Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What is the most disturbing film you have ever seen?

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: What is the most disturbing film you have ever seen?

^i just finished watching it. tbh i don't find it that disturbing :S i found requiem for a dream a lot worse :S maybe i'm just weird ^^

TOAST BUSTERS!

i ain't afraid of no toast ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Has anyone here seen Un Chien Andalou? I only got around to watching it this evening, and I'm not really sure what to think of it. I mean, I did think it was visually beautiful and all, but I didn't understand a thing that was going on! 
It's a short though, only around 15 minutes and it's also on youtube, so it might be worth checking out if you haven't seen it already.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Florie wrote:

aarghh! ii cant remember what its called! but it was rather creepy! it was about a little girl who had a broken collar bone and anill man who tells her stories and theyre both in a hospital hmmit was really good though.not terribly disturbing bit still

The Fall? It's not really disturbing but it sounds like what you're describing. It's an amazing film though. :)

I try and avoid disturbing films; I used to faint watching safety videos about not going into electricity stations and knife crime at school, I really couldn't handle anything more hardcore than that, ha.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Just reminded me of another piece of horridness,a German safety film called "Fork Lift Driver Klaus",about the adventures of incompetent Klaus. It was supposed to be a spoof,but played straight. However,I just found it a nasty tirade of blood,severed limbs,and decapitations. I expected it to be a tongue-in-cheek humourous film,but I was badly mistaken.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookface (mod)

Date:

The most disturbing drama I've ever see is Threads. Ghostwatch really disturbed me too, Pipes is here! Pipes is here! The BBC have done aired some pretty horrible things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Oh God, I just read the description of Threads and I feel a bit ill :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I saw "Threads" a while back,and I didn't think it was disturbing. Bleak and depressing,yes,but because it was trying to be a factual documentary,not disturbing. Everything it showed was likely to happen,or at least plausible. It pulled no punches.

Far more disturbing was the cartoon version of it,called "When the wind blows",or something similar. It was a cartoon following a family in the aftermath of WW3,but it was just horrible and made me cry. Even just thinking about it makes me upset. I think it's because cartoons are associated with humour and children's entertainment. They're not SUPPOSED to be grim and relentlessly hopeless. Whoever got the idea of "hey,let's make a cartoon about nuclear war and slow death!" is not a nice person.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mookface (mod)

Date:

^ That's why I found Threads so disturbing, because it was plausible and done as a documentary! Things which are deliberately made to be creepy and disturbing are easier to distance yourself from, I find, so disgusting horror films would have less of an impression on me than Threads did, at least with horrors I can think "That's very clever and effective, I bet the creatives were pleased with that".

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

After seeing Un Chien Andalou mentioned here I hunted it down. I wasn't disturbed, but the creeping ants on the guy's palm made my skin crawl. I've always hated ants ever since a neighbour put them all over my back one summer *shudders*.

On the subject of horror 'documentaries', The Poughkeepsie Tapes creeped the fuck out of me. There is one scene in particular where the serial killer is crawling along the floor in a beaked mask which really got to me, I've always found those type of masks unsettling.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^LM-in that case,don't watch Sesame Street,ever,and avoid the films "Them!" and "Phase IV".

Antonym wrote:

^ That's why I found Threads so disturbing, because it was plausible and done as a documentary! Things which are deliberately made to be creepy and disturbing are easier to distance yourself from, I find, so disgusting horror films would have less of an impression on me than Threads did, at least with horrors I can think "That's very clever and effective, I bet the creatives were pleased with that".

I think I find things disturbing more when your expectations of them are somehow upset and turned upside down,or if (going back to my Klaus example) you expect something to be funny but it isn't. So when you watch something billed as a factual drama about nuclear war,and get exactly that,you're not disturbed. Related to this is something I read about the psychology of horror films,which was that the closer to reality a horror film was,the more disturbing it is. So zombies and vampires and Frankenstein are scary and bloody,but fiction,so you're scared safely. But stuff like the "Elm Street" films or Jack the Ripper are more disturbing,because IRL those footsteps behind you on a dark night won't be Dracula,but it might be your local serial killer after their next victim...

The Ripper! Jack the Ripper!

Dave.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

^ I used that song in a devised piece of drama I (and a group... not that they got much input, hah!) put together about the possible identities of Jack the Ripper! It was our opening track and played over a mimed London street/pub with Jack stalking through and interacting with people. Truly ace tune.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yes,it is,and also a bit creepy too!

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

...after reading about Threads I did a sort of accelerated skip-through-watch of it on Youtube and I feel upset and sick and horrible. You're right, Dave: the more realistic something is, definitely the more upsetting or scary it is. :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Exactly. Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are to not have the threat of global war looming over our heads like the older generations did. I wonder,sometimes,what the outcome of WW2 would be if inflicted on today's youth. Would we fight on the beaches,or go home and learn German?

Dave.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

My mum always tells me how when she was a teenager they were convinced that they were going to die in a nuclear war!

In the words of Queen's 'Hammer to Fall': "For we who grew up tall and proud in the shadow of the mushroom cloud"...

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yes-it's a strange game in which the only way to win is not to play!

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Persona is probably THE most disturbing film I've ever seen. It's not a horror flick but it always scares the living daylights out of me. Right, all Bergman's films are disturbing but this one is properly fucked up. I love it.

Spiggy suddenly remembers another disturbing film and does an edit: Dogville is as disturbing as. Honestly. It's brilliant.

-- Edited by Spiggy on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 07:35:25 PM

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Silent Hill scared the shit out of me.I got rid of all my horror films that day and vowed to never watch horror again.So far so good.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ the game freaked me out more

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I just watched clips of Threads.

D: So. Disturbing.

Regular Crew

Date:

The Road really had an effect on me. I don't think a movie has ever disturbed me so much and lingered in my brain for so long.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Silent Hill games scare the living hell out of me. My last memory is me button mashing, trying not to look but looking anyways, screaming, and then my untimely demise. Silent Hill 4's song Room of Angel is beautiful though.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm proud to say that sitting across from me is a pile of Silent Hill Games; 2, 3, 4 and Shattered Memories. I've yet to complete the last two. I love them so much, the atmosphere is utterly perfect.

I would certainly say that the Japanese horror Audition is massively disturbing throughout the second half.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I haven't seen Audition, but I read the Wiki page and it freaked me out like crazy.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MarshmallowNoise and Lady Misery, you're damn right about the Silent Hill games! They're incredibly scary! So are some Resident Evil and Dead Space games.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The second half of Audition is disturbing but I love the movie. I am a huge fan of Takashi Miike. I also love his One Missed Call and Ichi the Killer.

Would Stephen King's Misery also count as disturbing? I remember this shocked me when I saw it as a kid but now I see it as funny.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MarshmallowNoise wrote:

Would Stephen King's Misery also count as disturbing? I remember this shocked me when I saw it as a kid but now I see it as funny.

the book got to me more and the fact that there are real life 'angels of death'

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I saw Stephen King's Misery at summer camp when I was like 12 or 13. The camp was in the middle of nowhere and I remember walking back to the dorm in the wood, being really scared!

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Misery is one of my very favourite Stephen King novels/movies. Annie fascinates me, and the whole claustrophobic, trapped, tense atmosphere of both versions sets me right on edge. I love it!

Lately I've been getting into creepy stop motion animations. Most of the ones I've been watching are by Jan Scanmajer- check this one out. I love the jerky, unnatural movements, the beautiful design of the characters, the sheer creepiness of it all.

-- Edited by Lady Misery on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 08:57:50 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Have you seen the Adventures of Mark Twain? The one with the masked figure is just so creepy...*shudder*

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us