Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: PHOBIAS? whats yours...

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: PHOBIAS? whats yours...

Redshoes wrote:

Needles. I hate them, if I see one I can feel myself tensing up and starting to sweat, and I have gone faint before as well. I think I need help.

This and blood. Except periods, I don't mind them much.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I kicked my fear of failure which ironically is making me more successful at many things. I still have a fear of the sun (heliophobia) but I realize that I have a deep fear of being pregnant and childlabor (tocophobia/tokophobia). I have a Roman Polanski "Rosemary's Baby" view of myself being pregnant, it scares me to death and makes my stomache queasy just thinking about it. Tocophobia is the only phobia that I have that causes me to have nightmares

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Monday 27th of June 2011 04:57:00 PM

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Squirrel wrote:

Eyes. I am terrified of eye related gore. It's got to the point that I avoid watching films sometimes incase they have eye gore :( The worst thing is that it's got so much worse over time, and that because it's just a ridiculous exaggeration of a rational fear I can't condition myself out of it like I have with other things.

I also hate daddy longlegs but not as much as I used to. It's the scuttling noise and the way they move that bothers me.

Don't watch "Hostel" or "The Man With X-ray Eyes".

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My mum has a phobia of seeing people crowded together really closely, like in that skin cream advert where all the naked men and women are moving as one, or the Clive Barker story where the populations of two cities formulate giants to do battle with one another. It all stems from a dream she used to have as a child where lots of people would come into her room and squish on top pf her, suffocating her into the bed. She's also got a thing about seeing cables knotted together. For me, clusters of little holes close together freaks me out, but that one only struck me after reading about somebody else who didn't like them. I guess it stirred an underlying fear I didn't know about.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Regular Crew

Date:

Agree completely about the daddy long legses and eye gore, I have to look away from the telly if there is any eye gore.

-- Edited by Tabbiecat on Thursday 28th of July 2011 05:45:44 PM

Regular Crew

Date:

Oh, phone calls, absoloutley.

Regular Crew

Date:

Apart from what I've already said, sharks (I used to be scared of a shark attacking me in the bath or the shower, how daft is that?). Variations on sharks and other scary water-dwelling things I suppose, but seaweed touching my ankles when I'm swimming in the sea and deep water to a certain extent. The dark, but only if I'm by myself. At night when I'm the only one who's up, having my eyes closed when there's a background noise for too long, like in the shower or when I'm spraying deoderent, I become convinced that I'll open them and there'll be a psyco-axe-murderer-troll staring back at me or something. Similarly venturing downstairs really late and the curtains not being shut (people could look in at me menacingly); burglars. Big spiders (That's all Aragog from Harry Potter's fault! Before I saw Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I was fine with spiders. When I was little I even stroked a tarantula's legs!) I find it really creepy the way they move, the way their elbows go up higher than their backs, and their eyes freak me out. What do they need so many eyes for anyway? Agoraphobia, kind of. If I'm in a room I like the doors to be shut, which drives my family crazy, and I'm not keen on crowds and chaos going on around me from standing-up people when I'm sitting down, like when I'm sitting at the kitchen table and my Mum keeps walking backwards and forwards behind me and my brother and sister are having a row and my Dad walks in and talks loudly over the top of it all... That's a lot of phobias. I must sound like a very fearful person!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've developed one about pregnancy and child birth recently. I can't help but think it's a bit like alien; the idea of something growing inside you and then forcing its way out in an agonizing process... oh God, I'm so squeamish. All the horror stories mothers love telling about their own experiences don't help either. All the mums at my old child minders used to really like sitting down and discussing how painful their labour was, or all the awful things that happened to them during pregnancy like a bunch of kids telling ghost stories around a camp fire. I know it isn't the same experience for everyone, but to be honest I'd much rather adopt a baby and improve its life than go through all that just to make a new one. Plus I'm terrified my baby will end up with Hunters syndrome or another form of mental disability, both of which are highly likely to be in my genes.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I've had the misfortune to overhear a few of the girls at work who have kids talking about how "interesting" their births were. The details I'll spare,but I was just glad I hadn't eaten. That's before the tales of the doctors and consultants who think they're God...

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Oh god, me too! When I was forming my opinion on the abortion debate I researched pregnancy/labour and the effect it has on your body....the whole idea disgusts me now. I can't see why anyone would want to get pregnant, it boggles my mind. Especially when there are loads of children waiting to be adopted. I suppose the whole idea of an baby growing inside you would appeal to some. It seems so disgusting to me. I'm glad I'm not the only one! x

Previously known as "maria"

Pope Arlenmia's Humble Bishop Hat-Maker

my bookface

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It's all terribly inefficient,isn't it? I can see a future in which it's nationalized,mechanized,and automated. Mind you,that's what you get for reading bits and bobs of weird sci-fi futures...

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Social and School phobias, Diagnosed.
And Im pretty sure i have heliophobia And I think i have mild agoraphobia. And fish and sea weed.
And im terrified of woodlice. They just make me feel sick!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^The creature in "Alien" is based on a real one that actually exists. [shudder]

Florie wrote:

Social and School phobias, Diagnosed.
And Im pretty sure i have heliophobia And I think i have mild agoraphobia. And fish and sea weed.
And im terrified of woodlice. They just make me feel sick!

What's hellophobia? Not heard of that one.

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

skgogosfan wrote:

^The creature in "Alien" is based on a real one that actually exists. [shudder]

Woah, fuck off, you're kidding right? There's one more worry to add to my list of creatures partially mythical/possibly true. When I was a kid I used to be scared of encountering the infamous 'bum eel' in the seal, which... well, you can nimagine its purpose in life. The name is fairly self-explanatory. But my Mum saw this show once about this guy who peed in a Jungle river and this fish leapt out of the water and lodged itself in his uthera, so there's a chance the bum eel could actually be out there. I used to be scared of toilet monsters too- well, I'm not claiming there really are beats of the bog, but my Dad flushed a dead fish down the toilet once and the next time he went it was quite calmly sitting there in the bowl, fully alive, watching him *shudders*.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^If you can call a rat a beast,apparently the water in a toilet's u-bend doesn't necessarily stop them popping up from the sewer to say hi. The "Alien" creature I was thinking of was,I think [thanks IMDB trivia section!],a braconid wasp,which injects eggs inside certain caterpillars,resulting in fatal hatch-outs. Luckily the acid blood is entirely an invention. I did read about it in a book which I'll have to dig up. The same idea was used for the humanoid Magog in the sci-fi series "Andromeda",who also don't have acid blood but do spit venom.

Just think,mankind has only had about 2 million years to think up nightmarish creatures. Nature has had over 500 million to create them. [actually,don't think too much lol]

Dave.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have another one, it's silly but worms, slugs and snails. EUEUEURRURURURURUGHHHH. ):

Honoured Mook

Date:

Man I just think people don't like spiders because they're freaky little bastards. >.<
I know, that's quite biased against spiders. If not for them the insect population would overrun the earth. But seriously they can be freaky. At least the big ones are. >.>;

Daddy long legs are cool with me. ^^ They're all small and frail looking. But put anyone next to a bird eating spider I bet they'd shiver.

-- Edited by apple juliet sherry on Thursday 11th of August 2011 05:51:30 AM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Fear of childbirth and pregnancy is a specific phobia, and it's called tokophobia. It's way more common that people think!

My fear is blood tests, and people touching the soft bit on the inside of my arm where it bends, as a result of blood tests. Even thinking about blood tests makes me feel ill and when people touch that part of my arm I get really anxious and stressed out!

Note: I am not afraid of needles and I can tolerate pain well (my 22 piercings and one tattoo are testament to that). So logically speaking, my phobia makes zero sense! I think the concept of having blood sucked out of my body is the part of the whole ordeal that scares me.

-- Edited by weetabexx on Thursday 11th of August 2011 03:06:38 PM

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm not sure what the name for this phobia would be but I don't like crowds or busy places....I don't imagine it would be 'busyplaceophobia' or 'crowdophobia' though.

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^There is a name for it,but I forget what it is.

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Demophobia, enochlophobia, agoraphobia and ochlophobia are names for the phobias related to the fear of crowds.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

^Crumbs....that's a lot of phobias, I think I shall merge it to Demoenochloagoraochlophobia and that's me. I will never be able to spell it but it sounds impressive =)

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Bee

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I used to be absolutely petrified of spiders to the point that I had nightmares about them and everything but now I manage to keep myself pretty calm...unless they're really big :/

I used to love gore but other people's blood...uergh. I feel sick just thinking about it. Ninja cut his face shaving and even though it was just a pin prick of blood I wouldn't let him near me til it was gone. My own blood doesn't bother me at all though :/

I have a fear of being buried alive, I've read too many stories of it happening...

Also not really a fear, more of a pet peeve - I HATE when people stand too close to me, people who have NO spatial awareness whatsoever.

I don't mind being touched by people I like and know, and I don't mind hugs if I need them or if I iniate them (boyfriend hugs are almost always fine unless I'm in a REALLY 'don't touch me!!' mood) but I really dislike people who I don't know well touching or hugging me.

Bee.gif

«First  <  18 9 10 | Page of 10  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us