Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: The Moomins

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
The Moomins

Does anybody else love the Moomins Series by Tove Jansson? If you don't know what it is, it's a series of children's books about a Moomintroll, his family and assorted weird creatures they meet on their bizarre adventures. I like it because it's really unusual and quite creepy at times.

If you've read them, who is your favourite character and why?

Mine is the Groke right now. She's misunderstood and really a very sad character, so I can't help feeling sorry for her :)

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I love them passionately. Ouroboros questioned my sanity when we went to the moomin museum :D

My favourite character is Snufkin, because he is a traveller and one who opposes authority. Basically he was my childhood's biggest idol.

Huh, them English names for the Moomin characthers are mighty weird...

Anyways, have you read the comics? (NOT the Japanese stuff, the ones Tove Jansson wrote and drew)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

^Moomin museum? mOOmin Museum?! Where is this wondrous place? I must visit immediatley!

Date:

In Tampere, Finland. Lovely LOVELY place.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

*books holiday IMMEDIATELY*

Honoured Mook

Date:

My username gives you a clue about just how much I love the Moomin series! They don't underestimate children's intelligence or intuition.

Has anyone here read Tove Jansson's adult novels? The Summer Book ought to have become a classic...

Ooo Irilar, Snufkin is my favourite too :)!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I never read them, but I remember it on the TV and I remember it scared THE SHIT out of me.
Seriously. Creeped me out. Still watched it every morning though.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I love the cartoons, but I love the audio tape I have of 'Finn Family Moomin Troll' a little bit more. I adore Thingummy and Bob more than I can say! And Irilar, that place sounds amazing. I simply MUST visit it one day.

My favourite of all the books is Moomin Midwinter, even though it's so gloomy. I think it's a metaphor for depression, actually, and I love the fact Too-ticky is based on Tove's life partner :)

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The Groke scared me to death when I was a kid, I can't remember ever fearing any other movie/fairytale character more than her!fear.gif I loved the Moomins when I was little and I miss watching the cartoon!

Pony Frenzy

Date:

^ Same here, the Groke was the scariest thing ever. And it didn't help that I lived in the middle of a forest. I often refused to go outside after dark because I feared the Groke would be lurking in the bushes!

Interestingly, when I re-read the moomin books in my late teens I got a totally different view of her. She is so sad and self-destructive. I don't find her scary any more, I feel sorry for her. And one does meet a few Grokes in real life too, I think I treat such people a bit differently, and nicer, because I've read the moomin books.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Moomins scared the shit out of me when I was younger :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

One of my friends is 24 and still terrified of the hattifatteners.

The Groke is my favourite character too, even as a child, I always felt so sorry for her and just wanted to give her a hug!
One of my primary school teachers read the books to my class in primary five or six, unfortunately I haven't read them since, I really ought to. My mum's boyfriend bought me the cartoon series on DVD a few years ago though, I used to watch it every morning on CBBC before going to school. :p

. Tumblr . Flickr .

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I found the cartoon series online last year. I was one of THE best days of my life.

I also really like the Muskrat. He doesn't crop up that often in the books, but there's something about his peacefully negative outlook on everything that always makes me laugh. I particularly like the way he just resigns himself to the hammok (sp?) when the house turns into a jungle :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Lady Misery wrote:

I found the cartoon series online last year. I was one of THE best days of my life.

WHERE can it be watched online? Could you give me a linkie please? :)

And EverFrost, I remember an episode with the hattifatteners scaring the life out of me too :P I can't remember what they were called in Czech though.

Pony Frenzy

Regular Crew

Date:

Yes,I loved the girl who was invisible all the time.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Moooomins!!! Oh how it brings back memories of my childhood! Snufkin is my favourite. Hes like a lone wanderer, independant of everyone else. I feel for Moomintroll who loves him so much but has to suffer Snufkin going off on his adventures and leaving him behind. But its so sweet because he knows its what Snufkin must do. He cant be tied down.

Its amazing when you are so young, and something so simple and seemingly childish moves you so much.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

My sister is openly the little ginger with the pointy nose and bangs.

There is also a moonmin shop in Covent Garden, London. I went there last week.It was AMAZING!

I want to go to this museum, I wonder what it is like

To have more will than fear is to be a super hero.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Reviving this thread because holy shit I LOVE MOOMINS. Little My and Snufkin are my favorites. Also I recently learned that Tove Jansson was a lesbian and sort of wrote herself and her partner into the series as Thingummy and Bob, with the content of their suitcase being their love for each other. If/when I have a child, I want to paint a Moominvalley mural in the nursery.
Also - I've been to the moomin shop but not the museum or the Moomin world.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us