Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: When are you too old to wear gothic visual kei fashion?

Baby Mook

Date:
When are you too old to wear gothic visual kei fashion?

Hello,

I am 24 years old and I am new to this site. I have been going to college part time for the past 5 years for my nursing degree and at this point in life, I am damn sick of continuing it. frustrated.gifIt took way longer to major in my nursing then I had imaged. During ages 19-23, all I have been doing was work full time and going to college. I have not enjoyed my late teenage years at all. I still live at home, I work all the time, and I rarely go out with friends, I'm trying to pay out my college loan debt, and I don't have a boyfriend. cryI want to change my life around. The only thing that makes me happy anymore is internet shopping for visual kei punk rock clothes.biggrin I got into these clothes since last year in December, my closet is almost full of these visual goth clothes. But I sometimes wonder, I am too old to wear these clothes? hmmIs there an age limit to wearing gothic clothes? I just want to hear some opinions on this matter, whether I will listen to them or not.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Why would there be a age limit to clothes you can wear?

It might look a little bit silly with, say, a 50 year old in pink, knee length frilly dresses, but at least it's better than 50 year olds' who "act their age" by wearing boring beige and grey clothes whether it suits them or not...

I guess it depends on how much you care what strangers think about you. At your age, wearing that style of clothes probably will make people think you are younger than you actually are. Which is a pain in the ass, but it shouldn't stop you from wearing what you like.

As for the rest of the post, maybe it would be an idea to stop shopping so that you can afford to work less? That way you can actually get a life...
Go to the pub or a gig or an evening course in belly dancing instead, meet some people.

-- Edited by Irilar on Thursday 14th of May 2009 07:03:20 AM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Answer: You are NEVER too old for gothic visual kei punk fashion!

I don't know *exactly* what it is, but it sounds pretty awesome, and it makes you happy - and there is no age limit for having fun and being happy, right? :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Uhh well I'm nearly 28 and I love wearing stuff like that...actually, I wear more outrageous clothes now than I ever did at 19/20 etc...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You are never to old for gothic clothing! As long as you think it looks nice then who gives a fuck about other peoples opinions! Beside if you look at Kamijo from Versailles he wears Gothic Lolita and he is 33!

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

Regular Crew

Date:

Never.

You should go into the rock club in my city...I've seen people as old as 60-70 in there dressed up like that.. I think it's very cool.

Honoured Mook

Date:

60-70 in LoliGoth? Maybe there is an age limit...
But 23? no way. You are "at your prime" (whatever that means) and who cares if you don't look like a prepubescent 12 year old.
As long as you love the clothes, wear them.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Honoured Mook

Date:

No way. Look at abby from ncis. She's 30 something and still looks fab in goth, and TV is always right.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

You're only too old for it if you feel you're too old/have outgrown it.

While I think there should be nothing against a person wearing a fashion at any age, I'd be just as happy for the little old lady who was content to wear stereotypical frumpy dresses and babushkas (like my grandmothers do :D) as I would be the one who wants to rock six inch heels, fishnets, and neon colored clothing paired with kickass hairfalls. It's about personal preference and what makes you feel like a mighty woman, not what society thinks you should conform to based on age.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

well, i know a 72 year old woman, who is a goth.
she completely pulls it off.
there is no age limit, as long as you make sure it suits you.
and if you had to be younger than 24 to be into this stuff, there would be a LOT less lolita goths etc in the world
(:

i'll write here later

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Abby from NCIS is actually in her 40s! But she looks really young. Every Goth I know looks amazing for their age, there's no limit on what suits you, as long as you dress to suit your figure.

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

yep, wear whatever makes you happy.

I'm soon to be 40 and still wear whatever takes my fancy, although the 7 1/2 inch heels are a bit much when walking the dog, so it's big boots and skinnies for that!

you sound like you need to get some of these clothes on and go have some fun in them smile.gif

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

There's definately no age limit on alternative dress. You may do the goth thing a bit differently than a 16 year old but you can still do a more mature version, or just whatever suits your personality!

~Facebook~

~Youtube Channel~

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^^ You look amazing!!!! There's no way you can even consider being 40 soon! I love your hair.

You can never be too old to dress how you want, I refuse to believe that!

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Becki Boo wrote:

You can never be too old to dress how you want, I refuse to believe that!

I applaud this statement. I also think it's nice to deliberately NOT dress my age. When I was a teen I wore a lot of granny dresses (literally, I took my grandmother's dresses) and I still think I looked fabulous in them.

Hopefully, when I get to granny age I will have a mohawk, a corset and wrinkly arms all covered with tattoos.
My mum got a picture of her grandmother, no mohawks or anything but this little old granny atop a big motorcycle. It's so cool. Whenever I read about Granny Weatherwax I always imagine my great grandmother's expression from that pic.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Lush Guru

Date:

Granny Weatherwax?! What a rad name!!

One of my best friends borrows clothes from her grandmother, and she looks completely ace. Granny chic!

Baby Mook

Date:

Thanks so much for your advice!aww I will keep on wearing my visual kei gothic clothing and keep on rocking!!biggrin I soon hope to find a guy who like to do the same!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us