Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Hair Care Lair - Where even more hair related threads will come to dye...

Lush Guru

Date:
RE: Hair Care Lair - Where even more hair related threads will come to dye...

Yeah it's all vegan, which is ace! Even the mascara, and powder. Woo wooo woooo!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Oh, that's great! Yay!

Did you find out whether you can order things for me? If so, PM me with some bank or PayPal details, let me know how much I owe, and I'll send the money to you :).

xxx Eve

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a question!

Now it isn't a massive deal if this doesn't work but I'm a wee bit bored with my hair at the moment, length wise but I've spent the past 4 years growing my hair and it's at the stage where it isn't mega long but it's definitely not short.
So to ease my itchy scissor fingers I was thinking about attempting to bleach a bit of my hair to break up the solid colour, however, I have been hennaing my hair for 18 months (Lush henna), so I know it's not going to go platinum blonde (I'm aiming for a more yellowy shade anyway).

Basically, do you think it'd work or would it just be totally unnecessary damage?

Forget the horror here.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I've bleached over faded Lush henna before and it's gone to orange/yellow, but it did fry my hair a bit. However, obvs everyone's hair's different, I'd DEFINITELY recommend doing a strand test - you don't want to melt your hair. I'd say maybe just bleach the ends so you can have a dip dye thing going on?

-- Edited by Antonym on Friday 16th of May 2014 09:37:54 PM

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I have a plan for my hair, but is it a sound one?

My hair right now: long, mostly virgin dark brown with a natural white stripe, but with tips bleached brassy from a bottle and some sunbleached streaks from last summer all over.

Goal: Dark purple hair with the natural white stripe intact. Must be mostly washed out by summer because of my job. I also want to get rid of the "blonde" parts of my hair.

How I plan to to do it: Semipermanent purple dye all over without pre-bleaching.

The worst case scenario here is that the greying parts of my hair goes lavender and stays that way until I cut it off. But semi-permanent dye dosen't stick well to unbleached white hair, does it?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Semi-permanent purple will likely just look grey over the dark brown. You would probably be quicker and easier going for a permanent purple, something with a base colour near your own natural base, then colouring it back to your "natural" shade when you need it to be not purple.

On the white and blonde bits you would be best putting a red semi-permanent on before the purple to give more depth to the hair otherwise the purple would look really bright on those bits or potentially look quite muddy because the hair is too light under the dye.

Date:

Actually, the hair looking grey is even better than it being purple, so that is great news. I just didn't think that grey hair was possible. But you say that the naturally white hair will absorb colour? That is bad news indeed, I don't want to risk that. Both me and several hairdressers have tried to get there with bleach and whitening and the conclusion is that the only thing that will give me long white hair is age.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The naturally white bit I was meaning if you used permanent colour you would have to put red on first. Naturally white hair is a bit of an arse and can be hit or miss really. It can stain easily or it can be really resistant and just not take colour at all!

Date:

Ah, ok strand test i is then and if the white hair stays white I'll give it a try. Thank you Emma, you're the best!

Date:

The strand test turned out really great, a nice "natural" looking purple. Judging by the lock I used, my hair will look like it is the dark purple hair of an alien who have been exposed to solar rays and gotten bleached to various shades of brighter purple in places.

However, the white hair stains easily. It looks great, and I'm tempted to give it a go and then just dye everything brown in summer as Emma suggested. But then I won't get my white stripes back until I grow them back -that means two years to get it back to where it is now. Decisions... Decisions....

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Irilar, is there any way you could separate the white stripe from the hair you dye with some tin foil, or something along those lines? My boyfriend's sister had a really good white natural sorceress stripe and that's what she used to do when dyeing the rest of her hair (admittedly she did it via a hairdresser for really professional results), but maybe it also depends if your own stripe is an easily separable block or not?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Date:

I feel like such a fool for not thinking of that myself Magda! It is indeed in an easily separable block. Thank you!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Got a bit of a question for anyone who's bleached over henna.
I have used 3 hair dye removers to fade my henna to a light ginger shade and I've had part of my head shaved which is showing my natural blonde and the contrast is ridiculous, so I was wondering if I'd be able to bleach what is left of the henna and then tone it to white/very light blonde.

-- Edited by marthamagic on Thursday 21st of January 2016 01:06:53 PM

Forget the horror here.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Mooks! My hair is growing out from shaved & recently I found that curling itna bit makes it look less hideous in this inbetween stage. My hair reaaaally doesn't hold styling well at all though (hairdressers have remarked & explained why but I can't remember the reason...).

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good styling products? I've tried a few hairsprays & gels, haven't experimented all that much though. I really want to keep a kind of fluffy look but still with some staying power, especially with the intense wind London has been getting!

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Lush Guru

Date:

^^Something more like a clay? VO5 do some good 'texturising pastes' or whatever, and they all smell really good too. They're matte clay is thicker/stiffer, but there's a more flexible one too.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us