Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Make up - All merged Make Up threads will come to live here.

Regular Crew

Date:
Make-up + clothes for the Alternative

Hello Everyone at Mooky!,
Woo hoo this is my first post!!
I have Brigt Red/pinkish hair and I have become really confused about what kind of make-up or clothes/coloured clothes I should be going for.
I take a lot of inspiration from Japanese street style make-up, and also Jane Goldman. I also love bright colourful make-up, however sometimes it's hard to pull this off without looking a bit like a female drag queen...

Does anybody have any little favourites? any styles that you like to pull off with unconventional hair colour?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE submit pictures, and ideas, I'd love to hear from people....
xxxx
Here's a few pics to start it off...

A picture of me and my current make-up look

Jane goldman wears clashing colours, I quite like that!

Barry M star dust eye shadow

Glittery eye shadow look

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Hi Dolly,

That is a fabulous post!

With such a strong hair colour I think you are right to go for strong coloured make-up to match. I used to have pastel pink hair and either have no make up or just black mascara and eyeliner. I think this actually made my face look pretty washed-out.

In my opinion I like the kitsch 50s style makeup which is what I reckon you are going for in that photo, it suits your hair. You could get away with blue lipstick, or thick poison-green eyeshadow and pinky/red lipstick for a vampy poison ivy look...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Regular Crew

Date:

Magda! Thank you for the helpful reply! It's very rare that i get to alk with people who have also had alternative hair. I suppose thats why it's called alternative hehe.

I googled Kitsch fashon and Kitsch make-up . I'm new to that word 'kitsch' but look what i found! wowza! inspriation!!!

MookyDuchess

Date:

I've been dying my hair blue / purple for so long now, I consider it normal. So I don't go out of my way with make. I probably do look quite washed out most of the time, but that's how I also look naturally.

On the rare ocassions I go out nowadays, I tend to veer towards more goth style make up. But I don't go out often. Not planned anyway. I usualyy find myself in the pub nowadays for a quick drink after work. Though it's never a quick drink. :(

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Hi Dolly, and welcome

I think the look you've got is great, I'd go with a bit more blush on the cheeks and something more colourful around the eyes, you need to accentuate them.

As for clothes, really classy black stuff looks so good with bright hair - maybe not the thing for going out clubbing, but pinstripes for work would go down a treat.

btw  -notice how all the photos you found of 'kitsch' are of people with black hair. Some things would be just too over the top imho.

-- Edited by Titus Rage at 08:43, 2006-09-02

Honoured Mook

Date:

Hello!

http://www.cosmates.jp

I'll recommend this place, it's great for those interesting bits and bobs from Japan, especially if you're into Lolita or Cosplay.

Regular Crew

Date:

HarleyQuinn thankyou for the Link - just checked it out. It's pretty cool, I have a book called Fresh Fruits which is basically a picture book of Japanese street fashion (if you havn't already seen it, you should!)

Titus Rage - I see what you mean about the black hair and colourful clothes. I used to have black hair for about 2 years, and to be honest i usually wore black... I think now I have red hair the last think i want to do is wear black hehe!
If anyone has any pictures of styles.make-up they like you should post them on this thread! I would love to see them!
x

Date:

I took a picture of these girls in town and although it's more party style, I like the slick techno outfits teamed with fluffy boots, it's a nice contrast and strong colours.

Actually if you want to dress this down, you can wear those fluffy boots anywhere. I suggest they can be worn to work, for instance, with a dark blue denim pencil skirt, just above knee-length, and the simple but attitude-ish top of your choice. Fo sho.

Oh yes... I took this picture because my male friend was in love with their bottoms. But it's okay, when they caught me doing it - and i'm not showing you all the bottomy close-ups - I explained I was an 'art student'. I think you could probably rob a bank if you claim to be an art student...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Regular Crew

Date:

haha! That's very true actually!
I like the bright neon colours ooooo. The boots are pretty cool! I saw a woman wearing similar fury boots with just a pair of skinny jeans and a top and it looked quite cool! Good for winter. Although unfortunatly my boyfriend hates ugga boots and big fury boots and stuff :(

I can't wait for this winter to strole in! I much prefer winter when it comes to fashion and style because I can wear make up more and colourful scarves and go for a more layered look.

Kate winslet!! my favourite actress ever! and look shes got blue hair and ugga boots!
2003-01-15_03

-- Edited by DollyDaire at 22:02, 2006-09-05

-- Edited by Kitty Fire at 19:33, 2006-09-06

Honoured Mook

Date:

Since when has Kate had blue hair?

MookyDuchess

Date:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Regular Crew

Date:

Since when did she become a ball of fire? hmm dunno what happened to that image link?!? sorry! well hope some people got to see it!

MookyDuchess

Date:

I think it was because the picture was perhaps too big.

However, I've managed to amaze even myself with my technical know how and get it sorted.

So you should now be able to see the blue haired Kate in her Ugg boot glory.

Regular Crew

Date:

ah! POIFECT! *claps* thank youuu !

Baby Mook

Date:

Lol I know this isnt going to help any, but I just wanted to tell you that you are so pretty ^.^. I love your hair too.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

aww, thank you ma dear!

Date:
False eyelashes

I've started wearing false eyelashes, because I like that they're so false, and it's fun to take the caterpillars out for a walk. So long as you've got someone on wildlife watch to ensure one of them doesn't end up as a hitleresque moustache.

The problem is that although they're easy to apply they're gluey and heavy and my blink-rate goes up something rotten.

Has anyone tried these mascaras that are meant to lengthen your lashes? If so, can they recommend a good one?

Lush Guru

Date:

I tried false eyelashes once, and I couldn't get them to be close enough to my lash line really.

Erm...the mascaras that are white and black, those are the best ones. I really don't like the mabelliene (sp?) one that is blue (I think thats the waterproof one) and like, it's really clumpy and shit.

I like Bourjois for eye make ups, but I haven't tried their mascara.

Baby Mook

Date:

If you're willing to spend, I'd definately recomend Benefits badgirl lash, best mascara I've ever used. If not, Rimmels superlash. That stuff is god in a little blue tube.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Make-up + clothes for the Alternative

I often dye my hair virbrant colours to get my face looking alright i cover my whole face in concelar and foundation to cover up all my spots and to make my face the same colour then apply my make up as normal.

Also maybe look at www.myspace.com/Atrashylife

Honoured Mook

Date:

I found ebay again.

That was such a bad idea.

I bought loads of stripey things.

I like stripes...

MookyDuchess

Date:

Stripey things are very good. I want to get more stripey things.

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: False eyelashes

I have more mascaras than any other kind of make up.

I have really stupid eyelashes. They're long on my right eye but they're kind of stumpy on my left, so that's not good. They don't curl up either they stick straight out.

So I've taken to "training" my lashes. I wear mascara everyday and apply it from the root right to the end. It takes me about quarter of an hour to do both eyes properly. To get them to curl up properly, I sit there holding the brush halfway up the lash for a little while, adding another coat every so often.

Mascaras I can recommend would be the Bourjois Double ended black and white one, it isn't bad but it has been a while since I've used it. As for mascara's that don't have the white basecoat, try Eyeko's Fat Lash mascara or Rimmels new Magnif'eyes.

Date:

Wow.

I mean, wow. That is some serious work.

When I used to go to the Slimelight in my goth days there was a girl with the most incredibly long (natural eyelashes), she looked like Tank Girl and we were all so jealous of her.

I asked her about her lashes and she says she cut them off once, fairly close to the base, because she thought they might grow back thicker the way hair does if you cut it back. She was ballsy enough that she didn't care if they never grew back at all, though... a seriously risky step to take.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't think I could do that. I mean my eyelashes are stupid enough as they are. But they are getting better. It's just a matter of time I guess. I have the same problem with my eyebrows too, as I actually singed an eyebrow before. And my mother over plucked it one time and it's just started to grow back now.

Lush Guru

Date:

I just bought Maybelline intense XXL waterproof mascara.
I've heard good things, but I'm scared.
It's still in it's packet.

I've never spent 8 on a mascara before!!

P.s. that post up there, I don't remember writing it. I've never tried anything bourjois really, some of my friends have their eyeshadows, but they're a bit weak for my liking.
I've never tried mabelline mascara before (or at least not a white and black one) and I've been using 17 from Boots mascara for ages.

I have tried false eyelashes though, that part is true.

Regular Crew

Date:

well instead of going out and spending a lot of money on the mascara why not look into getting the actually lashes done at a salon, like the ones that do eyebrows. At least find out how much it will set you back. It might be the same cost and maybe 4 expensive mascara sticks, just a thought.

-- Edited by lolita lampshade at 14:59, 2007-02-23

Lush Guru

Date:

Verdict on black and white mabelline thing:

Does make my eyelashes look longer.

Is VERY waterproof.

Does thicken, but not as much as I'd have liked.

Is an ABSOLUTE WHORE to get off my eyeslashes. Cunts.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Make-up + clothes for the Alternative

Makeup ------- TURQUOISE!! =] It goes amazingly with pink, and amazingly with red.
xo

Regular Crew

Date:
False eyelashes

Avon mascara is amazing.
I love extreme volume but I don't know if they still sell it.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us