Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: hand cream? Any reccommendations?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
hand cream? Any reccommendations?

I work in a falconry centre on a weekend and in college holidays, which is amazing and all, but because I'm always outdoors, usually with a leather glove on one hand and a nice rough leash in the other, and alcohol hand gel is applied after feeding a bird, preparing food, getting poo-d on by a bird (love my job :L) etc by the end of the day my hands are all dry and rough. :/ Can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced industrial strength moisturiser/hand butter type thing that might help? I've tried atrixo and nivea (which I must admit I stole from my Mum. Bad egg that I am.) but they don't seem to help unless I use loads. :/

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Almond Oil stuff from the Body Shop is absolutely amazing. I get incredibly bad eczema on my hands when the weather changes (to the point where they crack and bleed, and if it gets bad enough I'm completely unable to move my fingers because it hurts too much) but if I use this stuff they stay really soft and smooth :) Seriously, you should try it.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Vaseline hand and nail :) My fiance uses it religiously.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

The Body Shop hemp hand cream is really great as well, it's ridiculously moisturising!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I use an awesome hand cream that Capulett bought me for my birthday, it's inside a cupcake and smells like strawberries!

Norwegian formula do a concentrated one where you only need a tiny dab and it's AMAZING.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree with picklechops the Norwegian formula is really good, I have a tiny bottle in my bag, just in case.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Jergen's Ultra Healing is fantastic and has a pleasant nutty aroma. Handmade creams and butters from local shops are great to try--they are usually really thick and great to wear to bed. Well, the ones here are. :P

Alternatively, I can't say enough good things about Bag Balm (meant for cows' udders!) for a deep moisturizer (if you aren't allergic to lanolin). I don't know if smell matters much to you, but this has sort of a menthol-like scent. I mix a glob of this with vitamin E and sweet almond oil and wear overnight under tights after I wax my legs, to keep the lovelies soft and healthy. It's wonderful, but I really advise wearing it to bed with gloves/socks/leggings/what-have-you because it is pretty heavy and greasy. If there is any that hasn't been absorbed by morning, gentle washing with your typical soap/loofah combo will take care of it without stripping your skin of all that new moisture.

You may want to try switching up the stuff you use in the shower, too. Consider using soaps that have humectants--things that help retain moisture content. I like to try out different bar soaps (I tossed out liquid detergents a few years ago), and so far glycerin soap has proved to be one of my favorites. Glycerin is a natural humectant that has served my skin well. Not to mention the bars are SUPER cheap ($1-$1.75 per bar, less than a dollar per bar if you buy in bulk) and often come in a huge variety of scents. Overall, I've had to pay less for these bars than other fancy schmancy soaps where you're mainly buying the brand and the packaging, and I've been more pleased with the results!

Falconry, eh? That's bad ass!

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

cocoa butter... smells nice, and keeps your hands soft... not sure what raptors think of such fancy ways though.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

when i worked on the farm i used elizabeth arden 8 hour cream i used it for everything hands, lips etc

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Superdrug do a really cheap own brand one that feels quite nice. It's in a blue tube.

-- Edited by orangensaft on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 01:25:22 AM

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks for the feedback - looks like I have plenty of different choices :) Thank you Lady Murk - it certainly makes me feel bad ass when big muscly men edge around me like I've got a loaded gun when all I'm holding is a large owl :L And Lady Carfax, I'm sure they'll appreciate my soft hands when they need their beaks cleaning or aloe vera gel rubbed onto their feet if they manage to injure themselves :L
Thanks again guys :)
xx

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Honoured Mook

Date:

1) Your job rocks and so do you for having it.

2) What I like as a treatment for rough skin (I'm working in a nursing home, so it's disinfection, powdered gloves and aggressive cleaning agents all day) is olive oil. You can make a wonderful hand (and body) scrub by stirring sugar into some olive oil until you have some sort of paste or dough, then massaging your hands with it and then washing them with warm water. The sugar will be dissolved, the dead skin will be washed off and you'll be left with oily yet wonderfully soft hands. Let the oil sit on your hands afterwards, then you can wash it off if needed. I find that I just have to rub the excess oil off with some Kleenex, though, my skin drinks most of it up right away =)

You don't know me.
Never will never will

I'm outside your picture frame ...
... and the glass is breaking. 

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't use hand cream, because I need my fingertips to be harder than the soles of my shoes for guitar, violin and sewing (I don't even have to use a thimble now...which is a bit mad). I do get very dry skin sometimes, though, so...

...it's not cheap at all, but it really lasts forever - L'Occitane shea butter. It comes in great big tins, or in little lip balm sized tins. You can put it on as it is, as a balm, or melt it a little on the radiator so that it turns into oil, and you can use it on any skin that gets dry - lips, face, hands, body...wherever you like - and it doesn't have strong smell, which makes it more appealing to me, as I sometimes use it on my face (my face becomes very dry, and a bit flakey on my forehead and around my nose).

A much cheaper option is, as chillimoon suggested, to use olive oil. You can make body scrubs and face masks from all sorts of things that you can find in your kitchen - oats, avocado, sugar, oils - and you can probably find some good kitchen cupboard based ideas online.

xxx Eve

Honoured Mook

Date:

My mum uses Simple Intensive hand cream, she says it's the best one she's ever had, and it doesn't smell too strong. :)

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Antonym wrote:

The Body Shop hemp hand cream is really great as well, it's ridiculously moisturising!

I second this one. If you need some heavy duty hand cream this is it. I've tried a lot of different creams, and this is definetively the best one when you are doing stuff out of the ordinary. Spending your workdays with hands in the dirt, in strong soaps or outside in minus 25 centigrade -this cream keep your hands from getting sore.

It smells horrible, but it's well worth it. 

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Any Burt's Bees hand cream is amazing,especially the one in the purple tube...E45 would probably be a cheaper option though..:)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Irilar wrote:

Antonym wrote:

I second this one. If you need some heavy duty hand cream this is it. I've tried a lot of different creams, and this is definetively the best one when you are doing stuff out of the ordinary. Spending your workdays with hands in the dirt, in strong soaps or outside in minus 25 centigrade -this cream keep your hands from getting sore.

It smells horrible, but it's well worth it. 

can I third this? as it's a brilliant product, not too expensive really considering you only need a small amount and a tube last for ages, and I must be strange as I don't mind the smell :)

Forget the horror here.

Regular Crew

Date:

lady carfax wrote:

cocoa butter... smells nice, and keeps your hands soft... not sure what raptors think of such fancy ways though.

I have some coca butter lotion that works wonders- one use and it takes care of dry, itchy, or cracked hands.  The only thing I don't like about it is the smell. It smells like baby powder. And the smell kinda lingers. Works like magic, though. 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I do the overnight vaseline trick for my hands when they get bad (handwashing all my clothes for a year because I didn't have a washing machine, turns out washing powder's really harsh) where you slaver them in vaseline, put some gloves on and then in the morning they feel so nice and soft. I love it. :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

We use " climb on " down here it seems pretty good, plus you can put it over cracked skin and it helps to heal them

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us