Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Music you work to

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Music you work to

What do you find works best for you in the background when you need to concentrate?

I usually listen to nice soothing instrumental music like Mogwai and Thought Forms in the hope that it'll calm me down and get me into a good working state, but sometimes I find that really loud music actually does the job better: at the moment, really lush metal like Isis and Tool is doing the job pretty well. My housemate, who normally listens to whatever's on radio 1, seems to be finding this too: she texted me yesterday saying 'whenever I listen to System Of A Down I get loads of work done. It seems so unlikely the two would go together...must be the RAR RAAAR screaming that gets my arse in gear'.

There was a brief period in first year when I found Death From Above 1979 the best working music ever, but in hindsight I can't understand how I ever thought BASSBASSDRUMSSCREAMYSCREAMLOUDLOUDBASSDRUMSBASSDRUMS was ever conducive to getting things done.

But I've come to the sad conclusion that when I really need to get things done, the best accompaniment I can possibly have is silence :(

What do you work to?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Silence. If I have music on I get much too into it. If it's something with no lyrics it's easier, but I still start tapping along, it's a drummer disease! :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

i used to just put my ipod on shuffle in the background, but now it's just too hard for me to focus on work so i have silence too :(

TOAST BUSTERS!

i ain't afraid of no toast ;)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Silence here too. D:

Tumblr

Lush Guru

Date:

When I was revising for A Levels I had Radio 1 on all day, and that's when I realised radio 1 is shit. I like a bit of instrumental, I can't have ANY lyrics or I will sing along (or attempt to) so Sigur Ros is nice, but not all of it and some nice classical shtuff. I had to study the Brandenburg concertos for A Level music, so that helps me work sometimes.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Generally I use Feist/Snow Patrol/The Strokes/The Kinks because they're nice and steady, though on the odd occasion The Rolling Stones help.

When I'm writing essays though, I don't listen to anything because that's what the exam conditions are like.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't work in silence! It makes me uneasy. The only possible way I can get in the study zone is if I have music blaring in my ears. I usually start off with Green Day or whatever song I can't stop listening to that week, and then I let shuffle do it's thing. When I start to pay attention to what's on I know I need a break since I have ventured out of 'the zone'.

Oddly though I have the music just playing aloud I can't study at all, but if I'm plugged into my earphones then I work a lot better.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I can't work in silence either, mostly because where I live all the little noises like kids playing outside, my neighbours watching tv or people doing DIY drive me to distraction.
Generally I just have Classic FM on quietly in the background, but I also like working to drone/ambient stuff like The Angelic Process, Sunn 0))) and Nortt.
As weird as it sounds black metal sometimes helps me to study too, especially Darkthrone.

. Tumblr . Flickr .

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Classic FM. No lyrics, nice and soothing. I used to work in dead silence but I can't now because I start hearing little things like someone talking outside or something.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't work without music, simply because it distracts me, if it's slient I get bored and start day dreaming or go and do something else for a while, but if I've got music playing, when I get bored, I can stop for about a minute sing along and then get back to work, the whole time I'm still thinking about the work, and not wandering off anywhere. I normally just have my i-pod on shuffle or on occasion have the televison or a film on.
I find that if I'm writing stories or anything that require imagination I work best listening to Cradle of Filth because their use of language inspires me.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Honoured Mook

Date:

I can't work in silence at all, I get freaked out xD usually I just stick my ipod on shuffle and after a while I don't really notice what I'm listening to anymore...

....I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I generally work in silence, but this year my lovely house mate is generally blasting out something or other which makes it difficult.
For some reason 'The Mansions of Los Feliz' by EELS has been on repeat for the last 3 days while I work though, I wonder why that one specifically..

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I tend to have one song I really like on repeat. After a while it becomes white noise and I'm not trying to hear the lyrics

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Lush Guru

Date:

Can I just interject that all you who absolutely CANNOT work in silence should really try and do it at least some of the time, because exams don't let you have music on.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

EverFrost wrote:
but I also like working to drone/ambient stuff like The Angelic Process, Sunn 0))) and Nortt.

Excellent choices. Earth are bloody brilliant to work to as well.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I do prefer to work in silence, but when someone else is playing music or I can hear people talking (the girls in the flat next to mine are SO fucking squeaky!!) I usually put on Halloween Alaska, as they're not too intrusive and are just really comforting and familiar. Miles Davis is also good, some nice inoffensive jazz.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

suicide silence, korn, slipknot, bjork

MY LIFE IZNT THAT HELL

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Alka wrote:

Can I just interject that all you who absolutely CANNOT work in silence should really try and do it at least some of the time, because exams don't let you have music on.

If I can I usually try listen to music before the exam and during breaks. To be honest though when I'm in an exam situation I go in robot mode straight away and adrenaline kicks in, I barely acknowledge anyone around me.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm a silence girl as well.

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Honoured Mook

Date:

Silence is nice, but I can typically go either way. If I'm stressed, though, silence is best. If I'm working with no sense of urgency, though, I'll put some songs on.

I usually listen to a playlist of soft, melancholy stuff that I like but am not intimately familiar with. That way I can't sing along and get swept away as I do with the glorious Florence + the Machine, some fantastic Bon Iver, and staggering Eluveitie. Some folky metal instrumentals (as long as they aren't too evocative) and stuff like that is sprinkled in sometimes for an extra crunch--think Ensiferum.

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I listen to generally anything i feel like! I personally think metal is good for homework, im not sure why. But yes I listen to any music i like to listening to or what ever im into at that time! i have a learning difficulty (not particularly specified) but it means if im concentrating on something i cant have all my attention on that one thing or i cant concentrate, if that makes sence. So i find listening to music good for that reason too.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I need silence, or at least hush.

The ony exception to this rule is non-study work; when I'm researching and cataloguing rare/antiquarian/weirdass books for my job. Then silence is impossible and makes me work slower. I work three hour shifts so my listening goes like this:

Turn on Radio 4.
Listen to news.
If have missed news and 'listen again' not yet available on the iPlayer, 'listen again' to Woman's Hour. These are usually divided into chapters so I only listen to the chapters I'm interested in.
'Listen again' to You and Yours or Costing the Earth if it's a thing I care about.
'Listen again' to the latest hilarious Radio 4 left-wing comedian do his thing. It's Charlie Brooker at the moment, directly prior to this it was Mark Thomas.
Listen to any stand-alone programmes that might be interesting. Last thing I listened to was about a group of disabled avant-garde artists.
Turn on Radio 7.
Listen to whatever comedy show I've been following.
Listen to whatever serialised play I've been following.
Listen to any stand-alone thing that looks interesting.
Turn on Radio 6.
Relax for the last half hour with music.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

It absolutely depends on the type of work I'm doing.

When it's coursework for uni, I need to be able to think without distractions, which means absolute silence for me unfortunately.

When it's the slightly less important tasks of writing up my lecture notes or something, I can have pretty much any music in the background, providing it's music I enjoy.

TV is a definite no-no regardless of the work I'm doing though.

Honoured Mook

Date:

It always varies depending on the time of day or mood I'm in. This morning it was wall to wall Pixies as I hadn't slept last night again (just to jump start my soul) and right now I am slipping into a tea time coma with Lemon Jelly. Usually XFM is blaring out of the 'sherbet dip DAB radio'

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Capulett wrote:

Alka wrote:

If I can I usually try listen to music before the exam and during breaks. To be honest though when I'm in an exam situation I go in robot mode straight away and adrenaline kicks in, I barely acknowledge anyone around me.

I'm  the same really Capulet. And I try to work during College free periods...which aren't always as quiet as they could be :O

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

depends on what i'm working on, if it's brain hurty academic stuff, then silence. if i'm doing something creative then it's either radio 4 or some dirty techno.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Honoured Mook

Date:

I like to play Motzart or Tchaikovsky as I find that classical music helps me to concentrate & I'm less likely to get worked up if I get stuck at something (and there's the benefit of no lyrics so I won't be tempted to start singing/dancing)

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

He winked at you?  [tsk] Musicians. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
What are you talking about? 
You heard me rapping, right? 

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I prefer silence, I cannot listen to music without giving it my full attention. It can play in the background, it won't interrupt me, but I won't hear it because I'm focused.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I usually listen to the same playlist I put together of my favourite Blues music..always find it invigorating to listen to when I have something to be getting on with..

Regular Crew

Date:

Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Olafur Arnalds, mum, Amiina, Sigur ros, Sostakovic, Yann Tiersen, Beirut, Goran Bregovic, Animal Collective, Right Away, Great Captain!, Elliott Smith, and jazz. Generally, anything without too many words and that is primarily instrumental, save for a few exceptions. But it does change, sometimes I prefer silence, but those are some that I listen to when I need something going on. 

It can just be distracting at times as a result of my synesthesia.

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us