Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: I hate fake specs!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: I hate fake specs!

Oh I love Lilith. In fact I want to call my future daughter Lilith.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Picklechops wrote:

Well they didn't tell you that in school!

I took over an English class once and actually did tell everyone about all the old vampire myths and legends. The teacher stood there in stupidfied silence. She never asked me to explain any comments again. lol

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I am late. I am cross.
WEARING GLASSES IS NOT LIKE USING A WHEELCHAIR.
I have glasses and a wheelchair. If I hate my glasses I can wear contacts.
I am STUCK with the wheels, god damn it.
IT IS NOT THE SAME!!!
AND wearing glasses is NOT a disability.
If that's all I had "wrong" with me I would be fucking ecstatic.

And walking sticks aren't awesome when you HAVE to use one to stay upright disbelief

Sorry evileye 

-- Edited by Mimble on Thursday 12th of August 2010 08:11:23 PM

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Telling it like it is.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thanks ;)
Sorry about that. Disability campaigner here...!

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You're completely right Tabbs :)

The whole glasses theme of this thread reminds me that I should probably be wearing mine at all times. Everything goes slightly unfocused about an arm's length away from me, so I keep making the embarrassing mistake of waving at people I think I know when I quite clearly don't. However, I quite honestly hate the way I look wearing them plus I'm so clumsy I'm terrified of breaking them. Can under sixteen's wear contacts, Mooks?

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think so Lady M :)
I did, at least.

And thankyou - I like my "disabled person rants" :D xxxx

Tumblr

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

Yeah all the 'popular girls' did at school :)

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

Picklechops wrote:

Well they didn't tell you that in school!

I took over an English class once and actually did tell everyone about all the old vampire myths and legends. The teacher stood there in stupidfied silence. She never asked me to explain any comments again. lol

Hah that's awesome you got to explain about vampires! Pity you didn't get another chance,you could have done zombies next. ;)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Lilith was the reason I wanted to do Theology at university. Unfortunately, when I got there, nobody liked Lilith that much, so I didn't get to study her at all. Maybe that's why I switched to English...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Mimble wrote:

And walking sticks aren't awesome when you HAVE to use one to stay upright disbelief

Sorry evileye 

-- Edited by Mimble on Thursday 12th of August 2010 08:11:23 PM

My great-grandad needs to use a walking stick. It looks like one of those old-fashioned ones that Victorian gentlemen would have had. It's one of the coolest things I have ever seen and he likes it & finds my fascination with it amusing. xD

I would think that they were awesome even if a person needed it to stand upright because it allows people to do so when their body can't do it by itself. They can do something that they may not be able to without it. That's pretty awseome to me. I like to see the positive side of things. ^_^

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

He winked at you?  [tsk] Musicians. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
What are you talking about? 
You heard me rapping, right? 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lady Misery wrote:
Can under sixteen's wear contacts, Mooks?

Yes they can, my friend's in the process of getting some. 

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

You're not disabled, are you, Punk Rock Princess?
:D

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

No, why do ask? =)

(I'm a tad nosey =P )

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I once had to use crutches after a badminton accident. It was only for two weeks, but it nearly did my head in. I never realized how much it means to have a body that does what you want it to do, and how much I take health for granted. Just these little things you never think about, like going up stairs or fetching something from the fridge.

Anyone with a disability who can keep from throwing things at the wall and screaming in frustration every day have my deepest respect.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

''I detest sleep. I've got better things to do. Besides, I find it frightening - to awaken and be unsure of everything you remember about life not being just part of a dream. Waking means I've slept, and sleep dissolves what certainty I have left.''

Regular Crew

Date:

Ohhh, my post disappeared :(

''I detest sleep. I've got better things to do. Besides, I find it frightening - to awaken and be unsure of everything you remember about life not being just part of a dream. Waking means I've slept, and sleep dissolves what certainty I have left.''

Honoured Mook

Date:

Because if you did, you wouldn't say something that vacuous and hurtful.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I did not mean for it to be hurtful. Could you please explain to me how you see it that way? The way I see it is that these things make people with disabilities lives a bit easier. I'm not saying that their lives are perfect because of these devices. I know you mentioned in a previous post that you were in a wheel chair. But if you did not have that then you would have to drag your body across the floor, wheelchairs mean that you don't need to so moving around is a little bit easier. People with walking sticks can walk upright, my cousin is deaf, but because of his hearing aid, he can hear, people who are long or short sighted can see clearly with glasses or contacts (I know that's not a disability, but it is an example of how these types of devices help people). I just like that there's help for people through these devices and it means that they can do things they previously couldn't or makes something a little bit easier.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ooft, bear with me - mobile internet.

Basically lovie, yes, it IS good that these aids exist.

I'm afraid I just find your attitude insulting. Thing is, to someone with a disability, it's very hard to see the ''positive''. Ooo yay I don't have to crawl :D

I don't know HOW I'm insulted. I just see it from a very different perspective to you.

I guess it's a case of not being able to understand it 'til you've lived it ;)

Edit: Ok, figured it out. Coming from a ''normal person'' point of view, I think what you said is patronising. Awwww, poor lil disabled girl - but isn't she lucky to have a wheelchair?!

-- Edited by Mimble on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 05:48:51 PM

Tumblr

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Mimble, I think PRP really wasn't trying to be patronising - "because it allows people to do so when their body can't do it by itself. They can do something that they may not be able to without it." - That attitude shows a respect for the advances that have been made to empower people with disabilities and allow them to live their lives without having to ask for too much help, and with minimal difficulty. I know nobody without a disability will ever understand what it's like to have one, even if they are a carer or have disabled family members, and I understand that you may feel strongly about the subject, but I feel that what PRP said was respectful and well-meaning.

Date:

Sorry to butt in, I don't mean to hassle you PRP, but I think I have some further explanation: Some things in life is so bad that there isn't any way to be truly positive about it. Shit happens, you learn to live with it. But that process of learning will cost you, and it takes such effort to get there. Thus, attempts of pointing out insignificant positive aspects of something really bad from someone who haven't had to climb that particular mountain will seem offensive, no matter the intention.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Antonym, you may be right, but can we agree to disagree? smile

I guess it depends on the viewpoint.

And Irilar, thank you. You summed it up, what I was trying to explain!!!

-- Edited by Mimble on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 06:13:24 PM

Tumblr

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I think it's such an individual thing, there's no right viewpoint, as everyone has had such different experiences in their life, especially if you're contrasting a disabled person with a non-disabled person, and therefore crossed wires are bound to crop up - I'm absolutely sure PRP didn't mean to cause offense, but Mimble, you're totally within your rights to object to what she said if you find it patronising. I think Irilar summed it up wonderfully in a way that lets everyone understand!

*scatters happy fairy dust*

-- Edited by Antonym on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 06:17:12 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh I love Mooky *dances in a puff of Antonym's happy fairy dust*

I don't want to argue, and sorry PRP if I came on a bit "rah". I'm a disabled rights campaigner and sometimes it kind of dominates me wink

(However I'm still keeping my opinion!!)

-- Edited by Mimble on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 06:27:17 PM

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

*Randomly gatecrashes thread*
I think fake specs are quite cool, and I'm a tad envious of those who wear the real ones. They look so lovely! The amount of variety is wonderful, as you can get the likes of geeky, sophisticated or outrageous glasses. I tried to persuade Mitzi to let me get a pair of cheap glasses and pop out the lenses. They looked a lot like Bayonetta's glasses (the character is one of my icons), especially with the side detail. What pisses me off is the whole "Oh look, big glasses are popular, I'm going to wear them too!" attitude I see too much lately.
Sorry, I just wanted a say on the original post.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Don't blame you Ellie ;)
I actually wear contacts 'cause I have stoopid eyes and have to wear sunglasses, but I love glasses!! I'm forever trying them on!
However I can't justify £94 on the pair I want.
You know frames with no bottom bit? Well these had a bottom bit but no top, in candy pink and black (ooo they were lush!!)

Tumblr

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Sorry, I don't mean to hark back to this too much, but Mimble, I am also of the opinion that things such as walking sticks and wheelchairs are wonderful, as they enable disabled people to have easier, more independent lives, and I feel that if you are speaking to a forum which isn't exclusively for people who've experienced the same things as you, you may come across such seemingly 'ignorant' and 'patronising' attitudes such as mine and PRP's. I feel that if you class the praise of mobility aids as "vacuous and hurtful", that's quite a toxic attitude to take, as it makes people scared to address the issue in case they upset someone. Obviously we've never experienced what you have, but then that brings us to the question, 'If you haven't experienced something, is your opinion on it irrelevant/patronising, as you've never experienced it?'

Date:

*sprinkles some more happy fairy dust around*

Honoured Mook

Date:

@Mimble I was not being patronising. I just think that there are positive sides to certain situations. I can't help being a positive person. No I have not experienced being disabled but does that mean only disabled peoples opinions on the subject are valid? Does it mean that only people who have suffered racism's opinions on racism are valid? Does it mean that only woman who have experienced domestic abuse can have valid points on the subject? I find it strange that you find my respect and love of advances in technology to help people who are at a disadvantage have more independence and slightly easier lives "hurtful and vacuous". Shall I just hate all of these things and talk about how horrible they are since you find praise of these devices hurtful and vacuous? I am very confused, annoyed and upset.

@Antonym Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 68  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us