Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Make up - All merged Make Up threads will come to live here.

MookyDuchess

Date:
RE: Anyone have any good goth tips?

Back comb your hair. A lot. :)

See my pictures at this site.

Regular Crew

Date:

When i was a goth i just used white or very pale grey eyeshadow, eyeliner in a flick only on the top lashes and a deep lipstain. I think that worked well. It was goth but in a subtle way...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Tip number one: If you intend to "doodle" on your face with eyeliner, start practicing right now as it takes a lot of practice and a very steady hand to get it right. (and when not perfectly done it looks kind of ridiculous)

Generally as far as make-up go, just don't overdo it. I'm not gonna repeat, but I fully agree with Persephone on that.

Other than that, you could check out this site for clothing inspiration. Some of their designs are rather fairy tale-ish goth.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Loose Eyeshadow Powder

wet a normal brush with water, then use that to apply it. make sure you've got a decent amount of water on the brush (usually soak it but make sure it's not dripping) and then it stays on WAY longer & it'll look pretty.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Anyone have any good goth tips?

TY TY TY for the tips.. you guys rock

Regular Crew

Date:

that was a lot of help, got a lot of great ideas from the site, ty.

Regular Crew

Date:
Foundation

I thought I'd do a search for foundation cos I was almost sure my question would come up...but it didn't! Which foundation do you use, if any? What have you had the worst experiences with, and what have you had the best experiences with?
I'm planning on purchasing a new one soon...I'm currently using Rimmels Cool Matte 16HR Mousse stuff. My advice would be to keep well away from this stuff, unless you want to look like you have a weird skin condition! xx

MookyDuchess

Date:

I just use the cheapest one I can find, usually Rimmel, or something like that.
My problem is finding one fair enough. Not because I want to do the pale Goth thing, but because I am incredibly pale, naturally. Moths keep flying into me at night...

See my pictures at this site.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I use Maybelinne Dream Matte Mousse foundation.
It's super light and airy; so sweat doesn't mess it up much
And it goes on very evenly and smoothly.
But I'd buy it a shade darker then what you think you are.
It's a bit lighter then it says
=|

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've used foundation two times in my life. The first time, my skin became horribly dry in some patches and spotty in others afterwards. The second one I tried had a UV filter in it, not a good look in a club that was lighted up with blacklights - I looked like a skeleton.

Since then I've never worn foundation, instead spending the saved money on goodies for my skin so that it (hopefully) looks fab naturally!

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

A quick look in my makeup bag (a superfluous term here because it is literally a gallon ziploc bag with all makeup I've ever owned jammed in) tells me I currently own a bottle of Covergirl liquid foundation in Ivory shade. The same one I believe my mother randomly bought for me one day when I was a junior in high school. That was about three years ago now, and the bottle's still slightly more than half full. Goes to show how much I bother with it I suppose.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

the first one i used was 17 balance foundation or something like that. terrible stuff. hated it.
now i use maxfactor colour balance? i cant remember without looking at the container. anyway it blends to my skin brilliantly. its genius.
i hate powder foundations. because when i get dry skin on my forehead and nose (mainly as a result of sun, later in sept or sometime) the powder like clumps in the bits. its hard to explain but you probably know sortof what i mean? i hope lol. so yeah. looked really weird and...well, powdery, haha. =/

lock the cellar door, and baby... talk dirty to me.

Lush Guru

Date:

I use 17 Illuminating foundation.
I don't know what it illuminates but whatevs.
Then I set it with Collection 2000 mineral magic (or something) foundation, which is a loose powder.
Then for touch ups on the go, I use 17 mineral foundation compact. Cos it's a compact.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I LOVE the L'oreal Foundations.
They fit my skin tone and people can't even tell that I use foundation.

I HATE Avon Foundations.
I'm just waiting for this bottle to finish off before I can buy some new foundation.
I bought this age renew foundation, and it's like I'm 100 years older. It gives off an awful shine.
I've been having to mix it with talcom powder to stop my face looking like I dipped my face in olive oil.

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Ever on the subject of eyeshadow...

Reviving my eyeshadow thread... [I'm somewhat obsessed.]

It seems that it's only the cheap brands that do brightly coloured makeup, but it fades thoughout the day to just a ghost of a stain of colour, with a prominent line of crusty shadow at the crease of my eyelid. My question- what can I do to make it STAY!?

I can't find "eyeshadow primer." The lady at Priceline hadn't even heard of it.
I tried using foundation and/or powder.
I tried wetting the brush before I dipped it in the eyeshadow.

Nothing seems to work.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

If you can't get an eyeshadow primer, try a cream eyeshadow or an eyeshadow stick. Anything a bit creamy might help keep your powder shadow stick.

I think that Benefit is available in Australia and they do some really good eye-primers that you could look into.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West

Lush Guru

Date:

I've heard people use chapstick/similar to get their eyeshadow to stay.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

If you have a hottopic [I know you're dreading walking into an "alternative" mall shop, haha what an oxymoron]
They're eyeshadow, is of decent quality
And if you go to Sephora, they have some special liquid that turns any eyeshadow into eyeliner
It works fantastically
I wish I had my bag, and I'd tell you exactly.

Baby Mook

Date:
Concealer.

What are some good but affordable (as in £5 or less) concealers, available in the UK?

I'm poorcry

And no one wants to give me a job to make me less poorcrycry

Lush Guru

Date:

Pop into Boots and have a look.
I imagine 17, Rimmel, Collection 2000 and Natural Collection all have under £5 concealers.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Ever on the subject of eyeshadow...

I put dream matte mousse concealer on my eyelids before applying eyeshadow - it seems to keep it place awesomely! My fave brand of neon eyeshadow is Stargazer and Gosh! both have some awesomely electro colours

Regular Crew

Date:
Rockabilly make-up

I'm 17 and i love the rockabilly look but  fee uncomfortable wearing so much heavy make-up and red lipstick. Has anyone got any ideas for a more subtle, casual and youthful look to the rockabilly make-up?

Thank you :D 

Honoured Mook

Date:

Liquid eyeliner with otherwise nude eyes can be very pretty. If you're not a fan of black, you could try a navy or brown to get a more subtle colour?

Also, if you're not a fan of lipstick (me either - ick) why don't you try a tinted lip balm or lip stain? They don't feel as heavy as a lipstick but can still achieve a really nice pout.

Lush Guru

Date:

Lip stain (Benetint is good) would be a good lipstick alternative but the eyeliner is pretty much essential to the rockabilly look (imo anyway) so you need that, but brown could work as well.

Regular Crew

Date:

Here's few tips for doing Rockabilly Make-up

Take your eyepaint or eyeliner and apply it carefully on the bottom of your eyes. Make sure you get close to the lash line. Start on the inside corner of your eye and make a thin line going to the outside of your eye.
Apply your eyepaint/eyeliner in the same manner on top. Try for a rounded edge on the outside corner of your eye.
Apply a healthy amount of eye shadow to your eyelids after the eyeliner has dried.
You can create a shadow effect by applying a thin amount of a dark coloured eye shadow all around your eyes.
Apply one coat of black mascara.
If you want to, use foundation in a tone slightly lighter than your skin tone, or your own skin tone.
Put a tiny bit of lipstick on. Blend it well into your lips and blot some off for a tinting affect.
Don't overdo the makeup- you may look like a poser.
Quick note: If you have a very light skin complexion and maybe even darker eyes, you may want to use like a dark brown (close to black) and/ or a crimson color. This will not be to harsh on your skin tone!

apply colored eye liner under your black; use eyeliner on top lid too.

Punk Emo Hoodies  All Over Print T-shirts  Scene Emo Guides and Articles

Lush Guru

Date:

How does one look like a poser?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Alka wrote:

How does one look like a poser?

I don't know, that would be kind of hard. I'm seriously of the belief that "posers" do not exist.

Posers, from my understanding, are people who try to be something they aren't. But by accomodating different tastes, aren't you just experimenting with different stuff? Style doesn't just always fall into place, you can make an effort to assume new styles that you like. There's nothing wrong with playing around with something shiny and different!

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think the term "posers" basically means someone who tries too hard. It was coined by envious and mean girls that make fun of everybody because they were typod as different.

It's a confidence thing. If you don't look comfortable in what your wearing you will look like you're trying too hard.

Oh, and my makeup routine basically consists of everything Marlene just said, except I prefer putting dark eyeshadow on first because otherwise it blends in badly with the liquid eyeliner on the top lid. It doesn't take long to do with practice.
I don't believe there's such a thing as a casual look with rockabilly. You're either: made up, or REALLY made up. If you look at the girls they all have pale skin and very dark makeup with bright red lipstick. Which I think looks stunning, I'm actually contemplating dying my hair black again just to look more pale.
Maybe a casual look would be just without the eyeshadow and lipstick?

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Foundation

I go for the cheapest I can find- Miss. Sporty or Natural Collection normally,
As well as it being super cheap it actually goes as light as my skin which is rare because i am SUPER pale and I don't have an orange face and lily-white neck now haha,

Regular Crew

Date:

I use dream matte mousse and I hate it. I have to put loads of moisturizer on because it dries out my skin and makes me look craggie. I'm saving up to go all out and buy loads of stuff from the boots no7 range. My mum uses it and it's great. I would like a base, tinted moisturizer, brush on concealer and an illuminator. Pretty please!
xxx

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us