Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mooncup.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: "Moon Cups" and the like

I used one for about 14 months. It was comfy and not horrible, stayed in place, smelt less than pads, and I never once had wash it in a public bathroom. I stopped when I went on the POP, because it was uncomfy on lighter periods, but it was great for heavier times.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Honoured Mook

Date:
Mooncup.

I'm not sure to what degree this is a rant more than a pause for thought regarding said utensil.

So. In my understanding and, correct me if i'm wrong, but Mooncup sells itself as being the greener way to deal with periods and also I get the impression that it comes across as being accompanied by some form of female enlightenment. I get the potential pros of such a product but feel really strongly about the way it uses ethical issues as a selling point.

I'm all for being greener and do my fair share of recycling and ethical shopping etc but do women really need to be made to feel bad for having periods? i.e using tampons etc? Let's face it we'd boycott periods if we could but we can't and mooncup obviously isn't for everybody.

There are so many ways in which we can be green but to obligate women in this way could be interpreted as discriminatory and a little bit regressive.

Isn't this just another form of guilt, which from where i'm standing is not the optimum form of female enlightenment! Plus all this "love your vagina" crap I find totally patronising.

Ok i'll stop now. I just find it all a bit much.

My website! 

http://sarahstockdale.co.uk

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Noone is being obligated to use one and I'm sure a lot of women would rather not have to spend so much money each month, never mind the ethical issues.

I think the ethical issues are a good selling point though. Every product requires a selling point. The mooncup has it's ethical stance. There are re-usable towels and such which are available if a woman can't use the mooncup but doesn't want to use disposable items. So they aren't the only option.

I don't think enough women even know about the mooncup to say that it's obligating. If all the other companies stopped production and mooncup was the only option then yes, that would be obligating but for so long the only option for most women was disposable items...weren't we being obligated to contribute to a wasteful society? Even if we recycled everything we could and use as little energy etc we were still forced to throw away pads and tampons every month. I used to have to use both on some days and all of it just went into the bin.

There is the option of pills, jags and implants which can stop/reduce your period...no mooncup, towel or tampon required.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't mean obligated in a 'no other option' kind of way but more in an 'I am a woman who must do all I can to be green and if I don't I am a bad person' kind of way.

The problem with this is that periods aren't by choice and some of us can't opt into Mooncup for whatever reason which means that by default we fall into the category of women who have to rely on other means. I know there are re-usables out there which would be the next best alternative but the pills and implants surely are not as resourceful due to research etc? Re-usable towels also come with certain practicality / lifestyle issues.

I think my issue with this may be somewhat defensive because after reading your argument I realise a lot of what you say makes sense. I just worry that women tend to shoulder a lot of responsibility for just being born women. There is still, as yet, no male equivalent of the pill and condoms certainly aren't re-useable which of course would be more ethical.

Choice is never a bad thing, I just feel that, in the case of periods, if disposable items are your only option then there is a feeling that somehow you are contributing more to a wasteful society over something you are unable to help hence the attached guilt.

My website! 

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

There is already an agregate thread for mooncup discussions...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oops! Sorry.

My website! 

Regular Crew

Date:

Scarlettfoxx wrote:

I don't mean obligated in a 'no other option' kind of way but more in an 'I am a woman who must do all I can to be green and if I don't I am a bad person' kind of way.

The problem with this is that periods aren't by choice and some of us can't opt into Mooncup for whatever reason which means that by default we fall into the category of women who have to rely on other means. I know there are re-usables out there which would be the next best alternative but the pills and implants surely are not as resourceful due to research etc? Re-usable towels also come with certain practicality / lifestyle issues.

I think my issue with this may be somewhat defensive because after reading your argument I realise a lot of what you say makes sense. I just worry that women tend to shoulder a lot of responsibility for just being born women. There is still, as yet, no male equivalent of the pill and condoms certainly aren't re-useable which of course would be more ethical.

Choice is never a bad thing, I just feel that, in the case of periods, if disposable items are your only option then there is a feeling that somehow you are contributing more to a wasteful society over something you are unable to help hence the attached guilt.

Womens disposable pads and tampons are extremely damaging to the enviroment, both in production and as a disposal item, that's the fact. AND it's actually the companies that make those disposables that make us believe we need them through smart marketing techniques. You think it's more libarating to use conventional pads and tampons?
Disposables have been with us for a very short period of time, women have been using other things to collect their blood ever since there has been humans on this planet. Why use the worse out of the other alternatives that are out there?

I use cloth pads with great success, I have saved a lot of money by now. I have had the same pads for 5 years and they are still almost as good as new. I just don't see the problem, why use disposables that are both more unhygienic (they don't breath as well) and stink and are much more expensive?

I'm planning to buy a mooncup soon, I hope it fits me and that I will find it comfy, one never knows. I guess it just takes some time to get used to. Then I will never have to use any disposies ever again, not even when traveling.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

urk, in my no-period state I had forgotten how gross those disposable sanity pads are.

Anyway, about choosing greener alternatives: I think it is much better to focus on the things one can do, rather than berating oneself for not doing enough. It's a question of mindset really, not marketing.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I chose the mooncup for budgetary reasons more than ethical although it obviously played a part in my decision. I just didn't want to spend so much money every month on pads and tampons after years of not buying them when I could spend a one-off amount and have it last for however long I took care of it - I ended up having to buy a second one cos I managed to forget the pot and boiled all the water away and melted the first one!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Mooncup, now also for dinner :)

It's weird, even after having met you irl I still picture you in a kitchen with perfect 50's looks and a cupboard full of gin.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have to use disposable pads because I can't use anything else.
I'm psychologically unable to insert any form of tampon/mooncup (as numerous threads I've made explain) and the practical issues of where I live mean it's incredibly inconvenient to use re-usable pads.
I'd like to save myself money and I'd like to help the environment but this is one area I can't do anything about. I like to think I do my share of environment-saving by recycling almost everything.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ewww Irilaaaar, I gagged a little at the thought of eating my mooncup!

Hehehe, at some point I'm going to "Stepford Wife" myself and do the perfect 50s housewife impression!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I just bought a moon cup, and I need some help. I push it in as far as it will go, but the end bit sticks out a bit to far and it's quite uncomfortable- has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing it wrong?

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can trim the stem

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Ohhhhhh, thank you, I'll do that!

Liv

My Tumblr :)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Just make sure you trim it a little at a time- trim it too much and they can leak, apparently.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Regular Crew

Date:

Irilar wrote:

Mooncup, now also for dinner :) 

I had serious mature questions but I've forgotten what they were because I'm too busy giggling at this.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I am allergic to tampons and pads as is my mum. I have opted for contraception that stops periods altogether. Mum opted for the mooncup. She seems rather happy with it. The only thing she feels odd with it is when she's not in the comfort of her own home and it needs sorting.

Regular Crew

Date:

Just bought a mooncup (eco friendly and cheap long term, I am super student)
Currently looking at it in a cautious fashion. But I am determined to persevere having only just got my period back after coming off the contraceptive injection a year ago and remembering how much I hate disposable stuff, its plain embarrassing a lot of the time.

Tumblr, Facebook

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. 
 Douglas Adams

"The short answer to that is 'no'. The long answer is 'f*** no'." 
 Stephen Fry

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I dunno, I'm a bit scared to try a mooncup. I use re-usable pads though and they've always suited me just fine. It takes a disposable nappy around 550 years to decompose and disposable sanitary towels would be much the same, which is crazy.

I like people too much or not at all. I've got to go down deep, to fall into people, to really know them. - Sylvia Plath

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I was a little bit apprehensive about using it at first - when I took it out the box I was a bit like "that's fucking HUGE!" lol! I got used to using it really quickly though and it's a godsend for not having to worry about carrying a zillion tampons in your bag!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm seriously thinking about buying one - I'm really bad at remebering to buy pads or tampons and usually have to steal some of my mum for the first day of my period or until I get to a shop which could pose a problem when I (hopefully) go to uni in september and have no one to remind me to buy them/steal off. Do you have to buy them online or is there any shops in the uk that sell them?

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can get them in bigger Boots shops.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Health food shops sell them too sometimes.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Regular Crew

Date:

I got mine online. Tried it out, its a bit awkward at first but I think I am getting the knack. I am also going to uni this year so I wanted to avoid as many potential problems as possible. However, one way to sterilize them is to boil them in a pan; that'll be fun if a flatmate is around =/

Tumblr, Facebook

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. 
 Douglas Adams

"The short answer to that is 'no'. The long answer is 'f*** no'." 
 Stephen Fry

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I just had to go through this whole thread to see if I'd already posted. Reading old posts is almost as agonising for me as reading old diaries.

I have a Mooncup, which I struggled to use (I am absurdly small down there, for no obvious reason - I just have a highly elastic vagina apparently). Getting it in was uncomfortable, getting it out was unbearable.

Funnily enough, I didn't stop using Mooncup because I found it so painful, I stopped using it because my periods stopped. I stopped having them a couple of years prior to using le Mooncup, so I only bought it when they started again. Unfortunately for my bank balance, it was a short-lived return and I only had two. They've not come back since.

If I still had periods, I'd probably still be using my Mooncup - hopefully I'd be used to it by now!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks guys :) I'll have a trek to York to see if the Boots there stocks them :)

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

They take a bit of getting used to and figuring out the ins and outs (literally), but once you've got it they're great. I don't ever spend money on tampons or pads any more and I find my Mooncup much more comfortable. :)

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Lush Guru

Date:

Has anybody else found that tampons give them more painful cramps? I am mildly worried that it would be the same for the mooncup and therefore I'd not want to use it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't really remember, my period pain varies in intensity month to month anyway so I couldn't say. I'm so helpful sometimes!

The mooncup sits lower than a tampon and doesn't dry up your vajayay.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us