Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Sexist, racist, disgusting twunt

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Sexist, racist, disgusting twunt

...the guy I quoted clearly wasn't joking.

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I wasn't talking about the guy you quoted, he's clearly an arse, I was talking about the page in general.

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

He winked at you?  [tsk] Musicians. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
What are you talking about? 
You heard me rapping, right? 

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I know you weren't. I know discussions on here tend to take lots of deviations from the original subject, but what I was talking about was that last comment, NOT the page itself. I understand it plays a role in the whole thing, but it's slightly annoying that some people have bypassed the arsehole commenter, and gone straight to my [arsehole] comment, which I posted three months ago, and getting upset about me 'labelling' all these people who think sexism is funny (boo-fucking-hoo).

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Punk Rock Princess wrote:

I must say I'm fortunate enough to have never been offended by a genuinely sexist comment before but I'm certain I probably will in the future considering I'm wanting to go into rather male-dominated professions.

Sarcasm can be very hurtful, many people have made sarcastic jokes towards me or my friends which have been deeply hurtful, so yes, it's similar. You agree with what my whole point was, "At the end of the day no one should label someone who cracks a sexist joke as a full blown sexist". I have no problems with people voicing their disapproval at such jokes, but they shouldn't be labelled unless it's known that they genuinely hold those beliefs.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on these points because we are coming from different perspectives, you seem lucky to live in an environment with little sexism where as I literally seem to encounter a sexist remark everyday, mostly just mild throwaway comments but the genuine bigotted comments come out quite often. I guess it's my shitty conservative backwards ass town? I feel like I am constantly on the defense.

Sarcasm is deeply hurtful on an individual level and any joke can be made nasty but when jokes are made that generalise, dehumanise or shit upon a whole gender or race then it's a whole new level of oppressive systems which favour the privileged coming into play. I'm finding it hard to explain myself here so I guess I'll just leave that one slide and hope that maybe you can see a difference or see why I see a difference between a hurtful remark and an oppressive remark.

And again I'll just reiterate my point that sexist actions still have an adverse effect even if the person doing it isn't sexist through and through. People I know say misogynistic things without even thinking about it because it's just the general opinion held by people around them, but by repeating these things they are still spreading sexist ideas. They aren't inherantly sexist people but they aren't thinking of the effects of their words either. I think that every action you do sends out a ripple into the world so I feel that while someone may not be a sexist, people saying something sexist will have consequences or affect someone or something.

But at the same time I believe if someone repeats these sexist actions enough times they actually do become a sexist. Sorry but I just give more shits about women who are potentially stomped on by hurtful jokes than whether or not the bro saying it is truly ~*A Sexist*~ or not - he still has the potential to upset someone or teach someone else that these views are acceptable.

Once again I wrote a bit too much. Perhaps it's because I believe that the small things count and together they all build up into one big system that keeps us from equality, and making light of sexism serves towards that.

And Liv: I understand why you replied to that page in that way, I get like that as well if I have to deal with shitty sexist jokes and opinions. Don't feel bad, even if what you said wasn't going to change their minds it's better than ignoring it and acting like it doesn't piss anyone off at all. xx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Yeah Liv, don't worry about your angry post. I made a thread almost exactly like this one about a year ago where I went ape shit at some guy calling him a 'bigot' and everything (although he was; his reply was a very lengthy and condescending rant about how inferior women are and how they deserve to be raped) so I think you're being a tad hard on yourself. We can't be calm 100% of the time and besides, under the circumstances it was understandable. Looking back you might feel a bit embarrassed about letting off steam the way you did, but relax! It happens to all of us.

Also, I have to disagree with Punk Rock Princess. I may be wrong in this, but from your post it looks as if you're implying that if you make an offensive joke without 'meaning it' then that's okay. I certainly don't agree with that. Now, if somebody makes a casual joke with isn't intended to be offensive accidentally, realizes instantly afterwards and apologizes then that's forgivable (let's be honest; we've all done it. Words have a habit of leaping to the tongue before they've really gone through your head). But flat out making derogatory comments, full knowing what you're saying, but believing it's all good just because you don't actually believe what it promotes is just wrong. For example, you wouldn't (thinking back to Tahlia's previous example, which you dismissed but I think is relevant) make a joke about black people then defend yourself by saying 'it's okay, I'm not racist'. It just doesn't make sense.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

@tammycuteness sorry, I thought that your original post was about the page as well as the comment. And I did say that the guy who posted the comment was an arse hole or a fuckwit, or something to that effect.

@electrosexual I understand how you think sarcasm is different, but it's the same principle as calling someone who makes sarcastic jokes as "always a miserable sarcastic bastard" as calling someone who makes a sexist joke as a "disgusting sexist bastard" because you (not you specifically, I just have a habit of using the word to make links of sorts) are defining a person based on their type of humour. I think we will have to agree to disagree seeing as we have had different experiences which have shaped our opinions differently.

@Lady Misery I didn't say that. I said it was wrong to label them without any evidence of whether they're serious or not. Mooks always seem to be against labelling, but calling everyone who finds that page funny a sexist is wrong. Some are, but not all of them. And I didn't dismiss electrosexual's example, I misread it & thought she was accusing me of something, which she wasn't & we cleared that up.

On another note, I'm so happy that I can have debates here without them degenerating into people making mindless insults and attacks- I don't get that often IRL so I just want to say thank you to the mooks =)

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

He winked at you?  [tsk] Musicians. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
What are you talking about? 
You heard me rapping, right? 

«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us