Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Beauty Tips!

Honoured Mook

Date:
Beauty Tips!

I watch "Snog, Marry, Avoid?" far too much!

The idea for this thread actually comes from the section of the show where they get Jenny Frost to test out random, inexpensive beauty tips that you can try at home. I figured, mooks being a creative bunch, would have a few to share.

(I was also thinking of turning this thread into an article once others had posted their ideas?)

My personal tips:

When I have one huuuge spot, I put a tea bag on it to make it a white head, pop it (with clean fingers) then put the strongest perfume possible on it. Stings like hell, but dries it up a treat.

Warm milk gets rid of hairdye stains from your skin.

Bicarbonate of soda or washing up liquid can help fade your fake tan disaster (along with a good exfoliator.)

Sugar makes an ace exfoliator if you've run out & it dissolves (won't leave a mess in the bath)

If your eyebrows look like you could do with a wax, use a tiny bit of Vaseline & sort them into shape.

Olive oil heated up makes an awesome mask for damaged/bleached hair  (not good if you've got Manic Panic or other brightly coloured hair, it will strip these!)

If you use Head & Shoulders or any other anti dandruff shampoo on dyed hair, it strips colour quicker (useful if you've gone a shade darker than you intended or if you're at the "growing-out-black-hair" phase)

So, any beauty pearls of wisdom to offer?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Honoured Mook

Date:

None to add, but good thread girl!! X

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thankyou! ^^

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

for dark circles or for after you have plucked your eyebrows put two table spoons in the freezer for 10 minutes and then place on the area its needed

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

Honoured Mook

Date:

For spots... as you brush your teeth put a dab of toothpaste on it. Ideally this should be the white creamy (not gel) toothpaste but I've had it work with both... in fact, you know that foam that you get on your lips when brushing your teeth? That seems to 'sink' into your sink better than pure toothpaste. Do it in the evening, rinse it off after a few minutes and it'll help dry up the spot by morning.

Also - either to do as a scrub or for spots, take a aspirin and gently dip it under warm water, just enough to get a a few drops on it. Mash it with your fingers, add a little more water if needed to make it disintegrate and dab it onto your spots (you can use more to make a scrub). It has salicylic acid, which is used in many acne treatment products -- but at a fraction of the cost.

Have short hair and out of your favorite product, and only have crappy gel around? I find that a dab of hairgel and a tiny dab of plain hand lotion mixed together creates a nice product that helps style/manage my shaggy pixie cut on days when I just want it to look decent and nothing more. The lotion keeps you from getting that dry-hard-glossy gel look, but if you use too much it'll make it look greasy.. I don't know it worked great for me as gel was the wrong product but I didn't want to waste it either. (Note: you should really rub the mixture into your fingers/palms like any hair balm/styler, you don't want to see any globs of it, and then run it through your hair. Might work to reduce frizz for longer hair??)

-- Edited by lemonslimes on Thursday 19th of August 2010 10:59:49 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hair conditioner is great for shaving with, in fact I don't buy shaving gel any more and just double up :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Queen Latifah says use a little bit of baking soda and warm water to exfoliate!

That's all I got. P:

Lush Guru

Date:

_cinnamonstars wrote:

Hair conditioner is great for shaving with, in fact I don't buy shaving gel any more and just double up :)

Me too me too!

Mashed 'nanas are a good deep hair conditioner.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Whisked eggs are a great conditioning treatment for hair.

But rinse them out with cold water. Otherwise you get scrambled egg.

Not that this happened to me, or anything... :D

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i use a beer rinse in my hair once a month to keep it shiney (only recomended for brunnettes tho)

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Ciggette ash on a little swab of cotton wool takes hair dye right off skin, or i the thought makes you cringe, eye make up remover pads to the same job.

For red hair use red hena shampoo with hena extract to keep it red! you can get this at boots in the uk, im not sure about us mooks, im sure theres something similar there.

Ok onto beauty.

Invest in a good make up primer Urban Decay do a good primer potion, this works as an undercoat for eyeshadow and foundation and gives you a great pro looking finish to your make up.

Golf tee's! you know those wee things you dad uses when he plays golf to tee the ball off? I find the end of these,(the little pointy bit) great for making designs on your nails, once you've done your first coloured coat, and left it to dry, load your tee up with a diffrent color and make funky zig zigs or other designs on your nails!

Hair, If your light haired, blonde,ginger, light brown, this should work for you, If you want funky coloured hair but not permantly, take some food colouring and streak your hair diffrent colors! It washes right out. theres a few vids on youtube to show you how to do this, and make sure you wear gloves!

-- Edited by Knives on Saturday 21st of August 2010 11:13:33 AM

'Driving My Tea' Since 22.02.2011

Regular Crew

Date:

If your hair is flat or greasy, lemon juice on the roots will make fluffy. And smell nice.

What's your point anyway? Survival?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I know this is necroposting to hell, but I really want to share a huge blog I just made on beauty tips and recommendations. It'll probably be in a weird font because I shall copy + pasta, but I hope to impart somewhat!

1. Face Epilator.

This is my favourite, favourite thing in my bag! It's basically a miniature skipping rope made out of a spring which you pull it apart, then close as you skim your face. In terms of pain, it feels like plucking, and there are places it hurts more than others, but in the end it just feels pleasantly tingly. You don't have to devote any time to using it and usually I do it whilst walking around/watching Deadwood etc. It's fun, and makes it really easy to put on foundation (or in my case bb cream) afterwards, as it glides on smoothely with no hair, and you don't get that look of powder on your tiny little face hairs. I bought mine from a site called prettyandcute.com, but you can get them from amazon or anywhere, just type in "face epilator".

2. Italy cloth.

Ok, so this one hurts. It's a loofah like mit which you use to rub away dead skin whilst having a nice bath. "But I don't have dead skin!" I hear you exclaim! I thought so too, as I skeptically grated away at my skin with it, but curls of skin came off and afterwards the skin felt so smooth... yet pink... very pink. I found out about it in a vlog about Korean bath houses by two Canadians. Apparently the Italy cloth is a must have, and is most effective when you get nekkeds with a friend and let them srub you. That and they won't pussy out with scrubbing. I only use it once a week, because any more regular than that would cause scabbing, but it's satisfying in a disgusting kind of way when you do it... kind of like picking your nose then eating it.

3. BB Cream.

I do not use foundation. You may or may not have came across the annoying Garnier adverts for their new BB Cream, a craze which has recently hit the UK, but BB Cream is mainly used across Asia. It was originally made for people who had undergone surgery as a means to cover the scars and heal the skin, but eventually it was expanded to the public and became a hybrid of a cosmetic and a face cream. From what I have heard, Garnier bb cream is more just a tinted moisturiser, which is not metal, but other less known brands have skin repairing propeties, high spf protection and many boast skin lightening qualities (this point would need furthur discussion in another post which I'm not going near. But basically, whilst tanning is popular in the West, it's kind of the opposite in the East, so make up caters to that desire.) There are many different brands of BB Cream and most only come in one or two shades, but the one I have found suits my tone is the Missha brand. I use a mix of 'Perfect Cover' no. 21 and no. 13 to match my skin and I got a pleasant suprise when no. 13 was too light, as I have NEVER found a foundation light enough on the high street. Another good thing about BB cream is that because it also works as a moisturiser, it won't make you break out in sexy spots everywhere, and actually improves your skin as time goes by with regular use. It is also light, so it doesn't feel mask like, and great for pasty people like me who feel a bit excluded by the mainstream market.

4. Lemon water.

Aside from being a fucking great laxative, lemon water is good for skin too :D. I'm trying to get better with drinking water at the moment, but recently I've been putting lemon juice in it too and now I feel strange drinking just normal water. I first started the citrus mouth party when I was looking for ways to get rid of scars from acne, because I am terrible for picking scabs, and my face has red scars all over it. Though I've only been using it for about a week, which isn't really long enough to see if there is any difference or not, I am very regular and my skin isn't as dried out, also, the bags under my eyes, which are horrific and disgusting to me have lessened.

5. The tape forehead trick... thing

I need to give credit to this woman for this tip. It is, I'm afraid, a stupid thing people do for a not very reak problem, but if you're paranoid or just want to laugh at yourself looking ridiculous, try it. I am aware that I don't have wrinkles, and I'm not the kind of person who worries about them, but in short, you bosh shit loads of moisturiser in your lines (frown lines or forehead lines), cut some sports tape into an approporiate shape (see the video), push it against the direction of the lines and leave it on. Like the face epilator, you don't have to devote any time to it, it doesn't take long at all, just don't forget you're wearing it if you need to go out.

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

^YES. I wholeheartedly agree with all. Except the tape thing. I've never tried that. And I don't think I'd ever epilate my face, personally. BUT ALL OTHER THINGS. AGREE.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Rachel you are SO helpful and cute and bdfbfjkdrsthgfd FULL OF WIN. But I couldn't help but notice there wasn't a link to your beauty blog anywhere.. *all the sads!*

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Haha, if only I was worthy enough to start a beauty blog!
I might start a blogspot around that sort of thing. It would be helpful for me to keep all of this somewhere I could look back on too...
And as far as the face epilating goes, I just think of it as extreme plucking :D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Extreme plucking :) Olympic sport!!

Can't say I've ever really been bothered by the fluffy hair on my face. Thicker hair, yes. I use cream because it's quick but it obviously doesn't stop it from growing back...and it kind of makes me feel like a man when I'm using the little spatula thing to remove the cream.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't use hair removal cream on my face, doesn't it make it grow back funny? Then again, mine has grown back funny ever since I shaved it when I was younger x_X.

I use hair removal creamon my arms... I have a bit of a love of smooth things, so I find myself constantly stroking materiel like spandex or marble. I LIEKS SMOOV. So I like to be smooth too, I don't even care about the look of it, I just like rubbing myself... is that strange? o_O

-- Edited by Eccentrica Gallumbits on Friday 29th of June 2012 02:37:48 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It just basically disolves the hair by making it extremely alkaline - it works in the same way as bleaching your hair but way more concentrated. It doesn't do anything to the root so I dunno why it would grow back differently.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Eccentrica Gallumbits wrote:

I don't use hair removal cream on my face, doesn't it make it grow back funny? Then again, mine has grown back funny ever since I shaved it when I was younger x_X.

I use hair removal creamon my arms... I have a bit of a love of smooth things, so I find myself constantly stroking materiel like spandex or marble. I LIEKS SMOOV. So I like to be smooth too, I don't even care about the look of it, I just like rubbing myself... is that strange? o_O

-- Edited by Eccentrica Gallumbits on Friday 29th of June 2012 02:37:48 PM

Not at all. xD Skin is nice. If I don't like the way my own skin feels, I will gladly rub someone else's.

Tumblrs 1 & 2

I am 100% scum.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ohhh beauty tips!

1. A high spf sunscreen is brilliant primer for foundation, it protects the face and helps create a lovely canvas for your foundation!
2. For a high coverage foundation which doesn't melt of your face in the heat, mix liquid foundation with a tinted moisturizer and apply all over the face with hands and buff in with a beauty blender. Then to set it use a powder foundation rather than a normal powder!
3.Bottom of your lashes not the same colour as your mascara? No problem! Just brush a matching colour eyeliner to the base of the lashes before applying mascara.
4. For bigger lashes push brown eyeshadow in to the base of the lashes to give them a fuller effect and before applying mascara apply a clear or white mascara to create a larger base for mascara.
5.For great brows without filling them in, brush clear mascara through them to give a neat shape! Applying a slightly lighter concealer under the brows also highlights them and creates a sharper edge.

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thank you for the toothpaste tip for spots - maybe it was just coincidence, but i'll definatly try it again!

My own tips..

1. Olive oil makes a nice make up remover, especially if you have dry/ sensitive skin as it doesnt dry it out.

2.Dont rub your face with towels, flannels etc., just pat lightly or only use hands. Apparently it aggrevates the skin and can cause breakouts. My skin has been a lot better since i was told this!

3.I have trouble finding a foundation that matches my skin tone because im so pale, so i just lightly dust my face with white powder after applying foundation. If you do it light enough it still looks natural and just lightens up the colour a little!

4. If your trying to grow your nails file them into a round or oval shape, as square or pointed shaped nails break more easily.

5. When cutting/ trimming your own fringe, i find its easier to do it with dry hair as you can see how much it springs up. (Although this could be just me!)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree with five, I always cut my own hair and I never do it wet. My hair always ends up doing something different when it dries, so whilst it might look awesome when wet/damp, by the time it's dry it'll have flicked up somewhere odd and I'll have to trim it again to get the shape right. If you cut your own hair, always do it with dry hair that is in it's 'natural' state (hair dye is fine, but don't straighten/curl first unless you ALWAYS have is styled like that). That way you can cut and shape it so that it'll just fall like you want it without needing to be straightened and arranged and fluffed and flounced to get it the way it was when you first cut it. Emma or another hair dresser might be able to explain the benefits of wet cutting, but I don't see any reason for it aside from keeping scissors/combs clean.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Baby Mook

Date:

Combing Bio oil onto your eyelashes before bed fortnightly keeps them in great condition and makes mascara easier to remove as the eyelashes are less porous. 

Be careful not to get it in your eyes though! 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wet cutting makes it easier to section cleanly and follow the guideline under each new section. I always finish the cut after I've dried it so I can see how it's sitting and if it needs thinned out or anything. Fringes, I always cut them dry after they've been washed and dried. Curly or wavy hair is better to cut a little bit drier than straight hair because it bounces up when dry.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Well, I figured there would be some reason. Thanks Emma! But since I tend to manage cutting my hair dry, I personally wouldn't benefit from wetting it, and I'd probably muck it up even more.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A+E, I just saw your rant and I totally agree, and you reminded me of a really good, flexible and effective recipe I have for a face mask! Not everyone's cup of tea but it's fun to stick together and it can be changed to suit any skin type, and it makes a good gift too :) Some are cupboard ingredients, some aren't, and some are cheap and some are pricey and hard to find.

1) Two tablespoons of ground almonds (all skin types and beautifully, gently exfoliating) or oats (for sensitive/ sunburnt/ dry/ parched skin). You can also use a spoon of each if you have them and feel adventurous.

2) Then, add about half a teaspoon of any of the following, in whatever combo you like!
Rosemary (strenghtening/ cleansing/ smoothing)
Thyme (same as above, cleansing, calming)
Tarragon (cleansing, freshening)
Mint (smoothing, calming
Dried garlic powder (bit smelly but AMAZING for spots!)
Cocoa (smells lovely, good for older/ delicate skin, cleansing)
Dried chilli (brightening, cleansing, but use a tiny bit only and keep it out of your eyes!)
Poppy seeds (nourishing and exfoliating)
Could go on for days here, those are just some choice examples!

3) Add a wet ingredient, about 1 and a half tablespoons give or take, depending on the consistency-
Mushed avacado (smoothing, soothing, cleansing, etc)
Probiotic yoghurt (nourishing, soothing)
Few drops of tea tree oil/ lemon oil (cleansing, fab for spots) and some water
Rose water (older skin)
Vodka (clarifying but smelly!)

4) Store airtight in the fridge. With a drop of plain old glycerine, it'll last about 5 days, depending on what exactly you've used. Otherwise use in 48 hours. You can also omit the wet ingredient and give as powder with a ripe avacado or similar as a cool gift :)

I think that's enough to keep us busy for a while :)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I think my top tip is a really obvious one, but I kind of wish I had taken heed of it when I was a teenager... MOISTURISE YOUR FUCKING FACES. JUST DO IT. Even if you have acne. Find a moisturiser that's good for acne skin. You will thank yourself later. When I was a teenager, my mum was constantly telling me to moisturise but I was convinced I would be greasy, so I barely ever did it, and when I did, I'd use really tiny amounts of moisturiser spread over my whole face.

I wish I'd started moisturising sooner.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Regular Crew

Date:

if you paint your nails darker colors use a clear base coat first so it wont stain your nails.

before you go to bed put lotion on your feet and a pair of cozy socks youll have uber soft touchable feet in the morning

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ampersand wrote:

I think my top tip is a really obvious one, but I kind of wish I had taken heed of it when I was a teenager... MOISTURISE YOUR FUCKING FACES. JUST DO IT. Even if you have acne. Find a moisturiser that's good for acne skin. You will thank yourself later.

^ truefax, this is one of the simplest things you can do, and the most effective, and  don't forget your neck and hands too.

candy's right, you'll be thankfull. it's the only 'beauty' regiem i've ever done, and i always get told i do not look my age. (43, most people guess mid 30's)

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us