Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

^I hate the Claire's solution. It always seemed like water with a bit of something in it, but I used it anyway... again and again and again, funnily enough. :P

Er, in response to Tardis's post, I've heard of doctors doing piercings. It's not something that's particularly endorsed, and many doctors won't, but it's been done. Hell, I think I've read things on the internet recommending a doctor doing a baby's ear piercings. You know, because administering immunizations and drawing blood are so similar to piercing ears.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You're right in not using anything alcohol based, it's so bad for any piercing. Alcohol will destroy new cells which is what the piercing needs to successully heal.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Ah...I learned about the problems of alcohol + piercings the hard way...

...every time I had my ears pierced, I used salt solution to clean them, and I did the same with my navel piercing until it became infected (incident at school involving being hit on the fresh piercing with a rounders bat disturbed it a bit, and then it got cross!), at which point I was told to use Provon. I did, and it cleared up within a matter of a few days...

...but when I had my lip pierced, the piercist told me to use mouthwash to make sure that my mouth stayed nice and sparkly clean, but he didn't specify that it should be alcohol free. This being the case, I used the one that I always use - Listerine. The piercing swelled up so badly that the stud was pressing into my lip!

My step-mum went to ask the piercist about this on her lunch break from work, as I was at art college at the time and she worked close to the clinic, and he said that it sounded like I needed a longer stud. It was actually a (rather heavily pierced) lady on my course who told me to switch to Dentyl because the alcohol in Listerine was likely to be the problem. I did, and it healed in no time.

I didn't go back to that piercist. It didn't strike me as a great idea to be pierced by someone who didn't know enough about aftercare to realise that he should have told me that.

xxx Eve

Regular Crew

Date:

well I've had all my (4) ear-lobe piercings done by gun and I've thankfully had no problems except a tiny amount of infection the first three days.. on the other hand they were *very* strict with the hygiene (wearing disposable gloves, cleaning the area, cleaning the gun, fresh needles each time etc.), because here in Denmark where I live, we have really strict regulations about such things (luckily). However, if I decide to get a cartilage piercing at some point it will be by needle.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

They don't use needles in the gun, it pierces you with an earring. And they're not that clean, I've already mentioned how parts of a gun can't go into an autoclave so therefor are not properly sterile. Wow, I love how many people have commented on this without actually reading it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I swear tardis' ear piercing story is very akin to what happened in The Parent Trap, with the apple and all.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was just lecturing a friend in a pub about piercing guns last night. She has no piercings but was considering getting her lobes done at Claire's. I instantly started raving and now I'm taking her to a more reputable place that will pierce both lobes for a fiver with a needle (that's sooooo much cheaper than Claire's and all!)
And that was yesterday's good deed of the day :P

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

Lush Guru

Date:

Urgh, everytime I walk by Claire's I tut and shake my head. And to think they wanted to employ me...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I once had my ears pierced with a potato. No needles, no guns. Just a potato. The only decent thing that happened is now if I get too hot I get French fries coming out of my ear. Because I got the potato from France.

Of course, you CAN use apples but then you don't get the fries.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Do you get those dried apple rings instead?

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Alka wrote:

Urgh, everytime I walk by Claire's I tut and shake my head. And to think they wanted to employ me...

*Covers ears* I had mine done there when I was four, and they've always held up okay. But from what I've been hearing here I feel like I got quite a lucky escape! Although to be fair, Claire's is probably the least dodgy place in my town for piercings. That doesn't make us sound very good, actually...

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eveacus wrote:

Do you get those dried apple rings instead?

xxx Eve

You do, but it takes forever and you can't shower because then the apple doesn't dry.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Regular Crew

Date:

I'm going to get another piercing on my ears soon, and I really want to try a needle, but I'm afraid it will hurt more than the gun. I have 2 holes on each ear, both from the last 5 years and with guns, which gave me no trouble. Neither hurt at all or were infected, and healed pretty quickly. However, the place was kind of sketchy, and now that I have more cash I want to get my 3rd hole done properly. I also want to get used to the needles for when I get body piercings, but I'm a little scared.

Does it hurt more than the gun? The first two weren't painful at all... They actually felt pretty good lol.

TZ'11

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I guess needles in the ears hurt slightly more but only because the process takes slightly longer. Plus I had a fair bit of bleeding with my ones by needle than my gunned ones but that's because the needle is hollow and actually takes a little bit of flesh out for the jewelry to fit comfortably into.
But from my experience, my needle holes heeled WAY faster and with little to no irritation or infection and thats even with very little aftercare on my part (not that I'm advising that!) Oh yeah, and ask for titanium jewelry. For lobes you're usually allowed a BCR or a labret bar. I prefer a BCR for cleaning but they're easier to catch on things.

NEEDLES FTW!

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

Lush Guru

Date:

Actually needle piercings are usually quicker and while they might hurt more for a split second it's just that, whereas gun piercings hurt for fucking ages.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I agree with Alka. The piercing needles used are extremely sharp and go clean through the tissue, whereas the small earrings used in guns to pierce your ears are not that sharp. They are actually very blunt in comparison to piercing needles. There is much more force needed to push one of those earrings through your ear, hence why they're done with a (crappy) piece of machinery and not by hand- it wouldn't be possible to pierce ears using those earrings by hand without exerting huge amounts of pressure.

The more pressure exerted on the tissue, the more trauma caused to the tissue, the longer it takes to heal, the bigger the risk of potential complications there is, the larger amount of scar tissue there is from the trauma and displaced tissue etc.......... Go with the needle. It's much better.

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Regular Crew

Date:

Thanks everyone :)

The needle sounds like it's pay off. And what benefits does the titanium have?

TZ'11

Regular Crew

Date:

I didn't have any trouble with my piercings. I just have one in each ear, and they were done with a gun. Not a Claire's, though. I don't remember where it was, but it was very brightly lit and everything looked yellow. I do believe they used the same earrings as Claire's, though. My ears only started bothering me starting a while back. I think I am alergic to whatever is mixed with the silver inmy stud earrings, so I just wear dangle earrings now. I make those myself, so I check the kind of metal I am using.

Honestly, even a stud gun sounds safer that what I saw at my sleep-away camp. The night before the campers came, all of the camp councelors were staying up super late. One decided to pierce her cartiilage. Everyone searched through their things for a sharp earring, and they put hand sanitizer over it. Then one of the girls put the earring through the other's ear. Keep in mind that this is a summer camp cabin, where nothing is ever cleaned and dirt manages to get everywhere. I don't really trust the cabin's water either, so I'd be worried about showering with the piercing.hmm

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

tabathazee wrote:

Thanks everyone :)

The needle sounds like it's pay off. And what benefits does the titanium have?

Titanium is a metal with relatively low reactivity, meaning it will not rust :) it's potential to cause reactions/trouble in healing piecings is also minimal because of this.

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I didn't think even non titanium earrings rusted? It's because they have no nickel in them at all and a lot of people have allergic reactions to nickel.

Regular Crew

Date:

I've never had any of my earrings rust whether they were titanium or not. I was also under the impression that the reason titanium is commonly used is because it is completely nickel free and unlikely to cause a reaction/rejection. I have a nickel allergy and all my piercings have either sterling silver or titanium in them.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

No earring should rust... rust is a form of iron (III) oxide...there has to be iron present for rust to form...but I think I get what you mean. Do you mean when the earrings start to discolour? If so, I think that's usually the sign of a plating becoming tarnished, or permeated by the layer of metal that's underneath it, or perhaps wearing away.

...Still, titanium is pretty biocompatible for a metal (I think it's actually the most biocompatible metal? I could be wrong...but I mean, high grade titanium is what's used for surgical pins, joint replacements...etc.) so you're unlikely to have a bad reaction to it. The other fun thing about titanium is that it's lighter than a lot of metals, so it's good for big jewellery :).

xxx Eve

Honoured Mook

Date:

MollyMorphine: "Hell, I think I've read things on the internet recommending a doctor doing a baby's ear piercings. You know, because administering immunizations and drawing blood are so similar to piercing ears." Yes having a Dr pierce a babies ears makes it better! I hate seeing babies with pierced ears and I feel it's a form of abuse. Anyway back on topic. The guns are awful and if getting a piercing (or tattoo, branding, scarification) research your studio well. Talk to people who have been there and if you hear one horror story ask when the work was done, who by ect ect as studios can turn themselves around.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've just come across this here petition to ban the use of piercing guns in the uk, and thought of this thread.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

SIGNED!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Signed.

Yesterday there were two Claire's employees hanging around outside the shop asking people if they wanted to get their ears pierced. Because that's a decision you really want to make at random on a day out, isn't it? Just when I was about to open my mouth, one of the girls she'd asked said 'yeah, but not here. Are you crazy?' Fun stuff.

Life Is A Mysteryx Death Is Not= Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Nice. I leave the shop if someone is getting a piercing. I'm not brave enough to say "do you realise how shit this process really is" but I did say to a girl in my class who's mum trained to use the gun. She tried to tell me how clean and quick using a gun is...I ranted about autoclaving and blunt trauma.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Has anyone written an article for mooky about this yet? I feel like it'd be a good idea for someone to, though I can't say that I know enough to write it myself, unfortunately.

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned, but in Japan they sell single use 'safety' piercing guns for a variety of different piercings. I don't know if they've even got an age restriction on those things. I can't quite remember, it's a while since I read about it, but I'm pretty sure they cost the equivelant of about 10-15 each.. Oh joy.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Good idea Eisbaer, that would be a great contribution to make to mooky. There seems to be a good few guides on mooky already but none go properly into the dangers of the gun. I may do it or a similar article titled "Smart piercing" or something... I'll see!

I've seen single use piercing guns before myself. Actually my ex went to get his ear pierced three times and they used a separate little gun for each piercing... very odd. They look like those little things that you pull staplers out with! :P

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Just signed that petition. I have had my lobes done twice in Claire's with a gun (I was yet to read this thread) Once aged 7, once aged 16. One of them is wonky and both times at least one side became infected. :/ Had my navel done with a needle when I was 16 and that has been fine ever since. Just today had my tragus done with a needle and can't imagine why you'd have it done with a gun?

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us