Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What's wrong with Fishnets?


Baby Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:
RE: What's wrong with Fishnets?


Picklechops wrote:

Louise, I don't think you should let what other people think stop you from looking and dressing the way you want to. I never have, and although it gets you down at first you become more and more confident and end up adopting a "fuck you" attitude. One of my friends (who, to be honest, dresses like a boy) once said "What the fuck are you wearing?" to me. My reply? "It's called a dress, if you wore one once in a while you wouldn't look like a butch dyke". Of course this is someone I've known for years and insulting each other is part of our friendly banter!



Even myself if Isee a girl walk down the street in fishnets, my first reaction is to think she's a whore because everyone around me is pushing that thought into each others heads. It sucks, I wish we could wear little outfits without it being looked as at slutty or you know.. guys taking advantage of it and shit. Not as in lingerie but you know.. short clothes.

 



__________________
Love is like a bomb, baby c'mon get it on!


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1306
Date:

LouiseHeslip wrote:

 

Picklechops wrote:

Louise, I don't think you should let what other people think stop you from looking and dressing the way you want to. I never have, and although it gets you down at first you become more and more confident and end up adopting a "fuck you" attitude. One of my friends (who, to be honest, dresses like a boy) once said "What the fuck are you wearing?" to me. My reply? "It's called a dress, if you wore one once in a while you wouldn't look like a butch dyke". Of course this is someone I've known for years and insulting each other is part of our friendly banter!



Even myself if Isee a girl walk down the street in fishnets, my first reaction is to think she's a whore because everyone around me is pushing that thought into each others heads. It sucks, I wish we could wear little outfits without it being looked as at slutty or you know.. guys taking advantage of it and shit. Not as in lingerie but you know.. short clothes.

 



Well I don't see how in the same post you can say that even you think of girls wearing fishnets as whores and then that you wish that people could wear outfits without being looked at as slutty. I find that a little bit hypocritical and if you wish that people could wear outfits without being looked at as slutty, then stop thinking that girls in fishnets are whores.



__________________
[I am not afraid, I was born to do this]

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!



Baby Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:

Picklechops wrote:

LouiseHeslip wrote:

 

Picklechops wrote:

Louise, I don't think you should let what other people think stop you from looking and dressing the way you want to. I never have, and although it gets you down at first you become more and more confident and end up adopting a "fuck you" attitude. One of my friends (who, to be honest, dresses like a boy) once said "What the fuck are you wearing?" to me. My reply? "It's called a dress, if you wore one once in a while you wouldn't look like a butch dyke". Of course this is someone I've known for years and insulting each other is part of our friendly banter!



Even myself if Isee a girl walk down the street in fishnets, my first reaction is to think she's a whore because everyone around me is pushing that thought into each others heads. It sucks, I wish we could wear little outfits without it being looked as at slutty or you know.. guys taking advantage of it and shit. Not as in lingerie but you know.. short clothes.

 



Well I don't see how in the same post you can say that even you think of girls wearing fishnets as whores and then that you wish that people could wear outfits without being looked at as slutty. I find that a little bit hypocritical and if you wish that people could wear outfits without being looked at as slutty, then stop thinking that girls in fishnets are whores.




Okay you read it wrong. Everyone has always been putting thoughts in my mind that fishnet is trashy and slutty. I said that I wish I didn't think that, and I wish others didn't either because I seem to think they look cool.

 



__________________
Love is like a bomb, baby c'mon get it on!


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1849
Date:

^ You realise what you think is wrong so you can correct yourself after you think your initial reaction. I used to do it. So you think "Oh God that outfit is so slutty" and then remember "Oh no, wait that's wrong of me - it's just an outfit, she can wear what she likes." and eventually you won't have the behaviour that you've been taught.

__________________


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

I'm still struggling to see why people complain about stuff like this. I once wore a perfectly nice top with ribbons on the arms instead of sleeves (like a web kind of patten) and that was SO SCANDELOUS. I took the ribbon off (so I was wearing LESS fabric) and all of a sudden, hallelujah, I was safe for the public eye.

__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Booky Mooky (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2598
Date:

My high-moraled little sister calls me a tramp for wearing stockings instead of tights, because in more recent years stockings have become associated with prostitutes wearing skimpy lingerie. At the end of the day, it's my choice what I wear and not hers.

__________________
[Insert clichéd signature here]

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

The most ironic thing of all must be that if you wear a nun's outfit you're automatically a whore. Unless you really ARE a nun. (...Sorry I'm now imagining a real life nun wearing fishnets under her habit cos damn they ARE comfy. What would people say to that?)

People can get some really weird ideas from films and the like. One cinematic whore wears fishnets so EVERYONE who wears fishnets MUST be a whore? I bet the same girl was wearing a denim skirt and who hasn't got one of them in their wardrobe? Hell she was probably weaing knickers and a bra, aren't we all brazen little devils for doing that?

What will they think of next?

__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1849
Date:

I love the thought of nuns wearing naughty lingerie under their clothes. After all there's nothing wrong with that since no one is going to see it and it's not worn to entice a man, just to make her feel pretty. I also sometimes wonder what Muslim women are wearing under their Burqas. I like to image some have really nice designer outfits on or really bright quirky vintage clothes kept all secret underneath.

__________________


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2623
Date:

^ I like that idea too!

Personally, I've never had a problem with fishnets, nor have I been judged for wearing them. In fact, this whole 'only whores wear fishnets' thing is new to me. It's sad that people are starting to attach negative connotations to clothing these days. However, don't let other people's stupid opinions get you down. You go rock those fishnets :)

PS. I'm having a problem with my fishnets. When I carry a handbag around the zip catches on then netting and tears it. I was actually walking around after the Mooky meet with a massive naked hole on my leg -_- Bad times!

__________________

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

 



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1849
Date:

^ Same dude - with my spider web fishnets I was wearing that day. Except the holes in mine are XXL so they catch on EVERYTHING. I was afraid I was going to get traped on the tube train if I got caught on somehing, haha.

__________________


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Date:

I love fishnets, I think if they're worn correctly they look fab and punky. I think they look amazing with big boots and all sorts.
My mum thinks they are trashy however so wont let me wear them but then again I have quite short clothes generally.
Needless to say when I am not in the house anymore I shall be wearing them lots, I'm pretty sure I could get away with them at parties though.

__________________

"All smart girls should acknowledge a kindred spirit." - Shirley Manson



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Date:

^ You have to read the instructions on fishnets.

__________________

Liv

My Tumblr :)

 



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

electrosexual wrote:

I love the thought of nuns wearing naughty lingerie under their clothes. After all there's nothing wrong with that since no one is going to see it and it's not worn to entice a man, just to make her feel pretty. I also sometimes wonder what Muslim women are wearing under their Burqas. I like to image some have really nice designer outfits on or really bright quirky vintage clothes kept all secret underneath.



I knew a girl once who worked in some lingerie shop or other and was really excited one day. When I finally managed to get of off the ceiling she told us that a Muslim woman in a burqa had come in and bought some SERIOUSLY sexy stuff. As far as I know the women that wear them only wear them outside the house, this woman could easily be prancing around her home doing the vaccuming in her lovely knickers.

Sorry if I'm kinda digressing from the point
xxx

__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1817
Date:

ugh i agree i can never successfully wear fish nets !! its really annoying ant the steryotype is even more annoying !!!

__________________

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1817
Date:

Victoryxx wrote:

My high-moraled little sister calls me a tramp for wearing stockings instead of tights, because in more recent years stockings have become associated with prostitutes wearing skimpy lingerie. At the end of the day, it's my choice what I wear and not hers.



ugh my friend used to always say that i was a whore cause i wore stockings and my skirt was nearly down to my knees !!! athough it was wingy and my skirt blew up :(

 



__________________

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.



Regular Crew

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date:

I get looks when I wear fishnets. Not necessarily bad looks, but people do seem to notice me more. I think part of the reason that people think they're are scandalous is because for some reason it makes you look like you're wearing less clothes even though you're actually wearing MORE clothes than you would be if you took them off. It's an interesting contradiction. I personally love wearing them because they feel so cool against your skin. They way they shift when you move feels so pleasant.

I'm actually wearing them in my avatar, but it's hard to tell cause the picture is so small :)

-- Edited by mise_en_garde on Saturday 24th of July 2010 03:45:46 AM

__________________


Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

From this debate I gather that the place some of you people live really is no different from Iran when women's dress code is considered. I once said in another thread that the difference between western and conservative islamic societies is that in western societies a woman is free to wear what she wants. Obviously I have to take that back.

__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1626
Date:

^^ I don't know, I think sometimes it's a curse of choice. In societies where there's a very strict dress code, recognising a transgression is easy: you wear this, that's acceptable, you were that, that's not.

However, in societies like ours, there are technically no rules, but there are plently of unspoken guidelines, and sometimes they conflict. If I were a drunken forty-year old out on a hen night, my being in fishnets would not be shocking, it would be part of my costume. As a twenty-year old wearing fishnets and boots with a short tartan skirt because it's too hot to wear anything else, I'm an easier target because I'm younger, on the cusp of acceptable sexuality, and people are very eager to pigeonhole you into cliques. I wouldn't stand out in a group of goths, I would in a group of chavs.

Yesterday I ran into someone I went to school with in town. She looked me up and down: I was wearing tights with criss-cross patterning along the sides, clunky boots, a short skirt with layers of black velvet and tulle, and a black and white t-shirt tucked into the skirt. I saw her about 10 hours later at a pub: I was wearing the same outfit because I was too lazy to change. She turned to her friends and went 'She runs around in that all day.' For some reason, this was a bad thing. I'd transgressed a rule of what you wear when you go out, and by not changing I'd transgressed yet another rule. I don't care what this person thinks, she dresses in a completely different way to me. But it really hacked me off that people can be so bloody-closed minded about clothing: how did my appearance in any way have anything to do with her?

To cut a long post short: Irilar, I kind of agree with you, but in our society it's the unspoken criticism and assumptions which are the bane of many people's lives [mine included].

__________________


Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

Okai, true. I suppose I just live in a bubble world where one generally refrain from any negative or sexually charged comments on other people's looks ;)

Now that I think of it, all the most disturbing and rude comments I've ever gotten walking down the street minding my own business have been from male English tourists. I'm getting cold feet about my visit to England this autumn now! Happily, I'm an old fattie so I guess it should be okai :)

__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1626
Date:

Meh. Tell them to go fuck themselves. In Norwegian, naturally, and then give them a friendly smile and send them on their way. They'll be too English to admit that they didn't have a clue what you just said ^_^

__________________


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2179
Date:

Aenigma wrote:

Meh. Tell them to go fuck themselves. In Norwegian, naturally, and then give them a friendly smile and send them on their way. They'll be too English to admit that they didn't have a clue what you just said ^_^



Lol I really shouldn't find this funny but it's true. We do have some lovely closed minded people. But please remember that we have some lovely openminded people as well. The main problem is suburbs and smaller towns. In the centre of Manchester you can go around in a giant bunny suit and no one will bat an eyelid (which was proved when a small army of Furries marched through Picadilly Gardens and only the tourists seemed to notice). Wear as much as a smidge too much eyeliner in my area and you're gonna get noticed, fishnets would probably get me shot if I wore them in the general area rather then being en route to somewhere more accepting of such attire. I would assume it's not so different in other places either.

 



__________________

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

 Don't make me take the shades off...



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 238
Date:

There really should be a day dedicated to wearing fishnets. And if there is one... Get it on the Mooky calendar! :D

__________________

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 3054
Date:

Lady Misery wrote:

^ I like that idea too!

Personally, I've never had a problem with fishnets, nor have I been judged for wearing them. In fact, this whole 'only whores wear fishnets' thing is new to me. It's sad that people are starting to attach negative connotations to clothing these days. However, don't let other people's stupid opinions get you down. You go rock those fishnets :)

PS. I'm having a problem with my fishnets. When I carry a handbag around the zip catches on then netting and tears it. I was actually walking around after the Mooky meet with a massive naked hole on my leg -_- Bad times!






[irony]
Tut tut LM,put some clothes on that hole! Don't you know a naked hole is a harlot of a hole? Children might see it!
[/irony]

;)

Dave.

__________________
2015 : Muse VII :) "It's gonna get heavy!" ~ Matt

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 869
Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

 

electrosexual wrote:

I love the thought of nuns wearing naughty lingerie under their clothes. After all there's nothing wrong with that since no one is going to see it and it's not worn to entice a man, just to make her feel pretty. I also sometimes wonder what Muslim women are wearing under their Burqas. I like to image some have really nice designer outfits on or really bright quirky vintage clothes kept all secret underneath.



I knew a girl once who worked in some lingerie shop or other and was really excited one day. When I finally managed to get of off the ceiling she told us that a Muslim woman in a burqa had come in and bought some SERIOUSLY sexy stuff. As far as I know the women that wear them only wear them outside the house, this woman could easily be prancing around her home doing the vaccuming in her lovely knickers.

Sorry if I'm kinda digressing from the point
xxx

 




This reminds me a bit of a story a friend told me. He sells clothing in alternative styles, and one of his business friends who sells mainly Gothic stuff has a regular Muslim customer who will come in to his store and buy the most over-the-top things she can find to wear under her traditional garb.

Remembering that story always makes me smile.



__________________

:)



Seasoned Mookster

Status: Offline
Posts: 57
Date:

I wear variations on fishnets (like with smaller holes, or lacey patterns) all the time. Even my Grandma's like them, although granted one of them is probably atypical, given that she has launced a campaign to raise my hemline past my knee (apparently I need to dress my age).

__________________


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 238
Date:


I like my fishnets. I don't wear them nearly enough, but they are there in my drawer waiting to be donned.
My parents don't care, Mama-Dearest bought them for me :)

Where I live isn't a massive place. It's literally 100 times smaller than the population of London. However, I could still walk down the High Street without getting tutted at because, actually, there are loads of people around here who are far more interesting than little old me, so no one notices.

But I hate the fact that something as petty as what someone is wearing immediately means to people. Generally, no one stops to consider that if I'm wearing fishnets (or enter another contraversial item of clothing here) it is because I like to wear them and not because they're deemed sexy or slutty or whatever. A pair of fishnets is a pair of fishnets, a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans, a tshirt is a tshirt - I wish people would get over it and get on with their lives.

__________________

The more seeds you plant, the more flowers will grow.
Size Matters - Natasha Bedingfield
Tumblr & Twitter



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1108
Date:

I genuinely have had more passing remarks and sleazy come ons from when I was wearing knee high socks with shorts. If I wear a pair of fishnets, no one notices, but suddenly when I break out the sock collection I get chavvy folk going, "HAW BABE, NICE LEGS!" and following me for half an hour.

A strange incident.

__________________


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2635
Date:

My mum won't let me show any thigh if I'm wearing over the knee socks, but she will let me go sockless. I don't fully understand that, as the socks are covering up more leg than not wearing them at all.

__________________

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:

ive worn fishnets since i was 13 and my mam thought they were quite classy i think its how you wear them

__________________

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'



Baby Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:

electrosexual wrote:

^ You realise what you think is wrong so you can correct yourself after you think your initial reaction. I used to do it. So you think "Oh God that outfit is so slutty" and then remember "Oh no, wait that's wrong of me - it's just an outfit, she can wear what she likes." and eventually you won't have the behaviour that you've been taught.




^^^^ what she said. So whoever the fuck you are that said I was a hypocrite. Fuck up.

 



__________________
Love is like a bomb, baby c'mon get it on!
«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us