Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Gig Tickets

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Gig Tickets

So, I didn't manage to get tickets for Greenday in October.

I'm eBaying and all those "sold out, get tickets" websites.  Now, the original tickets are £35 for standing.

What's the cheapest I can see them for?  £93 each!!!   And that's on a bidding auction so I know they'll go for at least the £100+ that all the other tickets are at.

I love Greenday and I really really want to go but seriously, 3 times the ticket price to stand in the SECC in Glasgow - it's a barn, it's shit for gigs and unless you've got pyrotechnics and a huge stage show then it's not the best venue (but you can get loads of people in it).

I hate that people buy tickets for shows just to put them on eBay and make a fortune from them.  I don't really mind touts who actually turn up to the show and buy spares and sell them on but seriously!!!!

I WANT GREENDAY TICKETS AT FACE VALUE!!!!

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Scalpers suck, big time.
I'm one of those crazies who stay at home refreshing the ticket sales web page on the day they go on sale and snap them up straight away. I've been hurt too many times...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i didn't realise there was a tour or I'd have been on the day they went on sale. Only cos of a post in the music forum did i even know anything about it!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I ended up paying £130 for two standing tickets to Green Day. Ebay...
My friend and I were desperate though, so it became a kind of birthday present thing. Prices are insane though

I have a blog:
Blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I expect some mark-up and paying a bit more through the auction but starting prices at £90 is just ridiculous!  I can't justify paying that.  We're a bit skint every month and we've got a trip to London to finance next month.  If I was working it'd be ok.

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Thursday 18th of June 2009 09:46:05 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

That's just ripping people off. You should try nearer the time, the prices might go right down. Some people might grow a soul and be reasonable with prices. I hope that happens for Biffy. Tickets aren't even out yet but I'm skint. I second the not working thing. *Sob*

I have a blog:
Blog

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Ah, this thread makes me so happy that the bands I like the most are less well known.

My best concert experiences have all cost about 10 euros.

For 90 pounds I'd expect a whole festival (indeed, the festival I'm going to next week costs less than that) or John Bonham being resurrected from the dead to do a Led Zeppelin reunion.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

i agree its not fair that people who eitherhave mega fast internet or spend all day refreshing the tickets. In my opinion tickets should go on sale before 9am so that everyone can have a chance to see them. I feel v sorry for you and hope that you do get to see them xx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think eBay should implement a policy whereby gig tickets must be sold on a buy it now at no more than maybe 1.5times the original ticket price...hate hate hate hate hate ebay

Date:

That wouldn't really be fair, gig tickets are no different to any other item, they can't just place restrictions on them.

Most ticket sales places have a limit on how many tickets each customer can buy, and I guess that's all you can really do.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Well, as my dad said it's going to get to a point where the people scalping them are making them so expensive that very few people will buy them and the venue will be half empty but sold out.  Then they'll have to do something.

Kind of like when you buy your ticket for an airoplane, each ticket has a name on it and you'd have to show ID with your ticket.  And if you need to change the ticket cos maybe someone can't go then you have to go to the ticket booth at the venue to return the ticket to get refunded.

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Friday 19th of June 2009 09:34:37 PM

Date:

That second part about plane tickets would make sense, as long as it was easy enough to buy tickets for other people (which I've done lots of times).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

yeah, you'd just have to give the names of everyone and each ticket would be printed with the individual's name. Would mean you couldn't sell them on but then, that's the point of my rant! lol!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

thats how they got round it at glastonbury and it worked!!!!

Honoured Mook

Date:

I HATE how tickets get sold on Ebay and such paces for crazy prices!
When I bought Muse tickets last month, those of us on the mailing list got a link to a pre-sale the day before the official sale. There were tickets on Ebay within ten minutes of the pre-sale starting. It makes me sick that people used a fan mailing list to flog the tickets elsewhere. Ugh.

By the way, a good trick if you're unlucky during that horrible sitting and hitting refresh for ages stage after the tickets are first released is often to phone the ticket company during the afternoon of the first day of sale. As credit cards bounce and people find they've ordered more tickets than they're allowed to all at once, tickets start to trickle back on sale, but don't make it onto the website. I did this for Muse, phoned Seetickets, got through straight away and bought 3 tickets, easy as anything.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Man i hate it when you try and buy gig tickets from ebay, ive just had a rant about ebay aswell... there has been a few bands i really wanted to see but couldnt afford to go because they charge way to much... There are some greedy people in this world.

Is inside of here

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm resurrecting this thread.

A rant about booking fees and such.

My Chemical Romance. Ticket price £26.50.

Booking Fee; £3.50.

Transaction fee: £5.25.

Total cost of ticket, £35.25! Argh!!!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i always sign up for my favourite bands newsletters online, that way you find out well in advance when they're playing and quite often there are discounts available, win - win situation!

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is pre-sale time. They go on sale to general public on the 18th.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The transaction/booking fee thing pisses me off, too! When I got my TBM tickets I went to a music shop because they were selling them there and they charged me five dollars each to print the damn things!

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

urgh, I hate booking fees. I had to buy a train ticket home since there's no way I'm getting there otherwise, and they charged me 15 flipping percent of the price of the ticket! Rip off, but I had to do it otherwise I'd be stranded! It's flipping daylight robbery!

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Honoured Mook

Date:

AHHH! Booking fee related rage makes me a sad girl. I know it doesn't take nearly a tenner to print some words on a piece of card and post it to me!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us