Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: I hate fake specs!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
I hate fake specs!

I absolutely loathe the whole 'wearing giant fake specs because it is now considered cool' trend!

I have been a proud spectacle wearer for 22 years, the bigger the better, when they were considered uncool and all through high school got called geek, swot, nerd and the most original four eyes!
But it is now the very people who tormented me that have now jumped on the very full bandwagon apparently called 'geek chic'. Wotever next!
Glasses are for people with genuine eye problems, not a bunch of ignorant hipocrites!
It makes me wonder what the next trend is going to be? wheelchairs? Walking sticks? hearing aids?
I think i prefered it when glasses were thought of as nerdy and unfashionable.

Well, if wearing glasses is considered the new cool, then dare i say it, im getting contacts.

Glad i got that off my chest. 

Regular Crew

Date:

I wear glasses too, and I must agree I do hate that trend also.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't really care whether people wear real glasses or fake ones. I only need glasses for reading but I sometimes wear them to school because I think they look nice.

I quite like walking sticks.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't hate the trend, but I do find it odd. I wear glasses, or contact lenses, and I don't really like wearing my glasses. In hot weather, they make my nose all sweaty where the grip things are, and the little grips leave red marks, and they cover up all your effort with your eye-make-up.
Why do people want to wear pretend glasses?

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I hate ridiculously large fonts even more.

Fair enough, if the people who bullied you for wearing glasses are now wearing them themselves then you have a right to be pissy at them but it doesn't mean everyone else is a hypocrite or a douchebag. 

Also just because people wear glasses as an accessory doesn't mean they're jumping on a band wagon. Glasses can be pretty so why not decorate your face with them if you like? People have been wearing fake glasses for a long time with out you noticing - it just so happens that this year fake RayBans are in fashion.

In my opinion, it's not worth getting so stressed over.

And here is a picture of me wearing my fake glasses. They go with my Rockabilly style and allow me to change the way I look from day to day. I'm not about to buy a wheelchair because I'm like "omgzz being disabled is cool" - that's really not the mentality behind it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Gosh you really don't like them do you?

I have no problem with them really. Just one of those things I don't quite get but I'm not violently opposed to them either.
Perhaps this trend will help glasses related teasing decline because they're stylish. It could actually end up being positive :D

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have to agree with Tahlia on this one.
While the people tormenting you and then wearing them are hypocrites and not nice people it doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to wear them as an accessory.
I mean lot's of people who don't have glasses think it would be really cool to have them, it's really a 'the grass is always greener on the other side thing'.
I'm meant to wear glasses because I'm a bit short sighted but I haven't worn them in god knows how long because I don't like them so am personally not tempted by the idea of fake glasses, I think they do look cool on some people though and my best friend is really into them and they look good on her.
I mean I've got olive skin and I'd give anything to be pale while I know people who are the opposite so really it's about having fun and changing your appearance a bit. I think it's a fashion statement in the same way, I wear a roseary even though I'm not really a Christian and people have dreads when they're not a rastafarian.

"All smart girls should acknowledge a kindred spirit." - Shirley Manson

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've asked a few people in my school why they wear fake glasses & the most common answer I got was "It makes me look smarter". That made me happy. Finally some people are not trying to dumb themselves down to be cool. I know this isn't the case for everone, I have encountered some who have given the slightly more shallow reasons of "it's trendy" and it's "the latest fashion" but fashion comes & goes so I personally don't think it's something worth precious time & energy being upset about as long as it's not offensive. =)
Afterall, there's nothing wrong with people wearing something that makes themselves feel a little more confident, and for some people, that means whatever's "hip".

Most of my family have to wear glasses, I am one of six people in my rather large family that doesn't need to wear them, but when I acompany them to the opticians for an eye test I like to try on the glasses (come on everyone does, don't deny it ;] ) and everyone says I suit the full-rimmed rectangular ones with bright colours and/or flamboyant designs which, as everyone does when they get a compliment, makes me smile so I don't see the harm in wearing them as a fashion statement as long as they aren't offensive. Pretty much everything is "fashionable" nowadays, one of my friends who likes to label herself as 'Indie', wears rosary beads even though she's an atheist, at first I thought it was a bit offensive but she explained that they were a gift from a relative at her first communion (she was born into a christian family) who was terminally ill and wanted to make her happy before she died and then she discovered that she enjoyed wearing them, well I know it's quite a different situation, but you can never know everyone's true reasons for wearing something and you could be surprised by people.

And hey, at least the idiots won't be making fun of you for a while, just see it as a well-deserved break. ^_^  Then when fake glasses go out of fashion and they start insulting you again -but I hope they don't- you can always bring up the fact that they too liked wearing glasses and are secret 'geeks' at heart ;)

-- Edited by Punk Rock Princess on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 05:21:25 PM

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

He winked at you?  [tsk] Musicians. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
What are you talking about? 
You heard me rapping, right? 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Do you think this goes with my eyes?

Hehe. ^_^ Just messing.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MUHAHHAHAH!
temp.jpg
I joke, I joke. Although to be technical, I don't really apply since I actually wear reading glasses. I'll just second what everyone else here has said. And let's be honest- needing glasses is NOTHING LIKE needing a wheel chair. That's like saying having a headache is like having a brain tumour. If you don't like the glasses trend, fine, but it's really not all that bad really :)

-- Edited by Lady Misery on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 05:41:40 PM

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I get what you mean. I had to wear glasses permanently for about a year or so before I got my contacts, and on my first day of wearing them to sixth form I was really looking forward to showing them off to everyone, only for one of my friends to have come in wearing those decoration glasses that he'd never worn before. I felt like my thunder had been stolen :(

I got so sick of my glasses after a while though. I hated how they'd steam up when I using straighteners (and get in the way of them), how they'd get covered in droplets when it was raining and how whenever it was sunny I had to take them off to put my sunglasses on and everything was blurry. So yeah, I can totally understand feeling resentment towards people who choose to wear decoration glasses, as they can just take them off if they get in the way without worrying about having bad eyesight. Obviously people can wear whatever the hell they like but that's just a personal gripe I have with them. Although I do agree with Ruby that at least they may help get rid of the negative stigma attached to wearing glasses.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I got bullied for needing glasses by people how now wear those thick-rimmed fakies (I still get called four-eyes while they're wearing them!). I'd like to have okay eyesight, because glasses are expensive and hassley.

Something that particularly annoys me is that I know of a few people getting glasses on the NHS and then replacing the lenses with plain glass! That's a real gripe of mine.

It's kind of annoying, but I don't really think about it that much.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Honoured Mook

Date:

People do that? Wtf? Surely if the NHS have given you glasses however week they are they should help or do they pretend that they can't read the eye tests or what?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I wear glasses all the time by choice. I mean, I need them, but I could have contacts instead, it's just that I prefer glasses. It's essential to how I view my face: I look so strange without glasses. Some people would say the same thing about their tattoos or piercings. Those aren't necessary, they're fashion. So if people want to adorn themselves with fake glasses, I really don't have a problem with it.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I DO think that the idea is strange. But I don't hate it. I wear glasses, and I have been teased, but to be honest, if it wasn't my glasses, it would have been my teeth or my eyebrows or something else.

Massive eyebrows were in at some point too, and "british teeth" have been too. Shit happens, shit passes, people wear shit on their faces, people take shit off of their faces.

My only problem with glasses is that I don't think it is fair that those of us with myopia or long-sightedness have to PAY for the privilege of good sight. But that is unrelated really.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Fake glasses? I don't mind. Glasses with no lenses in them? I see as bit pointless but I wouldn't let it really ruin my life. I wear glasses, I like them. A few of my friends wear fakies, I don't really care...

Maybe I need to get me a wheelchair...

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Regular Crew

Date:

here, here.. teased, tormented..and now its a fashion item to them i also hate those fake stretchers

Honoured Mook

Date:

It's only a fickle trend, so I wouldnt worry about them being around in 10 years =]

I am a traveller of both time and space.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I dunno, I had a pair of fake glasses from topshop in primary school, and that was like 15 odd years ago. It's nothing new, it's just become more popular, especially since the emo/scene style started becoming popular.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Why do people think that short sightedness (or indeed longsightedness) correlate with intelligence?

Honoured Mook

Date:

You know I have no idea how that came about, it's strange isn't it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd have thought it was:

Child reads a lot = eyestrain = eyestrain confused with astigmatism = child given glasses = because child reads a lot child tends to develop faster/know more = child has reputation for being intelligent.

That make sense to anyone else?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Godammit! You got there first, I was literally just going to post that. Less eloquently obvs.

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Tahlia-those glasses look great on you. :)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

If I were dating a boy with a glasses fetish, and I didn't need glasses, would fake ones be acceptable?

I've been wanting to ask for friend awhile, but by itself, it didn't seem threadworthy.

-- Edited by AirportMonkey on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 11:43:00 PM

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

It depends where you were wearing them...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Aenigma wrote:

I'd have thought it was:

Child reads a lot = eyestrain = eyestrain confused with astigmatism = child given glasses = because child reads a lot child tends to develop faster/know more = child has reputation for being intelligent.

^This assumption has got me through many arguments with people who don't wear specs. "Look, you must be wrong, because, y'know, myopia is a sign of intelligence and there's only one of us with that in this debate. Let me just put on my glasses and see which one of us that is.."

-- Edited by clockbox on Wednesday 21st of July 2010 12:39:16 AM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

clockbox wrote:

Aenigma wrote:

I'd have thought it was:

^This assumption has got me through many arguments with people who don't wear specs. "Look, you must be wrong, because, y'know, myopia is a sign of intelligence and there's only one of us with that in this debate. Let me just put on my glasses and see which one of us that is.."

-- Edited by clockbox on Wednesday 21st of July 2010 12:39:16 AM

Had to quote this for its sheer awesomeness ^_^

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I really don't see why people have such a problem with people who wear fake specs to be quite honest.

I know a lot of people who have to wear glasses, my brother for example, who absolutely loathed the idea of wearing glasses when it was first presented to them - but seeing people who don't need to wear glasses want to wear glasses was really encouraging for them and made them see it's not all that bad.

In fact, my own eyesight is deterorating and I will probably need glasses sooner or later and I wasn't too keen on the idea until I thought 'hey, if people wear fake specs then they can't be all that bad'.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

I quite dislike this trend, sorry.
I've been stuck in the most hideous free NHS glasses since I was three (when choosing my own style didn't really work very well. Now I'm 19 I have to pay an extortionate amount for a decent style and I'd rather not have that expense added onto everything else. I'd rather have that money to buy necklaces or other accessories which compliment my appearance, unlike my spectagoggles.
I actually don't understand why people do spend money to buy fake ones. Have my odd shaped eye and birthmark and stigmatism, go on.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)
1 2 38  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us