Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Books you couldn't get through


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 646
Date:
Books you couldn't get through


The Name of the Rose is fucking epic. Please do not give up. I was reading it with Isoceles and he kept phoning me to be like, "How far are you? I never want it to end. You know that bit where William talks about how he keeps images in his head? I want to stick it on my wall." I got proper jittery over the Borges references and the sex scene, which is plenty hot.

Also, all those who didn't like Gatsby or Orlando, I just don't understand y'all. Two of my favourite books. However, I first read Gatsby when I was fourteen and hated it, didn't even get to the car crash, then again when I was seventeen and I devoured it in a sitting.

Bloody Ulysses by Joyce though, I stumble through and stop two thirds of the way through every time. I've never even attempted Finnegans Wake.

I once started a book called Bookends which I couldn't finish, it was too stupid. I did a swapsie with a girl I used to work with. She only read chicklit, I only read not-crap. Funnily enough, I gave her The Great Gatsby because I thought it would be light reading, but she disagreed, and we ended up peaceably going back to what we liked.

I got bored with Crash by J.G. Ballard, which was probably a mistake and something I should go back to. I've never finished anything by George Eliot. I've still got about forty pages left of Vanity Fair, which considering the length of the book is a stupid amount to leave and I did actually enjoy it. I mean, I finished Pamela by Richardson, even the lesser-read second half, and I hated every moment of that. It took me three years of stopping and starting to properly read Bleak House by Dickens, but that was worth the struggle.





-- Edited by clockbox on Saturday 2nd of January 2010 11:03:47 PM

__________________
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy


Lush Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3713
Date:

Lord of the Rings, all three plus the Hobbit. YAWN.

The Plague by Camus.
Catch 22 by whoever (can't remember), just got bored by these two. I'll go back to them but I was doing every shift I could for Christmas when I started them and I was just too knackered to give them any time really.

__________________
Worse things happen at sea


Seasoned Mookster

Status: Offline
Posts: 89
Date:

I haven't not finished a book in so long, but I'm halfway through Jane Austen's book "Pride and prejudice" and with school and just being busy with work and such I have been neglecting it. I read a lot of it then I just stopped and now I can't get back into it. =\

__________________


Professor Mook (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 4027
Date:

Read the zombies version, if you can't read the real thing!

__________________

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx



Lush Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3713
Date:

^^I'm waiting for that to come from Amazon - exciting!!! I HATE Jane Austen but I'm hoping the zombies will make up for it.

__________________
Worse things happen at sea


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 855
Date:

Jane Eyre, War and Peace, in fact...most of the classics. I just can't relate to them, I will try to read them when I have more maturity under my belt :)

__________________

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA



Mookface (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2257
Date:

I had terrible trouble getting started with Frankenstein at first, it took me at least three tries to get past the first seven or so pages! I'm so glad I persevered though, hugely enjoyed it once I actually managed to get into it.

__________________




Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2635
Date:

Count Of Monte Cristo.
I had to read it for school (summer reading) a couple years ago. I read about 100 pages of it then said "sod this, I'm using Sparknotes and taking notes so I remember."
The first day back at school my teacher gave us a lecture about how Sparknotes is like heroin.
Needless to say it was quite uncomfortable.

__________________

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr



International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 748
Date:

The fifth Harry Potter book. I'm quite sure she was just making shit up to make each book longer than the last.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I believe it was in grade 7. Books with too much description annoy me. I think that's why I don't read books anymore, most of them bore me to tears.


__________________
A Blog.


Seasoned Mookster

Status: Offline
Posts: 89
Date:

candiclaus wrote:

Read the zombies version, if you can't read the real thing!




 Zombie version? Hmmm? Haha I'm interested.



__________________


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 360
Date:

I really did try with Wuthering Heights, but I couldn't get past the first page. I know it's a classic but it's so hard to understand! How do you do it??

__________________

You say you want to live in the darkness?
~ Tumblr! ~



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2623
Date:

^ I thought that at first, but don't panick. Read through a couple of the sentences and work them out in your head. They're structured a bit oddly, but once you understand how the whole Victorian lingo thingamabob goes then you can steam on ahead :) That's how I'm doing it, although I'm struggling with Joseph's dialect. It's thick Yorkshire and I can barely understand a word he says!

__________________

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

 



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 173
Date:

Wuthering Hights is an excelent book, once you work out the language!

"Pride and Prejudice" and A Tale of Two Cities. I just couldn't finish the last half of either one. I had to read both for school- P&P I somehow managed to talk my way out of finishing it, and got a diffrent book, and I listened to the audio version of A Tale of Two Cities while running, and doing chores.

TBH, I don't think that even zombies could improve Austen much.

__________________




Regular Crew

Status: Offline
Posts: 27
Date:

I loved the Hobbit, enjoyed reading that but when I read The Fellowsip of the ring I just couldn't do it first time round. Did the other year & only have the last one left to get through. Dark Prince I couldn't get through, it was boring, annoying for some reason & I think I felt the sex got in the way of the story. I also coulddn't finish The Secret of Crickley Hall, although I wanted to. I think I was too busy, 'cause it's a huge book & I will return to it some day. Maybe in the summer holidays.

__________________


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2443
Date:

FINALLY finished 'The Waves'. Score.

__________________
Kittens.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 171
Date:

Fiend wrote:

The fifth Harry Potter book. I'm quite sure she was just making shit up to make each book longer than the last.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I believe it was in grade 7. Books with too much description annoy me. I think that's why I don't read books anymore, most of them bore me to tears.



I gave up at the 4th one and I completely agree. They were endless description and nay action.

 



__________________
"Coolness is fascism" - Shirley Manson


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2256
Date:

I gave up at the 4th one too. It could be about 100 pages long if she made the shit more compact.

__________________

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete





Baby Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:

"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck.. I just couldn't get past the first chapter.

__________________


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 285
Date:

The Shining and Salems lot, not that I was scared, they just kinda dragged on =/

__________________

I am a traveller of both time and space.



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Date:

I was barely able to get through Twilight. I did it, and it felt like I'd climbed a mountain in brain terms. A really boring mountain with no nice scenery, no food, no water, barely enough oxygen. You get the picture.

I'm surprised a few people found it so hard to get through Orlando, I've found it the easiest of Virginia Woolf's novels that I've read. I thought it was just completely mad and brilliant, it's one of my all-time favourite books.

__________________


Seasoned Mookster

Status: Offline
Posts: 66
Date:

The Silmarillion. It's a challenge in my family to see how far you can get. I've actually got the furthest - chapter 7. And my bookmark is still at that page, gathering dust, so I can tell none of my family have even picked it up in about six years.

__________________

~doxy



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 188
Date:

American Psycho

__________________
Please don't judge me.... I'm not very well


Mookface (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2257
Date:

Darahgna wrote:

American Psycho




I just clicked on this thread to write that exact same thing!!! I'm having a real dilemma, it's really compulsive reading but it's making me feel more and more sick as I get through the chapters. I want to put it down and not pick it up again, but at the same time I want to read more... I do feel a bit sick, but in a good way..?!



__________________




Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2919
Date:

I made it through The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. BUT ONLY JUST.
I hated the main character and most of the way Nick writes. Bleh.
Also: too much talk of vaginas.

__________________

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

 

Silly Whore.



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2443
Date:

Antonym wrote:

 

Darahgna wrote:

American Psycho




I just clicked on this thread to write that exact same thing!!! I'm having a real dilemma, it's really compulsive reading but it's making me feel more and more sick as I get through the chapters. I want to put it down and not pick it up again, but at the same time I want to read more... I do feel a bit sick, but in a good way..?!

 




I haven't attempted the book, but I have the same problem with the film - I've attempted to watch it twice but haven't managed to finish either time because it makes me feel too sick. Not because it's too graphic, just because...I don't know! Does it just have an emetic effect?



__________________
Kittens.


Mookface (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2257
Date:

^ I finished it today. The book is SO much more gory than the film, though funnily enough it wasn't the gory bits that really got to me, it was his narration of his mindset. Very skillfully written, but took a lot of willpower to get through... I'd definitely recommend a read of it though, especially as you're an Eng Lang girl!

__________________




Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 292
Date:

Anna Karenina...maybe I just couldn't appreciate it because I was in middle school. confuse

__________________
Love and Peace.


Regular Crew

Status: Offline
Posts: 40
Date:

The Great Gatsby is one of my favourite books! I've read it 3 times. It's well worth finishing! It taught me so much about myself, and the world, God I wanna read it again!

I'm stuck with Dorian Gray, I'm feeling very guilty about that, but it's my day off today so I might blast away with it, I can't live with myself having not finished an Oscar Wilde book. :(

__________________

"You never need an argument against the use of violence, you need an argument for it"



Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2443
Date:

^ Dorian Grey is wonderful once you get into it. I found it took a while to get going, though :)

Just remembered, around this time last year, starting and abandoning The Naked Lunch. Absolutely impenetrable. Mentioned this to the boyfriend the other day, he borrowed my copy and is now devouring it. Bah.

__________________
Kittens.


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 852
Date:

"Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse. I have never read something so up its own arse in my life, I didn't even get past the first chapter!

__________________

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us