Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What is the most disturbing film you have ever seen?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
What is the most disturbing film you have ever seen?

I don't mean the most gory, or freaky in the usual sense- I mean movies which llinger in your mind for days afterwards, films you had to stop watching part way through then watch another day because you couldn't get it out of your head. I mean films which really crawled under your skin and gave you genuine chills. I'll start us off-

1. Eraserhead. I started watching it on youtube and was bewildered by it, truly and utterly. I didn't understand a lot of what I was seeing and that panicked me, particularly the weird scenes in Mary's house. I felt somehow dirty after watching it, although there was nothing blatantly sexual about the movie, but it left a creepy residue on me that took a while to get rid of. I found the baby scenes the most distressing, and the ones with the Lady in the Radiator. I do enjoy her little song though :)

2. Begotton. This film is weird. There is no other word for it. It's an experimental take on the story of creation, all shot in black and white, and it's... well, the first scene scared me a lot more than it should have done. You have to see it to understand quite how horrible it is, and the fact you can't properly see what's happening because of the lack of colour makes it very much worse.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The recent Nightmare on Elm Street. I had nightmares for a month. And the bit where Nancy and Quetin discover the truth? I had to pause it and cried for a whole ten minutes.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Mysterious Skin, An American Crime and Requiem For a Dream. The first wasn't that bad (though still quite unpleasant in bits) but about three quarters of the way through there was a scene that made me pause the movie, freak out and then start crying for a long time before I could start watching again. Possibly the most awful scene I have ever seen in a film. Requiem was beautiful but I felt as if I'd lost all hope and will to live after watching it!
Eraserhead was less shocking than the ones I've mentioned, in my opinion, but there was definitely something about it that made me feel very uneasy (like the chicken scene...) and I also felt strangely dirty after watching it.
Funnily enough though, these are all favourites of mine, so I guess the disturbing approach works.

edit: Ergh, yes! I'm definitely with Alka on The Strangers. The idea of someone coming into my house is the most terrifying thing I can imagine, so I really couldn't handle that film. I'd say it's scarier than the others I've mentioned though, it's more of a disturbing thriller than an ordinary disturbing film. Makes you jump in your seat and feel a bit sick. :(

Might also be worth checking out Funny Games, it has a similar setup. I've only seen the US remake and I don't find it very disturbing at all, actually quite funny/enjoyable at times, but it's on a lot of those "Top _ Most Disturbing Films List" and I have a friend who cried watching it and couldn't keep going, and she looked at me a bit strangely after that... Maybe the original is better, but I couldn't say.  Cherry Tree Lane is similar if you're into the whole intruder thing.

The Last House On The Left is a bit of a weird one in that the first time I watched it it was only a bit unpleasant, but the second time I watched it I had to force myself through it and even then couldn't finish it because I was shaking and felt so disgusted. Unlike the others on this list, it's less of an interesting, well made film and more just there for shock value, but it was definitely disturbing.

I feel like such a creep having watched all these weird films :(

-- Edited by soundsofdentage on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 11:10:54 PM

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Honoured Mook

Date:

8mm.

I was like 13 when I watched this and ive only recently discovered the title of it as i couldnt remember but felt like i need to watch it again. I havent re-watched it yet, but i remember it to be pretty awful.

Lush Guru

Date:

The Strangers. I've said this before on here somewhere else, but I swear I'm already freaking out because I'm thinking about it again. I can't describe it, look it up if you want but that kind of shit fucks me right up.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I've got a taste for horror and suspense in all flavours, so not those. Films which genuinely sat with me for ages and disturbed me are...

Local Hero. I saw it when I was far too young and could not believe that the phone call at the end could in any way be a happy ending.

How to train your dragon. Okay, I had PMT, but the whole thing with the mutual dependence REALLY got to me.

Whatever happened to Baby Jane. Fantastic example of American Gothic. Who was the winner in the end? Which sister did I most not want to be?

I second Funny Games - the original.

One man's disturbia is another man's easy riding :)

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

aarghh! ii cant remember what its called! but it was rather creepy! it was about a little girl who had a broken collar bone and anill man who tells her stories and theyre both in a hospital hmmit was really good though.not terribly disturbing bit still

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ouhh! I like this thread!

The Exorcist (The music and the girl's face haunted me for a long time...)

Clockwork orange (The wide-eyed close-ups of Malcolm MacDowells are quite sick.)

Cube (The concept itself is very disturbing... This movie is brilliant but scared the hell out of me!)

The Last House on the Left (That one almost made me sick.)

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^Definitely on Clockwork Orange!! It's my most favorite movie ever, but I was literally seeing his face behind my eyelids for weeks. And the music... Ohh.

It seems silly and all, but the movie adaptation of "Hair!" disturbed me. The only disturbing bit was at the end, where George is pretending to be Claude and marching onto this cargo plane headed for Vietnam. The cargo plane's doors shut and you see Claude running into the Army base, the cargo plane literally going right over him. Then it cuts to the Tribe standing around a gravestone that says "George Berger, b 1948 d. 1968."

Oh my God. I cried so hard for hours and just thinking of it makes me slightly teary.

Honoured Mook

Date:

i found the pretty disturbing :S and requiem for a dream made me cry at times that weren't sad D:

TOAST BUSTERS!

i ain't afraid of no toast ;)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I agree with Requiem for a Dream being the most disturbing. That film messed my head up for a few days afterwards. It's mostly just the last montage bit where the girls do the dildo scene and Jared Leto is writhing in pain from losing and arm and Shaun Wayans is shovelling stuff and the mum is all messed up. It's just the way it's all put together, proper messed me up.

Also agreeing with the stranger. I watched that first when I was really drunk and I kept forgetting what had happened so thought I was just watching a film with people in a house and then freaky people would appear in the background and it really scared the shit out of me.

Black Swan looks a bit disturbing but that's from Darren Aronofsky and all his films are a bit messed up. ie. Requiem for a Dream.

Honoured Mook

Date:

roobikscube wrote:

I agree with Requiem for a Dream being the most disturbing. That film messed my head up for a few days afterwards. It's mostly just the last montage bit where the girls do the dildo scene and Jared Leto is writhing in pain from losing and arm and Shaun Wayans is shovelling stuff and the mum is all messed up. It's just the way it's all put together, proper messed me up.

i was totally confused about that part D: i didn't know wether to cry, laugh, turn it of, find it sexy, RAWR D:

TOAST BUSTERS!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree with A Clockwork Orange. It was one of those films I wasn't sure whether I should be enjoying and I didn't know how I felt about it because it was disturbing as fuck but so good. Other than that I've not watched anything that disturbing as far as I can remember...

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

showgirls!!

sorry now for a serious answer

the rob zombie remake of halloween 2, the rape scene in the mental hospital as it actually used to happen in real life

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

strangelylouise wrote:

I really liked it, but I couldnt sleep after watching Se7en...and that was recently I watched it.
I thought it was really clever and intruiging..but disturbing. The most disturbing part for me was the scene with the force-fed morbidly obese man...it was so realistic...disgusting.
And also the fact that the characters were so relatable and real, yet none of them got any resolution or clarity or happiness at the end. Aside from the whole receiving-your-wifes-head-in-a-box thing that happened to Brad Pitt, I thought how it all ended for Morgan Freeman's character was heartbreaking...and the line;
"The world is a fine place, and worth saving.. I agree with the latter" haunted me for days.
Was anyone else this affected by Se7en?

i pissed myself laughing at the part were they see a dead dog and kevin spacey says 'i didnt do that'

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'll third "funny games". The original that is, I haven't seen the US remake. I was watching strangers suspiciously for a long time afterwards, which is bothersome when you live in a city.

Requiem for a Dream and Eraserhead was quite disturbing too, so much that I don't intend to ever watch them again.

Michael Hanneke, Darren Aronofsky and David Lynch are all directors whose films I don't watch unless I have Ouroboros handy for comfort afterwards.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

For some reason I'm OK with watching scenes with excessive blood and gore, but I find graphic rape scenes very difficult to watch. Although I haven't seen Irreversible the entire way through, we were made to watch the rape scene in film class and I found it traumatizing. I've also seen the entirety of the original I Spit On Your Grave and that also made me feel sick for days afterwards.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I felt the very same about I Spit On Your Grave. I made it through all the rape scenes, but seeing her wandering around all numb and ruined afterwards made me turn it off. I'll probably try and watch it again at some point to see the revenge, but it really hit hard at the time. It's sad and sort of odd that it was the aftermath rather than the rape itself that really got under my skin.

I was utterly unaffected by Se7en, oddly. It didn't leave an impact on me at all. But The Innocents, an old black and white adaption of The Turn of The Screw by Henry James left me feeling quite stunned the first time I watched it, and The Eyes Without a Face had an unsettling undertone that stuck with me for a while after watching it. The girl in the movie was so eerie, so doll like, that it made me feel quite creeped out. She was very beautiful though.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't think it's even the content of Requiem that's the most disturbing thing; it's how effectively it's presented. Everything just overloads and becomes too much, especially at the clinching bit where the music crescendoes and the montage kicks in...it's so overwhelming.

Agree on Mysterious Skin. Child abuse, male rape, the works. Bit much.

Also, Lilja 4-ever. I had awful dreams after watching it. One thing after another after another.

That adaptation of Jude the Obscure with Christopher Ecclestone in it. Mind you, the book's bad enough.

Honoured Mook

Date:

i'm watching the clockwork orange after so many mooks have been talking about it. i don't know wether or not to be scared.

TOAST BUSTERS!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Antichrist...deeply unsettling yet oddly compelling. The opening sequence is really beautiful from a technical perspective but...well, I kind of got lost at the clit cutting scene. :S
Need to watch it again though.

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^The Antichrist was possibly the least enjoyable film I've ever seen, not just because it was so unsettling, but because of all the gore, creepy sex and genital mutilation. I had to watch it in three parts because it was just so difficult to get through at times. There's also a bit where a guy gets his testicles crushed, a hole drilled in his leg, and a fox that whispers "chaos reiiiigns." Very odd, and much more graphic than, say, Eraserhead or A Clockwork Orange.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

What Antichrist is about one can have a long discussion about, it is a very interesting film. Personally, I think it is about modern man's fear of nature and women, and his arrogant belief in his ability to control and subdue both.

There is a few graphic scenes in it which is far from comforting, but I think they belong. It's a bit sad that the focus have been on those "shocking" scenes, because it is a great film that gives some food for thought.

Personally, I don't find graphic depiction of violence in a film disturbing. If it's to much of it, it's downright boring. However, when the film don't show you any violence at all, but makes you imagine a lot of awful things -that's when it becomes very disturbing to me. And that is one of the reasons Funny Games freaked me out.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been dying to see Antichrist for a while now. I think it sounds intriguing, and deliciously creepy enough for my tastes. The 'chaos reigns' scene is the only one I can find anywhere :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You always come up with the most interesting things LadyMisery and I love you for it!

Arang: Its a South Korean horror film but not in the ghost department. The disturbing part of the movie is when the truth was unveiled. I just hate to think that could happen to anyone. I also like the music score.

The Last House on the Left: I'm a fan of Wes Craven with films like A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream but nothing prepared me for The Last House on the Left. This film was very sadistic and violent what with the rape and murder scenes. It was said that the scenes even disturbed the actors and crew during filming. This particular film made me sick and even though its been years since I last saw it, every now and again I find myself thinking about it.

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Thursday 27th of January 2011 11:04:05 PM

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thanks to you all,I have a list of films now to avoid. Mine is "Fiend Without A Face",a b/w b-movie horror film from the 50s involving invisible monsters killing and controlling unsuspecting humans. What made it so queasily unsettling,for reasons that I can't really explain,is that the monsters in question are disembodied human brains. Now you might think "haha rubber monsters lol!" but I just found it weird and unsettling,and I've seen a few weird b-movies.

Full film is on YT here,if you've 75 mins to spare. Rated "X" originally,"P.G." now. (although imo it should be a "15")

Serious question-a lot of the films mentioned are 18 rated for good reason. I'm curious why anybody would want to watch films obviously containing disturbing content and aimed at older people,knowing they would be or are likely to be upset by it. I'm over 18 and I certainly never intend to watch "Cannibal Holocaust" or such like.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^I find the films deemed appropriate for my age group sort of inane. I mean, really, there are only so many times you can watch Disturbia, which was apparently made to scare teenagers and wasn't scary.

It's also sort of a contest, I guess. If you can say you weren't scared by a movie that everyone else found scary, then people are in a sort of awe.

And besides, in A Clockwork Orange, Malcolm McDowell's voice is just... awesome.

I forgot- 2001: A Space Odyssey freaked the hell out of me. Granted, I was six and couldn't quite understand it, but I still refuse to watch it. Something about the colors used and the Hal computer.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A lot of horror aimed at our generation is boring, slick and utterly Hollywood, stripped of everything which makes a film properly disturbing in fear of upsetting the masses or not getting enough money raked in. Directors don't seem to care about actually frightening people anymore; they just want to milk their cash cows and make some gore happy teens go 'omg Saw is well scary lol'. I find the less mainstream stuff much better quality because the people making the movies aren't hugely bothered about the money- they're doing it for a pure love of horror, and that's the kind of director I like :) Guillermo Del Torro is probably one of the only 'mainstream' horror directors I can properly connect to nowadays.

Regular Crew

Date:

The Girl Next Door. Ick. It has a touch of tourture, rape, nudity. abuse, and sexism for a lifetime. Oh, and the fact that it's involving children... yeah. x.x

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i never found clockwork orange that bad i think its because my english teacher hyped it up that much i was expecting alot worse, but it was still one of the best movies ive ever seen

1 2 310  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us