Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Out of body experiences?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Out of body experiences?

I'm wondering how many people believe in out of body experiences? I never did until about four years ago, when I think I had one. I don't know how else to explain what happened, and I've not told many people about this because it sounds pretty bizarre, but here we go...

...When I lived in halls in my first year of university, I had a bit of an...um..."incident" that resulted in the loss of a lot of my blood. I started having a lot more seizures than I would usually have - like, a few in a day - and it really took its toll on my body. I was in bed all of the time with my ex staying with me to keep an eye on me. When he needed a break after being awake for days looking after me, my flatmate, C, took over checking on me at regular intervals, even through the night, to make sure I was OK (sidenote: what a lovely, caring guy. He was there every half hour on the dot to check on me, all through the night).

Anyway, C came in to check on me, and I'd had a seizure. I'd stopped breathing...but the weird thing was, I actually saw what happened as if I was on the ceiling by the door to my room.

C came in and sat down on the computer chair beside my bed, and I was really white and my lips were a little blue. He lifted my eyelids, and I could see that my eyes were rolled back completely - only the whites were visible. I watched as he opened my mouth and started rubbing my back and shaking me a little trying to make me breathe, and the whole time I was thinking, "please, tip my head back". He eventually did, and I heard a gasping sound...and that was all I remember.

The next morning, I went into the kitchen to find C and relayed what I remembered to him. He went completely white and looked like he was about to fall over. Apparently I'd just described exactly what happened, but he said that I was definitely completely out of it, and there was no way I could have experienced what I did from inside my unconscious body.

I was a bit freaked out, to say the least. It hasn't happened since...

...I still haven't decided what I believe about this, but I know that something completely weird happened that night. Does anyone have any views on this? Anyone had an experience like it before? 

xxx Eve

Honoured Mook

Date:

WOW I've heard alot about this and I have also knew a few people who have experienced this.
i recently watched the new horror "insidious" and course it's just a silly horror movie but it really got me thinking about out of body experiences... Basically what they were saying was the people who can do that have a sort of paranormal gift... a special ability, a sort of extra sense and it wasn't just that movie that gave this explanation I've read up about it... astro projection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

Beware Your In For A Scare!

Regular Crew

Date:

I believe in them, but I don't think I have ever had a true out-of-body experience. Recently, I had a quick experience involving my boyfriend. I talked about it in my thread, but I'll give you a briefing here. Basically, I smelled a fleeting scent of marijuana and asked him if he were smoking. As soon as he said he was, my mouth filled up with the taste of it and I became really lightheaded. So, I stood up to raise my window, catch a breath of fresh air, and cigarette, but as I was doing that, an image of him came to mind. I distinctly saw him smoking out of a pipe in front of a computer. When I asked him about it, not only did my description match his setting perfectly, but he told me that he felt something watching him.

Have you had an experience since then? If not, would you want to?

[Facebook] [Last.fm] [Personal] [Tumblr] [Twitter]
Feel free to follow the links.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I've heard of astral projection, but I've never really been sure what I believe about it. I'm still not sure what I think about the experience I described. I know it happened, but I don't know what happened. I don't think I have any kind of paranormal gift. I would like to believe that my body was just doing odd things because I was so ill...but then I don't understand how I would be able to observe what happened from the position that I did when I was completely unconscious and couldn't possibly have known what was happening any other way.

I've not had any similar experiences since then...and I don't know whether I would want to or not. It really creeped me out but, at the same time, if it happened again, maybe I would learn more about what actually happened?

xxx Eve

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Eep! I don't like the sound of that book! I've not seen Insidious though.

I don't think you're a wimp. As much as the experience wasn't scary at the time that it happened, it scared me once I'd realised what might have actually occurred. I still think it's a rather frightening thought - mostly the idea that I wouldn't be able to get back into my body. I was told by someone who read a lot about astral projection that there is a kind of "cord" that attaches you to your body and, if it's broken, you are no longer attached to it. I don't know how true that is (I'm also still not entirely convinced by the idea that out of body experiences are possible...but that does leave me in a tough position of explaining what happened to me another way, when I can't), but I really don't like the idea. If the cord is severed somehow, what happens to your spirit/soul/energy/whatever it is? Where does it go? I would like to imagine that it would be free to go elsewhere...but then I wonder, what happens to your body? Does it enter a comatose state? Does it die? I really don't know, but...well, I don't think you're a wimp for finding it a scary thought!

xxx Eve

Regular Crew

Date:

Hmm. Yes, I did hear of this before. Actually I tried to do it until I just gave up. Tho I believe I was close to getting out my body. I can hear the traintrack-like noise running in my ears and my body getting lighter. I got impatient and I decided to stop from there. Doing this process made me believe that Astral Projection can possibly be real,just with a lot of focusing and relaxation.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MY Friend used to be epileptic, when she was sevenshe had a really seriousfit, and she says she could see everything that was happenening. It must have been a pretty scary experience for a young child!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Regular Crew

Date:

I definitely believe in out of body experiences. I've had quite a few myself although I prefer to call it astral projection. With a lot of practice and focus it is possible to temporarily remove yourself from your body and explore the world around your unmoving physical self. It's kind of difficult and requires a lot of discipline to do.
That feeling when you wake up with a jolt, like you're falling or tripping over something, is usually a sign that you've had an out of body experience in your sleep. It's like while you're asleep you unconsciously remove yourself from your body and walk around your dream world until you start to wake up and you go crashing back inside yourself.
I've heard a lot of stories similar to yours though -a lot of people have out of body experiences in situations like that or in situations where they were close to death.

Baby Mook

Date:

I most definitely believe in this. I had my own experience once. My really dear friend from France was really depressed because she wasn't able to make me feel better from my own depression. I have NEVER seen her before in person yet and neither has she. We've both only been able to see how we look like through photos on facebook but nothing more then that.

Apparently according to her this was what happened. She was asleep on her bed when she felt as though someone was in the room with her. Her roommate was staying over at her boyfriend's house and she was all alone in her apartment, so it couldn't have been her. She then sat up and looked at the door and to her surprise she saw me. According to her I was in a short white nightgown with my hair down. She thought she was imagining things and turned around while keeping her eyes tightly shut. She then felt a pair of hands wrap around her hugging her from the back. She felt so calm after she felt that and soon fell into a dreamless sleep.

Back on my side I woke up finding myself in the hospital with the doctors and nurses staring at me as though I had come back from the dead. O_O

My parents were freaked out as well because they said I was asleep for 2 whole days and I never woke up. When my mom went into my room to wake me up I wasn't even breathing. They immediately rushed me to the hospital thinking I had committed suicide or something. O_O

I had a few more experiences after that but they were rather brief compared to this one. Freaky no? XD

Regular Crew

Date:

I've had a sort of out of body experience, but not actually including my own body. It was actually my sister who was having the out of body experience. I woke up in the middle of the night whilst I was much younger, about seven? My sister and I shared a room at the time, she was seventeen and just getting into her wicca. I woke up to see her stood above herself, just watching herself sleep. I shouted something at her, being the seven year old, I thought it was a ghost. She turned and slapped me around the face like she did when we were that age - my face did burn from the out of body slap. I even had a red mark. When she woke up, she stated that she was dreaming about astral projection as she had read it in a book.

To this day, it's creeped me out.

Quoth the raven, nevermore.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Yeah, I believe in them. Apparently two of my brothers had them, when in near-death experiences, but they don't talk about it much. I think I may have had one at the point of having a siezure last year, but then again, I may have just been very dizzy. I've been known to black out when drinking/taking substances, but I don't actually think I was blacking out at all... Sometimes when I'm sleeping I have dreams that are highly alert to the point of knowing whats really going on, despite being asleep...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wow! Lots of very intense sounding projections! It's odd that so many people seem to experience them spontaniously...
I've tried but I don't think I've ever truly left my body. Lots of intense visualisations and meditations and experiences like that where I'd be out of my body, but it's not the same I don't think...

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

What were your visualisations MissChris?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Well the most recent one was very nice and fairly intense, I was meditating and saw myself floating up out of myself (I can't explian how but I do not belive it was a fully-blown projection... More like I was imagining it happening I suppose?) Anyway, I floated up and shot into the sky, over the city, towards the moon, and everything changed to a much more painting-like scene. I swam around there for a bit and then my dead cat popped out from behind the moon and spent some time with me, then danced back to where he came from :)

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Ah I see. I'm trying to strengthen my pineal gland at the moment, so doing lots of meditation. I've often felt like I was on the verge of leaving my body, but just ever so slightly. Although since mediting and focusing on my pineal gland I've had reeally intense dreams and have noticed a decrease in the anxiety which I had after a series of events which left me a bit scattered.

I've seen light swirls, sort of like the outlines of people who "aren't here anymore" and felt their presence. Not like ghosts so to say, not as clear as that.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

My stepdad used to say he had them but purely because he was too lazy to get up and check to see if us kids were okay, so he could get out of his body and do it in spirit form. As a kid I believed every word he ever said anyway, but now I think about it, maybe he could just tell if we were awake due to all the giggling...

Either way, I completely believe in it, whether it happens to you on purpose or by accident I guess is up to your body.

I've been trying to do it for the past couple of nights, whilst meditating, it kinda feels like it's about to happen, as nothingface has, but my excitement about it distracts me.

It could have been a lucid dream? I've had one of those and it was the single most terrifying thing in my life |: but I'd love for it to happen again, it was so weird and surreal!

xx

"a meaningful quote that no-body's going to read or take advice from" - Some Dead Guy

tumblr + twitter

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thats funny about your stepdad!

Yeah, I think if someone was on the verge of having an out of body experience they get excited and distract themselves, just as I get when attempting to see aura.

I have lucid dreams a lot so I'm quite used to them.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I believe I may have had one during a bad reaction to Nitrous Oxide in the dentist's chair.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I heard from my heroine Catherine Wishart that you don't actually need any ingredients to cast spells because you can cast them on the astral plane. What is the easiest way to get on the astral plane? In case you're wondering what my intentions are, someone I love deeply has pissed me off and hurt me so badly that I may put a curse on him in the astral plane. Of course, I will throughly investigate what is going on before I take action but this is what I may consider.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Pretty sure you aren't supposed to fuck about with curses. You could just get your revenge by being super classy and being like "Oh I got over you a long time ago, you can go now" when he next sees you.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Curses are ridiculous. I respect that some people are okay with them, even if I'm really not, so I'm going to say this much - unless you're well practiced, you WILL fuck it up, and probably wind up doing more damage to yourself than anyone else. I would also argue that you need to be relatively emotionally stable to do any sort of deep spiritual work, and also to make a good decision, so it's a stalemate already. I wouldn't take action at all, if I were you. Be mature, and deal with it face to face - don't go sneaking around using magick as an excuse for bad behaviour and a show of your "power" over this person.

As a side note, there is a massive difference between spells, astral projection and curses.

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

My short answer: I've no idea how to go out of my body. I've tried several times without any flicker of luck.

My long answer: I believe that you do not really need any ingredients to cast spells anyway. The ingredients and rituals and stuff are tools to tune your mind to the "right frequency" for doing stuff. It sounds plausible to me that if you are astral projecting that is in itself a way to tune your mind right.

But as for curses, I'm afraid I see it as a waste of time and energy. Isn't it much more rewarding to do something to make your own life better? Anger is a strong emotion which can be channeled and transformed to fuel you willpower, but if you had a thousand pound note that you could do what you want with -would you rather spend it on taking revenge on someone or spend it on aquiring something useful for yourself? Would you spend that money on paying some thug to beat up someone or would you buy yourself a car? I think the same principle applies to magic. Why waste it on harming others when you can use it to make your own life better? 

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Baby Mook

Date:

There are two types of out of body experiences. There are those that come when one is close to death and are known as near death experiences. The other type is when your consciousness is separated from your body, but not due to some dramatic near death experience. I once spent a fair amount of time trying to learn how to induce an out of body experience without the near death part. I have read that those who have a near death experience come back completely different which doesn't usually happen with a regular out of body experience. I never did develop the ability to leave my body at will basically, but the few experiences I did have were amazing to say the least.

Ready for a new and amazing look? Get your pair of at fashion sclera contacts for half price now!

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us