Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

Honoured Mook

Date:
Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

Fuck never knew they were that bad, if I get my ears repierced I'll get it done with a needle most probably. Because last time I got keloid scarring on my ears. D'you think that using a needle reduces the chance of keloid scarring?
Thanks for the info (:

-- Edited by MissWorld on Monday 12th of July 2010 02:12:09 PM

"All smart girls should acknowledge a kindred spirit." - Shirley Manson

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it will do x

Regular Crew

Date:

oiz, I have 7 ear piercings, 5 of which were done with guns between years and years ago.

EVERY gun piercing, (4 lobe and 1 upper cartilage each performed at different locations) got infected for at least a little while. the cartilage piercing in particular was always infected on and off for about 2 years.

my latest 2 lobe piercings i let a friend do with a sewing needle sterilized over a flame and rubbing alcohol. as sketchy as it sounds i haven't had any problem with them. (though one did bleed quite a lot during the possess.. i think she hit something)

Don't do anything at all

Regular Crew

Date:

I had my first set of earlobe piercings done when I was 10 with a gun.
One was done at a slight angle and ended up tearing.
I abandoned the piercings a years later, partly due to what I now realise is a nickel allergy to the jewelry, I was permenatly left with a long hole in one of my lobes. I ended up getting it opened up by a proper piercer. Its now streched a little to get it a better looking shape.

I suspect that those intial piercings are one of the main causes of my allergy to nickel due to the poor quality of the jewelry used.

Honoured Mook

Date:

OMG yes to this thread!
Got ears with a gun. :( Painful and was only 4

But I got my nose done with a gun (BIGGEST MISTAKE)
it was at this well known place in my town, and when i had it done. It kept falling out every night and closing up in minutes! So annoyingly painful outting it back in. In the end, i kept it out and left it out. (the piercing was only 6 anyway) So next time this summer im getting with a needle.

But a few people i know have got it done with the gun at the same place and it repeatedly kept falling out. Even my sister!

Needles are so much better. Got my tongue done with it, never been happier.

I look forwardd to nose and vertical labret :)

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The reason it will have kept falling out is because of the type of jewellery they use for it, they're the same as the earrings they sue for the guns as well. They're quite wide bars, and they're straight. In a nose piercing you need a stud that's bent to stop it falling out. Saying that I have 2 normal earring studs in my left nostril, and they don't fall out at all. Maybe it depends on the person.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

mikimetchi wrote:

My mum got her helix pierced with a gun a few years ago and it rejected, so she took it out. She got it done again this year in April, but I insisted she go to a proper piercing place, where they used a needle. She didn't even realise that needles existed. Her piercing is now all fine and dandy and non-rejecty!

yeah its the same with my dads he has had it done twice but the one dont with a gun was rejected and the one with a needle is fine :)

Florian xxx

Dont you ever,Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome.

He/they pronouns pls

Regular Crew

Date:

I had the same problem as Star Bee with getting my ears done with a gun a few years ago; one of them was done at an angle. It's been about three years now and it still hasnt healed properly! If I take my earrings out for even a few hours, it takes me forever and is pretty painful for me to get them back in

A friend of mine got her nose done with a gun and it was fine for a few days, then she was drying her face with a towel and it got yanked out >.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Numbers 3 and 5 happened to me, at the age of seven. It was quite the fad to get your ears done, and the first time through, the earring got stuck in my ear. D: Hurt like a motherfucker, the "piercer" used her (bare) hands to get it out and try again. Two months later, they're infected and very nearly embedded into my lobes.

Got them redone at the same place a year later, and those went well. And last September, got my second set of lobes... at the same place.

I think they use guns because it's cheaper and easier than hiring an actual legitimate piercer. Shame. :(

(*They being Claire's)

-- Edited by MollyMorphine on Monday 9th of August 2010 10:40:26 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MollyMorphine wrote:

I think they use guns because it's cheaper and easier than hiring an actual legitimate piercer. Shame. :(

(*They being Claire's)

-- Edited by MollyMorphine on Monday 9th of August 2010 10:40:26 PM

I fucking hate Claire's site where they "brag" about never using needles to do piercing like it's a good thing.

"We NEVER use needles".

Yes, and that's why you're shit.

Claire's piercing site

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 08:52:24 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Haha I like the way they're bragging about that, like it's a good thing!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I think that they brag about it because of the amount of younger kids who go there. Younger kids might be more afraid of needles, and the gun is seen by many mothers as an easy way to get your kid's ear pierced.

The practice on teddy bears, I've seen them. The bears, I mean, and the cashier who did my second ones told me that that's how they learn.

I swear on everything holy that when my minis want to get their ears pierced, I'll take them to an actual piercer.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah Selene will deffo go to a proper piecer, but hopefully I'll be trained by then and be able to do it for her myself.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know my mum was very reluctant to go to an actual piercer, she took me to claire's to get my ears done, and wanted to find a similar place for my scaffold, I think its's because they're a well known chain store so she assumes everything must be sterile and correct or they'd have a lot of complaints.

Etsy10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Regular Crew

Date:

All of the piercings that I've had done with a gun [a grand total of 3] I've had to have re-done. My ears were okay-ish but one got infected so I took them out but I could not for the life of me get the studs back in. They were also a lot more hassle to look after because you had to twist the studs everyday which when you're 8 is a bit scary.

Last year I had the top of my ear done, the guy marked where I pointed, I didn't like it so I said I wanted it higher up. He didn't bother re-marking it, he just punched the hole miles away from the cartilage, it was literally right in the middle of my ear. It looked so stupid I took it out 2 days later. To get both redone cost about 20 each but meh, I'm worth it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

By the way you're not supposed to turn the jewellery in new piercings like at all. It really aggravates them and could push the crusties and god knows what else into it and make the healing time longer. Also the biggest factor is you'll be damaging the new skin formed which is part of healing. So not good.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have heard this same thing said tons of times, but I prefer to get my ears done with the gun.
We have no reliable, clean piercing shops around here. If I felt like driving 2 hours, then sure, I'd do it.

The place I got my ears done used disposable guns; After they pierced your ears, the guns where tossed. They didn't use them on anything else but ears, and I didn't have to worry about them using the same needle they did for tattooing.

Under any circumstance I'd go with needles just from the horror stories.
Unfortunately, the horror stories with needles here are worse. x_x

Regular Crew

Date:

I had all but one of my piercings with a gun (of course, Claire's), but they are all in my ears. Upper cartilage was pierced professionally. But of my three gun-pierced holes, only the top still gives me issues. The second ones got infected once, but I was able to save them. Apparently, the cartilage in my lobes extends down far enough to have been nicked by the gun with the third piercing. The amount of trouble I have had with those since I got them... regularly using neosporin to get the earring to even go in. Feels like I have to repierce every time I put an earring in. Have had to push through more than a few times. Wondering if I should just let it close up and get it professionally repierced with a needle.

DeviantART

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I had both my ears done at the same time at clares (as in, they used two guns). The process itself caused me no problems. Their clever money saving idea of using nickle backs on gold earings did. I'm fairly sure the backs where gold plated (I mean, there MUST be a limit to stupidity), but after that long in my ears it wore off.

I had to take them out early and change them for silver ones because the exma on the inside of my ear got infected.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

goth_girl wrote:

By the way you're not supposed to turn the jewellery in new piercings like at all. It really aggravates them and could push the crusties and god knows what else into it and make the healing time longer. Also the biggest factor is you'll be damaging the new skin formed which is part of healing. So not good.

Yet when I got my ears done at Claire's this is exactly what they told me I should do, shows how much they know.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Anti-Feminist Behaviour?

"They didn't use them on anything else but ears, and I didn't have to worry about them using the same needle they did for tattooing."

That's ridiculous, no piercer would wipe down a tattoo needle after it's been used and then shove it through someone. Also they would never order sterile tattoo needles instead of piercing ones, they are different shapes (Tattoo needles are tiny compared to the usual 1.6mm size of a piercing needle) and do different functions. Even the shit piercers don't do that. Where did you get that from?

Disposable gun or not I rather my piercings without blunt force trauma and a two hour drive seems worth it to me personally.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

My ear's f'ed up again, to the point where I have to put a bandaid on it. It's like, dry skin forms around the hole but not in the hole itself, and when I try to get it off, it bleeds. This's happened before, on the other ear. I've cleaned it using antibacterial soap and changed the bandaids every time. It's weird, like it's only the skin around the hole.

Not fun. :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I get dry skin around my ear piercings as well - more so on my tunnels.

I just take the jewellery out, clean them, moisturise then put them back in.

Lush Guru

Date:

Could you be allergic to the band aids/plasters? I would stop using any kind of soap on it personally, plain water, salt soaks and maybe some Savlon at a push.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I got my ear lobes done with a gun at my local jewelers. Never had any problems, healed up quicker than expected, and only due to the fact that I stopped putting earrings in them did they close up. Only for a fiver o.o

But the actual piercing was painful, and apparantly needles are more painful. So I'm not going to get any more done, nor am I going to re do these ones :P

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I don't see how needles would be much more painful, it's essentially the same pain but marginally slower, I personally think that the pain being a tad prolonged is worth the benefits.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't think that the pain is prolonged by using a needle at all. Infact it's quicker than using the gun, and there are far more benefits so that's why i stick to going to prefessionals that haven't previously just practised on a teddy bear. It is also less painful getting pierced with a needle. Sheesh I wrote this so people could understand why they were bad. Oh and Mollymorphine I'd stop using antibacterial soap on it, it's probably drying it out even more.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I found this online if anyone was wondering about how their piercing is healing etc:
http://bodypoetry.co.uk/heal.htm

Regular Crew

Date:

I had 10 piercings in my ears done with a gun (I got them all between the ages of 7-16, I know better now). I eventually ended up taking the last pair out because it was right on the cartilage and wouldn't heal properly. Since then, I've had my nose, helix, and industrial done with needles, and they're healing much better than the lobes ever did.

Also, I don't think needles hurt more, I actually think they hurt less than a gun and the swelling went down quicker.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Er. I'm not letting them use a gun on my next piercing, assuming I get one.

I got mine done at walmart (I have 2 an ear, both on earlobe) done with a gun.
I watched them do it, the guns are disposable and the girl wore gloves, so that's not the issue.
But it punches it right through, and I have mild nickle reactions every single time.

Don't get 16-18ct gold. Or silver, for that matter. It WILL have nickle in it, regardless of what it says.
Stainless steel ftw

@goth_girl, on the link you posted, is the healing time "Your mileage may vary"? Because I had trouble with it trying to close up until about a year after the piercing for my second ones (I got those at 14, I think). I'm sure the gold studs for the first 6mo didn't help anything - also , ew gold - but i noticed the article said 6 months total healing time.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us