Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: I hate fake specs!

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: I hate fake specs!

I get stuff like that too, until I get people to try my glasses on, which makes them feel sick and drunk.

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

AirportMonkey wrote:

^What a dick. I mean, to top off the ridiculous comment with ableist language. Really.

Well, quite! 'Mong' is actually one of my most hated ableist slurs. As my brother was growing up (and he has very mild disabilities; he's very intelligent, perceptive, self aware etc. but has a lot of odd habits, tantrums and social difficulties due to mild autism and other complications he was born with due to his Hunters syndrome) he had all sorts of names thrown at him, and a lot of them rebounded back to me. 'Spaz's sister' was a cracker. The ignorance of some people appalls me.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I hate the word "mong". I work very closely with people with Down's syndrome and find it so offensive. I don't think people realise it comes from "mongoloid" which used to be the term to describe people with Down's and is pretty derogatory =\

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ It was used to describe Asian people as well, I think. So, it's offensive on two levels!

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lady Misery wrote:

Sense the above does not make. To wear glasses just not help the comprehension.

...No kidding, this sounds like it came through google languages or something. On the subject of glasses though, someone the other day said to me jokingly, 'Why are you wearing glasses, you mong?' I was quite shocked to be honest. I hate my specs with a vengeance and try to wear them for reading only, but I've never had a bad comment about wearing them before. In fact, in Primary school I started a trend for them- there was a big boom of bespectacled girls in Year 5 when I swanned in with my little blue Specsaver numbers. I know this guy wasn't serious, but I was quite hurt and shocked by the comment anyway.

What a stupid idiot. I hope it was a little kid who didn't yet know better. :|

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

A girl who I was on a school trip with in Germany who wore fake glasses. There was a mock award ceremony at the end of the trip and she won the Most Pointless Fashion Award. The teacher's words not mine. :)

Last minute "oh by the way" edit: if I had a walking stick it would need a ruby skull or something but I wouldn't use it unless I had to.

-- Edited by Valkyrie Darkstone on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 07:43:43 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

weetabexx wrote:

^ It was used to describe Asian people as well, I think. So, it's offensive on two levels!

People (even in the medical profession) used to call those with Downs Syndrome 'Mongolian Idiots'. Presumably it's something to do with the shape of their eyes. It's basically just an all round offensive one. I hadn't heard it for a few years until recently, when someone walking slowly down the cycle path told me to 'get on the road, you mong'. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I did spit back 'get off the cycle path, you mong'. I was in a bad mood, and she probably wouldn't have understood a more intelligent insult.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Valkyrie Darkstone wrote:

A girl who I was on a school trip with in Germany who wore fake glasses. There was a mock award ceremony at the end of the trip and she won the Most Pointless Fashion Award. The teacher's words not mine. :)

Last minute "oh by the way" edit: if I had a walking stick it would need a ruby skull or something but I wouldn't use it unless I had to.

You know, it would be kinda great if walking sticks did take off as a fashion statement, then perhaps less people would take the piss out of me when I have a horrid day with my joints and can't walk without it. Fashion camoflage. Mines a wooden one that my Granddad gave me. I'm tempted to decorate it with ribbons and rhinestones. And then wear matching fake glasses. :D

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I think they might have been getting confused between the words "Mongoloid" and "Mongolian"... Both are words. One is offensive, and one isn't. I wouldn't mind being called a Mongolian. I'd be confused, but I wouldn't mind. Mongoloid on the other hand, I would very much object to!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think the term Mongoloid was originally used to describe one of the three basic racial groups humans could be categorised as. Mongoloid, Negroid and Caucasian. I think I read that somewhere, ages ago. Anyway, now people call people Mongs and Niggers and it's just a bit pathetic really. It's sad how words change from basic descriptive terms to derogatory and insulting ones.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

onewhitelioness wrote:

I think the term Mongoloid was originally used to describe one of the three basic racial groups humans could be categorised as. Mongoloid, Negroid and Caucasian. I think I read that somewhere, ages ago. Anyway, now people call people Mongs and Niggers and it's just a bit pathetic really. It's sad how words change from basic descriptive terms to derogatory and insulting ones.

Yeah it was. I found this which is very helpful in explaining how the meaning of the word has changed over the years, and what it has been used to describe.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I wasn't aware people where calling other people 'mongs' again. What is wrong with people? That isn't funny as a joke either nor is it very clever.

In a few more weeks will be my first year anniversary wearing my glasses, I have astigmatism. I guess since I started wearing glasses when I was 21 people assume they're more of a fashion statement than me actually needing them.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I remember in primary school people were shockingly bad about this. One of the popular insults was 'spacker' and was usually accompanied by mimicking a disabled person by pushing their tongue in the lower lip and smacking the back of their hand. I've only just remembered people used to do this, and it horrifies me to think about it. I know they were just kids at the time but to do something so offensive as a mere insult... awful.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I smacked a guy off a table for yelling 'I'm a downie, i'm a downie' shortly after the birth of my cousin, who has Down's syndrome.

The teacher said nothing.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A+E: Wtf?! What kind of heartless person would find that funny! I know I can have morbid humor but that isn't humor at all, it's called being an asshole plain and simple. I'm sorry you went through that A+E and I hope you slapped some sense into him... literally.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Valkyrie Darkstone wrote:

You need a silver skull with flashing rubies for eyes,as seen in "Armageddon". :)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

«First  <  16 7 8 | Page of 8  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us