Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Beauty Tips!

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Beauty Tips!

Ampersand wrote:

I think my top tip is a really obvious one, but I kind of wish I had taken heed of it when I was a teenager... MOISTURISE YOUR FUCKING FACES. JUST DO IT. Even if you have acne. Find a moisturiser that's good for acne skin. You will thank yourself later.

Along with this, DRINK WATER. I'd say for got 2 litres spread out through the day. Seriously, this makes such a distance and takes really no time at all and costs hardly anything.

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

ADATOM wrote:
Ampersand wrote:

I think my top tip is a really obvious one, but I kind of wish I had taken heed of it when I was a teenager... MOISTURISE YOUR FUCKING FACES. JUST DO IT. Even if you have acne. Find a moisturiser that's good for acne skin. You will thank yourself later.

Along with this, DRINK WATER. I'd say for got 2 litres spread out through the day. Seriously, this makes such a distance and takes really no time at all and costs hardly anything.

Or, if like me you detest water unless it's almost ice cold and aren't near a water cooler, try herbal teas. They taste nice and have the same hydrating benefits. :D A good mosituriser for acne prone skin is the simple hydrating light moisturiser. :)

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Regular Crew

Date:

and always get plently of sleep

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

For brown eyes, pale eyeshadow as a base and a line of darker brown in an arc in the crease of the lid from corner to corner looks great.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

If you feel you have small eyes, use a pale ecru or white pencil on the water line to help open them up. Likewise, using a black pencil or shadow on the upper lash line gives the effect of thicker lashes without a need for mascara!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

On the subject of eyes, if you think your eyes are too far apart, put some dark shadow in the inner corners. If you feel they're too close (I know I do!), put some dark shadow in the outer corners.
If you're asian and want your eyes to look more western, use some brown eyeliner on the outher half of the lower lash line, and a little bit on the outer corner.

Oh, and I'd recommend henna ("magic") lipstick. It amplifies your natural lip shade, so with a proper stick (I'd recommend the Hare brand) you'll always get a natural, but pretty look. One shade fits everyone. And it lasts longer than most regular lipsticks.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Forgot to mention this in my previous post and can't edit on my phone - sudocrem on spots, especially red/freshly popped ones. It calms redness and prevents whiteheads appearing in my experience. And it smells nice. :D

Honoured Mook

Date:

I just discovered the best thing ever for nails! Once you've applied your polish and top coat, let it set for about a minute then dip them in a container of ice cold water so your nail are completely covered. After a few seconds you can take them out and they are dry. I'm so confused about it, but it's amazing and works. They won't smudge, bleed, they still have a gloss and it's great if your in a rush!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Lulu-fifi wrote:
ADATOM wrote:
Ampersand wrote:

Or, if like me you detest water unless it's almost ice cold and aren't near a water cooler, try herbal teas. They taste nice and have the same hydrating benefits. :D A good mosituriser for acne prone skin is the simple hydrating light moisturiser. :)

So much agree about the water! I am really bad at this, but I am trying very hard to improve, and green tea is definitely helping!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

ADATOM wrote:

I just discovered the best thing ever for nails! Once you've applied your polish and top coat, let it set for about a minute then dip them in a container of ice cold water so your nail are completely covered. After a few seconds you can take them out and they are dry. I'm so confused about it, but it's amazing and works. They won't smudge, bleed, they still have a gloss and it's great if your in a rush!

Apparently cooking oil sets polish quickly as well. Don't think I've ever tried it. If I have, I don't remember so it couldn't have been a disaster.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but nowhere else was either. If your trying to stay away from sugary snacks try nibbling on dry cereal such as cornflakes or rice crispies. X

Honoured Mook

Date:

Here's a beauty tip for the thinner mooks: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw0egl8zeO1qjctp8o1_500.jpg

Betcha didn't see that one coming.

On a more serious note, when I make green tea, I like to wipe my face with the teabag. Makes my face feel nice, especially if it's a little oily. 

To make my lipstick a bit less intense, I put lip gloss over it. Since lip gloss can look really childish really fast, I spend a bit of time blotting and reapplying until I'm satisfied.

Tumblrs 1 & 2

I am 100% scum.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Ah, Chizzy. What fulfilling careers they have. Someone posted a blog of ridiculous magazine tips around here a while ago and I spent ages just laughing at all the potential uses for sanitary towels.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

^ Ah, Chizzy. What fulfilling careers they have. Someone posted a blog of ridiculous magazine tips around here a while ago and I spent ages just laughing at all the potential uses for sanitary towels.

On a slightly less ridiculous level, I've heard pantyliners can be used inside your shoes too keep from sliding around in them if they're a bit bigger on you. 

Tumblrs 1 & 2

I am 100% scum.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Yup, that was in there. Just imagine! I had a friend who would stick one in each of her bra cups for a bit of a boost and so they weren't in her handbag when we went out. One day she removed one to use and forgot about the other. Some very confused lads knocking about that day. And of course, with them on your hips, in your bra, your shoes... you'd never be able to undress around another person again.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I guess this is in the wrong place but it belongs here ore than the problem solving thread...

Anyone know where I can get a good green eyeshdow? Now, I'm talking a nice medium shade of emerald. You know, just a normal, kinda dark green. Not the demented bright sap green shade that seems to be the only thing I can find anywhere! (Khaki is quite common too and only slightly more appealing)

Suggestions? :/

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Barry M do various shades of greens.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^As chavvy (sp) as it sounds, do you have a Claire's over there?

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I actually just thought of Barry M after posting, I had a look at their range online and there are some nice potential ones but I'll have to check in a shop sometime I think! Yep, we have Claire'ses over here Panda!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Barry M stands in places like Boots and Superdrug (does Ireland have those shops?) tend to do offers like 3 for £10 on eye shadow or buy a nail polish get an eye pencil free.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Haha yes we do indeed, however all the Barry M stands tend to be quite small, so while it's a very good idea, I will almost definitely have to shop hop for the right colour, they only seem to stock the most popular stuff...

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Lush Guru

Date:

Superdrug almost always has a bigger Barry M stand than Boots. Something to do with rights/exclusives/boring stuff.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eccentrica Gallumbits wrote:

1. Face Epilator.

This is my favourite, favourite thing in my bag! It's basically a miniature skipping rope made out of a spring which you pull it apart, then close as you skim your face. In terms of pain, it feels like plucking, and there are places it hurts more than others, but in the end it just feels pleasantly tingly. You don't have to devote any time to using it and usually I do it whilst walking around/watching Deadwood etc. It's fun, and makes it really easy to put on foundation (or in my case bb cream) afterwards, as it glides on smoothely with no hair, and you don't get that look of powder on your tiny little face hairs. I bought mine from a site called prettyandcute.com, but you can get them from amazon or anywhere, just type in "face epilator".

This is my only contribution to the thread I have, but I wanted to share it.

If you can't afford a face epilator, a good substitute is about four or five inches of cotton thread, tied in a loop, and twisted in the middle six or seven times. To use it, just put your fingers through the loops at either end, put the twists next to your face, and move your fingers to adjust the sizes of the loops, pulling it along your face and removing hairs.

It's not as good at real face epilators, but it works!

Honoured Mook

Date:

^I believe this is technically threading, which you could actually get done professionally if you don't trust yourself pulling thread around your face.

The only other thing I can really share right now is that if you have oily skin, exfoliating two or three times a week should help relieve it a bit and will also leave your skin lovely and soft. Just be sure to moisturize it to protect it!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ ah of course! I was desperately trying to remember what it was called, but couldn't for the life of me! Thank you!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

THIS THREAD NEEDS TO COME BACK, OKAY

I don't know about you guys, but I hate the smell of dry shampoos. It's always this horrible, cloying, preteen smell, and on top of that they make my hair look really dull and with dark hair like mine they're basically impossible to brush out enough that you don't later look in the mirror and notice a patch with a strong grey tinge. Recently, I've started using cocoa powder as dry shampoo and it is the BEST IDEA. It's barely noticeable against my dark hair, mops up oil whilst keeping hair shiny, and you smell like a freshly baked brownie. I do 50/50 cocoa and plain flour if my hair is very oily, and this seems to work really well too. Plus, SUPER CHEAP!

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Regular Crew

Date:

^
It's not so much the smell of dry shampoo I hate, but the texture and feel of it on my hands- it makes me shiver with disgust (I hate dry feelings like cotton wool and chalk). The pale/blonde hair version of your cocoa powder trick is plain baby powder- it blends right into my hair, smells good, and is way cheaper than dry shampoo!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I have a bottle of Lush's dry shampoo that isn't great but I'm finishing, and then I was planning on going over to cocoa powder.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

I have a can of dry shampoo in my weekend bag for when I go away, but otherwise I mix baby powder with some cheap pink blush so it matches my head and it works great.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can get tinted dry shampoo (it doesn't stain your hair, just stops it being all white if you have dark hair). I use it a lot now I flick my fringe back...but I just use the white xxl volume stuff. Cocoa powder sounds like such a nifty idea!!!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us