Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Why guns are not to be used to do any body piercings, including ears

Hello peoples. I can't count the amount of times I have been asked over the last two years why guns should never be used instead of the proper needles and equipment that professional body piercers use.

1) There is some parts on the gun (not entirely sure which bit) that cannot be removed properly and sterilized. This means an increased risk of infection and also catching something from someone else, as small amounts of blood can be sprayed while doing the piercing. Yuck.

2) A proper piercing needle is hollow and very sharp. This means when they use the needle the piece of skin is cut out perfectly, and also doesn't put pressure elsewhere around the piercing so that it doesn't get damaged as much. Using a gun pushes a blunt piece of metal through the skin, causing unnecessary damage to the skin around it, increasing healing time.

3) There is only one size jewellery that will fit a piercing gun. Everybodies ears, nose etc is a different width etc so if the stud fits one person fine, it may be too long, or more often the case, too short. This will be made a hell of a lot worse when the piercing swells (which they all do for a bit afterwards) and the jewellery can become embedded into your skin, and take it from me, no fun getting out.

4) The butterfly bit on the back of the generic studs they use can actually inhibit the healing process and increase the risk of infection by compressing the tissue, limiting circulation, trapping secretions and bacteria.

5) Sometimes the stud fails to fully penetrate the tissue on the first try, leaving the device stuck to your ear or wherever. This will require the person doing it to handle the tissue, and many of them don't even wear gloves (ewww!)

6) Most people who use guns to pierce have had one or two days of training and then they are legal to piercer the general public (wtf?!) but a professional piercer have usually had a minimum of a few years experience at least. They are very knowledgable in what way to pierce something, jewellery etc. It is always better to go the a professional and get it done right first time, even if you have to pay more.

-- Edited by goth_girl on Friday 25th of June 2010 07:55:46 PM

-- Edited by goth_girl on Saturday 26th of June 2010 08:17:38 AM

Honoured Mook

Date:

When I got my ears pierced, they used this thing that looked like a giant stapler- is that a gun?

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings.

He winked at you? [tsk]Musicians.

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
What are you talking about?
You heard me rapping, right?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah that's it. They originally used these to tag cows. Nice...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yay! Good thread Goth Girl. :)
Can I make excuses for my ears by saying I was a piercing virgin and it was the only place I knew about? I'd probably have a bit of a rant any piercer that attempts to come near me with a piercing gun now.

Mooks, if you go and get a piercing and they whip out a piercing gun tell them that you shall take your custom elsewhere because no self-respecting piercer would use a gun and if they don't understand why they should find a new job or at least re-train.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Firstly thanks for posting this.

Secondly I knew professional were bound to have more knowledge then people that work in more commercial places (claire's accessories etc.), but I didn't realise how unhygenic such methods can be.

And lastly a story. When I was about 8 I got my ears pierced at a chain store, and had no problems, until it came to removing the jewellry, I ended up with both the front of the earring and the back (the big butterfly ones they use on initial piercings) inside my ear, I had to go to A&E to get them removed, it hurt like a bitch, and it was a very traumatic experience for an 8 years old. So I know exactly what you mean about them becoming embedded.

EDIT: My mum got her ears pierced with a needle (in the days before guns) but they numbed it with ice first and pushed the needle through slowly; which I personally think sounds horrifying; when I got my scaffold done she was shocked that they weren't going to numb it in any way. However, the piercer quickly asured her that in the long run it was better that way. Hurray for proffesional knowledge.

-- Edited by Inky on Friday 25th of June 2010 08:09:44 PM

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

lol yeah you can. I have my ears pierced with a gun, but to be fair I was only 7, and 11 when I got my nose pierced with one. It's only been the last few years that I realized how bad they are. I've heard of people getting their nipples done with them!!! All I have to say is owwwwwww

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ouch! I can't imagine getting anything other than ears with a gun! I had my ears done when I was 12, and just automatically assumed all places used guns (I also went to Claires as I couldn't think of anywhere else to go for piercings then!)

Good thread, GG, when I get my industrial (not sure when!) I shall definitely have it done properly with a sterilized needle at a proper place!

Facebook: Personal| Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh my God, people actually use them for other things apart from lobes? I thought they were for ears only.

Why were they made? Is it so almost anyone can pierce ears? It's not exactly hard to put a needle through by hand. In fact it's more controlled. WHY DO THEY EVEN EXIST?!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Like I say, they were originally used for tagging cows I think, but why someone started using them on humans I don't know why. And yeah heard horror stories of them being used on all parts of the body. Its horrifying. They shouldnt even be used for ear lobes, let alone anywhere else.

Regular Crew

Date:

At the piercing place I went to for my conch, I saw a sticker that had a picture of a piercing gun with a circle and line going through. I thought it was really cute and it made me smile :D

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I got my ears pierced when I was 7 so I didn't know much about how it was actually done. Thanks for this, now I know if I ever choose to get more done =)

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings.

He winked at you? [tsk]Musicians.

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
What are you talking about?
You heard me rapping, right?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

xXImmiXx wrote:

Ouch! I can't imagine getting anything other than ears with a gun! I had my ears done when I was 12, and just automatically assumed all places used guns (I also went to Claires as I couldn't think of anywhere else to go for piercings then!)

I was in exactly the same position. The hole was too big, the earring was too small and it swallowed ot up and healed over it over night. Had to yank them out backwards and repierce. Bad times.

Also, goth_girl, you are a guru. Great advice :D

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I discovered this the hard way when I got my cartilage piercing done with a gun. I had a terrible infection and ended up taking it out. Stupidly, I then did it again with exactly the same results. Needle piercings are more expensive but definitely worth avoiding the pain and infection.

Screw the box of chocolates; life is like a chili pepper. How much pleasure you derive depends on how much pain you can stand.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I have stickied this as I think it is excellent. I know someone who got their tragus done with a gun and it shattered the cartilage. It was horrid.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I saw an advert for a piercing studio in Cumbernauld Town Centre with a whole list of different piercings they would do...then I noticed at the top of it they stated that they used piercing guns!

WTF!!!

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Jack Von Scholtzy wrote:

Needle piercings are more expensive but definitely worth avoiding the pain and infection.

My regular ear piercings (done with a gun) were more expensive than my scaffold piercing(done with a needle).

Cut Out And Keep

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Shit man I got my nose pierced with a gun! That's probably why it only cost 15 quid then... I also got my ears done with a gun (oh Claire's!) the first time I got them done. My later ear piercings were done by myself with a sewing needle and a bit of blu-tack behind the ear (which, I might add, all turned out beautifully and didn't have any trouble with pus or anything). I hated getting my nose pierced with a gun because when it pierced me, I jumped because it was so sudden and almost got pierced in the wrong place! Erghhh.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Well THIS explains alot.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My mum got her helix pierced with a gun a few years ago and it rejected, so she took it out. She got it done again this year in April, but I insisted she go to a proper piercing place, where they used a needle. She didn't even realise that needles existed. Her piercing is now all fine and dandy and non-rejecty!

I am a socialite,an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

candiclaus wrote:

I have stickied this as I think it is excellent. I know someone who got their tragus done with a gun and it shattered the cartilage. It was horrid.

Ouchouchouch!

Facebook: Personal| Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Regular Crew

Date:

Wow, I had no idea that guns were so bad. I've had 12 piercings done with guns, and absolutely no problems, but I will say that they were through my ear lobes, at the top of one ear, and through my nostril. I would never get anywhere else pierced with a gun, especially not something like my nipple or navel! (eyes watering at the thought)

And, having read this thread, I certainly won't be getting any more piercings done with a gun.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yay! It's sticky* and spreading**.

*The thread
*The word.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My friend had her nose pierced with a gun. It was all wonky.

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

o.0 Gyaah! I so don't know enough about piercings! I too had no idea how bad guns were :/ And now I'm all confused (: This is probably the wrong thread, but as you all seem to know what you're talking about : I'm getting 5 ear piercings done in about two weeks: Where do I go, what do I ask for, what should I expect, and how much should I expect to pay - so that bad shit doesn't happen to my ears :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm no expert on piercings but, I'd go to your nearest tattoo parlour (or other piercing place) and just ask for exactly what you want, if you don't know proper names, then just describe what you want, and I'm sure they'll understand. I don't know what its likely to cost, but I know my local tattoo place does all piercings for 20.

Cut Out And Keep

Honoured Mook

Date:

I shall go there and ask if they use a gun or not tomorrow morning, as I am going to town (to get an action man costume xD) anyway tomorrow (: Ta.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I got my nose done with a gun, jumped, the gun AND the piercing got stuck, I had to pierce it myself, and all the blood vessels have been fucked ever since.

Thank you, Lucy Lockets, for further marring my already marred nose.
You bastards.

On a happier note, I do my own piercings now, and have never had one go wrong on me yet.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks]

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I've done all the piercings in my ears (7) with a gun. I never had any problem until it shot through the cartilage, then it never wanted to heal properly and hurted like hell.

My nose was done with a needle though, and a close friend made it which made it easier (I am both a diabetic and have fear of needles. Ironic, huh?)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wargh. I've got my ears pierced twice, both times with a gun, both times at Claire's.
I've had no problems, but I certainly won't be going back there if I decide I want anymore!

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter.

Lush Guru

Date:

A girl I know from school got her nose pierced with a gun and being the piercing guru that I am she came bounding up to me to show it and I was like "Christ..." it was this HUGE gold earring stud....it was foul. She ended up taking it out of course.

A different friend got her tragus gunned, and constantly complained about pain and pus and such....I explained once and then gave up.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us