Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Bleach - what it is and how to use it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Bleach - what it is and how to use it.

Your hair is probably quite dry (I don't know because I can't feel it but if you've been bleaching it then I'll guess it is) so it is more easily stained than hair in good condition.

To fix your hair, depending on how badly damaged it is, you need to rebuild the cortex - restructuring shampoos do this. Then conditioning treatments to help the cuticle layer. Deep conditioning treatments once or twice a week, regular moisturising conditioner after shampooing every time you wash your hair. Oils will also be good for your hair.

Go and get a haircut. Get the damage assessed by a professional and get regular trims to help make your hair look more healthy. I'll guess that it's pretty easy to snap your hair off as well so until it's grown out and cut off there isn't much you can do for that level of damage. The above suggestion will help keep the rest of your hair in good condition though.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

thankyou so much :Di just went to the hair dressers as i saidon my thread thing :D and canyou recommend any products thatyou think would be good? aww

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Did your hairdresser not recommend anything? What did they use for your conditioning treatment. I personally like the LOreal professional products but there are loads of professional ranges that are all as good as each other.

Regular Crew

Date:

I'd love to use a little bleach to lighten my hair, as it's sort of dishwater blonde just now. I've used red henna before, but it was a good 6 or 7 months ago, and I'm pretty certain it's long gone from my hair. The attendants at boots recommended I check with my hair-dresser, but I'm too skint for a visit just now. There's no tinge of the ginge left, but I'm till unsure if bleaching is a good idea as I don't know how long henna hangs around for. Any advice?

Baby Mook

Date:

Ok I have had my hair black for about three years, dying it repeatedly and have now decided I want to go blonde! I know it's a bit dodgy but I really want to! What strength bleach should I use and where from?? My hair is also quite long (just past my boobs) will it snap? :S help please!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You will not be able to go blonde in one go. Your hair will have so much build up on it (average of once a month over three years, you'll have about 36 applications of colour) that I'd recommend getting it professionally cleansed.

Bleaching it will probably be unlikely to lift it to anything more than a dark brown (if at all) and multiple bleaching WILL cause it to either snap or become reeeaally stretchy and like chewing gum.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Rho wrote:

I'd love to use a little bleach to lighten my hair, as it's sort of dishwater blonde just now. I've used red henna before, but it was a good 6 or 7 months ago, and I'm pretty certain it's long gone from my hair. The attendants at boots recommended I check with my hair-dresser, but I'm too skint for a visit just now. There's no tinge of the ginge left, but I'm till unsure if bleaching is a good idea as I don't know how long henna hangs around for. Any advice?

Unless your hair is only about 3-4 inches long (grows about half an inch a month so any new growth won't have henna on it) then there might still be traces of the henna on it.  The Boots assistant did the right thing in recommending you check with a hairdresser.  You need an incompatability test done and the hairdresser to check the condition of your hair.

Baby Mook

Date:

Thanks very much!! I might grow it out for a while till it is back to my natural mousy brown colour. I'll feel mean to my hair otherwise haha!!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Hey Spikey... I just wanted to ask about pre-lighteners. How much peroxide / bleach do they contain? How do they work?
smile

Oh and lowlights? Are they just normal dye? Will they fade if I use a clarifying shampoo?

Edited to add another question.

-- Edited by Arlenmia on Saturday 15th of January 2011 04:26:04 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Pre-lighteners are like bleach but they are a bit more gentle on the hair. You mix them according to the instructions for how much peroxide:lightener to use. They work in pretty much the same way as bleach powder, lifting your hair through the different levels to get to blonde.

Lowlights are just like highlights but using a colour that's darker than the overall colour (whether that be your natural shade or an artificial colour). Just use normal permanent colours for that. Clarifying shampoo will fade them but a good colour protection shampoo used alongside that and a colour protection conditioner should help the colour to last.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thank you aww

Honoured Mook

Date:

Quick question: I have some 40 volume peroxide that I got in a highlight kit but I want to bleach my fringe and a side bit so I can dye them pink. I have naturally honey blonde should I use 30 volume instead?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah, 40vol will be too strong. 30 vol will take a little bit longer but it'll lift it up.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I've looked through and couldn't find anything concerning bleaching roots.
I have my fringe and a few strands at the front of my hair bleached and coloured, but now my roots have grown very long. I've left it as long as I can but it really needs bleaching now.
How do I go about it? If I have to leave an inch away from the scalp and also not get it onto the already bleached hair then I won't have much space to work with. Also how do I stop the bleach going on the the already bleached hair when I'm putting it on layers above? Will it not touch and then transfer onto the hair?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If you have bleach that's suitable for scalp application then for the roots you just apply it to the regrowth area.  It will slightly overlap and it will touch the scalp.

Don't use 40 vol peroxide on the scalp though.  30 vol is fine because the scalp is warm and will speed up the lightening. 

You have to work through the hair in fine sections to make sure it all gets covered.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I just realised I forgot to thank you for the advice :D
It worked and my hair went blonde but sadly the purple dye hasn't taken to my hair as much as it did before, so now it's a silver colour. I'm guessing it's because the other hair has a build up of many different colours that were on it before the purple.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Your hair might be very porous which would mean the colour wouldn't take very well. What purple did you use?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well the hair that is very purple has been dyed many many times so in theory that should be the one with less colour not the fresher hair. I'll try dying it again soon to see if the colour takes to it better a second time.
It's stargazer which I know isn't a great brand but it seems to have worked in the past.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Sometimes hair just does funny things. Colour build up damages the hair as well so make sure you condition your hair really well after colouring and when you wash your hair.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I didn't want to start a new thread but I have a sort-of related question. I've been reading online that Loreal Majicontrast is great, you don't need to pre bleach, you just add some 30 vol peroxide, mix and apply. It's a professional product but I found it on ebay ...I want to use Magenta over my faded dark red. Do you think this will work alright Spikey? Too broke for the hairdresser's!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'll come back to this tomorrow but I'm pretty sure majicontrast isn't designed for full head application (supposed to be done in foils) but I'll double-check my stuff and give you an answer.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Oh, just a thing I learned from a henna forum - Apparently bleaching over pure henna doesn't hurt the hair or turn it green or anything, it just isn't likely to go yellow/white, just lighter orange. It's bleaching over hendigo/indigo that is problematic, and over impure henna.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Majicontrast - designed to be used under heat to colour dark and coloured hair in 15 minutes. It's not designed for full head application. And it's not as easy as just mix it with 30vol and slap it on - natural hair doesn't need as high vol of peroxide (root area) and the colour might only need 20vol.

Having checked out your link to eBay - that looks like old packaging, the name Majicontrast doesn't have a dot in the middle anymore and I've been using majicontrast for 2 years now and I've not seen that. I had a look at the USA L'Oreal website and the packaging for that looks the same as the UK - I'm pretty sure L'Oreal are one of those companies that has the same branding worldwide. I reckon that company sells end of line stock. I don't think colour has an expiration date (certainly not that I can see on any of the tubes I have at home) but I'd be wary about using something so old. The active ingredients might not be as active.

They are selling those tubes at less than trade price (costs me about £7 for a tube) so it's definitely ringing bells in my head that they aren't selling with L'Oreal knowing about it. I've emailed L'Oreal to make them aware.

At the end of the day, it's up to you what you do but having a colour corrected by a hairdresser is much more expensive than just getting it done properly in the first place. If you're looking to brighten up your hair then I'd suggest just getting a tub of Directions semi-permanent and use that. Mix some in with your shampoo when you wash your hair and that will help it last longer.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That sounds a bit dodgy alright, thanks for checking it out :)

I don't really trust myself with getting the peroxide vol right. Did sound too good to be true, I'll stick with my SFX!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Just thought I'd let you know that L'Oreal emailed me back...

Thank you for your interest in L'Oréal Professionnel and for taking the time to contact us about your concerns regarding professional products sold to the general public.

It is our business decision to sell our products only through distributors and salons by professionals who can offer advice on selecting the best products to meet your needs. These professionals also help to ensure that the customer receives fresh product that meets our quality standards.

Unfortunately, some products are diverted outside our normal distribution channels. We take this diversion issue very seriously. We have in the past terminated, and will continue to terminate, relationships with those businesses that are selling the products into the gray market to unauthorized retailers.

We employ systems to assist us in tracking and dealing with these unethical practices. We continue to invest in technologies that will improve this ability to find these diverters.

To report L'Oréal Professionnel products for sale outside a salon, please e-mail nodivert@aol.com with the city, state and name of the location where you saw the products. You may also call 1-800-503-3997 to report diversion.

Our diversion department may not send you a reply but please be assured this information is valuable to our company and will be handled by the appropriate individual.

We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us regarding this issue.

Regular Crew

Date:

I have a question, but I don't want to start a new thread about it so I thought I'd post it here (sorry if the background on this is a bit long).

Alright, so I used to dye my hair a lot, mostly black, red or brown. I decided last year that I wanted to go blonde, so I went to the hairdresser. 2 lots of foils and a full head of bleach later and it's sort of a medium honey blonde. I've been getting my roots done with a tint instead of bleach ever since, but it's not really quite the same colour as the bleached hair, so I wanted to get it fully bleached again and get highlights and lowlights put in.

Would the hairdresser be able to do this in one go, or would I have to get it bleached and then come back for a second appointment? (FYI, my hair is very curly, but it's in great condition as I never straighten or blowdry it and use a conditioning treatment once a week and leave in conditioner every day).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If your avatar is your current hair colour I would say the hairdresser should be able to use that as the lowlight colour and just do back-to-back foils with bleach, there would be no point in bleaching your whole head to then go back in and re-colour to something similar to what you have for the lowlights. It would just be a waste of time and money.

If she did fairly chunky weaves in the foils then you'd get a lot of bleached hair.

Maintenance on it would involve getting the roots bleached every 6 weeks or so, wouldn't have to redo the lengths cos they're already bleached.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yesterday, after a long debate with myself, I decided to go out and get some pretty dye (at the moment, my hair is blue-y black!) and bleach. I did a skin test, and while it was a teensy bit itchy, when I washed it off after 45mins, it stopped. I haven't come out in a rash at all, but it did have the mini-reaction before. Just wondering, am I allergic, or should I take the plunge and not be so neurotic? XD

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What did you skin test with; the bleach or the dye?

What is it you're wanting to do? How many times have you put the black on your hair? What products have you bought?

Honoured Mook

Date:

I tested with the powder and a cream - so presumably the bleach. I wanted to lighten my hair enough to dye it a bright red colour! I used Garnier Blueberry Black twice, and before that nothing.

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us