Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Bleach - what it is and how to use it.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: bleach and drastic dye job

Georgiegirl, remember that red hair dye is one of the fastest to fade, I'm not entirely sure why, something about pigments, but it will pretty much always fade faster than any other colour. (annoying, huh.) In terms of bleaching, I would say that if you used 30 vol maybe twice that should do it. If your hair has never been bleached before, it shouldn't react to badly, so long as you wash it off after half an hour. No longer.

It might help us if you posted a picture of what colour your hair is now, so we know how dark it is?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't think you should bleach your hair twice =/

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Don't bleach hair that's already bleached!

Read my topic

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wait... so you don't have to bleach your hair to white blonde for dye to take?

You say you want to live in the darkness?
~ Tumblr! ~

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ No. But if you want a very light and bright colour you have to belach it almost white to get a nice result.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Bleach - what it is and how to use it.

Never dyed my hair. My mum is totally against bleach.
Does going from light-ish mid-ish brown to green work without bleaching?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

hmmm....green and blue are sometimes a bit temperamental and tend to be the quickest to fade. If you want it vibrant then your best bet is going to probably be to bleach it even just with shampoo mixed with a low volume of peroxide.

Why is your mum against bleach? Does she think all your hair will fall out?

If ever in doubt about bleach, go to a professional and at least then you have some recourse if it does actually go horribly wrong.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Well, I'm getting my hair cut soon, so I could ask the hairdresser about it while I'm there.

My mum just thinks it's going to damage my hair. I know it probably will damage it, but if it was going to be really serious people wouldn't do it.

I'm going to try wash-in/wash-out stuff first though (at the start of a weekend so I can wash it out in time for school!) just to see if I really want to go the whole way with dying my hair.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Does anyone has any idea what volume of peroxide I should use to get rid of Ginger? I've been told red is the hardest to get rid of, which is weird.

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Embrace your ginge!!!!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I was going to! I was going to try blonde or white, then if it is really ugly I was going to dye it either deep red or grey+blue.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I assume you mean natural ginger...I'm not totally sure, I'll do some investigating and get back to you.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

*I need to stop doing a tiny bit of my project then facebooking and mookying for ages*

This is what I can find with regards to bleaching red/ginger hair as found via a google search:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hairstyling-1565/bleaching-red-hair.htm

"Red hair is pretty much impossible to really bleach blonde. It usually always goes brassy or orange, and in the rare case that it does go a nice shade of blonde, the hair is fried beyond belief. Redheads tend to have dryer hair than most others to start with, and bleaching it just intensifies this. I would recommend getting a full head of foils instead. It will be slightly darker than bleaching your whole head, but it is much safer and healthier for your hair.

Regardless of what you decide to do, go to a stylist. Do not try anything at home. The last thing you want is a handful of broken hair!"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you Spikey. I might go and ask my hairdresser, because my hair is obviously different, it's really nice and moist, not dry at all.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Does the same apply to hair that has been dyed bright rainbow red and faded to ginger? I'm naturally quite dark brown..

The more seeds you plant, the more flowers will grow.
Size Matters - Natasha Bedingfield
Tumblr & Twitter

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

RighRelentless wrote:

Does the same apply to hair that has been dyed bright rainbow red and faded to ginger? I'm naturally quite dark brown..

No.  The problem with naturally red hair is that it is slightly different in texture to blonde or brunette.  Hair that has been coloured red but is naturally brown should bleach fine.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Would a hairdresser do it, or would they be all 'no no bad, it'll wreck your hair'?
I'd rather they did it for me if I go pink again, I didn't enjoy doing it myself at all last time...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It would probably depend how experienced they are and what kind of condition your hair is in whether they would do it.

There are professional tints that are designed to lighten your hair so they might use that instead...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Pretty please bleach my hair if you ever come to Leeds! Last time I tried it turned into chewing gum, and then half of it snapped off. I'm really bad at lightening my hair.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to start a little map with pins in it of everyone on here who's hair I've to do! hehehe!

Regular Crew

Date:

When applying bleach, I've heard, from a few experienced bleachers, that to avoid ruining your future hair and scalp, you bleach the main hair (About 1 inch away frmo your scalp and out) first. Then about halfway through the bleaching, you apply the bleach to the remaining 1 inch. Because of the heat near the scalp, you'll fry your roots, resulting in thin hair and irritated skin, if left there from the beginning. Have you ever heard of this?

I'm not a bleacher myself, have been researching it though through the last 2 years, so I might bleach my hair in the future :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah. It tells you to do that in the instructions on most bleaching products I think.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Regular Crew

Date:

But how come hairdressers bleach from the roots to the tips then? :/ Many say I should get it done at a hairdresser's, but with a really sensitive scalp I'm considering not to do so. Is that wrong of me? :/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am not a hairdresser and I've never had my hair bleached by one either (aside from streaks and they didn't work right up to the root) so I wouldn't know. Maybe it differs from hairdresser to hairdresser, and maybe it has something to do with the stuff that hairdressers use being different to what we can buy in the shops? I don't know! Maybe Emma will know!

Edit: If you have a sensitive scalp all you need to do is tell your hairdresser and they should be careful with whatever they do, or they might recommend something different. They won't chase you out of the shop!

-- Edited by Picklechops on Monday 21st of June 2010 05:30:43 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Very true that the heat from your scalp speeds up the bleaching.

If you have colour on your hair then you bleach that first then the roots otherwise you'll get really bright roots which will affect the colour going on top of it resulting in "root glow".

If you're having bleach done in foils for highlights it just gets applied all the way down the hair in one go.

I've looked up my never-helpful textbook and it has failed me yet again.

I'm going to take a guess, don't quote me on this, and say that a professional hairdresser can apply bleach a lot quicker than someone at home doing it themselves. They also might start at the back of the head and finish at the top so the time difference for the root area would be negligible.

If you have a sensitive scalp you either shouldn't use bleach at all (get full-head foil highlights instead if you really want your hair lightened) or look for ones that say they are suitable for use on the scalp. I'd definitely recommend NOT bleaching it yourself if you have a sensitive scalp or are in any way unsure of which bleach to use.

Baby Mook

Date:

I found this thread very informative ... thank you ...

-- Edited by DesignBaker on Saturday 10th of July 2010 08:12:33 PM

Regular Crew

Date:

Random story , i was getting highlights done , we used bleach and it didnt come out as expected .. as it came out white, and because my lovely long locks were dark brown, it looked like i had lots of grey hair! I was teased so much at school lol that was my hair nightmare ... with bleach. BYE!

" Let's not fight, let's unite. We are birds of a feather. Let's stick together "

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Can I use this to bleach my hair with? http://www.superdrug.com/invt/398545
I don't want to go blonde, it's just to pre lighten it so I can put a red/pink colour over the top. My natural hair is brown and it's got a horrible faded ginger colour in it at the moment.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never used it and know nothing about it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

THANKYOU!! i know understand the levels of peroxide!! and why i can never sucessfully bleach my hair!! :D its always going orange! atthe moment my hairis yellow because i had dyedmy unnatral blond hair multipledifferent semi perminatcolour but im stillnotsure why it wouldnt go away?!?!? does anyone know?

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us