Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Hair Care Lair - Where even more hair related threads will come to dye...

Regular Crew

Date:
Black to blonde hair, oh my!

Has anyone managed to actually bleach/dye their hair from black to blonde successfully? I'm naturally medium blonde,have dyed black hairand I want to make my hair go platinum blonde/white.
I've bleached my hair before, and it wasn't very good.. so can anyone give me advice on how to do this? I've heard of toner.. but don't really know what it is or where to get it. I justwant advice before I put lots of chemicals on my head.

Please don't come here to lecture me about how it will damage my hair, I am aware of this. Also I'm not getting it done professionally because the last hairdresser I went to mocked my haircut and told me it would cost 500 for him to even think about doing it.. I've been dying my hair for years and its fine.
(I know theres an article, I just didn't find it very helpful. I'd rather hear from people who've done it)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes, and as I've said before, it's achievable but it's incredibly damaging and takes a very long. This process should only be done once and never again, or at the very least you should wait a couple of years.
Another thing I should stress, is that if you're not happy with the outcome, you SHOULD NOT go back to black. The likelyhood is it will not work properly.

Okay, so first you start with bleaching your with a volume 30 bleach, not 40 as it will really damage your hair. At the very best, it will turn your hair a light or neon orange, at the very worst, a dark orange, mucky brown. This is fine.

Wait 5-6 weeks for the natural oils to come back and restore your hairs condition. Indulge in hair masks, conditioners, and right now, the best I've seen in the market in terms of shampoos and conditioner for blonde hair on a budget is Nivea Brilliant Blonde. This lightens your hair with frequent usage.

Then, when you feel the damage has pretty much gone and you have some root growth, you can bleach your hair once more, this will turn it either semi-blonde or light orange.
This is what the toner comes in for. It neutralises the orange and makes it blonder. They are dyes, but should contain no ammonia. I'm currently using the vegetable ice-white dyes. Manic Panic and Special effects have them, but where I'm from, I use Movie Colours.
Because theyre not so damaging, you can use them every 2-3 weeks.

If I'm right, one more bleaching process should do the job.

You're lucky, because you have medium blonde hair, and so root touchup should not be a problem. But I do insist, to use the blonde shampoos and condition your hair as much as humanly possible, as well as going in for a trim after the whole process is done (and when the stylist will not mock you for having ruddy brown hair).

Hope I helped!

Regular Crew

Date:

hey, i am currently undergoing the change from black to blonde, right now i have jsut been highlighting like crazy and i used my moms stuff (that she insisted i use) and it turned out orangey. i don't know what to do and my boyfriend is getting mad at me for dying my hair so much. I just want to dye it blonde and get it over with!
1 2

-- Edited by poopypants at 08:22, 2009-01-09

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

I can't offer advice on this thread, but, Poopypants, could you please post links to your wonderful pictures, and not full blown images, as there have been problems with the servers as of late and we don't want to lose our wonderful Mookychicks :)

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Regular Crew

Date:

I am undergoing the dying process right now! wish me luck

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Poopypants, I am wishing you luck!

Victorian Nightmares, if you go to the Mookychick Myspace and scroll down to the comment from GodIsMyStrength, you'll see she followed the guidelines in the how to dye black hair blonde article and posted before and after pics in her comment so that other people could judge for themselves. She seems to have found the advocation of using afro-carribean products of particular interest...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Regular Crew

Date:

Thanks!
I died it to a strawberry blonde and am on what I am hoping is my last bleach. I switched over to a bleach that showed the darker blonde turning white, so i am hoping i get close to bleach blonde. Then I will post pictures!

EDIT:
It turned out sunshiney blonde with some platinum so I am going for one more bleach and then calling it quits.

-- Edited by poopypants at 17:21, 2009-01-09

Regular Crew

Date:

ok it's very sunshiney! but it's better than orange i guess..

does yellowness/brassiness go away with time? I heard it does after several washes.

-- Edited by poopypants at 21:46, 2009-01-09

Regular Crew

Date:

Thanks for the help everyone, I found your comment really helpful starsfade, I'm going to buy some of the shampoo you mentioned tomorrow. I bleached it once tonight.. some areas are my perfect colour and others are very light strawberry blonde! It's all different colours! xD

I found an ash toner in town on sale for 1, which was lucky. So I plan to use it tomorrow.
Will using a toner help make the colour more even?

Regular Crew

Date:

my hair turned a yellow color, but i fixed it really easily by using an ash toner, it turned my yellows into subtle brown tones and my hair looks great. (it looked awful yellow) if this happens to you use a violet based toner and it will do the trick.

Regular Crew

Date:

My results:
Before toner: 1
After: 2

-- Edited by poopypants at 19:27, 2009-01-10

Regular Crew

Date:

i dyed my hair from black to white blonde in the space of one day, do not make the same mistake i did! haha, all my hair fried and got frazzled and i had to cut LOADS of it off a few months ago i went back to black and the majority of my hair is all extensions..if you're gonna do your hair from black to blonde leave a reasonable amount of time imbetween the dying, even though i dont think anyone here is as stupid as i was to do what i did!

Regular Crew

Date:

I bleached my hair a few times over the space of a week. Mines all fried too, but I'm using intensive conditioners every other day. I'm doing it white on Saturday because I've decided that blonde is too yellow for my liking! I cut lots of mine too, which is irritating because I was *trying* to grow it long.
Poopypants - Your hair looks so cute! Mine went exactly the same, except the toner didn't work so I just used a light blonde hair dye. And your hair doesn't look damaged (unlike mine!!)

Regular Crew

Date:

i still am not happy with it, so i am getting it professionally fixed, i am just going for a natural blond. I deep conditioned my hair ALOT.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Noone listened to a thing I said...

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

And they paid the price too..

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

starsfade wrote:

Noone listened to a thing I said...

People are too impatient to listen you your sensible 'wait 5-6 weeks' advice. They want blonde hair, and they want it now, unfortunatly for their poor hair.

Regular Crew

Date:

my hair is fine, and it isn't damaged at all, i am following the site's advice actually, and figured a little proffessional help wouldn't hurt, thanks for the tips though, I am obviously not through, i just did the toner because i couldn't stand the yellow or "pumpkin" that was referred to in the article.

-- Edited by poopypants at 21:15, 2009-01-14

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes, but bleaching obsessively in the space of a week stands the risk of hair loss and even bald spots.

Regular Crew

Date:

Best cure for fried hair = olive oil.

Warm a cup of it up, saturate your hair with it, wrap clingfilm around your head, read a good book for an hour, shampoo it out =) My hair is in almost the same condition than it was before I bleached it.
Although, I agree with everyone that bleaching is bad ect. I'm just not the type of girl who likes to go around with orange hair as I'm far too self conscious.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have fried my hair, I have also spoilt it, I have had any colour anyone could dream of, so from my experience, if you wish to have hair when you're 40, do not bleach it excessively.
I have lost alot of hair due to impatience.
Toners and shampoos and conditioners are perfect for those orange tints. I'm not trying to attack anyone here, but all I'm saying is have patience. If you hate orange hair wear a hat or a hairband for a week or two until the natural oils are restored.
Olive oil works for some, but for me it didn't work. Nothing works better then conditioners, serums, hair masks and such which are designed to treat damaged and coloured hair.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Okai, sidetracking a bit here, but I really agree with starsfade; patience is a huge imperative when doing stuff to your hair.

Sometimes you just need to cover your hair in icky stuff for a whole day, and accept that your hair look like a ugly disaster area for weeks. But if you have to go around in public like this, there is always the turban look. A hair dying girl's best friend. And a cool style anyway. Many people hereabouts wrap various types of scarves around the head also when their hair is looking good.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

Hey!
I'm in a very similar situation. My natural hair colour is light brown / dark blonde - that sort of in-between colour. Anyway, since the middle of May last year I've been dyeing it gradually blonder and blonder, until it was recently almost platinum. So my brain had the genius idea of dyeing it brown. Don't know why, it was an impulsive decision.

So anyway, I dyed it 'brown' and it went BLACK!!! The fact that my hair was so light must have meant the hair grabbed the colour and turned it super-dark. Now I miss my blonde hair!!! I don't know what possessed me and it's a mistake I will definitely NOT be making again!

Anyway, what am I going to do about it? NOTHING!!!!!!!! Luckily my hair is quite short so it won't take long for my natural colour to grow back completely in and then... back to dyeing it blonde! But in the meantime, I'm not going to mess around bleaching it or trying to get the colour out. The way I see it, you basically can't get black out unless you seriously damage your hair and scalp. Having read the recommended waiting time from the wise words of starsfade, my hair would have probably grown so much I would've had most of the black cut out by then anyway!!

What I'm doing is using Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo, and sometimes soap, to wash my hair. It's already produced visible results in taking the edge off the black and making it more brown. But no way am I frazzling my precious hair. I'd rather sit out the waiting time and come out with my scalp and folicles intact, thanks!!!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes, Head & Shoulders is a great colour-stripping shampoo. Soap may dry out your hair though.
If you want to increase root growth, try taking Hair & Nail vitamins, or Pre-Natal vitamins, as well as Karatine.

Regular Crew

Date:

Ok, I know that bleaching over black hair turns it orange, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether red dye would dye over the orange, without having to damage it too much by bleaching it loads?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes, there would be no problem in covering orange with red dye.
Black hair is a very strong colour, one that does not easily go away. Therefore you would need to use a volume 30 bleach to get it at least an orange colour. I don't reccomend volume 40 if you just want to go to red and volume 20 will make it go a mucky brown.
It will just take one dying process.

Regular Crew

Date:

Loves it.

Regular Crew

Date:

Thanks for the tip about the vitamins, starsfade.

Regular Crew

Date:

By the way, guys: I've been using the Head & Shoulders for about a week now, washing my hair every day with it. It's really made a difference. People have even asked me if I've dyed it / had highlights put in. It's gone much, much browner and has a golden sheen to it, presumably from the colour it was before / my natural colour. It's really stripping the colour away, almost to it's original blonde! I did start using it like a day or two after I dyed my hair black so that might be helping, but I really do recommend it if you want to lighten your hair without bleaching. OR, even if you do want to bleach, perhaps it'd be a good idea to use Head & Shoulders (or another anti-dandruff / deep cleansing shampoo) for a week or maybe two and THEN bleach, rather than bleaching it from a really intense black.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Regular Crew

Date:

Which head and shoulders do you use?

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us