Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Books you couldn't get through

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Books you couldn't get through

Gatsby seems like one of those books that are ferociously loved by some and abhorred by others. I personally hated it and don't understand what's to love, and there are a lot of people who share my opinion - but, then there are those for who say that the book changed their lives and taught them so much about themselves. I don't get it, but then my favorite book is The Grapes of Wrath, which seems to be in the same situation. Most people hated it, but there's a small group of people for whom the book is asignificant factor in their lives that made them who they are (and I'm one of them).

One book I couldn't get through: Moby Dick. I got half way through that tired chapter on whale breeds and, not wanting to skip any chapters, I put it down intending to finish and never picked it up again. I really should, the chapters that weren't filled with dull information were really good and I've heardthat the ending is great.

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm probably going to get things thrown at me for this, but every time I've tried to read anything by Anne Rice I can't get through it at all. I can't quite put my finger on it but something about her writing style just really bothers me, which is strange because I liked the film adaptations of Interview with a Vampire and Queen of the Damned.
Seems to be a recurring thing with me and vampire-themed novels though. There was one we read in high school (can't remember what it was called) that I hated, and I only made it 50 pages into Twilight before I had to stop. The only exceptions I've found are Dracula and Let the Right One In which is one of my absolute favourite novels.

-- Edited by EverFrost on Thursday 6th of January 2011 04:23:05 PM

. Tumblr . Flickr .

Honoured Mook

Date:

She's got a thing for over description. If you have trouble with Tolken books too then you've found your problem.

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm not sure, I read the Silmarillion without a problem, along with Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit but I've never been able to make it through any of hers.

. Tumblr . Flickr .

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe.

I've been reading it for three weeks, I'm nearly done, but I've read like four other books in the meantime.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I never got round to finishing The Three Musketeers, but I think that was more due to lack of interest than anything else. I was given it to read at Primary along with Robinson Crusoe since I was a high level reader, but I wanted to read the same stuff as everyone else- Biff and Kipper and the Magic Key all the way for me :)

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The very last part of the Da Vinci Code. Like, the last two chapters. That said, I was only nine so it may be time to try again.

I could have sworn I'd already posted that somewhere, but I didn't see it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I read all the twilight books and loved them.

So I got 'The Host'.

I read the first few pages and I just couldnt believe it had been written by the same author :/ its rubbish. So ive passed it onto my Godsons mum to try, hope she has better look with it.

And now I cant find a good book to read :(

Regular Crew

Date:

"Little Red" Ruby wrote:

I made it through The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. BUT ONLY JUST.
I hated the main character and most of the way Nick writes. Bleh.
Also: too much talk of vaginas.

Bunny was a weird one... I hated the character but I think that was the point...

Have you read "And The Ass Saw The Angel"?
It's a thousand times better. Probably one of my favourite novels ever.

I can't stand anything by Austen, too much simpering for me. That might all change by the end of any of her novels, but I've never even wanted to make it that far.

Also, I'm about to read American Psycho; should I be worried?
x.S.x

Burn down the disco, hang the blessed DJ, because the music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lady Misery wrote:

I never got round to finishing The Three Musketeers, but I think that was more due to lack of interest than anything else. I was given it to read at Primary along with Robinson Crusoe since I was a high level reader, but I wanted to read the same stuff as everyone else- Biff and Kipper and the Magic Key all the way for me :)

I don't blame you, The Magic Key was fantastic! However I would highly recommend The Three Musketeers, I love it very much :)

And Alice, I haven't read 'And The Ass Saw The Angel' yet, but if you think it's better I'll definitely give it a go. Until then I'll immerse myself in his amazing song writing to forget bloody Bunny..

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I'm the opposite, I HATE long descriptions. I prefer books which get to the point.

Which reminds me, I couldn't get through Cold Mountain, even though I had to read it for college (I hated English Literature at college, I don't know why I took it). HOWEVER, I got a D in the exam which is good for a book I only read half of. I read the end and other parts of it though.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

there are so many books i never got through with :S i have so many books in my room, and i've probably fully read less than half of them :P and i can very rarely reread them. and books that are assigned for litterature in classes will never be fully read. some won't even be opened. but i love reading :3

TOAST BUSTERS!

i ain't afraid of no toast ;)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I struggle with anything by Jane Austen...
I never managed to finish The Vampire Lestat, and I only just managed Interview With tha Vampire... I don't know why but there's just something about them which makes them really hard for me to get through @_______@
To Kill a Mockingbird bores me half to death as well, but that's probably because I've had to do it three times for school xD still, I have never actually finished it.

....I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

"Little Red" Ruby wrote:

Lady Misery wrote:

I don't blame you, The Magic Key was fantastic! However I would highly recommend The Three Musketeers, I love it very much :)

I scarcely remember what those books were about but I know they were brilliant! I also used to like We're Going on a Bear Hunt, which I must have read about ten billion times, and all the Miffy Books. After that I stuck pretty religiously to Jacqueline Wilson, like pretty much every other girl I know. She made my childhood :D

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

There's not many books I've had a hard time getting through. Then again,
that was before AP English:

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Darkside.

It wasn't that it was a bad book, just that I've had enough of stupid girls
falling in love with their stalkers.

Wuthering Heights.

Catherine, HealthCliff, Edgar, Catherine 2....I secretly wish they'd
all burn and explode.

Jude the Obscure.

Like Wuthering Heights, only twice as long.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Deb

Regular Crew

Date:

A'Rebours. And the Chanel biography. Thats just the ones I can think of now.

Oh Deborah, do you recall?

Lush Guru

Date:

I find Wexfords really difficult. Ruth Rendell is slooooow.

Regular Crew

Date:

clockbox wrote:

I once started a book called Bookends which I couldn't finish, it was too stupid. I did a swapsie with a girl I used to work with. She only read chicklit, I only read not-crap. Funnily enough, I gave her The Great Gatsby because I thought it would be light reading, but she disagreed, and we ended up peaceably going back to what we liked.

Ha ha - I'm embarrassed to admit I read 'Bookends' all the way through - that's a whole evening of my life that I'll never get back disbelief

In my defence, I was completing/editing a novel of my own at the time, so I wanted to see what kind of thing publishers were taking on. I suppose I can sort of see how some well-to-do editor would judge it as being ever so 'hip' and 'relevant' - at least to the lives of middle-class book editors. But for me, anything that relies on a dinner party as a plot device is not real life.
(I think the closest I've ever been to a dinner party is when the local anarchist group have their community veggie meal - now I wonder if I could get a publisher to go for that as an idea? confuse)

Books that I couldn't get through? Someone once lent me the first book in the "Thomas Covenant" series, and I just couldn't stand it - barely got through the first few chapters before I gave up.
And at the moment I'm trying to get back into "Handful of Dust" by Evelyn Waugh. Not sure why I struggled with it first time as it's the kind of satire that I usually love - but I suppose knowing in advance that it all ends badly for most of the characters makes it rather depressing.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm 1/3rd done with 1984. But I just can't finish it until I've finished my exams. _

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Regular Crew

Date:

I couldnt finish American Psycho. I might have to go back and force myself to finish it because i hate leaving books unfinished, but there were seriously entire chapters I just had to skip over because the descriptions were so vivid...and don't get me wrong, i'm not squeamish normally, i've seen some weird stuff in my time. But somehow reading it in a book is so much worse O.O

"It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further ... And one fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." F.Scott Fitzgerald

My tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

It's a real shame but.... Dracula. I just couldn't read it. :(
The twilight books make me feel sick because they're so "OMG BELLA I LUV U BUH I CAN'T HAV SEX WITH U COZ I AM TOO FULL OF ANGRYNESS" (sorry if that offended anyone...)
Also anything my Jane Austen too. My brain just can't handle it.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The Dice Man by Luke Rhineheart. I've never been able to get past the first few chapters. I just don't 'get it'. what kind of shoddy author puts himself as the lead character?

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Not quite as heavy duty as many of the others mentioned, but Alice's Adventures in Wonderland really annoyed me, it seemed too "lolz random" in a bad way. Through the Looking Glass was better, however...

I also REALLY want to finish at least the first book in the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake. It's beautifully weird and wonderfully written, but it was a bit slow...

Oh, and every one of the academic books I bought intending to become learned in... Foucault, I'm sorry...

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Dream Merchant by Isabel Hoving. I think I've tried to read it about 3 times and I just never get more than halfway. It's supposed to be good if you have the patience to get through it, but I just can't. I have no idea where the plot is supposed to be leading to, but not in a good way.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Twilight. I really tried to get through it but I guess I'm more of a Anne Rice & Bram Stoker type of gal.

Divine Comedy. In my defense it was my first semester in college and I chose to check the book out but I never could really get into it because I was either buried under homework or tired.

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 05:55:45 PM

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

The Host by stephanie Meyer, dull as fuck!

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I loved The Host and thought it was so much better than Twilight!

Regular Crew

Date:

Raspectre wrote:

Not quite as heavy duty as many of the others mentioned, but Alice's Adventures in Wonderland really annoyed me, it seemed too "lolz random" in a bad way. Through the Looking Glass was better, however...

I had a really hard time with the Alice books when I was a kid - I had to go back to them as an adult before I realised they were too reminiscent of the craziness/unpredictability I knew only too well with my mentally ill mother - I really didn't need reminders of it in fiction.

Although 'Through the Looking Glass' was easier for me, because she seemed much more in control by then.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Sorry to say this, but I found it really difficult to get through The Color Purple. I think it was the language and the style of writing that threw me off mostly. I understand that it's a reflection of the main character's upbringing but it made it really difficult for me to keep up with what was happening - I kept having to read each page several times. It's a shame because I really liked the story.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've just given up on A Kiss of Shadows after managing to get just over halfway through it.
It's the only book I've ever read that actually made me say out loud "Oh come on, ANOTHER sex scene?!"

. Tumblr . Flickr .

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us