Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Becoming a Doula: A Doula for Every Woman

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Becoming a Doula: A Doula for Every Woman

I have decided to become a doula but instead of just being a birthing and postpartum doula I also want to be a adoption and abortion doula. Is this too much? Also can you give me more info about adoption and abortion doulas.

I want to hear all mooky opinions! Please and thank you!

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't say I've ever heard of an adoption or an abortion doula but I think it's a fabulous idea, and sounds like avery worthwhile job. It must be so helpful to have someone there at those points in your life to hold your hand.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree. I just wish their was more information about them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ermm... what exatly is a 'doula'?

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A Doula is a woman who offers non-medical support during the pregnancy and labor part. Sometimes the offer support after labor such as helping cleaning, cooking, and helping take care of the newborn. A doula also provides the family with information. Here is a wikipedia meaning:

A labor doula or birth doula is someone (often trained, though this is not required) who provides non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) to a woman leading up to and during her labor and delivery. A labor doula may attend a woman having a home birth or a woman laboring at home before transporting to a hospital or a birth center, where she will continue her support. They do not perform clinical duties such as heart rate checks or vaginal exams, or give medical advice. Labor doulas rely on techniques like massage, positive positioning, emotional support, encouragement, and nurturing to help women through labor. Many offer phone and email support as well as prenatal and postpartum visits to ensure the mother is informed and supported. The terms of a labor/birth doula's responsibilities are decided between the doula and the family. The doula is also an ally for the father or partner, who may have little experience with the labor process and may also find the process anxiety provoking. Studies have shown that childbirth education can help reduce paternal anxiety  and one of the doula's roles is to educate . A responsible doula supports, encourages, and educates the father or partner in their support style rather than replacing them.

Having a doula can have a powerful impact on a woman's labor including a 50% reduction in c-section rates, a 60% reduction in requests for pain medication, and mothers who were supported by a doula believed their babies cried less than others' babies and that they were better able to care for their babies than anyone else. In fact, Dr. John Kennell, who has studied the impact doulas have on mothers, babies, and childbirth, says, If a Doula were a drug, it would be malpractice not to use it.

Some hospitals and foundations offer programs for volunteer community doulas. Volunteers play an important role for women who cannot afford to hire a private doula and they can encourage mother-based birth advocacy and may help a woman to feel more empowered during her labor and birth.

A postpartum doula a.k.a. postnatal doula provides support to the mother and family following the birth and immediate postpartum period. This can be for a few days or up to and beyond six weeks, depending on need. This may include breastfeeding support, newborn care assistance, cooking, light housekeeping and errands. She offers education, companionship and nonjudgmental support during for the few weeks following the birth. Also provides evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents and makes appropriate referrals when necessary

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have no information to give you, but I think it's a wonderful idea. Go for it!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Well there's something I'd never heard of. Sounds like a really good idea though, I don't think enough people realise that women (and their partners) need support with abortions/ adoptions as well as birthing.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Fantastic idea! Doula's are such a big support.
I'm afraid I don't know much about it, though. I wanted a doula for birthing and helping me settle in with my daughter, but there wasn't anyone close enough. :(

:)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you Mooks! ^.^

Lush Guru

Date:

I think that's brilliant. I mean, people are always having babies aren't they? Plus, I've heard it's really scary. Seriously though, what a worthwhile and meaningful career choice.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you Alka. (=

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i really hope you do well! i think my mums friend is a doula. i agree with alka, people are always having babies! good luck, imsure you will do really really well! :)

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

What is an abortion doula?

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ They are women usually are emplyed by abortion clinics who are there to hold your hand and comfort you before and during the proceedure. Some are also involved in aftercare.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you Florie!(=

Thank you Charlie for explaining it to TC for me. ;)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

That would have been mega nice. That's a lovely thing to want to be.

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you TC! (:

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Sounds like a wonderful idea. I think we need more adoption and abortion Doulas (if that is the plural)
THE WORLD IS YOURS, MARSHMELLOW.

-- Edited by Amaranth=Rayne on Saturday 5th of March 2011 08:26:59 PM

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Aww thanks AR!smile

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Wow, I'd never heard of this before I read this thread but it sounds like such a wonderful thing to do!

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

I hadn't heard of this either before this thread, but it sounds really lovely, your clients would be really grateful and, as Alka said, it's not really an industry that will become obsolete because there will always be births!

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

As I wanted a calm, natural birth, a doula would have been very helpful. I panicked when I suddenly went from feeling normal to the full throws of labour, no build-up at all, and I really could have done with someone to help me calm down again as it's so easy to get overwhelmed.
As I struggled so much in the following weeks, a post-natal doula would have been a dream then too. If we do have any more children I will be looking for one again.

:)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My mom's boss is a doula on the side. I think it's one of those jobs that not very many people know about, but are very important and can be really rewarding. Go for it, MarshmallowNoise!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you mooks! (=

I'm still going to college for at least two years for my Early Childhood Development degree as well as doing my own research on the side. Also I will be taking Emergency Medical Science courses at my college to be more safe.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us