Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Since when did this become ok?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Since when did this become ok?

I think it's the caveman instinct lurking not so far from the surface in the brains of the un-intelligent,the one that says "Different! Not us! Danger!" Idiots. I love awesome hair of all colours,and I do want to steal Inky's,for it is beautiful. ;)

Mimble wrote:

Grrrrr nom nom nom Karen Gillan.
Enough said.

Also,this. Extensive research on google images is needed. :)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Also, The Doctor is desperate to be ginger. Therefore it must be cool.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I remember watching a BBC Three documentary (here we go again!) about people with red hair and the way other people treat them and there was this guy on it who was gorgeous. He grew his hair long and straight and they even introduced him as an example of sexy male redheadedness. On the other hand there was a guy who'd moved country to get away from the bullying, and people who were scared of having sexual relationships because of their hair colour.

Don't get me started on Karen Gillan. She is stunning, and Nicola Girls Aloud has her own make-up line. I think that counts as a WIN.

In other news, fyeahredhair and fyeahredhead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

As far as I'm concerned these are all just jokes... Nobody around here or anybody I have ever met in real life has actually discriminated against gingers.
In fact, one of the "hottest guys" in my new school is extremely ginger with freckles covering every inch of his body.

Anyway, I don't really see those three examples as being offensive at all. They're just silly...I doubt the person who made them actually walks around thinking "oh man, those dirty, rotten gingers..."

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^Intruiging.
My mum grew up in Australia in the sixties/seventies and she had really lovely, bright red hair. She used to get picked on a lot because of that, and when I was born she was praying that I wouldn't have ginger hair so I wouldn't have to go through it.

As it happened, I was born blonde, but when I was about 14 it started to go a sort of browny/ginger and I started dying it red because I'd always wanted ginger hair. People took the piss out of me (one person saying "Why would you want to be ginger by choice?") and I really couldn't understand why.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Honoured Mook

Date:

The thing is, those examples may not have been intended to be offensive, but as I've spent my entire high school life being called rude names and being made to feel unattractive because of the colour of hair I was born with, no matter how much I dyed it, I can't help but feel offended by them. They just hit too close to home for me and the fact that they would never get away with saying that sort of thing about any other minority just makes me feel like redheads are the only truly acceptable target nowadays and there's nothing I can do about it.
I don't know, maybe I'm just too sensitive. I know other redheads, like my brother, who would probably burst out laughing at those pictures and I wish I could be as thick-skinned as that, but I just find them hurtful.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Lots of my friends dye their hair red. I take it as a compliment, really. Although I found out that a lot of people can't tell the difference between dyed hair and naturally coloured hair...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never really had a problem with things people SAID except for the one time there was a class of twenty nine all harrasing me in a locked classroom and my two mates shuffled off somewhere else and left me to it and every teachr I told said I just had to put up with it, like just because I'm ginger I didn't have the right to be protected from that shit. One of the teachers taught my mum as well and when I told her she just said he was a bit of an old school kinda teacher who wished it was still legal to throw kids around. The one time I got in major trouble in high school was when I jumped up on the teacher's desk spouting racist comments and blonde jokes to prove a point. I got bollocked for HOURS over that but it was what they did to me. After all that I got a bit of a reputation...

Some things are just jokes and they are funny. My blonde mates compete for the best blonde jokes.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lemondrop wrote:

As far as I'm concerned these are all just jokes... Nobody around here or anybody I have ever met in real life has actually discriminated against gingers.
In fact, one of the "hottest guys" in my new school is extremely ginger with freckles covering every inch of his body.

Anyway, I don't really see those three examples as being offensive at all. They're just silly...I doubt the person who made them actually walks around thinking "oh man, those dirty, rotten gingers..."

I don't care whether or not they were created with serious intentions (I too expect they were just having a laugh) but it's still discrimination and it's still offensive. I find that when discrimination becomes laughable it increases the severity. This way people think it's acceptable and humorous to make fun of people based on hair colour, whilst yes some people can take it as a joke, other's will get really offended.

I used to have such low self esteem over my hair, why? because I was constantly having to face hurtful remarks over it and no one did anything why? cause no one saw it as 'proper discrimination'. I've now learnt to love my hair the way it is, but I'll never forget the way I felt over people 'having a laugh' about it at my expense.

So, no the intended nature does not lessen the impact.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You have lovely hair,Inky,and it's really sad that not only were you bullied but worse that the school did nothing. Awww. There should be a mooky school. ;)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Aww thanks Dave, and I'm all for a Mooky school.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Baby Mook

Date:

I was always massively jealous of my best friend growing up, she had this vibrant, bright, gorgeous red hair and I had dark, dull black locks and she always wanted my hair lol.
Now she embraces her beautiful colouring and so she should!

I don't really understand why people give redheads such a hard time as I've always really liked it on people. And I don't believe for a second anyone has any right to make anyone feel bad about themselves or how they look.

Some people are just complete and utter idiots, I hope one day they realise how hurtful and cruel they have been.

-- Edited by LaRachie on Saturday 4th of September 2010 11:54:28 PM

Twitter Tumblr

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

My best mate and his sister have naturally red hair. They look awesome when one of them isn't dying it, but unfortunatly the temptation is too great for them. Plus, they kept getting called Ron and Ginny and it really pissed them off (mostly because James was Ginny and Gillian was Ron).

Mooky's Resident Mr Meaniepants

Honoured Mook

Date:

In my area, Black haired people get pissed about for being "emo", redheads for being "Ginge", blondes for being "dumb" and brunnettes fir being "poo heads".

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ poo heads? Are you actually serious?

Liv

My Tumblr :)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

What colour hair do the people doing the insulting have?!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Clearly they're bald, and bitter about it :')

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Regular Crew

Date:

i really love ginger hair, especially really dark copper shade. my old drama techer naturally had that shade and i envied her, it was beautiful.

then she dyed her hair blonde. :'(

but really, ginger genes are rare and people should be proud of them :)
picking on someone because of their hair colour is simply petty and is done by petty people.

x

'Kotae wa nai kedo kokoro ni hikari wo tomosou.'
'There's no answer, but in my heart, light is kindled.
' ~ Alice Nine

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I really wasn`t aware that ginger kids were being treated this way.
Why? Have I been completely out of touch here or something, I just don`t get it are they getting teased just for having redish hair? That`s just retarded.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ It's a British thing.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

People make fun of everything it's so annoying.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It happens a lot in Ireland too I must say, and it's ridiculous. Though if you look a teeny tiny bit different, you are screwed, essentially. People will ridicule you for just about anything over here.

One recent thing that happened to me... I was walking through town with a friend, and this tiny girl (she was about 5"1- I'm 5"8 so I was towering over her) came right up to me and called me a "fuckin emo." I have absolutely nothing against the emo fashion or people who identify with it, but I am NOT emo! I looked very gothic that night if anything. So all I could do was laugh in her face and walk on. The point of my story is, if you look different in ANY WAY at all, people will slag you in any way they can because they're lame insecure people and it makes them look kool in front of their kool mates.

Also, I absolutely adore ginger hair, I'm actually dying it that colour today :)

ponyclubby wrote:

In my area, Black haired people get pissed about for being "emo", redheads for being "Ginge", blondes for being "dumb" and brunnettes fir being "poo heads".

Maybe that's why that girl (and many others) call me emo. Also, LOL @ poohead. What an insult, if somebody called me that I don't know how I'd come back from it :') 

-- Edited by weetabexx on Thursday 11th of August 2011 02:25:51 PM

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I would have said "I worship the true Satan,Mr Hankey. Fear his malodorous wrath,infidel!"

[of course,I'm a bit weird...]

Dave.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^I'm blatantly going to use that comeback at some point.

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can use it royalty-free on some type of cue card lol.

Dave.

Regular Crew

Date:

Wow :/ I haven't actually noticed a whole lot of this type of thing in Australia, so it must just be a UK thing. In Australia if you're a red head you tend to end up with the nickname 'Blue', but other than that people don't really seem to care.

I don't get it, I really don't. I am insanely jealous of people with naturally red hair, I think it's so beautiful and I'd love to have it (waaay better than my natural mousy brown *cough* sorry, "dark blonde")

Oh, and on the subject of the red headed chick from Girls Aloud, I had no idea who she was until the other day when I saw her on an episode of Britain's Next Top Model. She's so pretty! I'd rather look like her than Cheryl Cole any day.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I once got called a tampon, for having dyed red hair. It really irritated me. And I don't think ginger jokes are all that funny anyways...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never understood ginger jokes. Or any jokes regarding someone's appearance (totally don't get the 'HE'S GOT A BEARD HE MUST BE A PAEDOPHILE!!!!!!' jokes, what's that all about o__o). But yeah, ginger jokes are always really awfully stupid. I've never met any ginger people who had no friends because they're ginger, or are losers because they're ginger, so I don't understand where the jokes come from anyway...

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Well I'm a bit of a loser...and I'm naturally a bit ginger, and I have red hair...but yeah.

But seriously I about die laughing whenever I hear a ginger joke, at the person telling it.

I think it just stems from a 'look someone different, let us point and laugh at them' type place. You get it when people wear glasses, dress differently worship differently, look different, I could go on.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

VampGirl wrote:

In Australia if you're a red head you tend to end up with the nickname 'Blue', but other than that people don't really seem to care.

Why blue? Am I being incredibly slow here, or is the logic just a bit hidden?

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us