Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Duke of Edinburgh Volunteering. Help!

Baby Mook

Date:
Duke of Edinburgh Volunteering. Help!

I'm doing my Bronze D of E this year (I've just started year 10) and I was wondering if anyone knew any good places to go to volunteer, like, what charity shops will let under 18's volunteer for them and such. I've looked on the website, but I'd like to hear what experiences you guys have had with volunteering for D of E. 

All advice is appreciated :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've not done it but I'll still try help. I assume you're doing this through school and not anything else (Guides, Scouts, that sort of thing) so whoever is in charge will be able to help you, as will older students who've done it.

You reminded me (and I wish you hadn't) about the meeting my Guiding Division have every year deciding who is going to fix up the campsite ready for the start of camping season (washing windows in February? What fun!) when it was decided that the Rangers or the D of E people could do it. Maybe get in contact with local organisations that need such jobs doing? You're a little far from me but if you feel like travelling XP

I think one of my mates was volunteering for a Scope shop when she turned 16 but that's probably still too old for you. Ask around, you never know what you'll find. Maybe think about skills you have and things you're already interested in.

Good Luck
xxx

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Your local council may be able to give you advice on groups, as can youthcentres. :)

- Hannah Belle.

I hear the roar of a big machine,
Two worlds and in between,
Hot metal and methedrine,
I hear empire down.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I think all charity shops will allow anyone to volunteer, but at under 16, you may not be able to use irons/steamers etc. You could try animal shelters, schools, libraries and community centres for volunteering opportunites, or do-it.org, which allows to select your postcode and area of volunteering, and connects you to places within 5km.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Lush Guru

Date:

^^As far as I remember you can't handle money until you're 15 which is why we never let work experience kids on the tills. I'm pretty sure that's not just a Superdrug thing.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Must be plenty to do without handling money though. Stacking shelves, pricing, cleaning, making tea and coffee for co-workers. I seem to remember a girl coming to my Brownie unit for a couple of weeks for part of her volunteering, and making drinks after church and stuff. A world of ideas out there.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Baby Mook

Date:

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I volunteered at a church helping with Sunday school, but I think most charity shops'll allow you to work there, if not handling money, then sorting out donations and pricing things.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I used to work in a charity shop, I started when I was 17 though, so perhaps you have to be 16 or over?
But even if you can't work on the till, there's always LOADS to do round the back. Just go in and ask at your local shop, I'm sure they'll be delighted with the extra help. It was one of the best things I've ever done, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I volunteered with my local Brownies & Guides, which I'm carrying on to Silver.
Dead easy and a fantastic excuse to act like a child:) haha!

The more seeds you plant, the more flowers will grow.
Size Matters - Natasha Bedingfield
Tumblr & Twitter

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm pretty certain you can volunteer at Oxfam at 14. Just pop into your local branch and ask for an application form. I've volunteered there for three and a half years and it's great. :)

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes you can go to Oxfam, that's where I'm at for Bronze DofE. It's mainly just labelling clothes, when you're 16 you can go on the tills. You can apply online too I think?

You say you want to live in the darkness?
~ Tumblr! ~

Honoured Mook

Date:

In my Duke of Edinburgh (Bronze) i worked at a Youth centre in the town my school was in, on my Duke of Edinburgh (Gold) i did work in Oxfam. Oxfam are more than happy to take you on and get you to do like an hour afterschool a week to learn about other things besides till work. Like going through donated items and pricing them. Or steaming and cleaning donated clothes within the shop. I don't know if every oxfam is the same, but that's what they did at mine :)

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us