Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Since when did this become ok?


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:
RE: Since when did this become ok?


^I cannot stand Cheryl Cole, how can she be seen as 'the nations sweetheart', when she poses for photos like this. Another thing that annoys me about her (and the rest of girls aloud) is that they know fine well a lot of children like their music and inspire to be like them, yet they have such a promiscuous image.

__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Date:

About the links: they were definitely still the same when I tried it, but I had to restart my computer and after they were different. Hmm...maybe I'm just a technophobe?

-- Edited by Celtic Mysteria on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 06:29:36 PM

__________________


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:

I love you guys for the Cheryl Cole things XD plenty of women sadly get cheated on & get ill but they're never the "national sweethearts" are they? Also, she CANNOT sing.

__________________

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:

^Exactly.

__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 475
Date:

It's also funny how everyone seems to have forgotten the time Cheryl beat the crap out of a toilet attendant for no good reason.

__________________


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

Cheryl Cole can do whatever she wants really, I don't see how it affects any of us. Just because she has a 'promiscuous' image, doesn't mean that it will influence children. It's up to the parents to raise their children, and make sure they don't copy every single thing they see. I don't see why she, and other 'celebrities' can't pose for sexy photos and such. Are they meant to act like children/virgins/nuns?

It just seems hypocritical slagging off Cheryl Cole just for who she is in a thread about discrimination.

-- Edited by tammycuteness on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 07:24:07 PM

__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

Lol we don't half digress a bit on mooky. One day I may read a topic that is 100% what it's started off as and die of shock.

Firstly, I'm ginger and proud. Even when I've dyed my hair, I only dyed it redder (I came back from Spain one year to find the sun had done evil things to my hair and made me look like a blonde gone wrong... similar to bleaching black hair). In my first primary there were the odd few comments but there were a few ginger kids so it was harder to pick on someone when they're going to be backed up by ten other people. Then, sadly, one of the ginger girls in my class got badly burnt and it was a major taboo to say anything that might upset her, and by default any other ginger kids. I moved to another school for my last year and got HELL. I was the ONLY ginger kid there. Except on red nose day, when there were a few hundred and I still got picked on. Then came high school where people just got stupider. At least in primary school kids would shout "FIRE" or something that requires a modicum of intelligence. Kids in my high school would come up to me and say "You're ginger"... er, yes I am. How observant of you. A kid in the year above started a 'ginger society' which had one member... himself. He collected money to buy hairdye which I thought was pointless. Worse thing was he actually got it. I'm not going as far as to say it's comparable, but I'd give mony to help disabled kids or something and I'd NEVER give money to someone who wanted to change thier hair colour. It was shortly after this event that I was beat up on two consecutive days by the same girls (don't get me started on why nothing was done the first time). That was the only time I considered going blonde or brunette, because I figured it was easier then putting myself back together every day.

Secondly, Katie Prince was considered to be wonder woman for a while, then she lost favour again. I don't think Cheryl will last much longer before someone else comes along, fame is a fickle friend and all that jazz. Plus, before she got married she was just a member of a girl band, then all of a sudden she was THE girl band and everyone else was just tagging along. Frankly she's done well for herself and anything else is nobodies business really.

__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 475
Date:

tammycuteness wrote:


It just seems hypocritical slagging off Cheryl Cole just for who she is in a thread about discrimination.

-- Edited by tammycuteness on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 07:24:07 PM



To be fair, I do think there's a clear difference between judging someone by their appearance, and judging someone by their personality/actions. I couldn't give a crap about how Cheryl dresses, I just do not like how she comes across as a person. And really, I actually hate the mainstream media for overexposing her so much, and teaching the youth of today that you can get away with anything as long as you have a pretty face, more than I hate her personally.

 



-- Edited by r0se_red on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 07:45:56 PM

__________________


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:

Tammycuteness I apologize for my hypocriticalness, I do have a tendancy to ramble on & once I get on a subject I do kind of forget the point! So apologies there.

I SAID TO MY SISTER ABOUT THE TOILET ATTENDANT THING! And she goes "well she obviously deserved it, Cheryl wouldn't do that without a reason because she's lovely!" Errm no sis, just no.

__________________

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

I don't love her or anything, I'm just saying.

I do remember that toilet attendant incident. She may not deserve the title of 'the nation's sweetheart' but for that matter, nor does anyone else.

__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 

Zip


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 255
Date:

I don't appreciate the fact Cheryl Cole is "the famous one", I'm not even sure how that happened. Nadine was the one that could sing, and people barely know who she is.
Also, I never got all of the "I'd sleep with all of Girls Aloud, except the ginger one" jokes, because I always thought she was the prettiest one.

__________________

Fuzzy little man peach.

Tumblr



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:

tammycuteness wrote:

Cheryl Cole can do whatever she wants really, I don't see how it affects any of us. Just because she has a 'promiscuous' image, doesn't mean that it will influence children. It's up to the parents to raise their children, and make sure they don't copy every single thing they see. I don't see why she, and other 'celebrities' can't pose for sexy photos and such. Are they meant to act like children/virgins/nuns?

It just seems hypocritical slagging off Cheryl Cole just for who she is in a thread about discrimination.

-- Edited by tammycuteness on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 07:24:07 PM



I'm not saying that she can't dress promiscuosly if she wants too then that's her choice, I'm also not saying that it's her fault that little kids aspire to be like her, I'm simply saying that I dislike the way the media portrays her a 'the nations sweetheart' when it's clear that she's not all that sweet.

There is huge difference between slagging Cheryl Cole off for the way she dresses/ acts and discriminating against people of a certain hair colour. Hair colour is something you're born with, not something you choose, Cheryl Cole chooses to act and dress the way she does, that's fair enough, but with that choice comes people's reactions, if she wants to be the way she is then she'll have to deal with what people think of her.

__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2088
Date:

r0se_red wrote:

It's also funny how everyone seems to have forgotten the time Cheryl beat the crap out of a toilet attendant for no good reason.



When someone asks me why I hate her, this tends to be the first thing I say.

 



__________________

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

 

The Alien in the North!



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

Well, you could say for example that it's someone's choice to dress like a goth, and therefore if people treat them differently because of it then they just have to deal with it. I don't see why it's fine for people to get judged for their personalities, unless they're hurting anyone else. You can't CHANGE how you are, you can fake it- but wouldn't that be the same as a ginger person dying their hair?

__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:

Odd question (but it does relate!) do you think of Nicola & Cheryl swopped hair colours, Cheryl would be where she is now OR do you think the nations' "gingerist" attitude would have kicked in?

__________________

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2088
Date:

^^ The latter. Britain is a country where half the population want to be an impossible thing called "perfect", I'm afraid. 

-- Edited by Amaranth=Rayne on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 08:11:30 PM

__________________

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

 

The Alien in the North!



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

I don't say I hate any famous person, because I don't know them. I don't say I love them for the same reason. The artists whose MUSIC I love most tend to be alcoholic chain-smokers and such. The few remotely famous people I'm in a position to talk about for reasons other then thier talents I've known personally and I still can't say much about them.

__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:

tammycuteness wrote:

Well, you could say for example that it's someone's choice to dress like a goth, and therefore if people treat them differently because of it then they just have to deal with it. I don't see why it's fine for people to get judged for their personalities, unless they're hurting anyone else. You can't CHANGE how you are, you can fake it- but wouldn't that be the same as a ginger person dying their hair?




That kind of is what I'm saying, if you choose to be something, then you have to accept everyone's attitude towards it, I'm not saying this is right or acceptable, but if it bothers a person so much they can change it, (I am mostly refering to dress here).

If you don't judge a person by their personality then what are you supposed to judge them by? No matter who you are, there's always going to be people that don't like it, I'm not saying a person should have to start to be fake or try and change, because no matter what they do there's still going to be people that don't like it. Therefore they should just be themselves.

 



__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:

Inky wrote:

If you don't judge a person by their personality then what are you supposed to judge them by? No matter who you are, there's always going to be people that don't like it, I'm not saying a person should have to start to be fake or try and change, because no matter what they do there's still going to be people that don't like it. Therefore they should just be themselves.



Amen to this. Times a million!

 



__________________

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

Miss Nimrod wrote:

Odd question (but it does relate!) do you think of Nicola & Cheryl swopped hair colours, Cheryl would be where she is now OR do you think the nations' "gingerist" attitude would have kicked in?



Actually, Lindsey Lohan dyed her hair blonde and I read a tonne of articles about how she was letting gingers down and trying to be something she wasn't :s You just can't win.

 



__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

Miss Nimrod wrote:

Odd question (but it does relate!) do you think of Nicola & Cheryl swopped hair colours, Cheryl would be where she is now OR do you think the nations' "gingerist" attitude would have kicked in?



Actually, Lindsey Lohan dyed her hair blonde and I read a tonne of articles about how she was letting gingers down and trying to be something she wasn't :s You just can't win.

 




 Us brits do tend to be the best hypocrites! You can't really win on any front if you're Miss Lohan though haha.



__________________

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."



Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

tammycuteness wrote:

Well, you could say for example that it's someone's choice to dress like a goth, and therefore if people treat them differently because of it then they just have to deal with it. I don't see why it's fine for people to get judged for their personalities, unless they're hurting anyone else. You can't CHANGE how you are, you can fake it- but wouldn't that be the same as a ginger person dying their hair?




 



I've no idea who you people are talking about, but I strongly disagree here. Everyone can certainly change their personality, and it is easier than most people think. Personality is something that changes constantly (although it does so slowly and often subtle, so most people notice only in retrospect) and something that everyone can influence if they are aware and want to.

Thus I think it is perfectly fair to judge other people based on their personality. Actually I think how people behave and what they say is the only acceptable basis for judgement.

__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

I didn't really mean that. I can't really remember what I meant. But the person has to WANT to change, for themself, not for other people who don't like the way they are. And I don't think even then you can always, consciously change who you are. There are things I don't like about my own personality, and I have tried many times to change them, but they're part of me and I just can't get rid of them.
It just seems a bit bitter to dislike someone because they're famous. It doesn't matter whether they deserve the fame or not.

__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:

^Exactly, the way I see it everything that happens in our lives changes our personality a little bit. I know that if I went back 5 years I would hate the person I am now, but in retrospect I just see it as I've grown up, developed more and been shaped by the events of my life.

And as I said before what are you meant to judge a person on if not their personality?

EDIT: That was referring to Irilar's post. But in response to Tammy, I don't dislike her because she's famous, I dislike her because from what I've seen of her I don't like her personality (and I'm aware the personality you see on television may differ greatly from what she's actually like), either way I suppose it doesn't really affect my life , I don't know her personally so I can't really have a true opinion of her.

-- Edited by Inky on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 09:08:29 PM

__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

Their actions, I guess.

Hitting a toilet attendent= bad.

But I have no idea what else she herself is meant to have done that deserves all this dislike?


__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:

^ I don't suppose its's anything she's done (aside from hitting a toilet attendant) I just find her personality dislikeabe, but on the other hand a lot of people love her for the same thing. I also think the way the media portrays her has a big effect.

__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

Sorry that I misunderstood you Tammy. I totally agree that one should change for oneself, or rather for the right reason: I believe that everyone should constantly strive to be a better version of themselves, it is one of the main points in life.

But I do not believe that there is anything about one's personality that is impossible to change. There can be things (I suppose most of us have some) which are incredibly difficult to change and requires persistence over several years, but nothing is impossible.

 

I really dislike the word "impossible" by the way, it smells like defeat :(



__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

That's true. But again it's down to the differences of opinion thing, and is that not the same as the hair colour issue?

Well, no, because that has bullying involved, rather than just a 'Hmm, I don't find red hair as attractive as I do another colour of hair.'

I am really getting confused about my point, if I even ever had one.

__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2004
Date:

If the hair colour thing was just down to personal prefernce and varied from person to person then it would be the same thing. Similarly it would be the same thing if a person was bullied for their personality. I too have lost track of my origional point, but what I appear to be saying now is that everyone's different in personality and appearence, and whilst some people dislike it, no one should be bullied for it.

__________________

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY



Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

I suspect that your point were in a context that totally have passed me by, since the discussion were about some celebrities (?) I've never heard of.

__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us