Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Books you couldn't get through

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Books you couldn't get through

"Violin" by Anne Rice, and I've utterly no idea why as I really enjoy it while I'm reading it. About half way through I just suddenly start to really struggle with keeping interested. Really can't put my finger on why as I find it a lot more engaging than her Vampire Chronicles and I've read most of those.
I've had my copy for many many years, have tried many times, and just haven't managed it. I shall get there one day!

And there's a fantasy that I picked up for cheap in Waterstones last month that I can't for the life of me remember the name of or the author, I'll have to check when I'm at home. I bought it because a) it was cheap, and b) the blurb made utterly no sense - unfortunately, when I tried to read it, the novel makes utterly no sense too. It's #1 in a trilogy but reads as if you've started reading in the middle of a series, and you've no idea who the characters are, what their relation to eachother is, or why they're doing what they're doing.

I didn't manage to finish Twilight, either. Or the first Harry Potter, for that matter. I read 3-4 chapters of the first book in both cases and just gave up on the series' utterly as both books made me feel like I was being talked down to.
Same goes for "Fire" by Kristin Cashore, although I made it 2/3 into that before I got rid of it. I am not an idiot, so why should I read a book that writes as if I am one.

:)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am sixteen chapters into Middlemarch and I bloody hate it.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^I feel your pain.

I never managed to read it all. I was too busy trying to club myself to death with it. In fact you must have read more than me by now, well done for not having a bloody book-shaped dent in your head!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

'Nothing to be Frightened Of' by Julian Barnes.

It was well written, and funny in places. I just can't deal with that level of detail about death at the moment. There has been too much of it, too close for comfort. It terrifies me too much. How pathetic.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

American Psycho because I was in a bad place emotionally and could bear it no longer, Oliver Twist purely because it was boring.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I second The Grapes of Wrath.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I know Hardy is notorious for being hard work, but it was a birthday present so I decided to at least attempt it. It's painful. It's very painful. I know I should like it, because it's not written in an especially difficult way, but the storyline is boring me and it just feels like a wound in my eyes whenever I pick it up.

And, ahem, A Brief History of Time. I should read it because it's about physics and I like physics, yeah? But... it's just written in such a frightfully boring way. THERE'S NO DAMN PLOT!

... oh, wait.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Miki, I hated Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I managed to read it but I felt like bashing my head against the wall all the way through. Argh.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hardy is a miserable, miserable git of an author.

Regular Crew

Date:

Lord of the Rings bored me half to tears.

Regular Crew

Date:

Lolita. I bought it before I realized what it was about. Some of it gets a little graphic and it bothers me soo muchdisbelief
That I have to skip a whole bunch just to find out what happens at the end.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Sorry to say it, but Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It started off fairly good, but after a while the plot was lost on me and I couldn't really muster up enough interest to carry on reading. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it. Granted, I've never seen the stage show but I hope it's a lot better than the book!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wicked Lovely. It was a terrible book, with an awful plot, 2D characters, an unrelatable protagonist and two very uninteresting love interests. It was clearly trying to ride off on Twilight's success and- surprise surprise - they're making a movie out of it. Ugh :/

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

"Little Red" Ruby wrote:

I made it through The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. BUT ONLY JUST.
I hated the main character and most of the way Nick writes. Bleh.
Also: too much talk of vaginas.

I hated the main character too but that's what is awesome about the book :) And Bunny is generally so much easier to read than And the Ass saw the Angel but I still love The Ass more :) I love the way Nick writes :)

(Sorry, as a Cave-obsessed freak I just couldn't not comment on this :D)

Pony Frenzy

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke.

It took me all summer to read that thang, and while I fell utterly in love with one of the characters, the plot was... all over. I borrowed it from a friend in June and gave it back sometime in August.

Not to mention most of the books in my required reading list for school... I've read them all already, and most of the questions we're asked on them are "Predict what happens next!" questions. I literally wrote "Well, yes, Lennie dies and I think this because I've read this thing before" in one of my English journal entries for 'Of Mice and Men'. What will I do when we read
'The Jungle'? D:

Regular Crew

Date:

I started reading The Shining months ago. I'm a few chapters in but just can't get my head into reading it. I'll get back to it eventually. :)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Have to be honest, much as I adore reading, I'm really narrow minded, and only really pick up books that I know i'll like.

The only book i've never finished is Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk. I didn't make it past Guts. For those of you familiar with it (or it's available on his website, if you have a strong stomach), I was feeling nervous from the carrot story, I should never have finished the part with the candle wax, and I threw up at the end.

The whole fiasco was made so much worse by the fact that it is incredibly well written.

I hid the book under my bed, and my mum had to rescue it. When she asked me why, I burst into tears, and she had to bin the book. Which I feel rather guilty about, I do like books :(

-- Edited by Sticks on Sunday 26th of September 2010 08:11:50 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^You've intruiged me, I need to see if my library has this book.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Regular Crew

Date:

But don't say I didn't warn you!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I read it. It's certainly graphic, but surprisingly well written.

Cut Out And Keep

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I READ IT!

It's a great read, but definitely... eurgh.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Nobody else bothered by how anatomically incorrect it was? To be honest that bothered me more than any other aspect of it.

Cut Out And Keep

Regular Crew

Date:

That was pretty disgusting, but didn't really bother me, I think I'm more disturbed by visual things.

The only book I've never managed to finish was Dracula. I got halfway through it last year then gave up. I liked it, it was just very difficult to read, going to try it again soon, hopefully with more success.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh! I've read Haunted. The scariest part, in my opinion, was that the cover glowed in the dark. I was not aware of this when I left it on my bed, and came into my room in the middle of the night to a glowing, screaming face.

Fuzzy little man peach.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Three Men in a Boat - I thought it would be a right laugh but to be honest, it's bloody boring.

Tumblr

Regular Crew

Date:

Zip, I did the same thing, only I put it beside my bed on the table/shelf. When I turned around, I had it starring at me with its dead souless eyes....gleh.

I honestly didn't think that "Guts" was that bad. I actually laughed my way through most of the book, wailing like a hyena when they cut of pits of the one girls butt and ate it...note that all of this occured on a plane, so people were looking at me odly the whole time.

I've never been able to finish Violin by Anne Rice, I get to the middle, at most, and that's forcing it, and then my intrest just flies out the window. The descriptions are nice, and I really want to know what happens, but I can't take it annymore after a while.

I still haven't gotten to far into Imajica by Clive Barker, even though it seems like the kind of thing that I would really love. I need to pick it up when I'm in the proper mood, or else it's going to just sit there on the shelf mocking me forever.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh good, I'm not the only one who laughed at Guts. But then, I always have had a sick sense of humour. Although that thing with the candle wax sounds really painful.
Edit: I just looked at the Wikipedia page for it, and apprently tons of people fainted during readings. I mean, it's a bit gross, but it's not that bad, is it?!

I feel so ashamed, but I can't get into the Hobbit (I thought I'd posted this before but I can't see it anywhere). I struggle through the first few chapters, things start livening up, and then Gollum shows up and I'm like "Ooh, this is going to be good!", then he leaves Gollum behind and it goes back to ridiculous tedium.

-- Edited by Celtic Mysteria on Monday 27th of December 2010 09:51:56 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The God of Small Things- Arundhati Roy

I've been reading it on and off for about 4 months now!

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Celtic Mysteria wrote:

I feel so ashamed, but I can't get into the Hobbit (I thought I'd posted this before but I can't see it anywhere). I struggle through the first few chapters, things start livening up, and then Gollum shows up and I'm like "Ooh, this is going to be good!", then he leaves Gollum behind and it goes back to ridiculous tedium.

The hobbit took me forever to get through, it currently holds the title 'only book I've ever actually fallen asleep whilst trying to read'. Then again I was only 7 or 8 at the time, my dad told me he thought I'd like it so I was determined to read it.

Cut Out And Keep

Regular Crew

Date:

Celtic Mysteria wrote:

Oh good, I'm not the only one who laughed at Guts. But then, I always have had a sick sense of humour. Although that thing with the candle wax sounds really painful.
Edit: I just looked at the Wikipedia page for it, and apprently tons of people fainted during readings. I mean, it's a bit gross, but it's not that bad, is it?!

My brothers (18 & 13) cringed at the candle wax part. I didn't think that it was that bad either, but apparently people have weak constitutions, throwing up and fainting over a story.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I struggle with anything by Jane Austen. It takes me forever to read through them but I manage. As far as classic books go I prefer the Bronte sisters, I find them way more interesting.

Ooh la la tumblr,

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us