Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: The mini-problem solving thread!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
The mini-problem solving thread!

Heated dryer rails are amazing!!!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I love being able to hang my washing out at last, my garden is a little sun trap an I can get two loads of washing out a day in the height of summer, drying bedding on the line is the best, less creases an they smell wonderful

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My workplace is looking for people to take on leadership roles. I'm pretty confident that I can do it and so I intend to apply, but we need to send in a CV and covering letter. I can probably work out the covering letter but I'm wondering: how much detail do I put about my current role on my CV, given that the person reading it will be the person I'm already working with all day? It's a very odd situation for me.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I would put as much as possible. Treat it like any other application and don't assume the person knows all the things you do currently.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Agreed! Also, if you can, frame what you put in terms of successes and achievements. E.g. "I achieved xxx by doing zzz", or "I supported the success of xxx by doing zzz". It is not being arrogant. For leadership roles it can help a manager understand that you know what a team's goals are and proactively work towards those goals, not just passively following orders (although of course with team spirit you put your all into whatever tasks you do).

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Voting and council tax question: Paco is currently staying with his mother. Paco wants to register to vote. However, his mother has told him that she will lose her single person council tax discount if he registers to vote at her address. Can anyone verify this? I mean, it makes sense, but he'd really like to be able to vote, obviously!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I don't know for certain, so don't take any of this as gospel but:
1) if she is found to have someone else living with her, she would lose it anyway and probably get into trouble for not declaring it in the first place
2) if he isn't not 'living' there, does he have another address he should be registering under?

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What Emmi said. This is fraud.

Also, what are you doing trying to fix it for him anyway? He's a grown-up who can work it out himself. Not your circus, not your monkeys.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Does anyone know anything about getting gloss paint off clothes? Painted the green screens at work wearing a paper suit (many murder/meth jokes were had) but it was WOEFULLY inadequate and I've got paint on my work pants. I've literally had them for a week and they're really expensive considering how much I earn and what I'd normally pay for trousers... I've tried white spirit, sugar and fairy liquid, scrubbing, scraping, soaking, swearing at them... if anyone has any other genius ideas: I'm all ears.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If it is already dry the concensus would appear to be you can't remove it I did see a suggestion of steaming it to try and moisten it up then use white spirit. I would go down the permanent marker route and colour over it.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Ok this is such a silly problem to have, I'm not sure if I've been asked on a date, I saw an old acquaintance on a dating site an sent a 'hello how's life been etc' type message an to make a long story short he asked to go for a drink

A long long time ago I had a massive crush on this guy an don't know if it's that making me think it might be a date etc but should I go with that in mind etc or just go with an old friends catching up mind set?

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ bit of both. Mind set of "catching up with potential of date as met up on dating site." That's how I would see it. Casual bit flirty if the mood takes you

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks spikey I'm gonna try getting into that mind set as my anxiety is going through the roof

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I finished my master's a month ago and got an email from my supervisor yesterday, suggesting I submit a shorter version of my thesis to a well-known journal in my field and present it at a conference. I'm honoured and would love to do this, but I'm working full-time now and the submission deadline is in two weeks, so I don't know if I can find the time to edit the paper. Should I just try and do it or tell my supervisor I don't have time? Would it be way too cheeky to say that I don't have time now, but would be interested in doing something in the future? I don't really have to publish anything since I'm not planning on doing a PhD, but I put a lot of effort into my thesis and it would be nice to get it out there.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I don't see why your supervisor would be annoyed if you say that you have too much work right now but would like to do something in the future. In fact, she should be proud to see one of her old students so invested in her new career.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Not a problem but I don't know where else to put a question! Boyfriend is going to Wales next month. Is there anything special UK-based mooks would advise me to ask him to bring me? :) 

Date:

It's not Welsh, more Cumbrian, but whenever I went to Wales I'd always find Kendal mint cake in the local shops. It's not cake at all, more a block of mint-flavoured sugar. Similarly, this may not exist any more but in health food shops I would always find coltsfoot rock, which is a sweet stick of rock flavoured with coltsfoot herbs.

Also, whenever I go to different places I like to bring back a stone or shell, whatever's appropriate for the region. Wales has sweeping coasts and wonderful rivers. If your boyfriend is anywhere like that, maybe you'd like him to bring you back a small Welsh stone :)

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I love Wales, just came back home from Llandudno myself on Monday, depending on how far an the method of travel I'd get Welsh cakes (my brother in law loves them although not my cup of tea) an barabrith (don't think I've spelled that correctly)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MAKE HIM GET YOU A LOVE SPOON, CAVE!

too stupid for the bar

and

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thanks for the recommendations, lovelies! Charlie, I've finally got around to googling what a love spoon was (expected something dirty tbh) and they're beautiful! I might actually ask him to get me one! 

Honoured Mook

Date:

Can't believe it was me who came here for advice last, and also that this thread has been dead since last summer! 

Anyway, please don't laugh at my silly rookie question but I'm a bit at a loss. I'm going to the UK for the first time in my life on Monday and my first task once I land at London Stansted will be to get to Chelmsford. Now I have no idea how buses/trains work in England and it scares me more than having to fly by myself for the fist time (and that's saying something). As I'm not the type of person who'd just wing it and hope to find a way to get there once I'm at the airport, I'm trying to look up a connection and preferably buy a ticket online, too. I can't seem to find a direct connection, though, and trains seem to be incomparably more expensive then buses/coaches.

Is there by any chance a Mook familiar with this particular area who could advise me on the easiest way to get to Chelmsford for a non-well-travelled first time visitor? Or, can you recommend reliable, non-dodgy websites where I can book my tickets? I'll also be carrying a relatively large and heavy suitcase so I need to be able to take it with me on the bus/train and, if possible, I need the transfer, wherever I need to change, to be as smooth and painless as possible. 

Advice? 

Date:

Hello there! I will look into this and give you a proper reply tomorrow morning. Also i am working from home so if your travel connections work out it would be nice to meet for a cuppa in London town en route to Chelmsford. No worries if not but I will try to help with travel connections info if another mook doesn't get there first!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thank you so much, Magda! I'm afraid I'll be rather pressed for time on Monday because I arrive in London at around 3 PM and I need to get to Chelmsford that same afternoon/evening but perhaps we could hang out when I'm on my way back on August 1st? I need to check but I think my plane doesn't leave till about 6 PM. Also, I'm hoping to make a trip to London on one of the weekends that I'm there, I've never been! Unfortunately though, I can't make any plans before I see my schedule. 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hi Cave, unsure why you couldn't find a direct connection? Google maps seems to say it's just one bus (unless you're putting in something more specific than "Chelmsford" as destination). As a rule, trains are more expensive than buses or coaches, over short distances, but cheaper over longer ones, and more expensive and less reliable the more rural you get. Buses are a flat fee in London and pay for single/return to destination everywhere else. It seems the bus you need to get is a First service, and you can buy bus tickets directly from them online or on their app, or you can pay on the bus itself with in cash or using contactless payment.

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can catch a First bus from Stansted airport, the X30 and the X10 leave from bay 19 in the coach station (which is right in front of you as you come out of the airport) and go to Chelmsford, and it's about 40 minutes. As Charlie said, you can buy tickets online from First Group or on the app, or you can buy them on the bus.

-- Edited by cowl on Wednesday 27th of June 2018 07:16:04 AM

Date:

Charlie and Cowl to the rescue! Hope you have a smooth journey Ootchi and do give the mooks a shout when you're settled in and planning a London trip.

Honoured Mook

Date:

You Mookyfolk are incredible! Thank you so much, this is precisely the kind of advice I was hoping for - clear and easy to follow ;) 

I actually got an email from the centre I'll be working at, telling me about the exact bus connection you guys have mentioned. I am a lot less worried now and I think I can finally start getting excited! ;) 

Date:

MINI PROBLEM: WILD CAMPING

I've been inspired by others to go solo wild camping - isolation, connection with nature and sleeping (almost) rough under the stars far from anyone are something I really want to get into!

However, my main consideration is safety. It reminds me of when I was in India, and a cis man told wonderful stories of how he cycled naked into the dunes for a day of explorations, and I thought - that's very nice but I'm a woman, mate. The risks are too high for me to give myself that option.

I think the first step, for me, might be to try some solo but legit camping in a wild and wooded zone. I've found a farm that offers 'wild' camping in a field in the middle of 60 acres of medieval forest. This sounds like a really good starting spot for me to test out my bivvy bag! I welcome this softer option because I know from experience how travelling solo makes you hyper-aware of everything, and I think being under the stars without a tent on my own will already make me alert to the sounds of the forest wildlife and all other kinds of things.

My mini problem is this: I don't want to sleep in the field. I want to follow all the key guidelines of wild camping to protect the environment and leave no trace, and sleep in the woodland. Do I ask the farm's owner for permission?

On the one hand, if I ask then they might say yes and then I've been super upfront and they won't panic. I've had hospitality owners panic before. I'll never forget the time I stayed out all night for a one night stand after stowing my stuff in a hostel in Ireland, thus blowing an 11pm curfew, and came back the next morning to find a police officer at my bunk bed because the hostel owner had got so freaked by my absence!

On the other hand, I really want this. If I don't ask for permission, I can't be refused.

What do you think?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Quick Q for UK mooks: Can your GP give you a birth control shot?

I usually get my shot done at a trans-friendly walk in at the same time as my T shot because both are done every 12 weeks, but I'm having some problems getting my T and I don't really feel up to making the trek there just for my depo shot. There was a sexual health clinic nearby but it closed at the beginning of the month & I'm finding it kind of confusing knowing where to go. The trans clinic is only open wednesdays 5-7 but I really don't feel up to going today and I'm not sure whether to just suck it up and go or not :(

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ In short Harlan, yes! Nearly all GPs stock Depo Provera and it is just a simple IM injection.

too stupid for the bar

and

« First  <  Page 81  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us