Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: PHOBIAS? whats yours...

Honoured Mook

Date:
PHOBIAS? whats yours...

I'm gonna be the first one to come out and say my phobia is odd..but I have Trypophobia, which is basically a fear of clusters of small holes...in my final year in biology I vomited all over my text book and the proceded to pass out onto the floor in front of my whole class when we studied xylem and phleom....ugh...

who else has a bad phobia?

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Puppets. The Muppets and Sesame Street are fine, but ALF, the puppets on Labyrinth, Gremlins, Crank Yankers, the puppet sheep on the Rams Home Loans ad... *shudder*

I'm also afraid of being surrounded by water. I don't swim.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spiders. I am absolutely terrified of spiders. Also, dolls (creeeeeepy) and large crowds of people, particularly strangers, but curiously, not in mosh pits. I think this is mostly because in the mosh pit it's socially acceptable to elbow anyone who gets a little bit tooo close/handsy.

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Large groups of people. I just cannot deal with large amounts of people. I also have a fear of heights, fast speeds(like rollercoasters) and spiders.

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Staplers and blood. My phobia of both were born on the same day, I was changing some staples and somehow managed to staple my finger. That was fine, just a bit sore, so I got my mum to pull it out and as soon as she did blood squirted right out of my thumb. I turned a luminous shade white and fainted almost immediately.

I now vomit and/or faint whenever I see blood (any blood at all, sometimes even fake, it's annoying) and I nearly cry when people put staplers in front of me :(.

I have a blog:
Blog

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spiders. Ack. Drowning, I can't swim because all my swimming teachers have always told me to put my head underwater and that terrifies me.

And being burnt alive. Especially in a house fire.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have some lovely phobias :(

Chiraptophobia- Fear of being touched
Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns
Melissophobia- Fear of bees

All pretty easy to live with though.

I can't be touched inless I go up to the person and allow them to touch me, because then I'm expecting it, but if someone brushes against me I get into a right state because they're going to hurt me. My friends knew that they were my friends when I let them put a hand on me. I still freak out when my family accidently touch me :( So I have to avoid mosh pits if possible, unless I'm really really drunk...it's less of a problem then.

I like spiders, snakes and fire....I cured myself of those by holding a spider, stroking a snake and being allowed to start a bonfire.

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a phobia of having the front of my neck touched. I have a scar on the front of it, which is actually a build-up of skin, and I have to get rid of it by scrubbing at it with a towel. I was practically crying the last time I had to do it :( I also have times where I can't sleep because my t-shirt's touching my neck, and so I have to sleep with a hand hooked in the collar to keep it away from my neck. It's really annoying...*grrr*

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ That's weird, I have a phobia of my neck being touched as well. Any of it, though, not just the front. It's not just the fact that it's being touched, but the physical sensation absolutely creeps me out and if there's the possibility that something might touch my neck I can convince myself I can feel it and get into a massive panic. I've been known to lash out without thinking if people touch it without warning me - I was in the queue in Lush once and my friend was behind me; he, messing about, put his hands round my neck, and I screamed, turned round and slapped him before I realised what I was doing. And there was one time in a Psychology lesson when we were talking about phobias and I mentioned mine, and my friend said 'What, like this?' and put his hand round my neck and WOULDN'T LET GO. I was screaming and crying and generally making a fool of myself and he couldn't see I was being serious :( Bad times. It's a bit awkward in intimate situations, though, as if the boy tries to kiss my neck I can suppress my reaction for a couple of seconds but then freeze and wriggle away. He's amazed by the fact that all he needs to do is touch my neck and I literally come out in goosebumps. Not in the good way, either :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a fear of my ankles being grabbed. If I walk up the stairs in front of people messing around, like in school, I feel really freaked out in case they grab my heels for a joke. I end up legging it up stairs trying not to scream.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm ridiculously scared of needles, every time I have my blood drawn I start shaking (and I faint afterwards) and I can't control myself at all, it's such a silly phobia. :(

Then there's my space issue, I get all nervous if people stand too close to me or if somebody accidentally touches me. Bleurgh.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Trypophobia, urgh. I've had it for years but never known what the term for it is.
I also have sociophobia, which is fear of people, and haptephobia, which is fear of being touched.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spiders.
I'm trying very hard to sort it out though.
And people trying to make me do cartwheels. Ahaha. Perfect way to reduce me to a wreck.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I have a fear of the dentist, snakes and loads of people.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a fear of bikes [which sounds so lame],fear of vomit and fear of rape.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Bearing in mind that a phobia is an irrational fear, I think fearing rape is pretty sound, really...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Lightbulbs. I'm afraid of them smashing. I don't really know why, all I can think of that spurred this was when my dad and I were putting a mattress on the top bunk of my bed and said 'Watch you don't smash the lightbulb.' Since then, I've been afraid. I've never been in the presence of a smashing lightbulb, and I don't know how I'd react if I ever witness it...
I'm also scared that I'll one day get the uncontrolable urge to put one in my mouth, and won't be able to get it out.

And that's what she said!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Okay...that definitely counts as irrational. Although I always get paranoid after I've done something like standing on a chair, and some part of my mind goes, 'Wouldn't it have been bad if you'd fallen off?' Then I have to panic for an hour about something that never happened. This is what comes of being a neurotic ^_^

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have a nice little collection of phobias...

I have social phobia, but I have improved quite a bit. I don't have panic attacks when leaving the house due to worrying people might speak to me anymore. ^_^

Then there's Doctors, people with beards, dentists, I used to be afraid of water but I've started going swimming every week and I'm okay with it now.

I'm not exactly afraid of heights, but I always worry about falling, to the extent that I wouldn't go anywhere near the edge of the balcony type corridors we had in one of our school buildings. My friends used to lean on the barriers just to freak me out.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't have any fears... is that odd?

Date:

"Odd" like unusual, but probably not "odd" like bad. Irrational fears don't serve much purpose, though I suppose "fear" of being hit by a car and similar dangerous/common sense things is healthy.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have the usual fear of spiders.
I fear drowning although I can swim (just not underwater) and I hate getting water splashed on my face, I can't put my face under the shower - I have to sort of tilt side to side to wash my hair.

What is it about people with beards that freak people out? My dad has a beard so it's never been an issue with me, I know it's unusual now for men to have beards but I see so many kids staring at him like he's really scary (though when it all goes white he'll look like santa claus smile.gif)

Date:

Maybe because they hide the face?
A teacher at my school had a huge beard for like 15 years - when he shaved it off, he discovered there was skin cancer under there. I suppose that's not relevant to the fear thing, but if I were a man it would discourage me from growing one.
But... err... I'm gonna go with the "mask" theory. Maybe it's that anything obscuring view of the face affects people subconsciously, making the bearded person seem untrustworthy due to their expressions not being able to be read.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

[-Doe-] wrote:

I don't have any fears... is that odd?

Having no FEARS is a bit odd yes, are you honestly not scared of anything?! As for not having a PHOBIA though, that is believeable and probably true.

I have no phobias myself, fears, definitely, but no phobias. I wonder how many things listed on here are actually phobias...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spikeyfaerie wrote:

I can't put my face under the shower - I have to sort of tilt side to side to wash my hair.

Oh I forgot about that one! I freak out and splutter if my face goes under the shower. I think it was from a time I went canyoning (that's what the instructor called it) and we had to put our heads under this small but really powerful waterfall to see a little cave on the other side. I hated the force of it on my face and almost inhaled a load of river water. Since then I can't put my face under running water. Especially  since I have a power-shower which just blasts it's user to oblivion. That's made it even worse.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Mine would be claustrophobia (enclosed spaces.)
It comes from when I was little, like 4 or something, and I got stuck in a lift in a hotel on holiday. I was hysterical inside this lift, and one of the maids rescued me, but as she couldn't speak english, she shouted at me in spanish to try and calm me down. Instead, it just made me worse.
Bleuuuught.

I also used to have a phobia of gas masks. They freaked me out, I couldn't even look at a picture of one without being on the verge of a panic attack.
My friend cured that one though- he took me to a war exhibition at our local museum/art gallery, where there was loads of displays with gas masks on them and most of the artwork had a gas mask in it somewhere. I was freaking out and hitting him and telling him how much I hated him, but he just stood me in front of a giant painting of people wearing gas masks, holding my arms so I couldn't run away, and asking me "why are you afraid of them? Look at it, look at it! It's not going to hurt you!" and the longer he made me stand there, the more I realised he was right. Eventually I stopped squirming and actually started to enjoy this artwork in front of me.
I've been fine since then.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Regular Crew

Date:

Spiggy wrote:

I'm ridiculously scared of needles, every time I have my blood drawn I start shaking (and I faint afterwards) and I can't control myself at all, it's such a silly phobia. :(

How I share your pain :( I can't take needles either... It really, deeply sucks. I can't get blood drawn, I can't watch someone get blood drawn, I can't watch it on tv if someone is being stung with a needle. Piercing? Nono.

I also fear sleeping outside of my house.. I am currently working on ridding it from my life (Going great, actually!)
Have had it for as long as I can remember. Its a horrible fear.. I went to spain for a week with my collegeclass and on the first night I lay in cramps, coldsweat and hyperventilating tears because I just wanted to go home. Its a kind of homesickness, but I really fear that while I am away, somehting bad will happen to my family. So its kind of OCD mixed with homesickness. Sucks.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think I have a phobia of pain actually, as in even aciddently cutting my thumb with a knife. So irrational...

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

Regular Crew

Date:

I have a serious phobia of feet.

i can deal with feet in shoes or in socks. but naked feet make me feel sick. if i'm in bed with my partner they have to wear socks. I'm ok with my own feet but socks is ALWAYS the first thing that does on in the morning th and last to come off at night.

i have to turn the tv over when feet come on the tv. you'd be suprised how many adverts they feel need naked feet in them. sofa ads.. they are the worst!!

all my friends find it hilarious and take every oprtuinty to torment me about it. they gt the feet out and wiggle them at me. at the pub, when we go out, at festivals, randomly during the day. if weareatching tv usually a foot will appear next to my face.
one time, one touched me and i fained.

err is that extreme??

Lush Guru

Date:

Yes!!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us