Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How does everyone feel about e-book readers?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: How does everyone feel about e-book readers?

We bought one for my sister as a birthday present- as somehow her kindle shares books with Mum's, we can see she'd bought lots of Mills and Boon type romances -_-'

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was adamant that they would ruin books & that nothing would ever be the same now that Kindles are about.

Then I had an operation on my foot & have been housebound for 3 weeks, bored out of my face, read all of my favourites & didn't know what to do! My mum bless her, took me out & convinced me to buy myself a Kindle 3G because then I could be housebound & download books instead of sitting by the front door like a puppy, waiting for the postman to deliver me stuff. I'm glad she did because it has kept me sane & it is so lovely. My arms don't ache & if I get bored there's always something new to read.

However, I do love the feel & smell of a real book so not everything I own will be on there (I buy hard copies of all of my favourite books, Kindles are ace but in 10 or so years I'd prefer to hand down physical copies of books to my sprogs. They'll take one look at a Kindle & think "what the fuck?"). My only gripe I've got is that books (like the Harry Potter series) that I want to have on my Kindle purely because sometimes I fancy flicking through them & my nephew pinches my Kindle when he's here, even though I've got a hard copy, are damn expensive! £35 for all of the Harry Potter books!

**Massive Kindle bonus** for those of you who want to read PDF's & epub files on your Kindle, download Calibre for free & it'll convert them & tidy them up so that they look "proper". Also, you can share books by copying them from the "documents" file on your Kindle & sending them to others via email :)

-- Edited by Miss Nimrod on Monday 10th of September 2012 03:24:27 PM

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Miss Nimrod wrote:

**Massive Kindle bonus** for those of you who want to read PDF's & epub files on your Kindle, download Calibre for free & it'll convert them & tidy them up so that they look "proper". Also, you can share books by copying them from the "documents" file on your Kindle & sending them to others via email :)

-- Edited by Miss Nimrod on Monday 10th of September 2012 03:24:27 PM

or you could buy another e-book reader and not having to bother with converting files at all....

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:44:08 PM

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ ah, ok. They didn't two years ago though. I almost bought a kindle then but changed my mind at the last minute and got a sony touch instead. I'm really happy that I did, since most of my required reading for uni is in pdf or word. If I had bought that kindle, I'd have been fucked now or forced to buy a new one.

Also I suspect that the fragile screen is a Kindle problem rather than an e-ink problem, since I've had my e-book reader lying about in my purse for 2 years without any trouble.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:44:21 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

I know Kindles do PDF's but sometimes mine come through a bit weird looking Irilar & then it pisses me off! Plus when you convert them, it means you can share books with people who have different eReaders :)

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:44:32 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oooh if you could send me some links that would be fab! Most of mine are from free sites but I've got a couple from Amazon - bit pissed that a book I want is £3.67 in Tesco but £8.99 on Kindle...no sense made.

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:44:51 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

You are awesome Eisbaer :) this is going to keep me amused for hours!! xx

Regular Crew

Date:

I never thought I would get an E- reader, I love the smell and feel of books too much. Then I got given a kindle for my birthday and I really like it, makes carting my books around sooo much easier. And thanks Miss Nimrod and Eisbaer for your tips :D.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The more and more popular the e-books become the less bookstores and libraries we see.
It makes me feel uneasy.

I don't want books to go away.
I need them.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Necroposting, yo! I needed to ask something. There is a store that sells Kindles, where I live. Of the Kindle 5, they have 2 versions: a regular one and one with the exact same description, but 400 SEK more expensive and with the added words "ad-free" in the title.
On Amazon, I can find nothing like this.
Does this mean that regular Kindle is full of ads, or something like that?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I love my kindle but I still enjoy reading books from time to time. I love that new book smell :)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I actually must add that I have since aquired an e-book reader for my tablet and, IMO, the single greatest perk with them is every bookworm's dream - YOU CAN READ IN THE DARK.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Honoured Mook

Date:

I love my Kindle but I still buy books...£30 worth of books the other day. Was supposed to be buying a dress to wear out that night but felt like the books were a better option!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Look here http://www.whsmith.co.uk/dept/ebooks/home?page=1&results=60&sort=asc_bestSellerRanking

lots of modern books :D

I would try an ebook reader but the books are quite limiting. Also, I like to see people reading books whilst I am on the bus or in a coffee shop. If it is a title I have not heard about I can look it up online to see if the plot matches the book or is similar to authors I like. I hate going through Amazon book reviews it take too long!

I agree with the kindle in bath issue. Definitely a no no. Nothing beats breaking in a spine of a book either, or the beam of glee between finding the book and being at home with a pot of tea ready to go.

I doubt ebooks have reading group questions in the back either...

To have more will than fear is to be a super hero.

«First  <  1 2 3 | Page of 3  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us