Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Since when did this become ok?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Since when did this become ok?

Lately I've noticed so much discrimination towards ginger people in the media. I know it's been around for a while but the fact that it is now becoming more acceptable to condone it horrifies me. In the space of half an hour I stumbled across these three examples of blatant discrimination:

Number 1 

Number 2

Number 3

These made it to the front page of a rather popular website, which really annoyed me. You'd never get away with saying that sort of thing about black people or disabled people etc. so why is this acceptable?

I also stumbled across this article which makes some good points. I for one found it disgusting to discover that there are people that have been violently attcked based on the colour of their hair. What does that say about the society we live in today?

This sort of thing really pisses me off, I think I can safely say that at least 95% of redheads have had to suffer some sort of abuse over the colour of their hair. And the worst thing is that no one seems to make a big deal over it, people just accept that that's just the way things are.

I know my sister used to get really upset (and probably still does) over people bullying her for it, my mother contacted her school about it, and they did nothing, they basically dismissed it as a childish falling out, and sat her next to these very people. Again if they'd bullied someone else about race then there would have been an uproar, but for some reason this wasn't seen as half as bad. I like to think she realises that they're not worth her getting upset over nowadays, but I don't think that's true. A few weeks ago I was walking my dog with her, when a couple of chavs started following us, shouting stuff and throwing rocks, I've learn't to shrug that sort of thing off, but she got really quite upset over it, which made me really angry. What sort of people think that is acceptable behaviour?

I apologise for a rather long rant, but it's something I feel really strongly about.

-- Edited by Inky on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 12:27:14 PM

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Gingerism is ridiculous. Its not as prominent here in the US as it is in the UK (In fact, around where I live, gingers are considered to be dead smexy.) but it's been becoming popular over the past few years mostly thanks to Eric Cartman from the South Park episode Ginger Kids.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Seriously? We've got shit like racism, sexism, ageism, all kinds of -isms and people have to add an -ism against redheads?

I don't understand it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Despite being a brunette, I know exactly what you mean. I've seen one of my best friends cry because of constant jabs about being a "carrot-top" (quickly sorted by a severe rant on how they were all complete fuckwits). There are plenty of gorgeous redheads around - Karen Gillan, Lily Cole, Bonnie Wright and Christina Hendricks for example. Even the impossibly gorgeous Nicole Kidman was born red-haired! There must be some people who think red hair is just as beautiful and sexy as any other colour (whoever drew Jessica Rabbit clearly thought so!).

Hmm...ranting is oddly stress relieving...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Redheads have beautiful hair! Also more and more people nowadays are dying their hair red so it's obviously not considered something ugly or weird to have, instead it's something that people are willing to spend a lot of money on getting.

-- Edited by Moth-kin on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 08:12:10 AM

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I'm guessing you don't live in the UK then?

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ Actually I do.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Fair enough, just I've never once encountered anyone who has (or has wanted to) dye their hair red (as in ginger not red red), but I'm aware it's not too uncommon in places such as America. In my experience it is indeed considered 'ugly and weird' by most.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ Wow. A lot of people where I live have started dying their hair ginger. But then again there are a large number of Paramore fans here.

The people who think your gorgeous hair is ugly should be given a good shaking. Ginger hair is beautiful and definitely not something to be ashamed of.

I must agree that there is a lot of discrimantion against red-heads by way of bad jokes and snide comments in the media. It's hard to believe that people can get away with it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I envy redheads, in the last four years the number of people who dye their hair red have tripled.:) it's ridiculous how people can be so nasty simply out of mod mentality and stupidity.

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

[Not-so-dramatic entrance]
I love red-heads! My favourite model is a red-head (Ulorin Vex)
smile.gif

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Zip

Honoured Mook

Date:

Just a note, all of those three links lead to the same page for me.
This discrimination is just mindless, if you asked anyone why they were doing it, they'd probably just state some varietion of "They're different! Mock them!".
What also annoys me is that people have started to use "ginger" as a general insult like, "You can't go out on Friday? You're so ginger!". I got mocked when I dyed my hair blue because, apparently, it meant I was ginger. None of it makes too much sense.
Also, Rupert Grint is the sex.

Fuzzy little man peach.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't really understand this at all, but I've seen many people on here complaining about exactly this shite. I think someone had a rant on here before as her boy had been bullied because of being ginger (forgot her name right now, sorry -_-).
I think it's complete nonsense and I think it's a pity it's now spread all over teh interwebz. But I am sure, as fast moving as the internet is, these jokes are going to be out very soon.
Here in Germany I guess there's no such thing as 'Gingerism' - or least I've never seen it happen this heavy as you described it, Inky.
Red-haired and ginger women are quite favoured here (esp when it's you natural hair colour).
One of my very best friends is red-haired, combined with a porcelain teint, freckles and green eyes. She used to have her curly red hair very long, reaching down to her elbow.
It was just...whoa.

(Maybe it's just the same thing with calling things "gay" (schwul) in German. I hate it. A place can't be gay, a fabric can't be gay. Gay is no insult, but a sexual orientation, and I won't call someone "straight" because I don't like him/her.)

-- Edited by NellyMeret Lundberg on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 12:26:48 PM

Eine deutsche Mooky :)

My modeling account (German).

I also got a DeviantArt account. Please feel free to add me :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The links should be fixed now.

Yeah, the whole calling things you dislike 'gay' is another thing that annoys me, you pretty much summed up everything I have to say about it though.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

1 and 2 are still the same...

I think calling things gay is just another way to make people think of gayness as something negative. Apparently humans have been around for at least 160,000 years - you'd think that would be long enough for us to figure out that there's nothing wrong with beng ginger, gay, black, Muslim, emo or whatever other pathetic excuse people use to act like twats.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Well raised point, Inky.
I am not ginger (much to my eternal disbelief) but my entire family are. Like, flame red.
Every time I go out with mum or granny all I hear is " ahahahaha GINGAAAAAA"
Err right.
Last week I unfortunately ran over with my scooter a child who had mocked my mother's hair.
I'd do anything to be a redhead, I spent years dying it red!!! :)

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

I get jokingly called "ginge" because of my locks & their awesome brightness (especially when they were Napalm Orange). Just think of all of the gorgeous women who dye their hair red like Hayley Williams and Florence Welch. Oh and the Doctor's assistant Amy Pond!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Zip

Honoured Mook

Date:

Miss Nimrod wrote:

I get jokingly called "ginge" because of my locks & their awesome brightness (especially when they were Napalm Orange). Just think of all of the gorgeous women who dye their hair red like Hayley Williams and Florence Welch. Oh and the Doctor's assistant Amy Pond!

Amy Pond is naturally red, I believe. But I agree plus ten on the gorgeous front.

Fuzzy little man peach.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Grrrrr nom nom nom Karen Gillan.
Enough said.

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Celtic Mysteria wrote:

1 and 2 are still the same...

Are you sure? they seem to be different to me.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

This "eww ginger" thing is something particular for the UK I think. At least I've never really heard about it elsewhere.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ It is a predominantly British thing, but I think it's starting to spread.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My Year 8 History teacher told us that all the greatest British rulers were red-heads (which is true) Also, my Year 9 history teacher was a red-head himself, and he is one of the epicest teachers ever!

The Alien in the North!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

In the Czech rep. I don't see ginger-discrimination in the media but my boyfriend is a redhead and on top of that his bright orange hair is long and curly and not a single day passes without someone making stupid comments, laughing or at least staring at his head. I totally don't get this, red hair is awesome and from my experience it's usually the healthiest, highest quality hair! I've always envied ginger people the thickness of their hair (:

Pony Frenzy

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Natural red-heads probably have really good hair cos it's such a pain to actually try and change the colour of it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Also Rupert Grint is ginger & I would do unspeakable things to him. Ginger hair is a unique and beautiful thing - embrace it! Just for the love of Spongebob/God/Allah don't do what Nicola Roberts did & slather yourself in fake tan so that you look like you've been rolling about in Doritos to match. She looks far nicer now.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I really hate how Nicola is always labelled as the ugly one by the media, because 9 times out of ten it's because of her hair colour. I personally think she's the most interesting member of Girls Aloud.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Exactly. I don't particularly like Cheryl because she looks too average & too "perfect". Nicola's pale skin, awesome hair & sense of individual style gives her an edge to me .I think Cheryl is a clothes horse in need of a flippin sandwich!

Honoured Mook

Date:

SOMEONE AGREES!
*dies in shock*
I've said to other people & they're like "but she's the girl next door!". Yes, really next door with her expensive & actually really high street outfits.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I despise Mrs Cole. She is only famous because she is a judge on the freak show called X Factor and because she is married to a football. Oh, and she's a manufature pop star. She was recently first page news for feeling better after having a minor illness (or whatever it was) She become "the nation's sweetheart" and "a national treasure" for been cheated on. WHAT HAS THIS MOTHERFUCKING WORLD BECOME?!?!

Miss Roberts, on the other hand, has become a business woman and an inspiration for many red-heads and pale-skinned folk across the country. Anyone who wishes to insult her shall have to deal with me.

[Sorry, I got wayyy too carried away there]

-- Edited by Amaranth=Rayne on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 06:17:35 PM

The Alien in the North!

1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us