Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: New Troll Guidelines

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:
New Troll Guidelines

Hello to all the mooks who've taken the time to read this (which we mods thank you very much for). It seems lately we've had a few instances of trolling/troll accusations being flung about that have begun to cast a bit of a nasty light on the forum as a whole to incoming members. So we here on the forums are hoping to establish some new guidelines that will not only help the process of identifying and dealing with a troll easier, but will help us all look much nicer as a group rather than a pack hunting for fresh blood.

So without further ado, please read the following guidelines which we hope will become standard for dealing with suspected trolls:

1. All parties are innocent until proven guilty--This is a no-brainer. Even if a new user may seem like a troll, please remember that they may just be a newbie who has never posted in a forum before. Not everyone gets a smooth start here. Suspicious activity (recent example, a person above a certain age still sharing a computer with their parent) does not automatically make someone a troll. The better we remember this, the less need for reminders about the guidelines to follow there will be.

2. Politeness wins many kinds of things--The urge to be sarcastic with someone who is disrupting the flow of the forum one way or another is understandable, but hardly admirable. The same goes with people making posts that speculate upon a person's likelihood of being a troll. All these actions do is create hurt feelings, and scare off new users who legitimately wanted to be a part of the group. Besides, doing so only feeds a real troll more fuel to work with. In short, you're only exacerbating matters and making things harder to deal with for us mods. This can all be avoided.

3. PM one or all of the mods if you suspect someone of being a troll--It's quick. It's quiet. It's clean. There's no reason not to do it. The mods exist to do their best to quickly turn the hose on a fiery situation. Thus, it's in their interest and yours to tell them about it post haste, rather than try to deal with it yourself. If you want to be helpful to a new user who might not be a troll, you can always post a link to Candi's wonderful forum newbie post to get them started properly, but if anything else should make you worry, report it so we can take care of it. There's no need to be a vigilante.

4. Keep your head--Partly to do with making sarcastic remarks, it also does not help anything to reply to anything a troll does scathingly. All you accomplish is fueling their energies further. JUST DON'T FEED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! Once someone has linked them to Candi's newbie thread, there's no need to communicate with them further until the situation is resolved either on its own or by a mod. Ignoring really is the best thing to do. It can take a while sometimes, but it does actually work wonders in getting rid of them.

5. If you preach being open-minded and accepting, practice it even with unsavory posts--This may seem a bit like beating a dead horse at this point, but it says a lot about you as a person when you decide you will include or exclude another based on a single post that contains, for instance, far less than perfect grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Some people just don't make sure that their posts are literate to those not used to seeing their particular style of typing. It does not automatically make them a troll. If their typing makes it hard for you to understand what they're saying, ask nicely if they could improve it. If they refuse, ignore them. No one said you had to put in the extra effort to read their posts if they won't put in the effort to make them legible. Making continued remarks on how horrible they are for not adhering to the rules of the English language solves nothing.

Obviously these guidelines are subject to change and suggestion as we carry on with and begin to implement them. We hope that you can see the wisdom in them, and will try your best to make them a new standard so we can keep our little forum plugging along happily.

If you have any criticism about how these could be better, or any helpful ideas of your own that you believe should be added, feel free to comment.

-- Edited by Izil on Thursday 1st of July 2010 01:07:29 AM

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

*applause*

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Excellent thread Izil. I love it. Should we close it? I don't really think there is a lot to comment on, and it may lose its impact, if it digresses. Up to you though!! :)

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Very well written :)

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

candiclaus wrote:

Excellent thread Izil. I love it. Should we close it? I don't really think there is a lot to comment on, and it may lose its impact, if it digresses. Up to you though!! :)

I'm okay with it staying open as long as it stays constructive. If it ever seems otherwise, it can be closed.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

I like these they're good.

"All smart girls should acknowledge a kindred spirit." - Shirley Manson

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Izil, these are great! ^_^

Oh and in case anyone forgets.

-- Edited by ChynaRoze on Monday 29th of November 2010 05:17:03 AM

Honoured Mook

Date:

These are fantastic guidelines. *Applauds*

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Great guidelines! I've always felt that the key principle of Mooky is kindness, and these very much reflect that :)

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Jolly good work Izil. Have some cake.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a question:
Say there is a user who is not a full blown trouble making troll and not a troll who only posts posts that directly link or advertise a company.
However they link to a major company in their sig and their profile is bedecked with links for the same company. On top of this their posts almost make sense but do not really contribute to the discussion. For example,

"I also completely agree with you.Although there maybe some ones who opposed,I do stand on my opinion."

What's the protocol here? I'm guessing message a mod etc etc because they're clearly advertising spammers, just ever so slightly less obvious ones but I thought I'd double check.
:)

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Baby Mook

Date:

Hiya can you pasteme a link for the forum guidelines please, i can't find them. I think one of your MODS told me to have a look

Honoured Mook

Date:

They're in Dave's sig, although I can't remember his username :/ If you go into this section, it'll be there. I also don't know if in-forum links work yet :/

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dave is skgogosfan.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Honoured Mook

Date:

sweetgirl22 wrote:

Hiya can you pasteme a link for the forum guidelines please, i can't find them. I think one of your MODS told me to have a look

I'm flattered, but I'm no mod. ;D

Here's a link to forum guidelines.

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Tsk tsk Panda,don't you know who I am? :P (j/k)

Actually,hope the link in my sig still works to the forum GL...the board software's updates seems to have changed link formats...

Edit-yep,still works,Casey beat me to it though. :)

Dave.

-- Edited by skgogosfan on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 05:28:36 PM

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ It does, that's how I put a link my my prior post in this thread... I couldn't be arsed to actually go find the thread myself. :3

Edit: Bahaha. >:D

-- Edited by Spry Lady Murk on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 05:30:53 PM

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

It's also linked in the first post in this thread.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)
Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us