Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Any dog behaviourists out there? HELP.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Any dog behaviourists out there? HELP.

Basically, the dog I live with, Harvey, barks at everything. He barks at people walking past outside, he barks when you let him out for a wee, he barks at other dogs out on walks, he barks when you're about to throw one of his toys, he barks in ther middle of the night at fuck all.

According to google, we have been going about everything the wrong way. When he barks outside we yell at him to come in (which doesn't work anyway), and we tried squirting him with water from a spray bottle, but he just barked at that instead.

When you try and catch him when he's barking, he bites, and nothing seems to work. Dog obedience trainers cost shit loads, so that isn't really an option. 

It doesn't help that it probably pisses off the neighbours as well (I speak as an ex-pissed off at dog barking neighbour myself)

How the hell do we make him shut up? D:

Edit: distracting him with his favourite toys doesn't work, nor does ignoring the barking, nor does "good boy"ing him when he stops.

And also, he's an adult dog, is it true you can't teach old dogs new tricks? :\

-- Edited by Raspectre on Saturday 18th of June 2011 08:37:09 AM

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Hold his favourite treat, say silnece, and wait for him to shut up. When he shuts up, you give him the treat and repeat the process until he understands he has to be silent to get a treat. I'm no expert, though.

Tumbling around

Tweet Tweet!

Honoured Mook

Date:

It's never to late to train a dog! That's one thing I picked up from my best friend who's training her dog at the moment. It just takes a bit longer to teach him/her things, as the dog is used to his/her old ways. :> Good luck with thy training!

Previously known as "maria"

Pope Arlenmia's Humble Bishop Hat-Maker

my bookface

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

thank you! I'll try bribing him with food!

He's been covered under a blanket all day though, so he hasn't had a chance to bark at anything. Im sure I won't have long to wait x_X

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My dog used to bark all the time too. We were able to make her stop, thanks to the dog clicker training. This thing cost only a couple of dollars and it really works. When you ask something to your dog and he listens, you press the clicker, you give him a treat and you compliment him like crazy. The last part may sounds silly but our trainer says it's really important because dogs wants to please you. You need to react like if it's the best dog in the world, if possible with a higher pitch voice.

It takes a couple of weeks before your dog really gets it but after a while, whenever you have the clicker in your hands, he knows there's treats coming if he does the right thing.

Here's a link that explains more about the clicker. If you have questions, let me know. :)

http://www.training-dogs.com/dog-clicker-training.html

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

Great advice, i'll be sure to try these things with my dog as she barks quite alot too and sometimes for no apparent reason!

Ooh la la tumblr,

Honoured Mook

Date:

first of all -- patience & repetition. once you start with one method you need to stick to it and do it exactly the same way every time (now if you eventually realize it isn't working that's a different issue...but if you yell at him one day and ignore him the next it won't do any good either)

it sounds like your dog is really high energy and frustrated. how much are you exercising him? make sure that he gets walked once or twice a day - more if needed, and consider starting to jog/run with him if he is a breed that has a lot of energy (make sure you do it safely, but this is a great way to release extra energy and exercise his mind). in addition just make sure that he gets plenty of interaction & attention and isn't barking out of boredom... for example in your reply you say he's been covered by a blanket all day in his crate --- well of course he's bored, full of energy and frustrated! it may seem a easy way to keep him quiet but it's not helping him. there are times when a crate is helpful (and i realize for many dogs a crate is their bed and 'safe place') but you can't keep them locked up all day and expect them to be a perfect obedient dog. generally just make sure that his needs are being met and not the cause of the barking - no health issues, nothing causing anxiety such as constant noise, normal food & water, attention, exercise.

once you've assessed his daily & your routine (daily exercise and how much attention he's getting) perhaps start with a training exercise, have him on a leash in a situation where you know he will bark (but make sure it is safe and not too hard to begin with - i.e. outside have a friend walk by that he will bark at). when he first barks give a short jerk on his leash and/or swift tap on his shoulder --- this is NOT to harm, you want it firm enough that it catches him off guard and claims his attention, but not to be painful. think of it as the physical equivalent of "hey!". you may use a firm 'no' or 'quiet' at the same time, make sure it's a powerful but not overly loud or high pitched (i.e. don't scream or yell).... you want to be completely calm and in control as you do this, have assertive energy and be thinking 'no' in your mind - have shoulders square and feel powerful, but not tense.

if he trys to move towards the friend/object, step firmly in front and use your body and personal space (think of it as orb of energy around you, your dog should learn to respect your space) and force him to move out of your space -- ideally you should need very little if any physical force, just use your energy - thus you 'claim' your space, and by doing so he can't invade your space to get towards the person. this is excellent to have your dog move out of the way if he runs right to the door when someone knocks...

it's not easy, but you CAN do it and old dogs CAN learn 'new tricks' - it's just finding the right way to communicate. i'm not expert, but i've always been interested in reading on more natural methods of animal training, of learning how to communicate rather than just force.

cesar millian is a US dog trainer/psychologist who seems to have really good practices - he has a show 'dog whisperer' (cheesy name) first time i watched out of boredom but quickly was hooked because he has a great personality and training methods. this is a list of tips for barking, not much but a start, you can also find copies of his show on hulu and other sites, there are plenty of episodes with barking dogs - i highly recommend that you do some searching into his training methods!

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembehaviors/5-tips-for-handling-nuisance-barking

so, let him get plenty of exercise & attention, stay calm & assertive when giving commands (and use your own body language/energy).... and finally if none of this helps to at least improve the situtation remember that paying for a dog trainer may be worth it - sure it may be expensive, but if you get someone who knows what they are doing they may be able to teach you how to fix the issue in only a session or two - thus making everyone happier! there is no super-easy-fix - even if a dog trainer tells you what you need to change, it will be up to you to follow through with the changes.

-- Edited by lemonslimes on Saturday 18th of June 2011 07:23:46 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My two cents: What breed is he? Some breeds are more vocal. My dog did this until I started barking back at her. Okay to do if you live with people who already know you're crazy. She still barks more than the others not for pointless things.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I suppose he doesn't go out as much as he can, and I suppose he is bored, he seems to have grown really lazy recently. We're not sure what breeds he is, we suspect he has Jack Russell and Welsh Corgi in him, but that's just a guess. Here is Harvey, he's a bit soggy in picture number two, he had just had a shower:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/5846021347_f183ddc6d5_z.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/5846587176_35494cef25_z.jpg

Lemon slices: I'm totally going to try all that! I need to be able to dedicate the time to him, everyone seems to be working now, leaving little time for him.

He charges round an awful lot, my boyfriend takes him out to play football with him most days, in which cases, Harvey will bulldoze around with a toy in his mouth and flap it. We take him for a run in the field behind the house in Summer, but he hasn't had many long walks recently, we've been put off by the weather >~

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

ffs, nobody I live with is helping, whenever I try to reprimand him, everyone else says to let him do what he wants, and when he barks no one does anything but ignore him. Also, whenever he goes somewhere he's not meant to, and I try to grab him he bites me....

Honoured Mook

Date:

Tell everyone they can't see him, cuddle with him or spend time with him as the way they are behaving is harmful to his training and therefore his quality of life. Dogs needs rules, they need diciplin as well as love in order to feel good about themselves, they need to know what to do to make you happy. If these people doesn't understand this, they're lazy and not fit to be around a dog.

He looks like a lovely little dog. I'm sure he'll be a bundle of joy to train as soon as he understands whatyou want him to do. :D

Tumbling around

Tweet Tweet!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

from your pictures, i'd say the guesses to his breeding are probably about right, what this means though is that you have a dog bred for herding (which includes behaviours such as barking and nipping) and a dog bred to chase and fight foxes in their dens. this little guy is really a big dog in a little body! jack russels and corgies have huge amounts of stamina and need a lot of stimulation, from what you've said in your previous posts, he sounds like he gets nowhere near enough. harvey should be getting a walk of about 30-60 mins in the morning, and another similar sized walk when people get home from work. bad weather is no excuse!

(this is why i spend most of my time in jeans and wellingtons and have a selection of dog towels in the bathroom cupboard!)

to keep harvey occupied when you're not around, toys such as kong's  http://www.kongcompany.com/products/dogs/kong-rubber-toys/classic/kong-classic   are really useful, i stuff my ones with a mixture of dried dog food (taken from their daily allowance to stop them getting porky) and wholemeal bread, if you feed a wet dog food, stuff that into the kong and then freeze for a bit. he'll spend time and energy trying to get the food out of the toy and more importantly, keep him occoupied.

all dogs need structure and exercise, harvey looks a little overweight in his pictures, but without knowing how much he weighs, it's difficult to tell. you should be able to feel his ribs under his coat, if you cant, then he needs to loose weight.

harvey's biting needs to be addressed, if he bites someone either in your home or off your property you are risking someone making a complaint against you under the dangerous dogs act, this can mean a dog control order being made against you, or ultimatley, harvey being put to sleep. a dog control order could aslo be made against you because of the noise and frequency of his barking. if i were you, i would check with your neighbours first to see if they have a problem and let them know that you are trying to train him, neighbours can seem fine face to face but may be secretly fuming, you won't know unless you find out.

harvey uses biting to stop people making him do as he's told, because he's learnt that this works. keeping a lead on him inside the house makes moving him safer for all of you, it also means that you can correct behaviours you don't want easier, because you don't need to 'catch' him first. keep some treats in your pocket, when harvey is good, let him know and give him a treat.

at the moment, harvey seems to be suffering from the 'no-one's in charge' syndrome. most dogs do not want to be pack leader, (it's a very stressfull position.!) but from your posts, i'd say he's taken the role on because he sees no leadership coming from the family as a whole, if you can get everybody to realise that harvey's life may depend on his owners taking control, you might find you get more support.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Perseverance is key. Trust me, sometimes it seems hopeless- I thought for months Mina would never learn her name, or stop biting, but now she's done both! She understands that she can't bite because it hurts; now she only 'play bites' with people she knows won't freak me and Dad, and she does it really softly- not really a bite at all -so you know she's aware of her own strength. Puppies bite their brothers and sisters in play, so they don't realize they're hurting you when they do it. We used to make loud yelping noises to stop her, which is what their siblings would do under the circumstances. Natural reaction kicked in and now she's lovely! In fact, these days she looks mildly offended if you make the sound near her :)

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us