Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: John Ajvide Lindqvist

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
John Ajvide Lindqvist

Who else loves this author's work? smile For me, he's the next Stephen King. I read Let The Right One In after my nan bought the book and didn't get along with it so I read it instead. I then read Handling The Undead when I was in Corfu last month and now I'm reading Harbour.

I find his ideas fresh and original and I find his work much easier to read than King's. Because of this, I just carry on reading his books. I find some authors' work so difficult to read that I give up half way through.

PandaPrincess~!

Facebook :)

Tumblr :)

Etsy :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree, John is absolutely wonderful, and it's a crying shame a lot more of his books haven't been translated into English. However, I'm still more closely attached to King because I've been reading him for longer, and have so many more of his books. Even so, John has a poetic, very beautiful but cruelly realistic way of putting things that is completely different to King's writing. You can always tell, somehow, when a work has been translated from another language, even if you didn't know before hand, and for some reason the sentence structure really appeals to me. Plus I find authors from other countries tend to be more in touch with the darker, more subtle sides of horror than straight up blood and gore which has become so popular in America and England.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

You need to read Little Star it is amazing and i couldnt put it down

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I got that as soon as it was translated into English! The parts about bullying (both the trolling and the phone bullying part) were painfully realistic.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm a huge fan, and I feel really privileged that I can listen to audiobooks read by JAL himself. And I just found a small free christmas story on his home page.

When it comes to JAL vs. King, I much prefer JAL even though I've loved King since before I got my periods. Possibly because his stories are in a setting that is much more familiar to me. Scary shit happening to people living in Swedish society becomes so much more frightening because it creates the feeling that it could happen to me in a totally different sense than scary shit happening in American society can. King's novels always take place somewhere far away, while JAL's novels take place in what could have been the nearest town. Or the school I went to. Or when I slack about and swim with my friends in summer.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^
I can see what you mean with the "familiar setting". A familiar setting makes it all seem more plausible, which I think is something he does on purpose.
I'm totally visiting Blackeberg next time I'm in Stockholm, though!

So far I've read Handling the Undead and 2 anthologies, Pappersväggar and Låt De Gamla Drömmarna Dö. I read them in Swedish and I don't know if there are any translations. But if there are, I can highly recommend them, especially the latter one, since it also contains nonfiction and parts of a script he wrote for TV-show Reuter&Skoog (which was hilarious. I'm too young to remember much of that while it aired, but what little I do remember was fun! It was also very feminist and challenges gender roles. I'm going to try and see if I can find any of the scenes that Ajvide Lindqvist wrote the script for). The anthologies also contain spinoffs for both Handling the Undead and let the Right One In.

I'm definitely reading the rest of his books some time!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't think the stand up comedy bit in Handling the Undead came across very well in English- obviously it's hard to make it sound funny as stand up often relies on expression and vocal emphasis to be funny, but I also think that it lost some context in translation.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I know, I felt so sympathetic towards little star. The only thing I found disappointing was the abrupt ending.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I liked it! It left me wondering whether the wolves would accept or attack the girls, just like society! Speaking of our darling Jon, I recently read a short story by him called 'The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer' that was amazing!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

That sounds good. I can't wait for his next book!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us