Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How does everyone feel about e-book readers?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: How does everyone feel about the Kindle?

I love libraries. I love the smell of books. I like to stick post-its in my course-related textbooks.

I don't think Kindle and I were made for each other.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^In terms of academic usefulness, the Kindle is very good as you can have almost whichever text you need at the touch of a button.

The thing that my coursemates have noticed with the kindle though, is that it is absolutely terrible for plays and poetry as there are no line numbers. Try finding an extract of Paradise Lost with no line number, I dare you.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

I had this conversation with Critic a while back wandering around a bookshop and taking in all the booky loveliness. He was violently against the idea of e-readers and the like. Tuesday, he turned up at college with one. He doesn't hate himself. In fact, I hated him a little bit when I realised that he had both books we were supposed to be reading for college, plus a number of books about the author and the movements they belonged to AND the books for the rest of the year. Over break he asked the teacher for her recommendations on extra reading for the remaining units and then found them. On a purely academic level, that's bloody useful. Carrying that dinky little thing around in his coat pocket means he'll probably get to read them all whereas I'd have to go and find them in the library, providing no one else got there first, or in a bookshop and then carry them all around at all times to get the same chance.

Again, with the bulk/weight thing. I ended up, on my first day back, lugging ten books home in my rucksack. I'm still cycling to and from college, so the end result was pretty painful.

However, I'm still pretty sentimental about actual books. My room is full of them right now. If they were all on a little device in my bag, my room would be empty. I'm also wondering what this will do to the industry. Less production costs will probably mean that more manuscripts will be accepted, because they're more likely to bring in a profit. Since I hope to be an author myself, I kind of hope that my work won't be swamped in a world where novels are dirt cheap, not given much attention because they're so easy to get hold of and are largely crap because publishers don't care what they're introducing to the world.

If publishers cared what they introduced into the world, we wouldn't have had the Twilight series, would we?

Anyway, I feel like doing a Mother Shipton regarding the furture of (fiction)books:

People will still buy books, good quality hardback books that bibliophiles collect for their beloved libraries. We might see the death of cheap paperbacks, which I think is a good thing. They are just a waste of trees anyway. From an environmental perspective, I think e-books are great.

There will still be publishing houses. Both authors and customers need the quality control they can provide.

At the same time, the indie book market will grow. Word of mouth is very effective as a marketing tool considering the amount of time people spend on the internet.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

skgogosfan wrote:
"I kissed a gardener and I liked it"

It's bad I just searched that on Amazon isn't it? D;

Kindles seem very expensive and I don't think I read nearly enough to justify having one. When I've seen people using them on public transport they just look a bit weird. hmm

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Irilar wrote:
Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

publishers don't care what they're introducing to the world.

If publishers cared what they introduced into the world, we wouldn't have had the Twilight series, would we?

As much as is wrong with Twilight, it worked for them, didn't it? There's a lot of crap out there, but there could be so much more. You hear about famous authors being rejected however many times before someone takes them up. The not so famous, never even made it authors are getting rejected as well. Imagine if everyone who took something to a publisher got it published. In fact, don't.

Orengensaft- a kindle would be advantageous for the lovely bloke who used to get the same bus as me every day. He would sit there, very serious, in his suit with his i-pod and briefcase and... a trashy romance novel. Fair play to the guy if he wants to read it and doesn't mind anyone else seeing it, but there is the bonus of an e-reader that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Also, remembered this from a book I read as a kid. It's the last verse of a poem and it nearly made me cry.

The fifth verse is set in the future

And as you can see, it's the last

When everything's done by computer

And books are a thing of the past.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I can see how a kindle/e-reader could be useful for certain people or for certain times, like going on holiday it saves taking loads of books, or people who need to carry loads of books around.

personally I wouldn't fancy one. I don't buy books that much I get them from the library, and I love the weight and feel of an actually book in my hands, a kindle wouldn't be for me really.

It can't rain all the time...

my blog

facebook

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Mr Icks has just bought a HTC Flyer tablet, which runs the Kindle software. For him, I can see it being useful. He likes to read on his hour commute every day, and books can get awkward.

Me, I like the smell of books. I love to hold them. I have eReader software and books on my laptop for those days where baby Icks really will not let me read a book, but I'll always prefer to feel real books in my hands.

:)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was suprised with the gift of a kindle from my fellas mum for Christmas, and to be honest I wasnt quite sure I would use it. But since I got it I have brought it everywhere. I have all my favourite books on it and its cool that on the kindle store almost all the old classics are free. I can also save my own favourite stories from sites, journals etc onto it in PDF form...its pretty nifty and handy i must say.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I really love the kindle's idea and it'd be wonderful for schooling. I just hope that good old fashion books don't get replaced. I'm currently trying the best I can to support bookstores and such. I hope the e-readers don't shut them down.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Date:

I hope it's okai that I changed the title a bit? This discussion has definitively turned into a discussion about e-book readers vs printed books, and the title gives the impression that it's only one type of e-book reader. Which wouldn't be a problem except that there are people who are not aware that Kindle isn't the only e-book reader out there.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: How does everyone feel about e-book readers?

Seems much more sensible, Irilar, thanks :)

My feelings on e-readers were pretty vehemently against, until my mum bought one to take on holiday with her, and has been devouring classic texts at an alarming rate. She's also studying Latin and Classical History atm (!) and it's nice being able to direct her to free downloads of the texts, because then I don't have to give up my copies. I really can see the benefits of an e-reader (less of a Kindle, it must be admitted).

(Although, just a warning, if anyone does download a free text originally written in another language, check the translation: they can frequently be rubbish.)

However, for me personally, it seems a bit pointless. Lots of Mooks on this thread have proved that e-readers and physical books can coexist peacefully, but for me I think I'd need a fairly big impetus to actually get an e-reader. I like that they're making books more accessible, but I'm a student, I have a flexible schedule, and for me being able to wander into a bookshop whilst I'm walking to a lecture is a joy of life. Browsing in a bookshop is one of the best pleasures known to man (especially when the bookshop has a cat, as I discovered when I met some Mooks in Brighton!)

Basically, whilst I admire e-readers and see their place (I'm particuarly glad that so many Mooks have said it doesn't replace books for them), I don't have one, and as such have no impetus to buy one. I already have so many books, and I'm lucky enough to live in a town where I can easily get books for £2, so for me it's just so easy to get cheap books that e-readers don't hold much appeal.

Besides, I have a fear of lying in bed at night and dropping an e-reader on my face... :p

Date:

I've dropped an e-reader on my face, no problem compared to dropping a hardback copy of Lord of the Rings, or that big, floppy paperback coursebook in cognitive psychology that I read specifically in order to fall asleep (interesting topic, terribly badly written) which I fear could have suffocated me.

I wonder if there is a support group for reading related injuries out there somewhere?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

When I was about five years old I cut my finger very badly on a page of The Pig in a Wig and it bled like a fountain. I'd never seen such a hideous paper cut in my life. I ran around the library screaming blue murder until my teacher, flapping helplessly, wrapped it up in a tissue. I certainly would have appreciated the support :')

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a lot of free e-books from kindle and I love it. I'm back in college and I don't have enough space in my bookbag to carry around books and I have a lot of good free classic e-books too. In short I love books, e-books, and audio books. I love em' all!

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:42:54 PM

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eisbaer wrote:

I have a kindle, and I bloody love him. He's called Morby. Despite not being like holding a real book, kindles make up for it with internet, portability, the dictionary and all the free books. There are so many.. I have about 700 books on mine, all of which I want to read/have read (not just classics, for those of you put off by that. Though a huge range of classics are available on project gutenberg and the like, there is an even huger range of free modern books available on smashwords and even amazon, among other sites), and have payed for 4 of them. I think that's probably the best bit for me, as there's no way in hell I could have afforded (or have had access to) most of those books before having a kindle. I also love how it fits into some of my pockets (goth pants and army pants = large pockets), meaning I can easily take it anywhere. They're quite fragile thouh, any pressure on the screen and it breaks. Though amazon has a great return policy on kindles (I've had mine exchanged for a new one thrice, once because it malfunctioned - just bad luck - and the other two times because I'm.. well. I prefer more robust technology ;) That survives falling out of trees..

Still, I prefer good old fashioned books with pages and post-its when they're available. Aah, the smell of a new comic book.. No smell on earth is better than the smell of a new comic book. Not even coffee.

Another thing that I've just remembered that I like about ereaders, is that they save on so much paper/ink/various other things involved in printing and the transporting/selling of books. That's gotta be a good thing - I'm pretty sure that the positives of that outweigh the negatives of producing the ereaders, and the electricity etc. But I don't know for sure.

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Thursday 19th of January 2012 02:56:00 PM

New comic book/manga smell mixed in with the smell of coffee is the best scent in the world my friend. I also love my kindle for the same reasons that you listed.

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:43:13 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eisbaer wrote:
MarshmallowNoise wrote:

New comic book/manga smell mixed in with the smell of coffee is the best scent in the world my friend.

Haha, I'm going to have to agree with you on that one, it's like.. joy, rainbows, happiness and wakefullness all in one. Miracle combination.

*starts to drool*

Though thinking about it, I've always thought that manga and comic books smell slightly different. Probably because of the different inks/paper..

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Thursday 19th of January 2012 03:37:30 PM

The do smell a bit different but I like em' both, they smell heavenly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:43:28 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eisbaer wrote:
MarshmallowNoise wrote:

The do smell a bit different but I like em' both, they smell heavenly.

True :) They should bring out a comic book/manga perfume. Or incense. No, both. And scented candles.. And soap! The list could go on forever :D

I would actually buy that perfume along with candles, soap, and don't forget car scents. Whoever does this will make money off of me for sure.

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Thursday 19th of January 2012 03:56:32 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:43:44 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Sorry to bring up such an old thread - but I was interrogated on why I had a kindle the other day and thought I'd put my two penneth in. I have a kindle (got it for christmas) and I love it. I think you can download software to convert other e-book formats into the kindle format, I'm not sure. I've got it to avoid dragging a huge amount of books on holiday and to uni. I still adore my paper copy books but as a fervid reader I have many books that have been read literally to death and many of them would cost quite a bit to replace even in paper back or are really quite hard to find, but on an e-book they're often cheaper. I bought a second hand copy of The Return of Sherlock Holmes for about £5 (hardback, with the original illustrations) and have read it to the point where some of the pages have started to pull away from the binding, especially around some of my favorite stories. I looked on the kindle store and found the entire Sherlock Holmes collection for 49p, and as a lot of other people have mentioned. It's so much lighter! Some of the books I've read can't be held up in one hand, so it's a lot easier to carry around for bus reading purposes. It's also given me the opportunity to read books I may not have in the past, especially the classics as they're free a lot of the time. I've also got a periodic table and my statistics tables on it so I don't need to panic about forgetting them as my kindle always goes back into my college bag at the end of the day. (Yes, books are bedtime reading...they're more comfy when I fall asleep reading them if they're paperback....) A friend of mine loves the e-reader software she has on her iPad (can't remember which it is but I don't think it's the kindle one.)

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Honoured Mook

Date:

This is a topic of discussion very high in our household right now, we literally have hundreds of books and I love having shelves and shelves of them in the house.

We only buy from charity shops and it means that we experience authors we've never heard of before.

We recently bought a kindle for the mother in law and she loves it, so now my OH is wanting one.

I've tried hers out and I think its a good idea, I just wonder which great finds we will miss out on due to lack of charity shop finds :/

I've spent so much time throwing rocks at your window...That I never even knocked on the front door

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i love my kindle its amazing but i will still buy books and you would have to prize my potter an twilight collections from my cold dead hands

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ I'm thinking of buying the Harry Potter series on kindle because where my thumbs go when I'm reading them the print has rubbed off in the earlier ones and they're generally disheviled because all 4 of us in my household have read them so many times. :/

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to buy an e-book reader soon, is the plan.
I was considering a Kindle (it's possible to convert .epub format books to read them on a Kindle. I'm not too sure of how legal that is, but I think that as long as you've paid for the .epub book, it's at least not very immoral.), but then I found another that seemed good. Almost a little too good, in fact, for its price (799 Sek. And I had a card that gave me a half-price discount, too) with colour screen, video and music playback and twice the memory capacity of most other e-book readers I've seen. I went to the store that sold it to have a look at it today. Turned out that it wasn't an e-book reader at all, just a bad tablet posing as one. Didn't even have e-ink. I knew it was too good to be true.

So now I'm looking for something else. A Kindle would be good since it offers magazine subscriptions very cheaply, and then it's easy to buy from Amazon too, of course. Although I'd love an e-bookreader that can play music...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I like the idea of getting a tablet for writing, one with an e-book reader on it... Just because it'd be very, very handy and obviously great for rerference. But you can't ever take me from my books, neeeeeevvaaaaaaaaaaarrr!!

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i think you've got to have both, kindle for convenience and also random downloads you might not have read otherwise (and missed a little gem) and proper books for love. (my dune series, or my annotated and illustrated hans christian anderson)

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Regular Crew

Date:

I really truly do not understand people who hate e-readers because they are "beneath" real books. I have a kindle because I have a tiny bedroom and my books get a bit much, plus I really really like trees. I still buy used books in paperback if they are really cheap, or dont have an e reader option, but I love love love reading big books (harry potter Im looking at you) in a teeny weeny little gadget

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have an Sony eReader now and I'm definitely warming to the idea of free books online. However, downloading and buying books from the Sony website is a faff that would make a raving lunatic out of a saint. I have yet to manage to put a single book on my eReader from that blasted website. Thank goodness for the Gutenberg project.

Wishing I'd bought a kindle now. They look so much easier to use.

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us