Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Anyone know any lesbian/bi/gay teen books? Or just any good teen books, for that matter

Baby Mook

Date:
RE: Anyone know any lesbian/bi/gay teen books? Or just any good teen books, for that matter

LOVE her work :) very nice light read when I cant be bothered to read a thesis on water quality in Gaza FML

my own suggestions are Pages for You (classic techer/student lesbian romance- one I can relate to at that), Orlando- Virginia Woolf, Rubyfruit Jungle and what I believe is Haruki Murakami's most underrated novel- Sputnik Sweetheart. Let me know if you check any of them out or found something interesting :)

shallow graves for shallow people

Honoured Mook

Date:

Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. That does have straightness but there is and awful lot of gay too!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Claire Hennesy's "Good Girl's Don't" and "Stereotype" are good. They're both about a bunch of Irish teenagers in secondary school dealing with alcohol abuse, sexuality, the whole thing - except when I read them, I identified with them so much, they were really realistic. Brilliant, but the only problem was they didn't have a satisfying ending. Not bad, but just unsatisfying.

Previously known as "maria"

Pope Arlenmia's Humble Bishop Hat-Maker

my bookface

Honoured Mook

Date:

Witch Child and Pirates! by Ceilia Rees are good. They have very strong female characters in them (though neither have gay/lesbian characters in them. Just young women who like to break men's noses. Yes.)

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

tammycuteness wrote:

You know what I'd like to see? A book that has a gay/lesbian couple, but that's NOT what the story is about. It's just a fact of the characters life. I think it would be good if homosexuality was seen as more of a normal thing, rather than an 'issue'. Do you know what I mean?

I'm pretty sure I've read some books like that. I particularly remember a crime series I used to read when I was a teen. The female protagonist lived with her girlfriend, but it was never made out to be a big deal. The girlfriend was just there in the background doing the stuff that police detective's wives do in crime novels.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ash by Malinda Lo (my review) is a retelling of Cinderella with a lesbian relationship. It's not at all issue-y, gay relationships are pretty normal in the world of the book.

These are more issue-y, but I also recommend Julie Anne Peters' short story collection grl2grl (my review), Empress of the World by Sara Ryan (my review) and most of all, Dramarama by E. Lockhart (review)!

All of them are about gay girls except for Dramarama, where the narrator is straight but her best friend is gay. They go to drama camp together and many adventures follow.

-- Edited by ladyjulianne on Saturday 24th of November 2012 09:35:36 PM

Regular Crew

Date:

I haven't read it but Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan sounds very good.

Strange how the one that taught me how to love also taught me how to die.

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Thursday 18th of April 2013 10:34:25 PM

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

secretagentrocky wrote:

Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. That does have straightness but there is and awful lot of gay too!

I was about to suggest that one. :D I just finished it, and it's really good.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us