Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Books you couldn't get through

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Books you couldn't get through

Ones which plagued you until you just couldn't continue!

I'm halfway through Virginia Woolf's 'The Waves' and am feeling a large amount of triumph because I've tried no end of Woolf and just can't get anywhere: 'Mrs Dalloway', 'Orlando' and 'To The Lighthouse' are all sitting on my bookcase with bookmarks sitting somewhere near the start of each. She writes beautifully but just gets up my nose somehow.

Couldn't finish 'The Naked Lunch' because it annoyed me too much. Stylistic creativity just for the sake of it - a book may be groundbreaking, but if it's genuinely unreadable I really don't see the point in persevering.

I've had a bookmark sitting halfway through one particular PG Wodehouse novel for over a year, too, which upsets me as I usually love the man.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Orlando I got through by sheer persistance. I barely remember what happens in it though - by the end I was just rhythmically turning pages rather than actually getting into it.

Empire of the Sun is still on my shelves. It was a recommendation of a friend, but I just...can't. I couldn't get into it, sadly.

You may have a heart attack from non-surprise at this, but I, like everyone else on the fucking planet, am still reading The Name of the Rose. My aim was to read it in English and then attempt the Italian. Insert sardonic/hysterical laughter here. Maybe when I'm 90 I'll manage that...

Weirdly, I read Sophie's World as a little girl and adored it. Tried to read it recently, and couldn't. It scrambled my brain too much, and I was too stressed to roll with it. Maybe in the future I'll manage it again.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Women In Love by DH Lawrence. It just got so boring I had to put it down. Nothing happened, y'know?
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. War, I have discovered, is not my thing.

Can't remember any others. Dracula almost made the list, but it got looooads better towards the end:)

The more seeds you plant, the more flowers will grow.
Size Matters - Natasha Bedingfield
Tumblr & Twitter

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The Great Gatsby.

I TRIED I REALLY DID.
It was so dull, it was so blah. I put it on my book shelf in hope of one day I may be able to finish it.
Along with about a thousand other books I just don't have time for these days.

I have a blog:
Blog

MookyDuchess

Date:

Can't stand Lawrence, so never reading a great deal of his work is no loss, same with Thomas Hardy.

Had a good run up at Moby Dick and got bored by the vast amounts of information about whales. And whale blubber. Never even got to meet Captain Bligh and his ivory leg.

Joyce's Ulyssess and Finnigans' Wake are also on the unclimable book mountain, which is a huge shame.

And Gormanghast, which irks, as I was enjoying it, but just not enough.

I read the Great Gatsby in a day. The car crash gives it its purpose. Keep going.

See my pictures at this site.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The watch books by Terry Pratchett. For some reason Im just not keen on them. And Dorian Grey, I know it's supposed to be a classic, but dull just doesnt cover it.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Ah, I loved Dorian Grey!

Didn't like Pat Barker's Regeneration. I wish I did though because I reckon if I had been in the right mood, I could have devoured it.

It took me a couple of reads to get through pride and prejudice when I was younger, and I really should get around to reading Middlemarch...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Gothgirl, I didn't read the Watch series because they were so long- I got them on CD instead. Dad plays them in the car on long journeys so it's a lot easier.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I've just started reading "name of the rose" and so far I find it quite a page turner. maybe because I just ignore all the stuff in languages I don't know. I'll look it up next time around.

But there is another book by Umberto Eco that I left half way through: "Baudolino". It starts so well, and then the protagonist just turns boring. But I'll go back to it some day and hope that it picks up again.

Another one that glares at me from the bookshelf is "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson. Very interesting, but just too much effort to read. Some day, when I've graduated, I'll go back to it again.

Then there is books where I started hating the protagonist from page three and started flipping through to the end in the vain hope that she will meet a cruel fate, preferably some self insight and it's logical consequence: Suicide.
The last one of such books that I threw in the wall was "Confessions of a shopaholic". Urk. I felt contaminated from even reading about such a shallow horrible person and had to go through a cleansing ritual involving a long shower, a violent computer game and some good whisky.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

I second Pat Barker's Regeneration. Even worse was I was supposed to be writing an essay on it.

I must have been about 30 pages into Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep before I got completely lost and gave up interest.

I also had to practically force myself to sit down and finish The Lovely Bones, which was disappointing as I heard from so many people what a great book it was.

-- Edited by r0se_red on Monday 28th of December 2009 11:26:49 AM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Capulet wrote:

The Great Gatsby.

I TRIED I REALLY DID.
It was so dull, it was so blah. I put it on my book shelf in hope of one day I may be able to finish it.
Along with about a thousand other books I just don't have time for these days.

Yes, same!

God I hated F. Scott Fitzgerald for putting me through that torture... It was the main text for my AS exam, and half way through I just decided fuck it, I'll read the Sparknotes and wing it. I got 94%.

Until Gatsby the only book I hadn't finished was The Hobbit from when I was seven. SO much epic description!

Since then I haven't finished Virginia Woolf's The Waves, mainly because it was so unrealistic. It is stream of consciousness in a way that no one actually perceives the world. Drove me mad. Surrealism is wonderful, but not when you try to make it accessible.

I also never finished Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man by Joyce. Not because I didn't think it was wonderful and amazing, because I did, but every time I pick it up, something bad happens in my life, and Joyce just doesn't allow you to balance your life and reading at the same time.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

This thread makes me think of all the great books I've put off reading because I know I don't have the spare brainpower to read them since my life gets in the way.

I want to have a year off, living in a remote cabin in the forest and just read.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Kitty Fire wrote:

Can't stand Lawrence, so never reading a great deal of his work is no loss, same with Thomas Hardy.

Oh yus. I can't stand Hardy. I just can't warm up to his literary characters and his longwinded descriptions. Meh.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad. I finished it eventually, but didn't actually take any of it in.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. I REALLY wanted to know what happened at the end but unfortunately, getting to that part was to boring for me to manage.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Hobbit.

I got bored about three pages in and just couldn't force myself to read another unnecessarily long description of some pointless thing!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

You can get graphic novel variations of The Hobbit :D!
It cuts out the descriptive language and just cuts right to the plot. I read mine about 20 times in one month because I thought it was the greatest thing to ever exist. I must have been about 12 or something at the time. Haha.

I'm so glad other people couldn't get through The Great Gatsby too. I thought I was a failure for a good while haha.

I have a blog:
Blog

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wuthering Heights took me a while, as did Pride and Prejudice, but I managed to finish them both.

I hate not finishing books!
Gah.

The more seeds you plant, the more flowers will grow.
Size Matters - Natasha Bedingfield
Tumblr & Twitter

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Oh, THE MOONSTONE! loserbuttercup, just skip Betteredge's narrative and it all gets so much more exciting!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Regeneration is really good, but yeah, you do need to persist a bit. It's kind of infuriating like that, but worth it.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I heard that the third book is worth the struggle of the other two. I should try again, I guess!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

candiclaus wrote:

Oh, THE MOONSTONE! loserbuttercup, just skip Betteredge's narrative and it all gets so much more exciting!

Haha, I actually liked Betteredge's narrative. It was whoever came after him that pissed me off so much I couldn't finish the book :( I will try again one day though, because I've read The Woman in White by Collins before and that was pretty good as far as I remember.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Oh I can't remember. The ending is good though, maybe just skip to that?!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Maybe I should just read a summary on Wikipedia haha

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

OR WATCH THE FILM!!!! :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Anything by Darren O'Shaughnessy (Darren Shan), but especially The Saga of Darren Shan. I really didn't like his narrative style: "Before he could try again, Madam Octa lowered her head, quick as a snake, and sank her poison-tipped fangs deep into his neck!"

It's over-dramatised. The entire storyline is boring. It's not even scary - it might be slightly better if he didn't end every other sentence with exclamation marks! I've never been able to finish any of his books, and god I've tried. I didn't even want to see the film 'Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant'.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I know I overuse excamation marks, but I wouldn't in a novel. That just seems odd!

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Though I admit I love Stephen King, especially when taking long trips in the car because it's usually easy to get through the entire book by the end of the trip back home, I could never stand to finish The Stand or Pet Sematary. Both were just so hard to get through, so I gave up.

I also have had trouble for the longest time with anything Jane Austen. In fact, I don't think I've ever finished a Jane Austen book willingly, except when required for school. Something about her writing just puts a bug up my butt.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

Crime and Punishment by F. Dostoyevsky.
Which is actually a pity.

Eine deutsche Mooky :)

My modeling account (German).

I also got a DeviantArt account. Please feel free to add me :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ A pity indeed! It's an amazing book! Try reading it again, pleaaase? :D

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

1 2 35  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us