Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Aenigma that does make sense... kinda

I've never worn glasses and when I was in high school I was considered to be one of the geeks and bod squad or whatever the hell those morons called us then. They never wore their glasses if they were supposed to because it was uncool. In fact, there was a girl in my textiles class who would squint manically at the board and be totally unable to read it but she just wouldn't put her glasses on. She tried copying my work but couldn't read my handwriting, so all of a sudden everyone was picking on me for my handwriting in the hope I'd conform to thier rules and write like a six year old child... anyway I digress.

Then came St Trinians. (If you've not seen it then there's this bit when a former student is coaching a group of bimbos on how to win a quiz and tells them that wearing glasses makes them look like they're intelligent.)
Then came the big 'emo is cool now' thing. Glasses came with that at my school. Everyone was listening to emo music and ODing on eyeliner ect ect (and yet again, my friends who had been ahead of the trend were now seen as posers and not really cool because anything popular or fashionable couldn't POSSIBLY be liked by people with an IQ bigger then their bra size)

Frankly wearing glasses and pretending you need a wheelchair IS NOT THE SAME THING. Sun glasses? 3D glasses? 3D glasses with the lenses popped out?

Plus, in the nicest possible way my dears, the walking stick has already been a fasion must have. What dapper Victorian gentleman was ever without one? Makes a nice handy place to store your sword as well XP

Hyppocrits are not cool. Fake glasses are optional. Mookychicks are awesomeness incarnate no matter what

xxx

Life Is A Mysteryx Death Is Not= Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

* dances a silly happy dance because clockbox is back in town*

Anyway, despite having been a bespectacled child at school, in addition to being an almost stereotypical nerd and bookworm, I've never encountered anyone in real life who thinks wearing glasses is something negative or ammo for teasing. I can only conclude that I live in a different world than some of you.

And nowadays, I do wear glasses as a fashion accessory. I normally wear lenses, because that is practical, but with certain looks and in certain situations I get out my lovely, blackrimmed, nerdy hipster glasses (generally considered to be SO 2008, which is why I got them very cheap), because I think they make me look great. And if I had the money, I'd buy LOTS of different glasses to go with different outfits (note to self: find some cheap frames that can be steampunkified). If I were rich, I'd be the Imelda Marcos of eyewear.

And if I were that rich, I'd also get that operation to correct my sight. Then I'd change the glass in the frames of my glasses to normal glass. Wearing glasses is cool, and I love it.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

http://a455.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/112/m_98a2a03b941d06b1927a114dcc2e106e.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to put this in, walking sticks are rather awesome ^_^

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings.

He winked at you? [tsk]Musicians.

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
What are you talking about?
You heard me rapping, right?

Regular Crew

Date:

I don't mind, I do wear glasses. The only thing that annoys me is that I can't pick and choose as easily since my lenses are so weird.

I never got bullied for NEEDING glasses, though once I did teased about the size of my first pair of glasses which were massive copper things with lenses that took up most of my face. But I suppose this trend also means that people would be more accepting of glasses, well small children mainly because from the age of 12 and onwards I never heard of trouble about glasses.

Also, some people don't need glasses, but really suit them and I think that's fine. To me it's like wearing a thick coat on a cold summers day, you don't need it, but it looks good.

It does sounds dumb though "I know, new fashion trend! Glasses with no lenses!"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I totally don't get those plastic "sunglasses" that are just bars of plastic. How the hell can you see properly in them? It's like putting your eyes in prison!

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Regular Crew

Date:

They always seem to be neon coloured too. Gah.

This is off subject but boy are glasses expensive. I am not looking forward to when I don't get my NHS anymore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ugh, I cannot stand those barred glasses either. Although most of the people I've seen wearing them have them over their head rather than their eyes so maybe that's how they're supposed to be worn. But that in itself is bit silly too. It's like designing a cardigan that can only be worn tied round your waist!

Date:

If what you are talking about is what I think it is, they are pretty much the same as primitive sunglasses. Such archaeological artefacts tend to look better though. If I had the skill to make one in bone, I'd totally wear it.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I understand were your coming from guys but i hate and will always hate this new fake specs trend.
I agree that wearing glasses and usung a wheelchair have completely different impact on your life, but they are still, in my eyes, disablities and should be used by people who genuinley need them.
I value your opinions and taken them on board.

Trends will come and go, but nerds will inherit the earth!

(sorry about the large font, i pressed a wrong button and couldnt get rid of it)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't think needing glasses is a disability, unless you're MEGABLINDS.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well i dont mean disability in a bad way but i feel it is a form of disability.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Fake, slightly oversized glasses have become a bit of trademark of mine to be honest. When i wear them though its because I think they're a nice accsessory (sp?) and i'm not taking the piss in the slightest. i stopped needing to wear glasses when I was about 11, and since then my face has felt quite lonley

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Dont get me wrong im not getting at anybody here. This is merely me expressing my opinion and letting off steam.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We get that Black Rose honey. Interesting how everyone has an oppinion though.

Incidentally all those stripey sunglasses seem to do is give you a very dodgy tan.

xxx

Life Is A Mysteryx Death Is Not= Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

"Oh hi man with stripy face, I see you like shutter shades. I will avoid you."

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm just saying, I wear glasses, but it doesn't mean I'm disabled in any way. I couldn't claim benefits or not work or put down on a job application that I'm disabled, because I'm not, the same with the majority of people who wear glasses. I'm not being mean, you're entitled to express your opinion, but this is a discussion forum, generally you express your opinion and then people will budge in with their opinions. No ones saying you can't be pissed off about it, just that we mostly don't agree and some of us wear fake specks.

Date:

It makes me a sad panda that you think I have a disability :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

*tickles Irilar to make her a happy panda*

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've never been bullied for wearing glasses. If anything, quite the opposite. I've always found that non-glasses-wearers are fascinated by them, and always want to try them on.
Now I wear contacts, and people are fascinated by those instead. My housemates want to poke them to see what they feel like and ask endless questions about how they feel in my eye. Most strange.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I tend to get annoyed by people, not by what they're wearing.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spiggy I love you

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I look fucking ace in glasses, I always used to try on my friends' glasses! If I needed glasses I would totally wear the massive square emo framed ones, I hope they still suit me when I get to about 40, my mum's just started to need glasses so if genetics do their thing, it might happen...

A note on my experience of plastic barred sunglasses - if you wear them to foam parties they help keep the foam out of your eyes fairly well!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't really have problem with people who wear glasses for vanity reasons, if wearing fakes specs makes you feel good who I'm I to have a problem with it? I do get pissed off about the fact that you can buy fake specs online quite cheaply, I don't have that option! I've got a gorgeous pair of red specs that I can't wear because, the lenses are so thick and heavy they fall straight down my nose :( I can't afford to pay nearly 100 to have the lenses thinned and then put back in.

Also a few people have said needing glasses isn't a disiblity, well it's not. However if I were to lose my glasses or contact lenses I'd be up shit creek because, I literally am blind as a bat, I can't see anything clearly at all and I'm very limited in what I can do. So yeah it's not a disibility but, if a person wearing fake specs was to break them they would be fine cos they can actually see, if I broke my specs I'd be walking into lamposts!

Mookface (mod)

Date:

It's not a disability per se, but people who have to wear glasses do by definition have less effective eyesight than those who don't have to wear glasses, they do have to have their sight artificially improved, so I get where the op is coming from!

Date:

Picklechops wrote:

*tickles Irilar to make her a happy panda*

You have found my weak spot ! biggrin.gif

Maybe it is a language thing that I find it so offensive to be called disabled. I know it was not intended to offend, but it still got to me.

Anyway, I can get about and function in daily life without lenses/glasses - it is just terribly inconvenient, and even though I don't feel it is entirely safe I'm actually allowed to drive a car without my short sighted eyes getting any aids.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think if they have glass in them, it's OK, but those without just look a bit weird o.O Personally, I dread the day I'll have to wear glasses, because I'd hate to be dependent on them :/

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

Regular Crew

Date:

I personally need glasses, and I got a pair that look a bit 'geeky' because it was in style and I figured that if I was going to wear some I might as well get big and obvious ones so it fit in with my style.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad or insulting thing that people would wear fake specs, It's just for 'aesthetic' purposes, just like you'd buy any accessory.
What you're ranting on about is as if you dyed your hair red and a REAL redhead came up to you and got all pissy because it wasn't natural for you to have hair that color, therefore in her opinion you shouldn't have it.

:(

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ You know, I was actually thinking about that the other day. As a natural redhead with pale skin and freckles, should I get annoyed at the people who dye their hair red because they've never had to put up with years of bullying, as well as frying in the sun? To be honest I don't think it's ever really bothered me, but it is the same kind of principle as wearing fake glasses.

Regular Crew

Date:

^
Well I think the most beautiful women are pale with red hair,
it's just so classy and feminine... and if people dye their hair red it should probably simply be taken as a compliment :)
And between you and I, I never understand why-oh-why people make fun of redheads? it's just another hair color? Oh well..

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us