Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mooncup.

Lush Guru

Date:
Has anyone

Actually tried the mooncup?

I'm seriously considering it, but I really dislike tampons, will I hate it?

Honoured Mook

Date:

I know I've a friend who's looked into it, but she's decided to stick with towels.

The idea of the Mooncup does seem a little unusual to me, particularly with regards the idea of collecting the fluid, rather than absorbing it.

I guess it's something that might catch on, if enough people learn about it. I'll pass on word to my friends, but I somehow doubt they'll start to enjoy their period, as Angel on the Mooncup site suggests.

Honoured Mook

Date:

It sounds a bit strange to me.

I dunno, I don't really like the idea of "emptying" it out and then probably giving it a rinse or something before you stick it back in.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I have actually tried the mooncup. My experience of it was that sticking it in was as unlovely as putting in a tampon, but once it was in, it felt invisible. It was also completely secure and non-leaky which I found a massive bonus for two reasons: (1) going to sleep and waking up with clean sheets, and (2) knowing I'd be rock-solid for martial arts classes, where I had to wear a white karate suit at the time.

This may sound a little freakish but it did actually feel warm and cosy to see all your blood collected into a little cup and wash it out and stuff.

The reason I personally stopped using it was that and nasty little abrasion was found on the inner lining of a bit leading up to my womb and this was treated so it wouldn't turn into a cyst, and I was told I would have to take better care of myself in a million different ways. Ho-hum. So, although there was nothing to suggest it was a bad idea, I decided to stick with tampons. If there's an abrasion inside me I want to make sure my blood flow hangs around as little as possible, and the mooncup gave me too much confidence that I could leave it in that bit longer - in my case, I thought I'd be safer going with tampons which I'd have to replace more often.

Okay, anyone who didn't want to hear that can uncover their ears now!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Magda Mookychick wrote:

Okay, anyone who didn't want to hear that can uncover their ears now!

A little late, but ah well.

Did the mooncup itself cause the abrasion, by any chance?

Regular Crew

Date:

Gotta admit,I like the sound of it. Itll save me money in the long term (which,hell,I need!) and i guess its better than flushing tampons down the loo,and throwing away all the packaging.

I write on here (sometimes!)

Lush Guru

Date:

See that's what I mean, I can't flush tampons/pads down the loo where I live (specifically against site rules) and I do find tampons uncomfortable but I will be using a lot of public loos (school) so does it HAVE to be rinsed? Cos I mean, I don't really fancy having to go out, facing other people, and then having to go back in and having people know.

I don't like the idea of people knowing what I'm doing.

Honoured Mook

Date:

You have to rinse it out, yeah, otherwise you'll be putting a dirty one back in.

You can rinse it out with a bottle of water or whatever in the cubicle, put it back in, flush and be on your way- just be certain to give it a more proper clean once you get home.

Honoured Mook

Date:

It's not dirty, it's just been used.  You took it out, you can pop it back in.  It hasn't suddenly got smothered with bacteria

When I was at university and very right on, I saw a sign in the toilets saying 'Please put soiled sanitary towels in the receptacle provided' and I crossed out 'soiled' and wrote 'used' and I felt very proper and political.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Can't say I have . . . well I can't say I've tried any femenine hygeine product for that matter . . . but it seems like a really cool, enviromentally friendly alternative to tampons. I belive Mookychick did an article on it monts back. You could go and check.

Lush Guru

Date:

I've read up a fair bit on it, but it's all about what it is and how it's used and how environmentally friendly it is, and I get that but I want people's actual experiences, and I've only found one.

Baby Mook

Date:

I've looked on the website too cause I was skeptical but I found it very interesting. I highly dislike tampons for the comfort reason alone but feel this is better. I'm interested in getting one myself. It should not cause any abrasions. Also if you feel uncomfortable with rinsing it out in front of people buy 2. Wipe the used one off and wash it later.

Baby Mook

Date:

I watched something on TV with a woman who used mooncup and she found it painful to put in and out. And it looked a bit... uggh...
To be honest, i prefer sticking with towels so i know its clean and stuff. I don't like the idea of sticking something foreign 'up there' as it were. And the whole cleaning it thing, i understand your concerns.
However, it is better for the enviroment i guess and may be easier for you but for me, i'll be sticking with the norm for now. Let me know how you get on if you decide to use the mooncup.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Mooncup

Has anyone used one, wwhat did they think?

I know there was a thread about this some time back but thought I would ask as well as it was some time ago and maybe a few more people here have used one? I'm seriously thinking about it as it seems like a damn good idea, especially from an environmental point of view, currently I use recycled cotton tampons but this seems one step better....

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I used one and the only reason I stopped was becuase I have a tiny little abrasion on my cervix which means it wouldn't be a good idea for me.

However, I found it very easy and safe to use, I felt holy from all the landfill I wasn't creating, and I had no problem doing aikido in my nice white suit - and it also took away the occasional problem of worrying about leaks in the night time.

That's my two pence worth!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

I've never used one, but I think it's a neat idea.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have been using one for a few years now and it's one of the best things I've ever done. It's really easy to use, and of course theres the environmental factor as well as the fact that you're also saving a lot of money! Go for it!

Check out my show:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PigtailsAndArmyBoots

and my blog

http://djmoonlightmusic.blogspot.com

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Has anyone

Wow, it sounds excellent to me. I despise pads even more than I hate tampons. Do you think they have them in Australia? I haven't seen them, but you never know. There might be some Aussie girls here who work in chemists or supermarkets who have been keeping them a secret for some reason...maybe it's so they can still have the repeat customers for pads and tampons, rather than people who come and go for "mooncups" every couple of years..

Honoured Mook

Date:

I saw a commercial for that.........it looked scary.........
i was confuzzled my it...........

Honoured Mook

Date:

I dunno. The though of having to clean it and not really knowing how much bacteria I'm collecting from the air before I put it back in just creeps me out a little bit (I'm doing microbiology for my bio unit at the moment, lol). I think I'll stick with my clean, secure, in-the-air-for-a-very-small-amount-of-time-before-I-use-them tampons.

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

MookyDuchess

Date:

I honestly cannot think of any other way to put this, so...

How much bacteria do you think is on your boyfriend's dick? Or does that need to be stored in an airtight bag before insertion too?

See my pictures at this site.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

LOL well said!

Honoured Mook

Date:

LOL Kitty. That makes for an interesting concept..................
Seeing as I'm not sexually active yet, I'll continue to be creeped out by the mooncup and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

MookyDuchess

Date:

I get very annoyed by people worrying about bacteria, to the extreme we do nowdays. Obviously bacteria can do damage, but it can't be that bad, otherwise we would have all died out centuries ago...

See my pictures at this site.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Mooncup

Or use a condom because that's been in a little clean packet.
I don't like it when people stop their children from playing because of worrying about bacteria.
I have heard about the mooncup but didn't know exactly what it's all about.
I have been on the pill of a while and have very very light periods but with a hell of a lot of mood swings. Just last month have stopped taking pill to see if it will help my moods. Nothing has changed as yet but we will see if I cry the entire time my period is around. I don't like not knowing exactly when my period will come though.
I don't think I would be good with mooncup because I use towels and am fine with that. I would be always wondering when would be time to empty cup and then if I took it out and put it in too much I think that would be a bad thing for my floo (sorry but I am one for giving strange names to my genitals) because yes I think you would be putting bacteria in there which could be avoided. I dislike to disrupt the happy balance my floo has.
xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think the thing with mooncups is that you can generally avoid the embarrassment of having to wash them out in public because you can leave them in for much longer than your average tempon...about 12 hours, I think.

I don't have one, but I've heard nothing but good of them and I'm seriously considering getting one because I can't stand the idea of the disposability of tampons and pads and what that must be donig to the environment.

Lush Guru

Date:

I think when I have periods again I'll start thinking properly about the mooncup. I've heard good things though, so it's definitely an interesting option.

Regular Crew

Date:

Hello,
Kinda new to this discussion, but when it comes to changing in public loos, couldn't you just keep a pair of re useable plastic gloves in the handbag at all times (useful for all sorts of things, and most packs of hair dye supply them in a hand li'l cylinder), nip into the loo when you didn't actually have to go, and holding the mooncup in a gloved hand, flush the loo over it? Voila, cleaning problem solved! Must try this next month...(yeah, TMI, I know.)

Honoured Mook

Date:

But what do you do with the glove afterwards?

and oh yes, are you really sure the water flushing out of public loos is actually clean... I wouldn't want it anywhere near my nether regions

-- Edited by Titus Rage at 20:37, 2008-08-21

Honoured Mook

Date:

A bit gross but does anyone know if mooncups are less leaky than tampons? And what happens when you sneeze, because I have discovered every muscle in your body contracts... I'd hate to spend 20 and inevitably get a dodgy look from the person behind the counter or try to avoid explaining what it is i've bought online to dad, only to find I have the same problems as I do which means I have to use tampons and pads.

I'm an expresso-some people think I'm bitter, but I'm just intense

1 2 37  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us