Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Privacy - Play safe.

Date:
Privacy - Play safe.

Mookychick is a lovely friendly place.

It's also a lovely friendly place on the internet.

We do recommend that you keep it safe when revealing personal details. It's not just about weird people who don't know you. It's also about the people who do - your friends and frienemies!

If you're not 100% sure your profile is anonymous, look after yourself and only give the details of your life you feel comfortable giving. If you're feeling pooky and having a rant about life on the forum, it's always better not to name names...

Be good to yourself, and make sure you take care of number one. You.

Love and squirrel kisses,

Mookychick Central xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Sage advice.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

This is a sound warning Magda, love it
x

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thanks for the advice and squirrel kisses :D

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Squirrel!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Squirrel kisses! Whee! I've never kissed a squirrel, but I imagine it must be a lot like rat kisses -which are lovely.

Privacy, yes. Good advice that. I always think that anything I post or do on the internet is about as private as if I had written a poster about it and tacked it up in the local grocery store and in a really seedy bar down town.

-- Edited by Irilar on Monday 1st of February 2010 01:58:02 PM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Bumping this because I just found out something interesting which might help those of us worried people in RL will discover their identities on Mooky,if said RL people are not cool people. Chelsea helped me in this. :)

In the "list all users" list,it shows what country you come from. I assumed it automatically stated that based on your IP,but Chelsea pointed out I had none. Anti-Cydonianism,of course. ;) There's a setting to "Display your country's flag in the Member List" which I thought meant exactly what it said ; the all users list showed your country name,but the setting added a picture of the flag too.

Hence I went looking into profile settings,and if you go to "edit profile",you can enter your country. I thought this only affected what your profile said,and not the all users list [which was IP-based,or *so I thought*],so I changed it from blank to England,which was on a drop-down list as you typed. However,when it saved,the country field was still blank afterwards. Odd. England's name was down on the list but it still wasn't coming in. [blame the EU,they're always plotting against us lol]. Ecuador worked fine,however,and for a few minutes there I was on the all users list as an Ecuadorean. But it was too hot,so I changed the country to the UK,and all was well.

So what,you might say. I bet I'm not the only one who assumed the all users list was IP based and not controlled by your profile,and this means that not only can you appear stateless if you wish*,but you can false-flag yourself and appear to be from any random country** to confuse your enemies.

*Set "Display your country's flag in the Member List" to No and edit your profile to set the country name to blank.

**Set "Display your country's flag..." to Yes and edit your profile to set the country name to whichever country you want.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh snap, I'm in Sweden again. :P

Edit: The Faroe Islands are cooler. I thought this was IP-based too but it's not, unless I'm unknowingly in the Faroes. Hurray!

-- Edited by Spiggy on Sunday 24th of March 2013 08:50:54 PM

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I really want to go to the Faroe Islands.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us