Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mooncup.

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Mooncup

...I just laughed really hard when i heard the name.......:P

I'm kinda thinking abotu it though

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Regular Crew

Date:

Kitty Fire wrote:

I honestly cannot think of any other way to put this, so...

How much bacteria do you think is on your boyfriend's dick? Or does that need to be stored in an airtight bag before insertion too?

Haha, this made me lmao XD.

Using a condom, not because of pregnancy or STD fears, but fear of bacteria, is a new and intersting concept to me =P

I started the pill last month, and although my periods remain heavy and horrible, sex is better because im mildly allergic to latex.

I saw a thing on TV once that said children actually need to be raised around some bacteria, and studies proved that children living in a completelly sterile, bacteria-free zone had really bad immune systems, while those allowed to play in the mud had much healthier immune systems.

Food for thought. 

"And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had" -Mad World

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm seriously considering this after going out to stock up on tampons and nearly fainting at how expensive they are!

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Irilar wrote:

^ I had the exact same problem. Ye gods how I hated those bloody pads! I know some girls break their hymen themselves to get rid of it, but I just found it too painful.

But it all got sorted out after a bit more penetrative sex. I can only advise you to shag as much as possible ;D

I never noticed any pain or hymen problems when I started on tampons, but I started masturbating penetratively (is that even a word?) pretty early, possibly before I started having periods..either way, I don't remember feeling hymen issues.  I must just be lucky! wink Christ, it's been aaaaages since I've had a hymen...little ol' hymenless virgin me, haha.

I think shagging as much as possible sounds like good, solid advice for any situation!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't remember ever having a hymen...

Silly Whore.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

^ Same here. But I did a lot of sports like horse back riding and cycling when I was young, and apparently that can be all it takes to tear it (which makes sense, as it's an external membrane). Or perhaps I wasn't born with one at all...

I feel kind of bad for women in cultures that still believe the hymen is an indicator of virginity. Then they have to go through that whole mess of having a surgeon create one for them just so they can prove they are pure enough for marriage.

But I'm digressing the thread from it's topic. Back to the mooncup!

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dammit, whenever I think the word "moon cup" (which is often apparently?!) it always sounds like the woman singing on the moon pig advert.

"MOOOON CUUUP DOT COOOOM"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

God, it's the same for me! Every time that advert comes on I twitch, thinking more about plastic cups that special cards....

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I haven't read all of this thread (need to hurry to work) I just wanted to say that I absolutly LOVE my mooncup and don't know what I would do without it.

I bought mine at Glastonbury a few years ago (where they had them discounted so I felt better about trying it)
For the first period or two I wore pads along with it because I was convinced it wouldn't work, but it did. You need to get the hang of putting it inand relaxing and stuff but I didn't find it anymore difficult than a tampon.

The only thing I would say is that although you can leave it in longer than a tampon, on your more heavy days, if it gets too full it can leak. So on the heavier days just keep an eye on it.

Otherwise *LOVE* I honestly and seriously love it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

hhhmmmmm....I am considering it more and more.
I don't really have heavy periods so that won't be a problem. :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have one!
It's very comfortable actually, I hardly know I'm wearing it. Although I haven't had to empty it yet, so I guess we'll see how that goes. It went in a lot more easily than I thought it would, so overall I'm impressed so far.

Silly Whore.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

There are so many mixed opinions about it. I am really concerned about the amount of waste humans put into the world, and so I tried the mooncup. I was so excited about it, and I felt all elite and proactive as I bought mine. I tried. It wasn't for me. I persevered. It still wasn't for me.

Morbidly, I loved seeing my blood like that in the cup. It looks far more pleasant that on a pad (yes yes tmi, i know), but that was the only pro in my book. I even tried using it again more recently, but it was uncomfortable to take out because the feeling of suction made me feel so queasy.

But like other people in this thread, I know loads of girls who LOVE LOVE LOVE their mooncups to the point of it being a little freaky! :) So there you go...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I haven't quite figured out the removing bit yet, that hurts at the minute, like sex with a massive guy hurts.
I think it's suction though and that can be rectified by piercing the top with a pin or something.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I slide my index finger up the side of the cup and press gently to release the suction.

I actually don't dread my period because of my mooncup. I dread the cramps and moods but not the actual period! lol!

Honoured Mook

Date:

My cousin swears by the Mooncup, she absolutely loves it!!

I have never tried it, but my period's are generally really light, so not sure if it is suited or not?!

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It's the oddest and best thing I've ever spent £20(ish) on!

My boy thinks it's a bit freaky but he's a boy, what does he know!

It's thick rubber (about 3mm thick) and looks a bit like the end of a condom only bigger and it's got an extra wee stem that you can trim (so it doesn't rub against the opening of your lady bits) or remove altogether - personal choice but it gives you something to tug on to get it out. It's also got markings on the sides showing ml (I don't bother keeping track of how much is in it!). It doesn't protect against pregnancy. It's never been shown to cause Toxic-Shock Syndrome though they recommend not using it if you've ever actually had TSS.

Before use:
There are instructions on how to clean it, boiling it in a pan of water or putting it in the dishwasher! I save my boy from finding it in the dishwasher and I boil it in a pan! You do this every month once you've finished your period as well.

Putting it in:
It squishes so you can kind of fold it in half then half again to insert it and makes a fun noise when it pops back open (I might just be weird thinking the noise is fun, it's a bit like a lip-smacking sound) and then you give it a wee wiggle to make sure it's inserted properly, fully open and a wee tug to make sure it's sitting comfortably.

Taking it out:
I find that if I put one finger inside and push up the side of the cup it releases the suction and then with that finger and my thumb I pull it out (either holding the base of the cup or the wee stem depending how tightly my lady muscles are holding onto it!). As I'm removing it I tilt it slightly backwards then forwards to kind of wiggle it out. It also means that as soon as it's fully out I just tip the contents into the toilet.

Ok, I'll admit I did gag a little bit the first time I pulled it out and then looked at it (I was curious what it looks like) but it's just a bit odd seeing it as quite bright red liquid instead of dry on a pad or soaked into a tampon.

If I'm near a sink (or bidet in my flat) it gets a quick rinse under the hot tap and then reinserted. If no sink (or a bottle of water) is to hand then a quick wipe with some loo roll, reinsert and just make sure it gets a good wash next time you take it out. I recommend getting the loo roll ready first as it can be a bit tricky trying to hold the cup and then start dealing with the loo roll one-handed!

I find that I can leave mine in all day and it's fine but I have been fairly light. Heavier periods just mean you have to empty it more often. It hasn't leaked at all (even overnight) and I can't feel it when it's properly inside. If you haven't trimmed the stem enough you will feel it poking you so get that sorted! It takes a little bit of practice to get the insertion/removal but after a couple of attempts I stopped even thinking about it.

I've danced with it in, I've sneezed (I was so worried that it would pop out) with it in and it's not budged! It's definitely worth the initial parting with cash cos you'll never (barring for just in case emergency supply) have to buy tampons or pads ever again!

You can't have sex with it in. But that's about the only thing you can't do!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spikeyfaerie wrote:
It's thick rubber (about 3mm thick) and looks a bit like the end of a condom only bigger and it's got an extra wee stem that you can trim (so it doesn't rub against the opening of your lady bits) or remove altogether - personal choice but it gives you something to tug on to get it out. It's also got markings on the sides showing ml (I don't bother keeping track of how much is in it!). It doesn't protect against pregnancy. It's never been shown to cause Toxic-Shock Syndrome though they recommend not using it if you've ever actually had TSS.

Odd question, but are you sure it's rubber?

A lot of things are silicon. it kinda acts the same way except silicone doesn't deteriorate/cause reactions like rubber does.

i just don't feel like anything rubber would go over well if i used it there (i get a rash whenever i had to wear a swim cap thats not made of silicone)

-- Edited by [crazy]girl on Sunday 4th of October 2009 10:48:08 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

yeah, it's made from silicone rubber.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

That's interesting. Can you use it if you haven't yet parted ways with Mr Hymen?

Tampons I find I'm always paranoid about them falling out...

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hmmm...well there will always be a hole even if your hymen hasn't fully broken...I don't know, it's something to research.

Tampons won't fall out because they swell up slightly and your vaginal walls will hold them in.

From the mooncup website...
Hymen

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 02:41:15 PM

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Intruiging, I wonder if the ladies at the brook would know anything about it?
I always feel weird talking to man-doctors about periods.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Well, no chance with a mooncup for me.

I can't use tampons, they actually give me panic attacks. I was so excited the other day when I got one a little way in, I almost fainted and cracked my head on the sink.
So that's a no, unfortunately.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Ahhh that sucks. :(

I'm really liking mine actually. Oddly I don't feel nearly as conscious of leaking with this as I did with a tampon. Getting it out takes practice though, I'll say that.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah, I feel much more secure with mine than I ever did - used to wear tampons and towels cos I never fully trusted tampons!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I WISH THAT I LIKED THE MOONCUP. I WISH I DID SO MUCH. It's just the slurping... Can't deal.

And regarding the 'moonpig'/mooncup thing, go to Youtube and type in moon chavs. I keep singing, "moon cups, cups from the mooon. full of your moonblood, cups from the moooooon"

you will too, when you hear it.

Honoured Mook

Date:
"Moon Cups" and the like

I've recently become interested in menstrual cups as an alternative to tampons, and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with them.

A few questions:
1. Are they hard to get in/ out?
2. Do they fill up fast?
3. Do your fingers get icky when you pull them out? (Not that I have any qualms about my own blood, just thinking about public restrooms here.)
4. Which ones do you consider "the best?"

Any info would be appreciated.

Screw the box of chocolates; life is like a chili pepper. How much pleasure you derive depends on how much pain you can stand.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Mooncup

Loads of what you're looking for. Including my rather huge account of it on the last page!

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Saturday 2nd of January 2010 11:42:56 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm considering buying a mooncup or two. It's on my to do list.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I love mine, it's the best £20-odd I think I've ever spent! I'm saving so much money than if I was using tampons and towels.

If I'm bleeding heavily I just empty it more often, it's not like oh god I've run out of tampons and now I have to find someone who has one or a shop to buy them or a machine that will swallow my money!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I didn't like it. There wasn't anything *wrong* with it, it just wasn't for me. I didn't like the suctiony feeling it gave me when I took it out.

Your fingers can get icky, but they don't always.you have to wash/wipe it anyway when you take it out, which can be a pain in public, but I think that if you like the mooncup this is all worth it. I might give mine a try again some day.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 57  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us