Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: BRIGHT, COLOURFUL HAIR.

Regular Crew

Date:
BRIGHT, COLOURFUL HAIR.

I'm bleaching, and then dying my friends hair blue in a couple of weeks, and he wants to buy the dye ASAP. I've never used major brands to dye my hair bright colours before, and i've heard really good and really awful things about pretty much every bright semi-permenant dye. But overall, I wanted to know the best (value for money, coverage/amount in each box, how well the dye took etc).

Opinions + stories? :)

-- Edited by candiclaus on Thursday 13th of January 2011 12:01:44 AM

Permenant spent neon mind glowing bent like a church fair, Though you repent it makes less than a dent in the repair.

Mookface (mod)

Date:
RE: BEST semi-permenant hair colour. [Stargazer/Manic Panic/Crazy Colour/Directions, etc.]

I dyed my brother's hair blue using Manic Panic (I think), and it lasted quite well, fading over time to a lightish blue, but make sure there are no orange tones left on the bleached hair or bits of it will come out green! (Which actually looked pretty cool, but may not be the effect you're looking for).

Regular Crew

Date:

Thank you :)

+ thanks for the tip, i'm tempted to tell him to get a toner now as well, just incase.

Permenant spent neon mind glowing bent like a church fair, Though you repent it makes less than a dent in the repair.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

There's a really long thread on here somewhere alrady about the best ones to use.

Regular Crew

Date:

I'm a big fan of Punky Color (by Jerome Russell). It stays in my hair for months and months, plus it comes in a big enough jar that I only ever use half a jar at a time.

Manic Panic worked ok for me, but the tips of my hair faded really fast for some reason.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've tried most of the popular ones, but Special Effects has my vote.... it lasts for months, and it's so vibrant. Some of the colours even glow under UV light.

Not too pricey either, about 9 pounds I think on Ebay or Beeunique, and one bottle covered my hair which is boob-length. ^_^

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've only ever used stargazers, and it worked quite well, but I've always heard the best things about Special Effects.

Fuzzy little man peach.

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I too have never used special effects, but I hear very good things about it.

I am , as we speak/type, stewing in Directions. Their pinks is very good, but the purples (which are blue based) fade quite fast, just leaving pinks. So I don't hold out fast for pure blue.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Dyeing Without Bleach

For the Summer holidays, my mum will most likely be letting me dye my hair purple. However, she's not letting me use bleach. What brand and colours of semi-permentant dye will give the brightest colour purple?
In case you don't know, my hair is medium brown.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think Live do an XXL colour in cosmic purple? That might not be the exact colour but I know they do a purple. I've only used their reds but I never had a problem dying over my hair with them, and it was quite a dark brown =)

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Again these dyes are good and should cover your hair, but I don't know how bright the purple will be. I don't think there's any other way you'll get it purple without bleaching it first.

Regular Crew

Date:

Picklechops has the right idea :D

I use Live XXL colour all the time! From black to purple to red! it works wonderfully! ^-^

It also means i dont have to bleach my hair! :O

-- Edited by Trashy on Sunday 6th of June 2010 01:15:07 PM

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Your mum should read up a bit on hair dye before making rules...

You can get around the whole "no dye" rule by go getting some permanent dye that already contain some bleachy stuff, they sell them in most grocery stores. I can't advice you on brand, because I don't let stuff like that near my precious hair.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Live XXL is not semi-permanent, it's permanent.

L'Oreal do a range called Matrix Prizm - you'll need to get it in a Sally's (Salon Express) shop cos I don't think it's available outwith trade style places. That's apparently (I've not used it but a girl in my class has) quite bright without having to bleach it first...

Regular Crew

Date:

Loreal casting creme gloss in plum turned out really purple on my hair but it was light brown, if your hairs darker im not sure how bright it would turn out..

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: BEST semi-permenant hair colour. [Stargazer/Manic Panic/Crazy Colour/Directions, etc.]

Ive been using shitty hottopic dye, and of course it dosen't stay in well at all. I have a box of Splat hair dye, which i've yet to use. I know red dosen't stay in the longest anyway, but Im hoping this will work better.

Honoured Mook

Date:
Which hair dye brand lasts?

Directions? Special Effects? crazy colour? Manic panic? star gazer??

I'm really sick of colour pissing out!

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Honoured Mook

Date:

Not Directions.
I'm bleached with Flamingo Pink over the top and in a week I've gone from hot pink to ''sucked highlighter'' *rolleyes*
I used to use turquoise Stargazer dye, from what I remember that stuck around a while :)

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It all depends on your hair, the colour of the dye and stuff like that. So a certain colour by a certain brand could last ages in one persons hair, but not in another. Maybe you're best off having a bit of a trial with each one?

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Special Effects does. not. wash. out.

For me, anyway. But most people I know who've tried it said the same.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

As picklechops said, it depends on your hair. Most dyes seem to cling to my hair. It also depends on the colour of dye. Blue based dyes are piss poor from my experience, fade quickly where as red based dyes seem to last much longer. The only way to find one that works is trial and error.

twitter

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm using the same as Mimble and it does fade too fast for my liking. I go from flamingo pink to sunset orange in a week. Yuck. Also, don't use Fudge Paintbox. I used their pink last year and it faded within days.

I'm planning to go blue next so I'll keep an eye on this thread since I want it to last as long as I can get it to.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

In my experience, Manic Panic have good blues, and directions have some nice purples.

But as Pickle said, it all depends on your hair, the water you use and whatnot.

Another tip is to dye the hair a few shades darker than how you want it to be, because most dyes fade a little bit during the first week or so.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Directions Flamingo works great on really, really white hair, lasts a good 3 -4 weeks before fading, and then it fades to a really nice pastel pink instead of dirty orange.

I have heard very good things about Special Effects though.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Special Effects dye is absolutely godlike. My pink hair currently has inch-long brown roots because that's how long it's been since I last dyed it, but the pink itself is still super super bright. If that's not staying power, I don't know what is!

Lush Guru

Date:

It also matter what kind of hair products you use. Hairspray has a lot of alcohol in which strips colour. Annis' colour might stay so long because (I don't think) she uses a lot of product, whereas Frankie's fades quicker because she uses half a can a day. Y'see? Logic and that.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Aha. Hairspray? That explains it then.

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Manic Panic fades really fast, which is good if you just want to experiment with it. I used the 'new rose' colour ages ago and after a few washes it turned orange. I think if you reapply a little every time you wash your hair it would be okay, but that's a lot of dye to go through...

Also it doesn't come with gloves, so your hands will be pink/blue/whatever for a couple of days. I've heard Directions or Special Effects is best, though.

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Urgh, every single type of hair dye seems to wash out of my hair mega-quick! Even permanent black dye (which is what I've dyed my hair at the moment).

The only one of the dye types you listed wot I've tried is Manic Panic. As Immi says, it fades very fast. Then again, maybe it didn't help that I went swimming streight after dying it! :)

Regular Crew

Date:

I will bow down and worship Special Effects until the day I die. It's amazing. It fades of course, everything must eventually, but it fades beautifully. Instead of just going straight to white, it fades to a lighter version of the colour it originally was. Out of all the dyes that I've tried, SP reigns supreme.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us