Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Actually good, non teenage vampire books?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Actually good, non teenage vampire books?

Without recommending Anne Rice, could anyone help me out?

It seems that a lot of vampire novels are thinly veiled self insertion fan fictions about a gutsy heroine in a vampire love triangle, mary sues all around.

Of course, this is my idea of a good life, but it just annoys me in books xD

So yes, please help me D: Save my faith in the genre!

Sex is of course, absolutely fine, I like a bit of cliterature xD

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Dracula :P

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

the Sookie stackhouse series are very good, they also contain lots of other supernatural creatures too. There kind of like a mystery type thing! And very hard to stop reading!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Let the Right One in by john Ajvide Lindqvist. His vampires aren't the elegant, seductive ones that seem to be a lot more common these days but it's still an incredible book.

. Tumblr . Flickr .

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series are pretty awesome. I read so many vampire books I probably ought to be able to recomend a load, but I can't remember any of them! If my brain starts working again I'll post some more names of books.

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't know if it is a teenage novel, but Soulless and its sequels Changeless and Blameless are amazingly witty, and include a cheery gay vampire chap as the protagonist's best friend. The novels also star a ravishing werewolf bloke and the main character is a forward-thinking young spinster with the ability to cancel out supernatural abilities in a Steampunk society.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I haven't heard a bad thing about the Sookie Stackhouse books yet! And I do love the TV show... I'll buy the first one on amazon maybe. Does it take long to get through them or is it worth buying a few?

I'll also have a look at the other ones you lovelies mentioned!

And also, have any of you read the Nightwatch/Daywatch books? The films were awesome!

But I've always been slightly worried about translated books ever since Battle Royale xD

-- Edited by Raspectre on Sunday 3rd of July 2011 11:02:03 AM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd say it's worth buying two or three of the Sookie books; I read the first one in less than a week!

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Vampire D is amazing.
It's not really aimed at teenagers or teenage girls though, I don't think.
Some of the parts are meant to be a bit horror but they aren't very hardcore or anything (to me anyway)
... D is gorgeous *drools*

Ooh la la tumblr,

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Oh dear, I'd love to start collecting manga again, but I have NO space for so many books :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I get my sookie books for my birthday bur my mum got them from book poeple they were loads cheaper that amazon about £10 for 9 if im correct!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Regular Crew

Date:

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Matthew Clairmont is an intelligent and handsome 1500 year old vampire from France who falls in love with Professor of History Diane in Oxford, who happens to be a witch. Relationships between witches and vampires are forbidden!
A sexy and smart read

-- Edited by VampireVixen on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 04:04:01 PM

It's always about blood

Regular Crew

Date:

Taming the Vampire, Chloe Hart, Tears of Crimson, Michelle Hughes,

-- Edited by VampireVixen on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 04:02:13 PM

It's always about blood

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never really been one for vampire books, but Poppy Z Brite's 'Lost Souls' is honestly one of the best books I've ever read.

Lush Guru

Date:

Fevre Dream by George R R Martin is pretty good. I didn't pick it up because it was vampires, but having read I'm glad I found a vampire book that wasn't shite.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I started the True Blood series a few months ago, and it's really good. I need to check the school library actually, and see if they've got the next one in...

Apart from those, I've just finished reading "Department 19", which is aimed at teens, but it's definitely not a twilighty girl-gazes-into-vampire-boyfriend's-eyes-for-a-whole-book thing. It's like a modern day sequel to Dracula with an undercover government department of vampire hunters and a load of action.

Honoured Mook

Date:

From my bookshelf:

• Richard Laymon has a couple of vampric novels which far from the romantic troubles of modern teen vampric writings.
  • "Cathedral of Vampires" by Mary Ann Mitchell is about good old fashioned vampires who like to watch humanity suffer, specifically the Marquis de Sade. If you know who he is then you will see why it's not really a teenage read.
  • "The Vampyre" by Tom Holland is 'the secret history of Lord Byron'. It's far more romantic than the last two (by memory at least) but it's still brillient.
  • "The Vampyre" (common title) by John Polidori is one of the first vampric works I believe.
  • Bram Stoker's "Dracula's Guest". Given and probably already mentioned.

These are ones I've yet to read, but have been recomended to me by the goddess of vampric literature whom I work with:

• "An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street" by J. Sheridan Le Fanu.
  • "The House of Balfother" by William Coft Dickinson
  • "The Goul" by Hugh Clifford
  • "The Living Dead" Robert Bloch

Finally one I picked up on sale for 50 cents. "Gothique" by Kyle Marffin seems to be unusual in it's about a bunch of goths who want their stories of vampires to be real and end up regretting it. Haven't finished and still don't know if I like it but I'll put it out there in case you do. Also, H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe may not include vampires but they do include dark themes of death, undead, maddness and things that go bump in the night. And Poe's characters border vampric, but it's never stated if they are or not.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles is always a good series.

When I'm in the mood for a cutesy short romance the Vampire Kisses series are really cute books. Very basic. But cute. I find my self rereading them and taking them with me when I'm stuck in a car or on a train.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've just found a good one, called The Cursed Ones, by Nancy Holder and Debbie Vigue, which is quite good. I've just ordered the second one, called The Damned.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

My blog

My Tumblr 

My Twitter

Baby Mook

Date:

Hey everyone, first post here after being a lurker for awhile. Thought I'd post this podcast for you guys since it's relevant to the discussion of books. It's from Boise State University's (where I graduated from and luckily work with now) Beyond the Blue program, a podcast series that focuses on various academics at the school.

This week's is from Dr. Jeff Wilhelm and he discusses the pros and cons of non-traditional texts (such as horror, fantasy, vampire novels) in education of today's youth and how they engage with it. You guys should check it out since it's pretty interesting. The podcast is at http://beyondtheblue.boisestate.edu/blog/2012/01/17/let-them-read-trash-the-power-of-marginalized-texts/

Honoured Mook

Date:

I adored the stories in the Sookie Stackhouse books. Her writing is poor but the stories make up for it. Dracula is by far the best vampire book EVER. It will never be beaten.

Regular Crew

Date:

I'd recommend the Anita Blake series, but while the early ones were good the main character is very much a mary sue these days. Still, if you can get past that they're good.

Regular Crew

Date:

SaraSunshine wrote:

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles is always a good series.

When I'm in the mood for a cutesy short romance the Vampire Kisses series are really cute books. Very basic. But cute. I find my self rereading them and taking them with me when I'm stuck in a car or on a train.

I'd have to agree, I love Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles! 

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

The Night Watch books by Sergei Lukanyenko are really good. Marlowe adores them, and though I've only read the first one, I would recommend them wholeheartedly too. The film was great, but the book is - of course - much better! ;)

:)

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

I love the Sookie Stackhouse Novels.... I got mine from the library!! No need to buy them ;)

I quite like the Morganville Vampire series too

Regular Crew

Date:

I'd totally recommend The Night Watch Trilogy by Sergei Lukyanenko.
Theres The Night Watch, The Day Watch, and The Twilight Watch.
It was also made into a feature film which is majorly long but it's wicked, amazingly done, but the books are so immersive, I was convinced I was in it and thought I was a member of the day watch hah.

Don't get me started on Twilight.. or it would clog up the forum with hate filled ramblings.
If you're going to do the whole vampire and fantasy deal, do it right.

*boycotts Twilight*

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I second the recommendation for Poppy Z Brite's Lost Souls. I think it's my favorite vampire novel. I would also recommend Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, for those who enjoy a little lesbian eroticism in their vampire fiction. Carmilla is the original archetype for female vampires, and the story actually predates Bram Stoker's Dracula by 25 years. An even better female vampire is Sonja Blue in Nancy A Collins' series. I have the entire trilogy in Midnight Blue: The Sonja Blue Collection, which I bought at a used bookstore for less than ten bucks. It's amazing.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

The historian. Have not read it myself yet as I am still getting through a couple of other books but I have been told it is really good although I don't think it has much romance in it if that is what your looking for.

-- Edited by Princess_valium on Monday 2nd of April 2012 10:21:35 AM

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ The Historian is epic. Absolute brilliant. As for good vampire fic, I'd recommend trawling fictionpress.net. It won't all be good by any means, but I've found some stunning work on there, and it's never what you expect.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Honoured Mook

Date:

Eccentrica Gallumbits wrote:

And also, have any of you read the Nightwatch/Daywatch books? The films were awesome!

But I've always been slightly worried about translated books ever since Battle Royale xD

-- Edited by Raspectre on Sunday 3rd of July 2011 11:02:03 AM

I read the German translation, all 4 of them, and I loved them. They are melancholic, realistic (if you can say that about fantasy) and full of different shades of grey. There are no clear villains or heroes and that's what I love most - apart from the constant (fortunately translated) Russian rock lyrics quotes that always tie in wonderfully with the general atmosphere of the respective scenes. It's a wonderful series about supernatural beings in general.
Don't get me started on Lukyanenko or I will ramble about his wonderful writing forever.

Another wonderful dark fantasy series that's not about vampires, but deals with magic, desire, the darker sides of the human psyche and also has blood, murder and seduction in it is "The Black Jewels". I love the first three or four volumes of the series. Everything afterward are variations on the themes that she already elaborated in the first three books, or at least that's what I think.

You don't know me.
Never will never will

I'm outside your picture frame ...
... and the glass is breaking. 

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us