Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: BRIGHT, COLOURFUL HAIR.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Which hair dye brand lasts?

Does anyone know where you can get SE cheaper though? I love it, I just can't afford the 12 quid for a single tub.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It's ok, Ive just got some off ebay for 9 quid, free postage too. I find directions last a fair amount of time, although I'm sure they have changed the dye as the colours aren't exactly the same as they used to be and don't last as long.

Baby Mook

Date:

I followed advice I found on this thread on hairextensionsforum.com... ignore the "leave for 15-30 minutes" instructions. Leave it for hours. Put a plastic bag over your hair, tape it on, and sleep in it.

I only did my hair the other day so can't testify to how long it lasts, but certainly seemed to be rinsing out less than when I last dyed it. It gives it time to sink in and permeate the hair, rather than just tickling it!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Also... blow drying your hair a little before rinsing the dye out helps. :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Yes, that works because when you go to the hair dresser they set your colour with heat so it maks sense to do it at home.

Also wash your hair with cold water. :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I find if I mix a tub of dye with a bottle of shampoooo, and leave it on a couple of minutes after lathering it, it helps the colour last :)

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A friend of mine uses Stargazer and it has faded quite slowly to a lovely colour. :)

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Regular Crew

Date:
Bright red without bleach on light brown hair?

I've really been wanting to dye my hair a bright red for a while, but a few months back I bleached and dyed it Directions Atlantic Blue. I loved it. But it faded very quickly leaving me blonde on top and stubborn very faded blue on the bottom. So I dyed it a light brown to match my natural hair color.

I've given my hair a break for a a couple of months and really want to find a red hair dye that's as bright RED. (not a natural red, or too orangy) But I also do not want to bleach anymore for a while.

Here's my hair:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/371/063010174706.jpg

I've been thinking about Feria's powers reds R68. It seems to be the brightest I can find around here without having to bleach first.

I've always wanted hair like Lola from Run, Lola Run. But since I'm not bleaching I'm wanting to get as close to this as possible:

This is what I would like to have:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1733/447603806132ba47ab0e.jpg

or

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8365/securedownloadhj.jpg

confuse So basically what is the brightest red I can get for my current color without bleach?

Any help or suggestions would be amazing. :]

-- Edited by Blackavar on Friday 16th of July 2010 12:09:38 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Swarzkopf Live are pretty good.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Hi there :)

The colour your hair is now is also pretty much the same as my natural hair colour is. The first colour I ever dyed my hair was a nice lovely red, also quite similar to the red you are aiming for. I used Live XXL dye and the result was absolutely great. You should be fine to dye your hair red without bleaching it first.

However, I find that red as a colour does fade very quickly, so be prepared for frequent re-dyes.

-- Edited by loserbuttercup on Friday 16th of July 2010 11:49:52 AM

Regular Crew

Date:

I've been looking aorund and actually found a lot of peple said that schwarzkopf live had a really nice red. I also noticed that it was a german name...so I'm hoping I could at least find some online that I could buy as I live in the US.

I may try for this color. :] Thanks guys.

EDIT: I think I'll try and get some of the Read Red 35 on eBay.

-- Edited by Blackavar on Friday 16th of July 2010 12:20:24 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yeah you're hair is really light, so if you dye it permanent bright red it will go bright red and the more you dye it the colour will stick and all dyes permanent dyes lighten the hair a bit.

"All smart girls should acknowledge a kindred spirit." - Shirley Manson

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Red is one of the best colours to put on light brown hair. It does fade fairly quickly though, so you will have to re-do it often.

I see you are new to the forum. Have you checked out our guidelines thread?

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Regular Crew

Date:

You definitely won't need to bleach- your current hair colour is perfect for dying!

Another vote for Schwarzkopf. Feria fades easily in my experience, although the intial results are really good. You could also try Special Effects. Some shades have decent staying power, and you can put extra dye in your shampoo to perk it up between dyes.

xXMissy RenXx

Regular Crew

Date:

My hair is seriously resilient when it comes to dye, yet when I dyed it with Special Effects Sonic Green, I could not get it out. Even after dying black over it, there was still a visible green tint. In the end I had to grow it out until it was long enough to cut off!

Whatever you choose, try to limit your hair washing, and when you do wash it use colour shampoo and rinse with cold water.

xXMissy RenXx

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been using Stargazer in my hair for the last little while and I've only had to properly top it up once in the last month. I really like that brand. The hair dye in the shampoo bottle trick is really helpful as well.

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Bright red without bleach on light brown hair?

You can use henna if you're worried about damaging your hair. Then your locks will blaze with healthy fire!

Screw the box of chocolates; life is like a chili pepper. How much pleasure you derive depends on how much pain you can stand.

Regular Crew

Date:

candiclaus, I joined a few months back but haven't been online much latley, but I don't believe I've checked out the guidelines actually. ^^;

I've always heard of henna hair dye but have never tried it and I haven't met anyone who has used it themselves.

My hair may be a little darker than in the picture just because of where it was taken. But not much at all so I hope I can get the red I want. Just don't want it too bright in case I change jobs. :P Thanks for all of your help guys.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

If you don't want to bleach your hair because you want to treat it nicely, you should also take care that the dye you use do not contain bleach. Otherwise you might as well bleach it yourself and use vegetable dye.

Which in my experience is better for your hair anyway. Not that you need to bleach it to get a good colour with vegetable dyes, bleaching just makes it stay longer. -Which is why most grocery store dyes contain bleach. But of course, these little bundles of chemicals means less maintenance. If that is your primary goal, by all means.

But f I were you, I'd buy a box of Vampire Red or go to a hairdresser.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: BEST semi-permenant hair colour. [Stargazer/Manic Panic/Crazy Colour/Directions, etc.]

Fudge for me... I used a manic panic colour once (after midnight blue) and it was a gorgeous colour, and i love it... and then it wouldn't go away.

But then, that might just be cuz my hair was too bleached. :P

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know but I've tried the dye in shampoo before and it was a pain cos if I didn't wear gloves every time it totally stained my hands and it was really messy :/

Honoured Mook

Date:

Really? I don't find I get pink palms... Maybe it depends on the colour whether it stains in shampoo? :/

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah it's a bright red one, maybe that's it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Could well be. Odd. Hair dye's so difficult :D

Tumblr

Date:
RE: BEST semi-permenant hair colour. [Stargazer/Manic Panic/Crazy Colour/Directions, etc.]

^ You can actually dye over faded midnight blue. Just use dandruff shampoo to strip off most of the colour and soak your hair in any of the dark manic panic dyes. I doubt pink will cover up midnight blue, but vampire red definitively does.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

:D Which is all well and good, but when your hair has been bleached 7 times already, and you're trying to get your hair back to the blonde it is UNDER the blue, cuz you want a job, but you have to have normal hairs, and your washing your hair (no shit) 12 times daily (it was holidays, i don't get out much :P) with harsh anti dandruff shampoo and it STILL won't go... >.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Bright red without bleach on light brown hair?

I've used Schwarzkopf live several times, always with great results, and my hair was darker than yours is now, so you should be fine. I found that their 'Hypnotic Red' gave me the brightest red.

Good luck!

Regular Crew

Date:

hypnotic red eh? I've been hearing some good things about that one actually. :] Thanks I just wish I could find some pictures of some people who have used it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This thread is very similar to this one I made a few weeks ago...

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Date:

Well blonde is another kettle of fish entirely. But maybe you could try the same procedure as when going from black to blonde?

Also, blonde is not the only normal colour. I've gone from blue to brown because they demanded it at work. It's sad, but an option.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 510  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us